Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My friend had a 230V 12cm Delta (or maybe papst?), made of metal. The cooling performance was solid, but you had to use hearing protection, also you couldn't stop the fan with your fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Rumor claims entry-level 16core with SMT is $849: https://www.techpowerup.com/234114/amds-entry-level-16-core-32-thread-threadripper-to-reportedly-cost-usd-849

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

repiv posted:

EK uses medical-grade quick-disconnects for those kits, so you'd hope they're pretty drat reliable :ohdear:

What does medical grade mean.. all I've ever seen gets used only once and then thrown away :D I guess some places have a need for multi-use connectors too...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does 16core threadripper have two 8 core ryzen dies? So no disabled cores? Or is the threadripper four 8 core part with half of the cores disabled?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I wonder if the rad fits to the top 120mm slot on a silverstone raven 02: http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/images/products/rv02/rv02b-inside.jpg

If yes, I could see myself actually using a watercooled setup for the first time in my life. I don't want to buy an expensive $150+ case just to fit an AIO though.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Maybe the mobos come with a full backplate too?

E: having AIO come default with TR CPU's might actually be a good idea

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Probably the AIO takes a ton of room from the box. Why else they would make such a huge box?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

incoherent posted:

Yo what mobos are confirmed for threadripper so far? I feel we knew about launch boards before CPUs.

Gaming RGB motherboards everrrrrywhere: http://event.gigabyte.us/x399promo/

https://www.chiphell.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1757490

No normal/workstation mobos yet again I guess?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

You'll probably need to wait for single socket Epyc CPU and platform to come out if you want a white box work horse mobo.

If you can't wait for that then just buy TR and turn off all the LED's on your mobo of choice. HEDT on either AMD and Intel is at least as much about doubling down on RGB blinkenlights now as it is about having moar corezzz.

I wish someone then sold smooth looking atx cases with tempered glass windows so I could go full retard with RGB.. like this, but larger:

http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-Shift.html

Or maybe https://www.overclockers.co.uk/anidees-ai-crystal-cube-lite-atx-cube-tempered-glass-black-ca-03d-ad.html and get some loving rgb fans to the front

http://www.anidees.com/aihalo

Ooor https://www.inwin-style.com/en/gaming-chassis/805i

... The best option is that manufacturers ditched all the useless poo poo and put the money to better components and heatsinks, like they still did some years ago. Nowdays every mobo on the market looks like you waste half of your money for a pile of garbage.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Can you actually just unscrew all the "shrouds" and toss them away? They look ugly and I can't imagine what purpose they serve.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So 1700X is 600-700€ cheaper than 1920X with a mobo... 150€ per core is a bit meh price.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Will be interesting to see how well the new 6core intels work. That gamernexus 1700x vs 7700k review was quite bleak, ryzen still leaves a ton of gpu performance unused.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'll do the usual: spread Arctic Silver 3 evenly to whole surface with a credit card and don't think about it too much. I'm scared of change so I'll keep on using what has worked so far!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The two modes with TR seem to be a pain in the rear end. For me it feels too much unnecessary thinking and tweaking. I'll look at the new intel 6 core models, and if they really can go ~5GHz+ on all cores with decent temps it is the way to go. Amd just won't catch intel in single threaded performance this year.

(Or maybe it just looks like so because anandtech used garbo ddr 2400 or something instead of 3200+..)

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 10, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

B-Mac posted:

lol what? Were you really looking to compare a 6 core chip to a 16 in completely different price and use brackets?

Yes. That's what many people do though. Buy $1000 gaming cpu when a $300-400 cpu would be good enough, or even better.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Are you new to computers and do you know that TR is a HEDT chip, not a consumer gaming CPU?

X399 aorus gaming? X399 gaming pro carbon? X399 fatal1ty pro gaming? X399 zenith from asus has no "gaming" but it's republic of gamers branded and comes with full rgb led arrays

So please tell that to the motherboard manufacturers, not me. The launch motherboard lineup consists purely of gaming motherboards.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Krailor posted:

You could save a little money by getting the EVO instead of the pro. You'll never notice the difference between the two unless you run SSD benchmarks for a living.

You could also buy sm961 series.. 512GB MLC is 225€ in Germany: https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/512GB-Samsung-SM961-M-2-2280-PCIe-3-0-x4-32Gb-s-3D-NAND-MLC-Toggle--MZV_1114534.html

While 512GB MLC 960 pro is 295€: https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/512GB-Samsung-960-Pro-M-2-2280-NVMe-PCIe-3-0-x4-32Gb-s-3D-NAND-MLC-Togg_1124051.html

Saves you 70€.. I think other sizes have similar price differences.

Not amd cpu related but I can't figure out why to buy Evo or pro series when sm961's are so cheap.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The only way to get intel to stop using that lovely TIM is to see someone else, like amd, crush Intel in competition. And the only remaining way for Intel to be competitive has to be to stop using that lovely TIM they've used for a decade+

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Speaking of DOOM.

This, hopefully, is not what goes into the next generation of consoles.

I don't know how much more I can deal with consoles still not being able to do 1080p60, despite claiming so.

I jumped from 1280x1024 to 2560x1600 and I don't understand how people can still stand such low resolutions.. especially if it doesn't even run at 60fps. Of course the price of a console is like 1/3-1/4 of a good gaming pc.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have everything configured to perfection. But I finally have to reinstall because my Windows is on a MBR disk and I guess it's time to move to GPT, separate recovery partion and all that. I guess there's no way to migrate old MBR windows installation to the new system?

E: apparently creators update has a new MBR2GPT tool to fix this issue. Wow. So I'll just clone my current disk to a new SSD, Upgrade to win10 and see how that works.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 31, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Big if true.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'm cool if zen2 beats the crap out of Intel in 2019, gives me some time to enjoy the 8700K and hope the ddr memory prices start getting lower...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I don't trust AMD enough to use their networking controllers if they ever implement one.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Don't they have money for a tripod or something? I'm drunk and that video is painful to watch.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Khorne posted:

Is mouse cursor corruption fixed on AMD's gpu drivers yet? I've been waiting since 2005.

On the positive, AMD went from an unusable joke on linux to beating out nvidia due to open sourcing their drivers there.

They EOL'd my last AMD card's drivers (hd6950) before fixing the cursor corruption so :derp:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Am I supposed to not eat that? ^ It looks like a tub of ice cream.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I slapped a noctua to my i7 920 in 2008 and only had to change fans since then. All fans eventually die or start making annoying noises.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My m.2 nvme temps dropped at least 20C after moving the ssd to a corner of the motherboard instead of between gpu & cpu. Another good idea is to use pci express cards with m.2 slots. I don't understand why mobo makers place some of the m.2 slots to terrible hot zones.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 2, 2019

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

A pc should not have a window. Does your car's bonnet have a window? :iiaca:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Old motherboards had multiple copper heatsinks, connected by heatpipes. Time to start manufacturing them again? At least the mobo prices should cover the expense..

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So the only reason intel now beats amd in (low resolution) games is clock speed? If amd could do at least 4,7GHz instead of 4,2-4,3, they would be even?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Why can't people just pirate poo poo without trying to get sanctimonious about it

They haven't still learned the lesson that no one cares and you won't ever get any problems as long as you pirate without making a noise about it. In other words, just don't tell anybody about your immoral habits. Life is suddendly a lot easier!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So the only passive X570 board is the ultra expensive Aorus Extreme? Does any other board have passive cooling? My old intel mobo from 2008 had heatpipes and copper heatsinks. The X58 chipset had 24W TDP and the motherboard was 300€.

X570 is 11W TDP, slap on some loving heatpipes and heatsinks, they cost like $5 or whatever. How loving cheap can the mobo makers be?!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So I guess CL22 memory sticks are a thing: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/team-group-t-create-classic-10l-ddr4-3200-mhz-cl22-2x32-gb/

Never seen a pair of 3200mhz CL22 sticks. I first thought it must be a typo, CL22 instead of CL12. Apparently the only reason for that latency is that they can run at 1.2V stock instead of 1.35V. Absolute slowest pair of memory I've ever read about.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

https://www.mindfactory.de has good stock of 5900x in EU. You can buy it immediately for 669€. They had also some 5950x but it is not currently available. 5800X and 5600X are both available with 5900X.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Some say too high memory controller voltages burn cpu's. Actual voltages may differ from mobo reported voltages. Did you OC ram, cpu, or use some auto OC settings on mobo?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I use a Pcie to m.2 adapter card because my ssd is 11cm long, while my motherboard supports only lengths up to 8cm.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I use the line out of Maximus X hero. Had problems with my Xonar sound card so ai ditched it. With a poor RCA cable to headphone amp I get some buzzing noise. With a better cable which uses a separate route, away from all the other cables, I get a nice clean signal. I don't hear any other differences. There are measurably better external dac's, but the internal dac seems to do the job well enough (= it doesn't sound like poo poo).

Too much effort to spec an external dac and then even more effort to ABX blind test it vs. motherboard integrated DAC. :effort:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Some of the coolers are not flat. They are convex for whatever reason. So only the "tip" touches the CPU properly and the coolers rotate easily because the contact area is so small - even when properly tightened. Personally I like flat coolers more, although some claim the convex shape increases cooling performance 🙄

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So will the Zen3+ be the tits? With extra stacked L3 cache on top of the CPU die? Didn't Intel make something similar with a 128MB cache and it was extra good in games.

I really want to get rid of my 8700K - it is slow after all the patches, and these hotter weathers at 14nm are no good. Even with liquid metals the thermals are crap because so many games use AVX these days. 4,7GHz allcore with AVX murders the thermals in games. I had to revert back to stock because the cpu was burning while playing.

How much chiller Zen3 is in games with AVX? I'm thinking about a 5900X or the replacement model when the Zen3+ with extra cache comes in autumn, with a X570S fanless chipset. I could use my 3600CL15 DDR4 ram for a couple of years more.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 16, 2021