Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Dabir posted:

As the planet got further and further into space, the surface became uninhabitable, so the few remaining Mondasians went underground. As they couldn't afford to lose people, they kept everyone going by replacing damaged parts, first with organic parts from the dead, then with cybernetic prostheses. After a while, it got to the point that anyone who saw the sky for the first time, after a lifetime underground, went mad immediately.

In order to bring the planet back to where it came from, they constructed a giant rocket on the surface to push it back the other way, using the only people who could survive: fully augmented workers with even their emotions removed. The Cybermen.

And I believe, according to Spare Parts (canon until potentially proven otherwise by this week's episode), this major shift happened around the equivalent of their early-mid 20th century. Technology from that time remained and stagnated because all innovation instead had to go into that whole 'not dying in the cold expanse of space' thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

The awkward sister series is coming back to Big Finish!

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/877819779024695296

Holy poo poo, they recast Dayna! Guess they finally gave up on Josette Simon.

Now we can get proper Season 4 episodes with the Scorpio! :dance:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cleretic posted:

And I believe, according to Spare Parts (canon until potentially proven otherwise by this week's episode), this major shift happened around the equivalent of their early-mid 20th century. Technology from that time remained and stagnated because all innovation instead had to go into that whole 'not dying in the cold expanse of space' thing.

Yeah, in Spare Parts the city is described as looking like 1950s London, if I remember rightly.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Look up Cyberleader David Banks' book "Cybermen" from the 90s if you want to see someone explain away and label all the various evolutions of the Cybermen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Very minor spoiler I'll bring over from the spoiler thread, the singsong Mondasian voices are apparently unchanged

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well I think I know where this season's production budget has gone. This will probably mean they spent next to nothing on effects:

https://www.space.com/37295-possible-planet-10.html

quote:

Planet 10? Another Earth-Size World May Lurk in the Outer Solar System

Way to overdo the publicity Moffat jeez! :jerkbag:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just discovered the song Tallulah sings in Daleks in Manhattan has a reprise in the End of Time during the Doctor's scene with Captain Jack :psyduck:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I unironically really like that song

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm rewatching the first series and while both of the farting aliens episodes are bad (someone said one of them was good?), they're easier to watch, because you can say "Well, they're annoying, but this is probably a better government than a theoretical Theresa May/DUP alliance.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

They're both good.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
there's three
two parter intro and boom town
boom town get really, really good after the fart and poop jokes stop. "Only a killer would know that."

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

SiKboy posted:

How hard can it possibly be to get fake rocks that arent obviously fake? Because that was some big grey polystyrene bullshit right there. Apart from that episode was pretty okay. And took me a minute to recognise "tell that to kanjiklub" as one of the romans.

Somewhere between 'really hard' and 'not possible' hard.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm really bummed that we're probably only going to have two more episodes with Bill in them. I've really enjoyed her character and she could have used used some more time on the show.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Is she definitely not in the Christmas episode?

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I just discovered the song Tallulah sings in Daleks in Manhattan has a reprise in the End of Time during the Doctor's scene with Captain Jack :psyduck:

Another fun music fact: the remix of Don't Stop Me Now from Mummy On The Orient Express is playing in the diner at the start of Hell Bent

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

She's not even definitely leaving, as far as I know, it's just a (pretty credible) rumor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If she doesn't leave, I'll be very surprised. Chibnall seems to want to draw a complete line under the Moffat era.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

echoplex posted:

Somewhere between 'really hard' and 'not possible' hard.

Any chance of an explanation? Rock sets have always bothered me as well.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKAO8H8qv1A

Hm...laser vs sonic

This should be good

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

If she doesn't leave, I'll be very surprised. Chibnall seems to want to draw a complete line under the Moffat era.

Given the rumors about the Christmas special, I suspect they had a clean exit planned from the start.

If they do, I hope they don't rollback things like they did with Clara even though I like Bill.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mokinokaro posted:

Given the rumors about the Christmas special, I suspect they had a clean exit planned from the start.

Chris Chibnall promises to be a strong and stable showrunner because Moffxit means Moffxit.

<CUT TO 2018 - ARLENE FOSTER IS THE THIRTEENTH DOCTOR>

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Just use real rocks. Are there no quarries left?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv22tftlCWU

If we don't get a scene half as just

Amazing

As this

This up coming episode will be a total wash. Just, everyone is so out rages and furious, and the Cyberman could not give less of a poo poo if he wanted. "Age? Age? Age?"

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Just use real rocks. Are there no quarries left?

Real rocks get drat heavy and unwieldy and moving them is expensive.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And no-one wants to try lighting caves with a basic BBC OB unit.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

NPR Journalizard posted:

Real rocks get drat heavy and unwieldy and moving them is expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS0bCSLx8JI

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Astroman posted:

Holy poo poo, they recast Dayna! Guess they finally gave up on Josette Simon.

Now we can get proper Season 4 episodes with the Scorpio! :dance:

I was worried for a bit there, the B7 lot seem so weird about putting something out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/morganjeffery/status/878282263670046720

Here's a link to a fun little piece looking back on the history of Big Finish, and their relationship with the BBC. Amusing that Moffat was at the initial meeting between Briggs and the BBC, but walked out

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

So not having an exhaustive knowledge of the original run, the Mondasian cybermen are an entirely different unconnected species from later Cybermen?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Senor Tron posted:

So not having an exhaustive knowledge of the original run, the Mondasian cybermen are an entirely different unconnected species from later Cybermen?

It was explained a bit ago, but basically, the Mondasian Cybermen are the O.G. Cybermen. The Cybermen that were around for most of the later series and the non-alternate-universe new series ones were 'Telos Cybermen'. They're basically a direct ancestor though, Telos was colonized by the Cybermen back when they were the 'Mondasian Cybermen' and they became that more familiar shape after that.

So the Mondasians are more like version 1.0 of a series that we're largely familiar with from 3.0 onward.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

jivjov posted:

https://twitter.com/morganjeffery/status/878282263670046720

Here's a link to a fun little piece looking back on the history of Big Finish, and their relationship with the BBC. Amusing that Moffat was at the initial meeting between Briggs and the BBC, but walked out

Reading that, I don't think that meeting was with the beeb, I think it was just them asking a load of writers to pitch to them. Interesting that Moffat only wanted to write for 8 considering how much of a 5 fan he is.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Reading that, I don't think that meeting was with the beeb, I think it was just them asking a load of writers to pitch to them. Interesting that Moffat only wanted to write for 8 considering how much of a 5 fan he is.

It's pretty clear now that Moffat wanted to write stories that left a mark on the character, and the best way to do that is with the most recent incarnation. There was likely an understanding on the part of everyone involved that big continuity and character changing stuff was not likely going to be part of stories told about the Doctors who have already had their run. You want to leave your prints on the show, it has to be on the version of the show that has yet to be completely defined.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Moffat actually talked about this in a DWM. BF had invited him, along with other writers, to pitch ideas, and Moffat candidly admitted to walking out early after telling them that the whole project was doomed to fail. He then admitted that he couldn't believe how stupid he had been and hoped that they would welcome him back when things like Coupling and Jekyll, and Doctor Who got in the way.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

ewe2 posted:

I was worried for a bit there, the B7 lot seem so weird about putting something out.

With Gareth dying and Paul Darrow's health taking a turn for the worse I figured they had given up on the range. It's a shame Josette won't give BF a chance to show her how they can redeem the character she detests so much, particularly as she's worked with them on other stuff but now we can revisit literally half the show which before could only be done with "Dana is missing or back at base" stories.

Now if Lidster could just get over his odd "we can't recast people on Dark Shadows" hangup (which is particularly dumb since American soaps do that ALL THE TIME) we can have some stories with Roger, Elizabeth, Julia, Professor Stokes, and proper Barnabas.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Darrow is usually the fly in the ointment because he owns important rights, so I just figured he'd called a halt to it all. It's interesting that he changed his mind.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And here we... go.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's a big loving ship!

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

That was a pretty good space vfx. I like it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"You're probably handsome, aren't you?" :3:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm digging missy taking the piss out of the core premise of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Very meta, Exposition and Comic Relief.

• Locked thread