Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

This game is freaking huge! After getting the key movement abilities I was floored at how many areas opened up, as I speak I have like 4 different directions I could go in (that are obvious, at least) to explore entirely new areas.

Spoilers for about 12 hours into the game: The tone shift this game goes through is insane. I just got my first of the 3 dreamers, from the southwest corner of the map, and then went back to the first area. This went from a cute bug adventure game to absolutely horrifying stuff.

I'm really glad I picked this one up, it doesn't seem to be getting much attention, which is a shame because it's really great so far!

Augus fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Obligatum VII posted:

The story is fascinating because while you can infer a lot of stuff early, it does actually explain everything eventually. What do you make of what you've seen thus far? I'm curious as to your thoughts at this stage in the game.

Can't say I understand much at this point, lol. I'm never good at piecing things together in these games on my first playthrough. What I do know is that whatever's inside that Black Egg is really, REALLY bad. And the gradual shift towards disgusting, nightmarish creatures in bleak environments as you go further down, along with the surprise when you revisit the forgotten crossroad, is really well-executed.

Also Miner Kid was the best and when he went Hollow it broke my heart into pieces

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

One complaint I do have about the game is that the punishment for falling into spikes/acid sometimes becomes way harsher all of a sudden. I wouldn't mind it if it were consistent, but it isn't. In some rooms you'll reappear right near where you fell, in other rooms you'll just be plopped down back at the entrance to the room. It can be a bit irritating.

Also the performance isn't too good, frame drops are pretty frequent even on the lowest graphical settings and that often leads to getting hit by things.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I just beat the Lost Kin, that was a really awesome boss fight. I wasn't entirely sold on this game's combat at first but man does it come together as the movement upgrades roll in.

It seems like I'm getting pretty close to the end of the game now. I can fight the final boss and then still continue exploring on that save file, right?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm not the only one having framerate problems, am I? The third coliseum is terrible for me because the frame rate dips every time enemies are being spawned in and the game keeps eating my inputs as a result

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Found the problem, for some reason the game was changing the resolution back to the higher setting without telling me. Futzing around with windowed mode made it better. Still not perfect but I think it's just that Unity isn't a great engine.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Got the true ending! 93% in 27 hours. The optional area and final boss were quite tough, but not as nightmarish as people in this thread seemed to be suggesting. The only thing in the game that I felt was ridiculously hard was the third arena challenge, I walked away from that after dying many times to the section where they force you to do like a dozen waves without any platforms to stand on.

So, was there a parry mechanic that the game never explained? I noticed that on some bosses, like Hornet, my character would hit them and cause a louder sound to play, with a slowdown for emphasis, and then the boss would be stunned. I think it was happening because I hit them preciselynright before they did an attack?

This game was extremely good, probably my favorites "Souls-like" game so far. It reminds me a lot of Symphony of the Night in how big and imposing it was with so many directions to go in, but unlike Symphony of the Night this game also has really good room/level design! It's crazy the amount of content that was put in this game that is completely missable. The music an atmosphere was on point, the combat and really just the movement on its own was incredibly fun, it was all great stuff.

Some little nagging complaints I have:
-Spikes. Spikes have this really weird behavior where they seem to suck you into their hitboxes when you get too close. The game freezes for a moment when you take damage, but for some reason it seems to "prepare" for when it seems you're about to take damage, and start the freezing effect early? It's really weird but there were plenty of times where was clearly above the spikes but then my character froze and apparently teleported into them. It got pretty irritating after a while.
-Speaking of which, this game has too many mechanics where the game freezes for a moment for emphasis, which can mess up the flow of combat pretty easy. Getting hit once tends to snowball very easily because of this fact, especially in the Colisseum.
-Stagway placements aren't great, there's a lot of running back and forth that needs to be done for prime real estate locations that you'll be visiting several times, like the blacksmith and most of the lower parts of the map. I had to drop down that same path down from the City to the Basin so many drat times...
-Apparently there's an achievement for getting 100% in the permadeath mode, and the Coliseum is included in 100%? Jesus loving Christ.

That's all, really. This game turned out to be a real gem, it was a nice surprise. Really should be getting a lot more attention than it is.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oh goddammit, I just realized I could use fragile strength in the arena of fools. :doh:
Also apparently I missed two charm notches

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 30, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that's not a very bullshit situation at all, by any measure? :confused:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

realizing that you can ducktails bounce off of spikes and buzzsaws with your sword makes that area several times easier.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't see how White Palace is so bad. The platforming controls are pretty tight, nothing requires a ridiculous level of reflexes or frame-perfect timing, the obstacles are consistent in their placement, the checkpoints are pretty well-paced. Am I missing something here? It only took me, like, half an hour to 45 minutes to clear?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Its almost like one of these is fun and the other isn't.

the fun one is White Palace and the not-fun one is the Coliseum :smug:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

skasion posted:

This game is way better than Axiom Verge on the strength of its visuals alone.

On the other hand, Axiom Verge has the funkiest soundtrack of all time

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

When's the Switch version?

when it's done

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

This game is so marred by having White Palace included in it.

It is good actually

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

George Lazenby posted:

Hey, I'm one of the devs (William). You're right that Nosk turned out to be kinda underwhelming compared to its buildup. It's because when I came up with the idea of the whole lead-in, we were already wayyy beyond scope but I convinced Ari to let me do it by saying we could make the actual boss fight as simple as possible. I'm glad we squeezed that whole thing in, but yeah it makes for a bit of a dip in quality. I think I'm gonna sneak in a new move for ol Nosk in one of these content packs, try to do the poor guy justice.

It's been really great reading everyone's thoughts on the game by the way! :) I constantly lurk SA so I've been following the thread, but thought maybe I shouldn't jump in too much. I'm super happy people are getting into it though!

This game is extremely great and I'm really happy that its been gradually getting more attention. You guys did a great job, especially considering how tiny the dev team is.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Imo you're so wrong. White palace was too much of a jump in difficulty from everything else in the game. I think they took it way too far in terms of the sheer amount of stuff you had to deal with, and how punishing the "checkpoints" were. I would have really preferred more benches and not starting from the bottom of sawblade shaft again and again and again.

It really sounds like everyone was playing a different level from me. It was pretty forgiving and fair and the platforming challenge was a logical progression from the countless other platforming challenges in the game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Apparently I'm one of the only people who didn't block out my memories of all the other platforming sections that were in the game?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The white palace is bad and ruined this game for me retroactively. What the gently caress were they thinking?

They thought that you've spent the entire game engaging in tight, precise movement and platforming so you should be ready for some more tight, precise movement and platforming.
They thought right. White Palace is very good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The controls aren't tight enough. If I wanted this style gameplay I'd play it in a game that did it better.

I'm not sure how exactly the game could have tighter controls than it already does

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

To anyone who got stuck in White Palace: Did you know that you could pogo off the spikes by attacking downwards? Doing that probably alleviated a lot of the difficulty for me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Did any of you actually play Super Meat Boy. Just the presence of saw blades doesn't mean it's a Super Meat Boy level.

anyway refer to my previous posts for why whining about White Palace makes you a baby.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

skasion posted:

Lost Kin is probably the easiest dream boss. Just shroom up and you don't need to worry about the gasbags at all.

or do it legit because it's an extremely fun boss

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if the game controls aren't super-responsive it's probably because you've got frame rate problems and you should try and fix those

either that or maybe the game's not the one that's unresponsive.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

analog stick works great for me, using DS4

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wild Horses posted:

Doing it with generic charms gotta be a challenge tho

it wasn't that bad? :shrug:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mymla posted:

No, I can't, unless we're counting memegames like I wanna be the guy.
Actually yeah, white palace is what happens when someone plays I wanna be the guy and goes "This, but unironically".

would you also say that it was the dark souls of levels

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think it's telling that nobody can describe their venomous hatred of white palace without resorting to braindead comparisons to super meat boy or iwbtg that barely work even on the most shallow, superficial level.

"its hard, its like other hard thing"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

don't make me cut u

n4 posted:

I agree. ESA is great. Definitely a must play for fans of the genre. But the extra stuff is a little inaccessible.

first time hearing about this game, what's the deal?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

download it and don't get spooked

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The biggest problem with this game imo is how gradually you gain access to your movement options, it's not that bad when you're first experiencing the game but it makes replaying the early parts of the game kinda a chore

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sirtommygunn posted:

I beat the game at 92%, went to do the flower quest, hosed up in the last room, and immediately uninstalled. Great game 9/10, will likely play again when the anger fades.

If you take the road through the shroom forest the end stretch is the only really dangerous part
but I feel your pain

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

The White Palace is actually extremely fun.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Update got me doing another playthrough. Man this game is so drat good. There're a lot of indie Metroidvanias but none of them have a world as consistently beautiful and engrossing as Hollow Knight's. The City of Tears in particular is an area that always impressives me with its atmosphere and design, I love just how many areas connect to it and how many paths you can choose to follow from this point onwards.

Has anyone ever made a diagram or something showing all the progression routes you can take in this game? It must be a lot.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

C-Euro posted:

I would think that there is some lifeblood-related content given the name of the content pack, but I haven't seen any indication that there is :v:

It's injecting some lifeblood into the game with its improvements!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

not sure what these two facts have to do with each other but cool

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rebought this game on the Switch, no regrets.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So It Goes posted:

Wait they actually put an entire ending behind something that without exaggeration less than 1% of the player base will ever unlock? [/spoiler]

that seems like a pretty big exaggeration

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It’s an obvious loving teaser for the next dlc you whiny brats christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

accessibility in games is great but it’s taking things to a ridiculous extreme when people insist that content that isn’t catered specifically to their skill level just cannot exist in video games and to put things that are too hard for some people in your game is a crime against gaming.