Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

The Eleventh Hour is so loving good. Hell, just that opening section with the new Doctor and little Amelia Pond is amazing by itself.

Man I gotta rewatch THAT!

It's the ending for me.

"Basically...run."

As a heads up, I'm out of the review game. I just flat out don't have the time thanks to President Trump's major mishandling of our foreign policy - the time or the energy or the give a drat.

It's a rare morning when I don't slam down the phone and ask "where the gently caress is Colin Baker when I need him?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Well now Trump has just gone too far!

I do hope you are still listening when you get a chance. My commute has changed and I'm struggling just to keep up with regular podcasts at the moment so I'm listening to far less Big Finish than I'd like to be - plus now they've got a television version of Doctor Who going too? Talk about cashing in!

My walk to the commuter bus is where I get some listening done, usually about 20-30 minutes worth. Less then before, but it's still new Who to me.

If anything, discovering Bojack Horseman is what's cutting into my listening time!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Edited because spoilers. Must remember that there is a spoiler thread.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 6, 2017

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

One day soonish he'll get to meet my black boyfriend, and won't that be fun?

An English version of Get Out?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

It was a painted rubber mat. I was there yesterday (if you scroll up on this very page you'll see).

Painted rubber mat?!? Man don't tell me they're cutting the special effects budget AGAIN...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Kinda odd seeing the TARDIS hovering over that one story house like that.

...you beautiful beautiful mod you.

Also, happy birthday to the one and only Peter Davison!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wallet: (to CobiWann) Now listen to me, you young idiot; you're not so much gullible as you are idealistic...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I actually don't own most of these! :woop:

I mean... I didn't own most of these.... :cripes:

It's just more Doctor Who you haven't experience before!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I did appreciate the use of Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart.

I liked this episode, which may become one of my favorite season openers. I got a little verklept at seeing River and Susan (mainly Susan) on the Doctor's desk, I enjoyed Bill and Bill's dynamic with the Doctor, and even Matt Lucas added more than he took away (one of my fears).

Only real complaint? Random Dalek appearance. Daleks should be the centerpiece of an episode and not used as a Dalek Ex Machina.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Senor Tron posted:

Did anyone else get the feeling that the bigger on the inside boxes explanation was a nice joke version of the Fourth Doctors boxes explanation?

If you think about it, the explanation makes perfect sense.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Burkion posted:

And was supposed to have been evil what

Twice?

Insufficient data.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So with the broadcast of The Pilot as the Spring special, how long do we have to wait for the next episode?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Impressed by the episode for sure. Good dialogue, loved the set design, and it's always cool to see how the Doctor reacts to being wrong.

Question though - I got a major vibe at the end that was along the lines of "telling newcomers to respect and negotiate with the natives." Definitely could make a case for colonization, but I got a "refugees coming to a new country for asylum" vibe, especially with the history picture book in the tomb and all the pictures of conflict and the references to The Beast Below/The Ark in Space.

Not a bad thing like the Zygon two-parter but I went to refugees instead of colonists.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6IQkMhXEMM

In which Pearl talks about Valencia which can basically be summed up as "It's pretty. It's hot. There was a lot of blue jelly and the people were nice."

Re shoots for The Two Doctors?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

I'm happy you're glad!

Smile, JessicaThe_Doctor.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

SpaceCommie posted:

There's no way the Doctor would actually have the patience to mark things academically. A quick scan through and a mark based on how interesting he thought it was.

Well maybe six would give it the time it needs, but twelve would get bored halfway through an abstract and go and play guitar instead.

Now I'm seeing Six give the "Physics" speech from School Reunion and I didn't know how badly I want someone to ask Colin to read it at a convention.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Eight is the weary burned out manager who once had a dream of playing music and snogging redheads.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

jivjov posted:

I won't derail this thread too far...but I am absolutely in love with the Fantasy Flight Star Wars RPG. The funny dice, while yes are a separate purchase, are such an integral part of the game's experience. Having the three axis success/fail, threat/advantage, triumph/despair setup is SO much nicer than binary "win/lose"

West End's D6 system did the same thing with the Wild Die in what I felt was a much simpler and easier-to-incorporate manner.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Intelligence is knowing Frankenstein is the name of the doctor.

Wisdom is knowing Frankenstein is the name of the monster.

My wife used Big Finish's version of the story for extra credit in her English class while teaching the book. It's really well done if anyone's interested and it goes on sale from BF.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Robocop crossover time

Clarence Boddicker vs. the Daleks. I'd pay to see that.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

spectralent posted:

Jesus christ :cripes:

Is there any way around email registration? Because so far as I know the over 75 licence is still per household and my grandma sure as hell doesn't have an email address.

Sounds like the guy enforcing the licencing fee is a right bleedin' bastard.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Oh God all of Doctor Who is just an episode of The Scary Door!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
OK, I'm sorry for asking here, but better here than anywhere on the Internet.

The gently caress is "bi erasure?"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Then what's the difference between "bisexual" and "bi-curious?" Is there one?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Ah, man..I know people want to be more sensitive and open-minded, but just let people bang who they want to bang, as long as it's consensual and above the age of consent, and leave it at that. Stop labeling everything.

Between this and my stepdaughter insisting Nirvana was a one-hit wonder because "Weird Al" only covered one of their songs, I'm getting too old for all of this.

This has been Cobi's "Get Off My Lawn" moment, brought to you by Turlough's Rock Gardening.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

sunnyboy posted:

Interesting logic. According to that, Madonna is also a "one hit wonder" as are many other artists / bands. In fact, only Michael Jackson would qualify otherwise???

(and artists like Prince therefore don't even exist???)

When Prince died I had his Greatest Hits CDs in my car and listened to it driving to church.

From the backseat she asked me if it was a boy or a girl singing.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Did you reply,"Yes."?

No, but she did hear me screaming in the kitchen this morning something along the lines of "HOW THE gently caress DOES KEITH RICHARDS OUTLIVE CHRIS CORNELL?!?"

As for the t-shirt vs dialogue thing, we've all been on the Internet and seen how people will take any shred of evidence, no matter how thin or flimsy, and use it to justify their personal beliefs about anything - guns, health care, sexuality, Alexa Bliss...

For a local take, may I refer you to the TV IV case of "The Office" vs 'I Acquit?"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

Another day volunteering at the BBC costume department and everyone keeps asking if they can gently caress Bill's t-shirt. Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress the shirt.

I'm having G-rated flashbacks to DoctorWhat's coat...

...which reminds me. DoctorWhat, in case I never told you - I'm the one responsible for your current avatar.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
“Air, Water, Food, Beer.”

It's the moments like this that make me love this show.

I know some people don't care for it, but Twelve and his guitar has become my "Five + celery" and "Seven + Spoons" pairing in that whenever I think of Twelve it's going to be Capaldi in his sunglasses with that guitar.

I just wish there had been a chance for a Craig Ferguson cameo at some point this season to bring the band back together. But good for Craig, he's currently busy hosting the #2 radio show in America!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Whoa whoa whoa!

There's a Series 3 of Broadchurch?!? Why the hell doesn't anyone notify me about these things?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

Whatever the future holds, I'm probably going to watch this show either way because, let's be honest, if I could get through The Twin Dilemma...

Wait...what if The Twin Dilemma was just the Monks' way of asking for us fans to give consent?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Brian May?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Happy birthday to Colin Baker!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

*taps fingers* Interesting...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So what I'm gathering from this thread is I should finally get around to watching I, Cladius in its entirety?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Nah, they did rattle through it all with some speed. I only know because I watched with subtitles.

I could never watch this show with subtitles. Half the fun for me as a viewer is having some of what the Doctor says fly right over my head.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Davros1 posted:

So Gatiss and Moffat are going to be doing Dracula series for the BBC.

Didn't Gatiss do Dracula for Big Finish?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The patient tapping out "PAIN" over and over again. :stonk:

I think with Capaldi/Gomez in these final episodes we've gone full circle back to the Pertwee/Delgado camaraderie and I'm loving it, especially the line about how Missy was too busy burning the stars.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

And the actual explanation be damned, I still say the Ainley-Master went to the trouble of making a cardboard cutout of himself and propped it up in a doorway behind the Doctor so he could go take a nap.

Context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So does this fall under the "David Warner makes everything awesome" rule?

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/coming-soon---king-lear

• Locked thread