Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's just been revoked. :getin:

But seriously, I wasn't sure how I felt about Yu summoning Lucifer as the personification of his bonds with his friends at the end of the Persona 4 anime.

I'm not sure how I feel about this either.

Satanael is an extremely appropriate final persona for this game, imo, given your goals and what you end up having to do.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

GeneX posted:

Presumably

Shido is gonna flip on Shido

Shido will flip on himself, but if that's all they've got they lose his co-conspirators, plus the plausibility of his charge without Maaku means that even with Shido, the whole thing might get thrown out on its rear end and forgotten.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It's pretty loving convenient that Morgana wasn't shown in any of the shots where the party was in water up to their elbows because he would've been underwater.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Even if Shido flips on himself, what did he actually do, from a non-Metaverse perspective? Nothing. All he did was order his secret bastard son to magically go inside people's heads and kill them. If he confessed to that, he'd just sound crazy. IE: Even if he confessed, there's no evidence that any crime was even committed. There's no causation. Unless they have corroborating evidence that such a crime is even possible, which is why Sae need Maaku.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Clarste posted:

Even if Shido flips on himself, what did he actually do, from a non-Metaverse perspective? Nothing. All he did was order his secret bastard son to magically go inside people's heads and kill them. If he confessed to that, he'd just sound crazy. IE: Even if he confessed, there's no evidence that any crime was even committed. There's no causation. Unless they have corroborating evidence that such a crime is even possible, which is why Sae need Maaku.

Probably something involving the woman he was about to assault that Maaku stopped him from doing so, and then convinced to lie about afterwards to get Maaku arrested and put on probation in the first place, setting this whole thing off. Perjury and abuse of power right there at least, which goes to character as well.

Also, being involved in a shadowy conspiracy to rig an election is probably a crime in Japan as well, though you never know. And said conspiracy led to the deaths of a number of people, Okumura and Wakaba Isshiki among them, plus the Shujin principal and Sae's former boss. While they might not have any proof about how they caused their deaths, Shido confessing that he did it will probably get any non-conspiracy aligned prosecutors (or Sae herself) chomping at the bit, since a confession gets you like practically 90% of the way there in the Japanese legal system.

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises
I think the real lesson here is gently caress the police

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Asbel posted:

I think the real lesson here is gently caress the police

Actually, it's that teens should leave it to the responsible adults, such as *checks notes* Sae.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Clarste posted:

Even if they can't get Shido on the mental shutdowns, there's probably more mundane murders they can convict on if he talks. Remember the cleaner guy in the palace. And almost certainly plenty of corruption, at least.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Asbel posted:

I think the real lesson here anywhere is gently caress the police

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah the only thing Joker can really nail Shido for is the attempted rape bit, but it makes no sense why Joker would have to "turn himself in" to do that. From the looks of the people in the most recent update, the public is back to normal and has forgotten the metaverse hellscape turning people into clouds of mist, so I'm not sure why a court of law would be willing to accept the metaverse even if Joker got up on the stand and explained how both he and Shido used it illegally.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sae only knows how to do two things: 1) yell at Makoto, 2) win in court by any means necessary.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Sydin posted:

Yeah the only thing Joker can really nail Shido for is the attempted rape bit, but it makes no sense why Joker would have to "turn himself in" to do that. From the looks of the people in the most recent update, the public is back to normal and has forgotten the metaverse hellscape turning people into clouds of mist, so I'm not sure why a court of law would be willing to accept the metaverse even if Joker got up on the stand and explained how both he and Shido used it illegally.

Part of his probation probably includes accepting blame for the false accusation, if he wants to change his story he has to go to prison while it gets sorted out as he's technically in violation of it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's possible however that Shido no longer feels super guilty about his crimes now. With Mementos destroyed his shadow would have been freed from the prison of regression.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's possible however that Shido no longer feels super guilty about his crimes now. With Mementos destroyed his shadow would have been freed from the prison of regression.

that's not how the "prison of regression" thing works

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Removed because it seemed too dumb to post in retrospect.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 9, 2019

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
loving lol, I they really wanna get Shido they just gotta say Akechi was his illegitimate son and killed himself because he wouldn't acknowledge him and he'd be lucky to get a job picking street trays in Okinawa

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

Sae only knows how to do two things: 1) yell at Makoto, 2) win in court by any means necessary.

Ah, this is the source of Makoto's boundless rage.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 195: 12/24-12/25: Blue Christmas

Music: Alleycat

God, Sae, you’re just a giant goddamn albatross around my neck, huh? They should call you "Niijima the Grinch"! ‘Tis the season, after all… for depression.

Your testimony will be necessary in order to prove Shido guilty… However… That will mean placing you on center stage. You’ll be treated as a hero who saved this country… But there’s no way that the police or the public prosecutors will let that slide. ...They’ll lose face to you and the Phantom Thieves. If that happens, there’s no telling what they’ll do to you or your teammates. There’s even the possibility that they’ll fabricate a crime and move to arrest you all.

FUCKIN’ COPS

If you turn yourself in to the police, you’ll definitely be arrested. And there’s your past record. The police and prosecution will strike there. They’ll treat your arrest as “grave misconduct” and revoke your probation…

Out of one cell, into another…

They’ll be content as long as they get a testimony without the Phantom Thieves being hailed as heroes. That should guarantee the safety of your teammates, Or rather, I’ll make sure it’s guaranteed. I’ll close all the cases surrounding Shido. I intend to expose them all. It’s to prevent society from becoming distorted again. That’s what you want too, isn’t it?

The cognitive Metaverse has disappeared too, along with that malevolent god… However, it sounds like my testimony is necessary for them to find Shido guilty… But there’s no knowing what the police would do. They’d never let a Phantom Thief be the hero…

They’d know I was acting out of line while under probation though… ……

I’ll ask you once more. I’d like for you to turn yourself in to the police, of your own accord.

I had a feeling you’d say that… Leave the rest to us.

I hate you.

All right, let’s go.

It seems to be an invitation to spend time together…

Sae’s gonna smack the phone out of Maaku’s hand and piledrive him into the ground.

...Very well. You can turn yourself in tomorrow morning.

But I would really like to spend Christmas Eve together with you. Do you think we could walk around the city… and then head back to your room?

We should… probably see Haru, huh?

I’m still in Shibuya, so let’s meet in front of the station.

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

The city was amazing!

Or accompanying him to one of his boring work parties…

I considered that third option but it just seemed hilariously cruel.

Maybe next year, I’ll grow a fir tree to celebrate the occasion.

Sounds ambitious, but I’m down.

I won’t be able to see Haru again after tomorrow…

Haru places an item in Maaku’s hand.

It’s… a hat. Okaaaaaaay?

Christmas is incredible!

Music: Confession/Secret

But are you following the news on Shido? Well… of course you are. It’s always on… Honestly, I’m starting to get a little scared. The police investigation will probably lead straight to the Phantom Thieves. If that happens, will we not be able to see each other anymore?

There’s even the possibility that they’ll fabricate a crime and move to arrest you all.

But telling her about it would only cause her to panic…

...What’s the matter?

……

Trust me, it’s not you.

It’s OK. I can take a taxi.

...Good night.

That coulda gone better.

Even so, this is the only way…

Well, Sae, you ruined Christmas again. Way to go.

Anon: Hnngh, the memories…
Anon: mash dat YES button
Anon: mash dat YES button
Anon: guess its ok. they saved us

It seems there was consensus to try Representative Shido for the countless crimes he confessed. Furthermore, many demands have been made for Representative Shido to resign from his public position. Nationwide protests have begun in support of holding new elections, and an internet proposal has--

Oh boy, the news is reporting on internet petitions, how riveting.

It’s pretty impressive.

What’re you cryin’ about, Futaba? You guys get in a fight or something?

It’s really weird that no one like, called or texted the others about the fact that Maaku’s now being detained. Not even his girlfriend. They just let Ryuji burst in, jovial as ever.

Hey, Ryuji…
...What’s up with this gloomy vibe? Where’s Maaku?
Mako-chan, what’s wrong?

It’s OK. I’ll explain.

Music: Sunset Bridge

Ryuji punches the couch.

What the hell!?
I don’t comprehend. The hero who saved this nation is now living in juvenile hall?
It’s just how the system works. Don’t let it get to you.

That’s stupid advice. How’re things ever gonna change if we don’t get pissed off!?

I did my best to discuss the options… but nothing I said could change the outcome…

Ryuji punches the seat several more times.

Dammit! This can’t be happenin’!
Are we supposed to just agree to this? I can’t do that!
Me neither!
I must object as well.
Wanting to interrogate him makes sense… but the measures following were questionable at best.
All that crap about his record and probation was bullshit! He didn’t do any of that!
Won’t everything just cancel out if Shido tells the whole truth!?
That won’t be enough. Remember what my sister said before? In order to overturn a sentence, you need definitive evidence that proves the subject’s innocence.
Evidence!? How’re we gonna find anything like that…!? I mean, the police were in on all that crap too, so any proof they got’s prolly been destroyed…
Futaba, is there any way you can use your computer to find information?
I’ll do what I can… But don’t put too much faith in it. It’s not some kinda almighty device.

You hacked into the nation’s broadcast signals with your loving laptop.

The Metaverse doesn’t exist anymore either… Boss, can’t you think of another means by which we can help him…?

Sojiro shakes his head. What a help he was.

I wonder what Mona-chan would say if he were here right now…
He’d likely laugh and tell us how foolish we all are.
And he would say it in that high and mighty tone of his…

“He was kind of a prick.”

That guy was real annoyin’, but now that he’s gone it feels… y’know… Guess we really did count on him a lot.
The hope of humanity…
I wish I could do something to help our leader…

Didn’t he save all of you!? If we aren’t gonna act now, when will we?

Hm… What can we do without using the Metaverse…?
Maybe we’ll be able to find something if we search around.
Let’s just calm down and think about it. We’ve escaped death countless times before… There’s no doubt we can do this!
That’s right! Let’s go!

Everyone nods and replies in the affirmative, but it’s all at the same time so you can’t make out much of it.

You acted as the leader of the Phantom Thieves that undermined our society… Is that correct?

What you thought you were doing doesn’t matter now. Moving on… As leader of the Phantom Thieves, you committed a number of crimes. Illegal entry into the Madarame residence and Okumura Foods, destruction of property… Ah, and the broadcast intrusion the other day was in violation of the Radio Law. There are some other infractions as well… On top of all that, you have a past history of crime. Correct?

Whatever, pig. Your haircut sucks.

We will transfer you in the coming days.

Maaku has sacrificed his freedom for the greater good, and it doesn’t seem like much can be done about it. There’s nothing left for us to do…

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 9, 2019

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh for pity's sake. What's the point of keeping fuckin' secrets now, protag? Because some nerds might say "oh but what if she levers Okamura Foods against the cops"?

Malah
May 18, 2015

HOW ARE WE STILL GOING TO PRISON AFTER ALL OF THAT!? :psyduck:

THIS IS BULLSHIT! THE SYSTEM hosed US IN THE END! THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU TRUST A COP! :carol:

Malah fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 9, 2019

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
ACAB

All Cops Are Baka

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Fhqwhgads posted:

ACAB

All Cops Are Baka

:hai:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

i like how we could have removed the entire holy grail and mementos-into-reality portion and the plot wouldn't really change.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sae is the worst. The absolute worst.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Arist posted:

you have a past history of crime. Correct?

But what about the fact that the whole thing about being tortured and injected with various drugs and the fact it wasn't anything like a trial? Also being sentenced to a crime by a KNOWN MURDER WITH A CORRUPT POLICE CHIEF?

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 9, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

We're going to get shanked in juvie over a cigarette because Sae can't do her loving job.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This is a really bad reason for not giving us the ability to hang out with slinks in the postgame

lord knows it's terrible storytelling and entirely unfulfilling, so I assume their reason is "we didn't want to have to write multiple extra months of dialogue, you'll stay free in the remake when we aren't under a giant time crunch to finish this thing"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Glazius posted:

Oh for pity's sake. What's the point of keeping fuckin' secrets now, protag? Because some nerds might say "oh but what if she levers Okamura Foods against the cops"?

Yeah, it's dumb that you're not allowed to tell your girlfriend what's going on. Like, is there even a reason to keep it a secret? It's just so they don't need to write multiple scenes of the gang finding out.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Ah yes to break free from our chains as a prisoner and rebel against society, we'll go into juvie and/or solitary confinement. Yep.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If the mask don't fit, you must acquit!

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
gently caress the police

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"Trust adults, we'll handle it!" "Oh, I can't actually arrest him and also a terrible God is destroying the world."

Okay, that's fair enough.

"Trust adults, we'll handle it, also you should go to prison for basically no reason."

I think perhaps the theme is that any time one of these assholes says 'oh trust adults, we got this from here' they're lying and going to gently caress over Maaku.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

We're going to get shanked in juvie over a cigarette because Sae can't do her loving job.
There should be a juvie spin off where you play as Maaku trying to make the ranks and everyone calls you "Fish"

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Sae is worse than a normal cop.

She's a cop who pretends to be your friend.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, if you think about it we never did manage to steal her heart, did we?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Blue Labrador posted:

There should be a juvie spin off where you play as Maaku trying to make the ranks and everyone calls you "Fish"

I am Thou. Thou art I.

Thou hast acquired a new vow.

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh the chains of thy captivity.

With the birth of the Fish Arcana, I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

(You can now fuse Dufresne, the most powerful Persona of the Fish Arcana.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Night10194 posted:

Sae is the worst. The absolute worst.

Merry Christmas, you're going to loving jail.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

P5R: the R is for Recidivist

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Clarste posted:

Yeah, it's dumb that you're not allowed to tell your girlfriend what's going on. Like, is there even a reason to keep it a secret? It's just so they don't need to write multiple scenes of the gang finding out.

I was dating Makoto on my playthrough, and if I recall right, she actually figured it out on her own at the end of the date. Which makes sense, given that she lives with Sae and knows how her sister thinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Expecting the MC to get off scott-free was too much to ask for to be honest.

Besides, I dont think the previous games had many (if any at all) free days after the final boss either.