Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

WhyteRyce posted:

Ah poo poo I accidentally bought the non-Japanese Vega am I screwed

I expected a video card but instead I got a muscly acrobatic spaniard with claw hands!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That is interesting. My aging Chromebook is running a dual-core Celeron which got slightly gimped by Hyperthreading getting disabled due to Intel's security vulnerabilities. A Ryzen-based Chromebook seems like it could work nicely.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
derBauer looks at the cache of an AMD and Intel CPU with an electron microscope and reminds us that the silicon process node names do not directly reflect the size of the features of the semi-conductors. Neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kQUXpZpLXI

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/AMDRyzen/status/1310341536480100355

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

I hope its AM5.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

wargames posted:

I hope its AM5.

I've read that Ryzen 4000 will still be AM4, and compatible with many earlier chipsets, and that AM5 is planned to roll out with Ryzen 5000.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Zen 3, which is presumably what's going to be announced in October, will still be on the AM4 platform.

The entire "scandal" earlier this year was even about whether older motherboards would be allowed to support Zen 3 via BIOS update, with AMD eventually drawing the line at B450 being allowed to, but everything else not, and obliging people to get B550 / X570 / A520 to guarantee support for Zen 3 (but also, that such boards will not support anything older than Zen 2).

The other rumor is that Zen 3 will cause a revamp in the naming scheme, such that Zen 3-based CPUs, APUs, and mobile chips will all be "Ryzen 5000", in order to reconcile the currently out-of-step naming scheme that developed after there wasn't a 1000-series APU / mobile line.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

So, I'll be fine upgrading with a X470 mobo? :ohdear:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Klaaz posted:

Probably will just need a BIOS update.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Klaaz posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15807/amd-to-support-zen-3-and-ryzen-4000-cpus-on-b450-and-x470-motherboards

you'll need to update the BIOS, but yes, an X470 motherboard should (eventually) be able to run with a Zen 3 / Ryzen 5000 CPU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Remember things like the B450 Tomahawk had BIOS size issues already. It was corrected with the Max board but that's a different motherboard. There might be similar issues adding even more CPUs to support to the list.

I wouldn't purchase a board that the manufacturer hasn't confirmed they plan on supporting 4000 on if that is your goal.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

K8.0 posted:

Someone at AMD looked at the Street Fighter US/Japan names and decided that their graphics products needed the same level of confusion.
I'm absolutely giddy trying to figure out which AMD product will be discovered as the real legal reason for the naming ruckus given M Bison is the root cause of it all basically.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15807/amd-to-support-zen-3-and-ryzen-4000-cpus-on-b450-and-x470-motherboards

you'll need to update the BIOS, but yes, an X470 motherboard should (eventually) be able to run with a Zen 3 / Ryzen 5000 CPU

Caveat that ASUS doesn't seem to be supporting X470 and Zen 3.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Great, I've got a MSI X470 Gaming Pro Max. Guess I'm good then!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Leaks are starting in earnest. You can always tell when the board partners get their validation parts!

https://twitter.com/tum_apisak/status/1310793433578053632?s=21

e: KEEP YOUR EXPECTATIONS DOWN.... but wowzer

https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/status/1310796311017345025

Cygni fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 29, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Forget performance numbers, 5xxx series it is!

Why is naming chips so loving hard?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

movax posted:

Forget performance numbers, 5xxx series it is!

Why is naming chips so loving hard?

4xxx already exists though? Just because they’re not interesting for leet gaming rigs doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Same thing happened with the i7 5xxx series, Broadwell.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's a marketing thing.

March 2017 - AMD makes first-gen Ryzen CPUs, calls them the 1000 series.

By Feb of 2018, they're ready to launch the Ryzen APUs, which are still on Zen 1 architecture, but they know they're going to be releasing Zen+ (like the Ryzen 7 2700X) two months later, so they don't want to name the APUs the 1000 series, because it's no longer "the latest", so they call the APU the 2200G, even if it's Zen 1.

The same thing happens to the mobile chips: The Ryzen 5 2500U is Zen 1, but it's in the "2000" series because the 1000 series already happened six months before this release and they don't want to use that name anymore.

By now they're unifying it because AM4 has supported so many CPUs that the segmentation that they're trying to pull with A520/B550/X570 is getting to be confusing: if you buy a B550 board, it's going to brag about being capable out-of-the-box for Ryzen 3000 (which is Zen 2), but has to have an asterisk that Ryzen 3 3200G/Ryzen 5 3400G doesn't count, since they're on Zen+ despite being named part of the 3000 series.

This is also the best time to unify the naming convention, since the only consumer-facing product in the 4000 series are the Zen 2 mobile processors. No CPUs, and the APUs are only available to OEMs.

___

Gamers Nexus had a similar segment a while back about how the Intel 10th-gen release on desktops had a somewhat similar marketing problem because the LGA1200 motherboards (H410 / B460 / Z490) didn't support PCIe 4.0 - this is not something that you're ever really going to need unless you've got a top-of-the-line NVMe drive and a use-case to match, but still, PCIe 4.0 is one higher than PCIe 3.0, and if AMD motherboards/CPUs support 4.0 and you don't, then that's something that marketing can sucker people into thinking is Better Than.

Another example they brought up is how there's a line of B550-A motherboards, which were functionally identical to B450 motherboards, and actually aren't as capable as "real" B550 motherboards, but AMD's board partners demanded that they come out with something because they didn't want to keep selling B450 motherboards anymore since it was no longer the latest/highest number from their previous releases.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
And don’t get me started on “Core i7”, the name actually made sense, it was supposed to mean that it was the successor to the P6/i686 line, basically shorthand for i786. Until marketing hosed that up, of course.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
At least the desktop parts had a usually consistent pattern (i3 = 2C/4T, i5 = 4C/4T, i7 = 4C/8T), what annoyed me was the laptop parts seemingly had no pattern.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Laptop parts were "i7 = pay significantly more for a tiny clock bump that the CPU couldn't run for long because of thermal limits, sucker!" for a long time and it was great.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Laslow posted:

And don’t get me started on “Core i7”, the name actually made sense, it was supposed to mean that it was the successor to the P6/i686 line, basically shorthand for i786. Until marketing hosed that up, of course.

Wow, I had no idea, that's actually really cool. How many iX86-generations have been after that?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
The Ryzen (Zen 2) auto overclocker from 1usmus of the dram calculator drops 7pm Eastern
https://mobile.twitter.com/1usmus/status/1310526652758274051

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Wow, I had no idea, that's actually really cool. How many iX86-generations have been after that?

Hard to tell, really. I guess you could make an argument that if Nehalem/Westmere = 786, then *Bridge = 886, *Well = 986 and *Lake = 1086. But the whole thing ignores that Pentium 4 would have been 786, before they went back to 686 for the pre-i7 Cores. So...:shrug:

Edit: I think the problem you run into in trying to figure this out is how big a change to the microarchitecture justifies an x86 generation increase anyway? IIRC there was a bigger difference between Core 2 and the "686" Core than there is between Core 2 and original i7 Nehalem.

Theris fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 29, 2020

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Theris posted:

Edit: I think the problem you run into in trying to figure this out is how big a change to the microarchitecture justifies an x86 generation increase anyway? IIRC there was a bigger difference between Core 2 and the "686" Core than there is between Core 2 and original i7 Nehalem.
Exactly.

Although it’s still called i686 for 32 bit builds of most open source software. It’s just “x86-64” or even AMD64 for the 64-bit builds, “x64” in the case of Microsoft, to differentiate itself from “64 Bit Edition” which was the Itanium builds of Windows.

Got it? Good.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Cygni posted:

Leaks are starting in earnest. You can always tell when the board partners get their validation parts!

https://twitter.com/tum_apisak/status/1310793433578053632?s=21

e: KEEP YOUR EXPECTATIONS DOWN.... but wowzer

https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/status/1310796311017345025

And there will be a 5900X and 5950X above that but Intel doesn't have an i10 and i11 to compete with those that I know of...

:stare:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So how good is AMD at keeping new stuff actually in stock?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

drat Dirty Ape posted:

pretty ok if you're buying servers and it's not week 0.

no idea on desktops since i always wait a couple months for the windows bugs to be ironed out lol

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

sean10mm posted:

And there will be a 5900X and 5950X above that but Intel doesn't have an i10 and i11 to compete with those that I know of...

:stare:

If the last gen is anything to go by, the 5900x will score exactly the same :v:

The improvement over 3800X is encouraging but AoS is kind of a weird bench and the AMD vs Intel comparison is probably not worth looking into just yet.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

How good is anyone at keeping anything in stock these days? PSUs, cases people want to buy? Global supply chain is still turbofucked.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

the supply problem is actually the bios updates which are hoarded like conflict minerals by manufacturers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Expect demand to be slammed when Zen 3 releases, but it doesn't necessarily mean a paper launch: there's just way too many people buying cool new hardware nowadays.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

The Ryzen (Zen 2) auto overclocker from 1usmus of the dram calculator drops 7pm Eastern
https://mobile.twitter.com/1usmus/status/1310526652758274051

What are the "Addition Tweaks"?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Which CPU do you want to buy? 6c/12t stock was great, 8c/16t stock was decent with a few day gaps here and there, and zen2 launch 3900x stock sucked because AMD really underestimated how popular it'd be or mostly paper launched it to have a high end at launch. Some retail stores only received 3-5 3900x units, and they only really received new ones once per week in small quantities. 3950x they released later in the year and stock was solid. For zen3 it's anyone's guess what stock will be like.

I'd expect great stock for zen3, but there might also be great demand which can offset the stock. It's also unclear how much the pandemic disrupted them. Instead of trying to push some gimmicky release date they seem to have pushed back the launch to a comfortable date this time.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 29, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Not that I need to since my X370 Taichi is handling my 3900X just fine but hypothetically what would be the best mid-range X570 board with wifi/bluetooth?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Not that I need to since my X370 Taichi is handling my 3900X just fine but hypothetically what would be the best mid-range X570 board with wifi/bluetooth?

According to Buildzoid as of like 6 months ago the Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi and a few models right in that area have disgustingly good VRM setups.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

redeyes posted:

According to Buildzoid as of like 6 months ago the Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi and a few models right in that area have disgustingly good VRM setups.

X570 Tomahawk WiFi is real good IIRC and like $220 MSRP. It tends to go in & out of stock though.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

redeyes posted:

I think the Elite Wifi is out now and $200 instead of $270. It wasn't out near launch. I'd definitely compare features & ports of the two before deciding.

sean10mm posted:

X570 Tomahawk WiFi is real good IIRC and like $220 MSRP. It tends to go in & out of stock though.
This is also a decent board to compare the features of the elite to. For x570 boards, most are good boards you just need to find the right features at the right price. If you're someone with no specific needs then anything that has wifi+bluetooth will probably be fine.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

redeyes posted:

sean10mm posted:

Cool, that’s what my brief research led me to with the Tomahawk in the lead. Thanks!