Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Started watching Sailor Moon for the first time. Usagi crying and hitting her enemies with sonic wave was pretty rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Wow, Sailor Moon is so much gayer than I thought it'd be

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Yeah, I knew about the couple but I didn't know that e.g. Usagi goes heart-eyes when she sees Rei for the first time and other small things like that

Violet_Sky posted:

My favourite story is how Japanese censorship accidentally made characters extra gay

Oh, oh, what's the story?

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Man, the finale of Sailor Moon first season sure was :stare:

Anyway, I'm really glad I checked the series out, it was a lot of fun. The last arc was kinda meh and I don't really like the memory-wipe ending but other than that it was very charming and funny. Oh, and

Endorph posted:

i mean, it has an explicit gay couple.

I thought that was about Neptune and Uranus who appear later iirc but there is one explicitly gay couple in the first season! What a nice surprise!

I'm also reading the manga and the pacing there is loving insane

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Watched Sailor Moon R. Overall I thought it was a bit weaker than the first season but still a lot of fun. La Soldier is a total banger.

Are SM movies worth watching?

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's the song that plays in the final battle against Death Phantom correct.

Yeah, that's the one

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Finished Sailor Moon S, it's my favourite season so far. The finale was even more :stare: than in the first season. It's kinda funny how SM has mostly very light tone and then they suddenly hit you with so many feels

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I've watched second Sailor Moon Movie and it was worth it for best Tuxedo Mask entrance ever

Ok, on to SuperS. I'm curious about this one because I hear it's divisive

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I finished SuperS and I can definitely see why some people don't like it very much. The second arc and the finale were alright, but I really struggled at points during the first arc. I think the biggest problem for me was that many characters reversed to the worst versions of themselves, especially Usagi. The trio was quite entertaing despite their attacks being very uncomfortable to watch. But the circus imagery was nice and there were some creative fights.

I heard there was some drama behind the scenes, about Ikuhara's and Toei's visions clashing?

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Aaaand finished Stars. It'd be pretty alright as a regular season but for a final season it was a bit underwhelming. I didn't like that many characters present practically from the beginning were completely written out, or just had much less screen time. And new characters weren't interesting enough to make up for it imo. As much as I prefer the anime to the manga, the ending in the manga seemed better, just a neat thematic bow. I really liked the last line ( Sailor Moon, you will always be invincible ), it was just sweet and empowering, and left me in a good mood, lol.

All in all I really enjoyed the whole series, though it was a bit too long. And S is goat

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Larryb posted:

I wonder how they’re going to handle Stars and if they plan on doing anything else with the franchise afterwards (and adaption of Codename: Sailor V and/or some of the side chapters of the manga could be fun)

I'm reading C:Sailor V now and it's so much fun. I felt that manga Minako was a bit bland but it turns out her personality was just delegated to the side story (or prequel, whatev)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I've watched SuperS movie (Black Dream Hole, what a freaking great title), probably the last Sailor Moon thing I'll see in a while. It was very good! Thematically similar to tv series, and supers in particular, but I really liked the oneiric imagery and the story of luring children with flute to candy land. Pretty sure it's not just a variation of one classic fairy-tail, but a mixture of a couple of them but they work together nicely. And some good faces and comedy. Also, destroying a black hole with (tiny sceptre rapiers and) FEELINGS

And Ami Gaiden had some prime sort Ami content