Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Been using Nord for a long time now and when i opened it the other day it asked for an update. Seems to be a pretty big upgrade from their old minimal-ish app. Now that I upgraded it doesn't matter what server I connect to near or far i get max 100kbps speeds

So I uninstalled and went back to an older version and the slow speeds still persist. Said f it and went back to the newest version and still snail speeds

I created a ticket but I'm sure that'll take forever.

Anybody have any ideas?

Windows 7 btw

edit: have gone back and forth with their tech support. seems their software is just fucky and i'll be getting a refund on their service.

GET MY BELT SON fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Ok I'm sorry to respond to my own post but I am just beyond frustrated.

To reiterate, a week or two ago I upgraded my NordVPN app and it was a pretty big upgrade. Afterwards I can't get torrent download speeds to clear 100kbps regardless of what server I try when before it was easy 2-3Mbps. After days of frustrating back and forth doing the usual tech support poo poo ask I asked for a refund. This is after uninstalling and going back to two different older versions of the vpn software AND two different torrent apps!

So today I decided to look at a new service. This time I went with Private Internet Access. Seemed pretty decent and it was almost half the price of its competitors. I download the PIA app, login, and boom I'm getting great speeds everywhere except for torrents. These are highly seeded very popular torrents that I'm testing with. And once again I can barely break 75kbps.

Does anyone have any idea what I could be missing? Did that original NordVPN update just gently caress something sideways? Whoever can fix it will get a forums upgrade of their choice if they would like.

Thanks

edit: I've also run Glary to fix any registry issues along with Ccleaner and all that fun stuff.

GET MY BELT SON fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 21, 2017

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Could be that they just throttle torrents. Try it on another device if you have one available to be sure.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Geemer posted:

Could be that they just throttle torrents. Try it on another device if you have one available to be sure.

I used it for six months prior with no issues. They would have had to change their policy if that was the case. Will look into it. Thanks for your reply

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GET MY BELT SON posted:

I used it for six months prior with no issues. They would have had to change their policy if that was the case. Will look into it. Thanks for your reply

Depending on your torrent program of choice, you can change what ports the program uses. Often times the throttling is done against certain ports because they are commonly used ports for torrenting.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

While I haven't had slow speeds, after NordVPN updated I've been unable to connect to Outlook's email service through the VPN - disconnecting immediately fixes the issue. Previous to the update, it worked fine. All the support articles I found online were for previous versions of outlook and I haven't been able to fix it - anyone have any suggestions?

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

MF_James posted:

Depending on your torrent program of choice, you can change what ports the program uses. Often times the throttling is done against certain ports because they are commonly used ports for torrenting.

Thanks for your reply. I'll look into the port situation.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

I'm using utorrent for torrenting and it's Incoming and Outgoing ports are set to random. I tried changing it to a specific port number but it gives me an error like that port isn't working. How would I go about forwarding that port in my router? Would I use my computers IP address and that specific port number?

edit1: nd I just did that and instantly my torrent download speed shot up to 800k before slowly crawling back down to 15-20

edit2: and now it shot back up again. I'm guessing it was the port issue all along and now the torrent is just behaving as any torrent over vpn would?

final edit: everything seems fine now

GET MY BELT SON fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 21, 2017

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

MF_James posted:

Looks like you had the idea that helped me fix all this mess. Would you like a forums upgrade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GET MY BELT SON posted:

Looks like you had the idea that helped me fix all this mess. Would you like a forums upgrade?

Nah it's cool man, just like to help

• Locked thread