Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emoji
Jun 4, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

or you can get an apple TV like an adult

The Apple TV stutters and drops frames like crazy when playing video scenes with a lot going on, while the PS3 released over a decade a go does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Sure, I'll buy the newer version of the product that was intentionally hamstringed and has the laggiest UI ever made and doesn't support basic stuff like Amazon video even tho refrigerators support that, even though all that stuff could be fixed with a basic update. Or I could use the superior PS3, whose only disadvantage is size and Apple couldn't even be bothered to make their new one in stick form.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Last Chance posted:

lol so wrong. apple tv 2/3 are miraculously responsive compared to its contemporaries like roku boxes around 2010. 4 is even better, it's the fastest box out there.

amazon video isn't on apple tv because amazon chooses not to put it there. not apple's fault.

I have an Apple TV and a PS3 hooked up right now. I'm not comparing the Apple TV to a lovely Roku. It's still ridiculously more laggy UI-wise and drops crazy frames compared to a decade-old PS3, and the interfaces for video services are worse. Deal with it.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
There's a chip in there that decodes H.264 just like every other device on the planet made in the last 10 years. The lagging is purely bad software because the hardware is more than powerful enough (evidence: the 11 year old PS3 has superior performance).

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I'm saying, why should I trust the product at all that had 3 generations to not suck, with the technology available to work fine with the first generation. And they made the new Apple TV case bigger for no reason and I would have considered it if it was a stick that could be forgotten about forever. The teardown shows it can fit into a stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Last Chance posted:

bzzt

ive never seen my third gen apple tv drop frames. ever. it does take a while between views when opening a new app or video, but it still plays everything perfectly and there's no interface lag whatsoever. netflix works, 1080p itunes stuff i've bought works, airplay, plex via airplay from phone.

still a great product and works great in my spare room

I literally had to dig out the PS3 and install Plex on it mid-episode bc the frame dropping was unwatchable on my 3rd gen Apple TV. It blew me away how much better the PS3 was for media, considering it's ancient. Now it stays hooked up.

• Locked thread