Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

My daughters have been watching a show called "Glitter Force" is that bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I checked and there's no sub option on Netflix, which sucks cause they prefer subs, too.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

This is getting very complicated for me.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Does the original Sailor Moon series hold up well? My daughters started reading the manga and seem pretty excited about it.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Endorph posted:

it's very episodic but also really fun. though the series does have some weird moments wrt lesbianism, so maybe talk to your daughters about that kinda stuff depending on their ages.

Yeah we've made it clear that it's okay for girls to kiss girls etc.

No problem as long as it's not like how I can't show them Monster Squad nowadays because every other word is "human being". Which is actually very accurate to how real kids talked in the 80s, but...

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

My daughters have been watching Sailor Moon and they like it a lot but get very embarrassed and cover their eyes when there's a kissing part.

I'm just really impressed with how every episode is 50% new footage, tops.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Endorph posted:

look forward to the episode where they fight a literal, actual volcano

I'm just wondering when the other Sailor Guardians show up, they're twenty episodes in and there's still only three.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I'm extremely hype to see if we get a new intro when Jupiter finally arrives!

(my wife is complaining now that the song is stuck in her head)

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Endorph posted:

you should watch sailor moon crystal's OPs, they're the best part of the show.

How is it overall? I hear it cuts out all the filler, but first graders generally don't care as much about fidelity to the manga.

E: those cream puffs look great! Whenever my wife makes them she says she is never making them again cause getting the cream into the puffs takes so long.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Thanks, everyone seems perfectly happy with monster-of-the-week filler plots and going 悪霊退散! with their main girl Rei.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Daughter was very excited because based on the previous episode she thought Nephrite was going to turn into a good guy and live happily ever after with Naru but instead he died. There were some tears. I probably should have told her the episode title was literally "Nephrite dies!"

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Subs. Is the dub good, either in a regular way or in a goofy 90s way?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Endorph posted:

dont watch the 90s dub. the more recent dub is okay. sticking with the subs would be my suggestion, especially since your kids are probably already attached to the JP VAs.

They said they liked subs better when they watched LWA so I figured I'd stick with that.
They were confused initially because they'd been reading the older manga translation where they changed all the names for some reason.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Last night they made Sailor V costumes out of construction paper and then asked if they could stay up late to watch another episode. It was very cute but bedtime is bedtime.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Watched the Sailor Moon episode where the fat cat falls in love with Luna and drat if the filler in this show isn't the best part. Lol at the magical girls elbowing each other in the face because they're trying to do their dramatic poses in a narrow alleyway.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Do the precure movies stand alone or do you have to watch the show?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The Colonel posted:

the heartcatch precure movie is one of the best movies ever made and it's worth watching the series to get the context for it

Okay do they need to watch any of the other series first to get context for heartcatch?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

drat I didn't even know there were movies, are they on Netflix/hulu/etc? My daughters just finished the first season and are on to R.

The final showdown with Queen Beryl was extremely anime, everyone got feels.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Endorph posted:

whichever one seems interesting to you. hugtto's a great starting point. if you want something complete, heartcatch has the best action, kirakira has the best comedy, and gopri is the best middle ground between those two and has the best character development, imo.

My daughters started watching season one since that's the only one on crunchyroll. They laugh uncontrollably for the entirety of the intro I guess cause the song is extremely silly?!

Anyway after seeing it in action I think the character designs are really well done, the big boots and sleeves emphasize motion during the fight scenes in a really cool way.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Dumb Futari Wa Precure question for Japanese/high level weebs: do school children actually play lacrosse much in Japan? Here in the US it's mainly a northeast regional thing, and was even more so back in the 90s. Just curious why they picked it for Nagisa's thing.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Thanks, that's cool to know. I mentally always associated it with A Certain Kind of Bro.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Is the Sailor Moon Super S movie basically stand alone if you haven't seen the later seasons? It's playing at the theater next weekend.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Chibiusa just showed up, lol that the first thing she does is point a .45 at Usagi's head

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Alvarez IV posted:

I'm finally watching Cardcaptor Sakura. The American dub, which I vaguely remember from nearly twenty years ago, I know by reputation to be one of the more egregious hatchet jobs of a localization. Seeing the original anime (which I hear is smoothed over from the manga), I think the localization team needs an award. I can't tell whether it's something in Japanese culture I'm not privy to, or the fact that CCS is twenty years old, or that the women at CLAMP are anachronistic in any context, or a combination of all three, but is a good half of the show just about relationships that should not exist? The gay stuff isn't an issue anymore (not sure if it was originally, apparently gay stuff is seen in Japan as something harmless if everyone's under a certain age), and the cousin-relationships in the show are, I'm pretty sure, framed as a foreign Chinese old-time oddity, but there's like three different teachers banging four different students and I feel like that right wing conspiracy about homosexuality being the slippery slope to pedophilia and dog-loving is playing out on my screen. I mean I'm still watching it and enjoying it, it's got fine art direction and I've watched stuff with a lot worse for a lot less, but drat. Is there some kind of cultural context I'm missing out on that would help me understand this show, or am I understanding it fine and it's just not aged great?

Yikes, I was going to pick up the manga for my daughters but I guess I'll pass if it's well past the Tuxedo Mask line of creeping.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

https://soranews24.com/2018/11/29/adult-precure-fans-learn-anime-game-for-little-girls-can-be-emotionally-devastating-for-grown-ups/

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Has anyone here watched Balala The Fairies? If so what's the best series?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I watched the first few episodes of Balala The Fairies, Rainbow Heart Stone. It's different!

This Chinese series is heavily, uh... inspired by... Pretty Cure, in premise and character designs, it's impossible to deny. The basic idea is that there is a fairy planet and two middle school sisters from Earth, Maggie (Meiqi) and Michelle (Meixue), are fairies in training under the tutelage of a young adult fairy named Shirley (Xiaolan). A magically powerful but poorly behaved kindergarten aged fairy named Sandy (Xiaoqian), runs away to earth and causes trouble, and there's some kind of dark prophecy lurking in the background. Pretty standard kid's show plot. I guess the dynamic of significant age differences within the main group might be a bit of a change from the usual magical girl shtick? What's weird- It is a direct sequel to a live action series it assumes you have watched. We are left in the dark as to how the human characters became able to transform into fairies as the rest of the fairy kingdom seem to be native to their magical realm. We don't get any explanation as to how magic works, what their magical rods are etc. It's not too hard to figure out though, it is a kids show.

What's also weird- the first two animated seasons (but not the live action series they are a sequel to) have english subs on the official youtube channel. The sub is poor quality, not just awkward phrasing but riddled with grammatical and spelling errors (we get Crytals and Crystles but never Crystals). There is practically no marketing in English promoting the series, so it's not clear what the target audience of the sub is. They went to the trouble of changing signs in the background to English, gave all characters official English names, and removed the Chinese subs that shows broadcast in China usually have, but why? I'm left wondering if there was a dub project planned at some point that got cancelled. The comments section is either people in Chinese asking "why no chinese subs?" or in English saying "I'm Chinese I loved this show when I was a kid."

The animation is rough around the edges with some stiff animations and some shots that seem cheap and others that are straight up technical errors. Bad CGI abounds, but it matches the bad CGI in the live action series so at least there is continuity. The plotting is a little weird, rather than building to a climax stuff just happens for 22 minutes and then see you next time. This show is from 2008, so it's easier to forgive it's flaws as back then it was breaking new ground for Chinese animators teaching young girls about friendship and selling them sparkly toys. Some of the more recent Balala series are available on the channel but have no english subs (but at least they leave the chinese subs!). Taking a quick look though the animation and direction actually gets much better in the later series, but sadly I'm not holding too much hope for official subs since it's still baffling to me how the seasons we have got them.

With all that I've been criticizing, I have to say I watched it with my target audience aged daughters and they enjoyed it and laughed throughout! It does visual gag comedy fairly well, characters are likeable enough, and there are kawaii ke ai magical creatures to awww at. I'll let you know how it goes!

P-Mack fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 2, 2019

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Watched some more Balala: Rainbow Heart Stone with my daughters. They still like it a lot aside from the terrible subs!

They said they especially liked how unpredictable the story was. So far it hasn't done much monster of the week type stuff, it's just been richocheting between school hijinks and the ominous dark forces threatening the fairy castle. There's no denying that Sailor Moon and Pretty Cure episodes have plot beats you can set your watch to, so I guess there's an upside to Balala's more continuity focused approach.

I also watched some of the original live action series out of curiosity, the first few episodes don't involve any fighting villains, it's just Meixue and Meiqi using magic to fix minor problems for neighbors and classmates, while Xiaolan plays Mary Poppins as their magical nanny, using her magic to conceal her incompetence at manual labor. Take for instance her approach to cooking food-

https://youtu.be/WL5LixpVi2s?t=276

Terrible CGI aside, as far as I can tell there was absolutely no reason she needed to grant the food human level intelligence and the ability to feel pain prior to cooking it alive!

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Balala Update:

So ten episodes in Rainbow Heart Stone finally sets up a formula in which the crew needs to power up the titular stones by exposing them to various virtues like kindness, courage etc by helping friends and neighbors with their problems, while simultaneously foiling the water spirit Shuiling's attempts to kidnap Xiaoqian at behest of the evil Shaman Dragon. Important thought: Meiqi and Meixue are humans who can turn into fairies, while Xiaolan and Xiaoqian are fairies who disguise as humans... really they should be doing their 30 second transformation sequences when they change back.

I'm up to ep 6 on the live action series, and we get our first fight scene between Xiaolan and evil fairy Luna. Luna is now planning to train school bully Lili in black magic and turn her into an evil magical girl. Her pitch to Lili is basically "Hey, you lost the school art contest and the ice skating competition cause those bitches over there were using magic to cheat... so uh, why not learn magic yourself?"

Has Precure done a lot of evil magical girl storylines like that?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Worst thing so far about Balala- the intern with a dictionary they had translating the subs translates 小氣鬼 to "niggard" instead of "cheapskate."

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, it does mean that, and doesn't have any etymological link to the other N-word (it's derived from Scandinavian languages), but I can definitely see why you might want to avoid it anyway.

Yeah, it's a perfectly cromulent word but also one that wouldn't survive an editing pass by a native speaker.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Regularly scheduled Balala update:

Rainbow Heart Stone has been doing episodic type stuff charging up them stones with life lessons. It's actually pretty good about comedy and slice of life stuff, but now there's regular fight scenes which is where the animation deficiencies really become more noticeable if you compare it to something like precure. Kids still think it's fun though!

The live action show is getting lit. Lili decides to officially become a dark magician. I was expecting that we would get a secret identity plot, but nope. After the protags accidentally get her textbook wet she goes right up to them and says "I know you guys do magic, well mine's better and you are officially ON NOTICE." Then she incinerates Meixue's textbook with a fireball. From what I can read in the comments, everyone loves Lili.

Then it's back to school life episodes of Meiqi and Meixue trying to use magic to help their classmates with trivial problems but now Lili is there using black magic to create trivial problems. Last episode I watched involved her cursing the other student's tomato plants to win the school tomato growing contest, leading to our first magical girl vs magical girl fight.

The fight ends inconclusively, but that night a windstorm knocks over Lili's tomato plant while everyone else's stunted plants are too small to get blown over. Poetic justice!

Each episode ends with Xuefeifei, the Mipple/Mepple mascot type character, telling the girls whether the fairy queen approves of their actions, as they've been promised more magic powers if they earn 5 "I used magic to help people" points. But since this concept was introduced, nearly every episode has ended with denying them the point on some technicality or other, like in this case it was just luck that the wind came and their magic didn't do poo poo. So every episode ends with angry and disappointed children slapping a CGI fairy around.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Balala update:

Youle (Noah) is a fairy prince and Balala's rough equivalent to Tuxedo Mask I guess. In the anime he has a magic sword and gets a full transformation sequence which mostly consists of his clothes getting fancy trim since he was already wearing pants and a jacket. He and Xiaolan hate each other which makes me 99% sure they're going to kiss at the end of the series.

Live action version, on the other hand, rides a motorcycle without a helmet and fights evil with his magical fairy gun.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Go Princess would probably be the best starting point (subject matter that's easily identifiable to young girls, good message, and a fairly big number of toys you could sell), Kira Kira might work in that regard as well.

Come to think of it, did either Glitter Force season even have any merchandise released to go with it? Also, was there a particular reason why they couldn't just call the show Pretty Cure?

Pretty Cure is a weird combination of words.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, I’ve been hearing people talking about a Precure-esque show called Balala The Fairies. Anybody know anything about it and if so, is it any good?

I posted a little about it a long while back in this thread if you want to click on the thing under my name. Short version it's Chinese and the first few seasons are actually direct sequels to a live action show. The first few animated seasons are available subbed on youtube but as far as I know none of the newer seasons or the live action stuff is.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Larryb posted:

Is what’s currently available worth watching at the very least?

It's a pretty basic kids show so only if you A) really want something in Chinese, or B) want to see what happens when someone has the general concept of magical girl genre conventions but is shaky on the details. The stuff it does do well is generally more on the comedy side of things than action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

P-Mack posted:

I posted a little about it a long while back in this thread if you want to click on the thing under my name. Short version it's Chinese and the first few seasons are actually direct sequels to a live action show. The first few animated seasons are available subbed on youtube but as far as I know none of the newer seasons or the live action stuff is.

Well it turns out that last month they added English subs to the first few episodes of Balala the Fairies: Ocean Magic. No idea why or if they're going to add more but figured I'd note it.