Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Alright, I'm up for this, went and found a Google Doc character sheet, for easy access. I'm not especially familiar with the lore of 40k, but hopefully my backstory doesn't include any egregious faux pas. Let me know if I messed anything up on my character sheet.

Elwin "Gaunt" Grigori

Origin Path

Homeworld: Battlefleet
Birthright: Savant
Lure of the Void: Duty Bound (Duty to Humanity)
Trials and Trevails: Dark Voyage
Motivation: Knowledge (Knowledge is Life Money, 500 xp option)
Career: Seneschal

Backstory

Elwin Grigori came from humble beginnings, the firstborn son of a quartermaster in a distant fleet. He spent much of his childhood training to succeed his father, but he soon discovered a natural talent for administration. He could effortlessly call to mind facts and figures, and easily worked his way around the byzantine rules that governed Battlefleet requisitions. However, with this talent came ambition. Where most sought to serve the Imperium through conquest or piety, he saw it as his responsibility to bring the Imperium profit. With few economic opportunities in the Battlefleet, Elwin instead took his leave of the ship he'd called home, in order to wend his way towards serving aboard a Rogue Trader. In this time, he taught himself, or learned from those more educated than himself, as many topics as possible, in order to better ply his craft. Of course, he was forced to give up much of the early wealth he'd acquired in order to procure lessons, something he considered a wise investment.

However, all this learning proved a hazard to the aspiring seneschal. He was learning about black market archeotech from a person Elwin was increasingly convinced was a full-on heretek, when one of the devices they were examining exploded, causing a minor Warp incursion. "Minor" being a relative term in this case, as it was enough to ravage Elwin's body, and give him a glimpse of things no man was meant to see. While he avoided any significant internal injury, his skin was left sagging, his hair turned gray. He appeared to be a man more than twice his actual age. The ship and crew fared somewhat worse, but, ever the shrewd businessman, Elwin was able to pass all the blame for the incident onto his tutor, and managed to avoid joining him on his short trip out the airlock.

His altered appearance proved to be a blessing in disguise, as it made him appear more experienced than he actually was. He had the knowledge and expertise, certainly, but many considered him a little young to be ship's seneschal prior to his accident. Having finally made it to the position he'd so long sought, Elwin has proven competent and efficient, if a little cold and calculating. His tall, lean frame has led the crew to calling him "Gaunt" when they think he isn't listening. He doesn't mind, the air of mystery surrounding him only makes it easier to do his job undisturbed. A veteran scholar at this point, Elwin not only has vast knowledge of bureaucratic administration, but is a capable cryptologist and philosopher, as well. Lately, he's been working on articulating the set of rules he lives by in order to maximize profit, hoping to publish it as a philosophical treatise. He's taken to citing them when advising the crew, in hopes that they'll catch on. Ironically, while he seeks profit for the greater glory of the Imperium, he lives surprisingly simply, himself, and isn't given to ostentatious displays of wealth or status. As long as he has a steady supply of recaf, he's got all he needs.

When the Warp gate shattered behind the ship, stranding him with the rest of the crew in a completely lawless sector, Elwin Grigori took it in stride. Everything of value to him lay in the future, ahead of him, so the loss of a path back to the Imperium represented little actual value lost. He was confident that the captain would figure something out eventually to get them home, and in the meantime, there's an entire sector full of unexplored planets, just waiting to be peacefully relieved of their riches...

Rolls

Stats
Wounds
Fate Points
Insanity

Starting Acquisition: Best-Quality Calculance Array

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

chin up everything sucks posted:

Read the OP Eclectic Tastes, starting PF is 0.

He said likely, I prefer to go in with concrete information, but let's assume that holds steady, that's at most a 30 for scale, and it doesn't really pan out. Problem solved.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Werix posted:

page 34 says everyone gets one item with an acquisition modifier of +0. I am taking single item literally, so you essentially get one item of common quality of extremely rare or more common (+30 single item scale, -30 from extremely rare=0). Even with the +10 for a poor quality, you cannot get something near unique.

Ohhhh, thanks, I misunderstood that section completely. In that case, I'll just add the Calculance Array to my sheet.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Werix posted:

Okay, I'm going to keep recruit open until Friday, then I'll make picks. So far based on feedback I am going to have the game on Wednesdays since that received the most positive indication.

Next is to determine the schedule. We can either:

1. Pick a set day, i.e. always the first or last or third, etc Wednesday of the month.
2. Keep it more flexible and look at the calendar at the end of each session and pick the best Wednesday for the following month.

Since we only will play once a month, I do hope to run for the whole 6-11 time slot if possible. Though if it ends up being less that's fine too.

If we opt for the first Wednesday of the month, I don't think I'll have time to prepare for a session right proper, so if we play May 3rd it might be limited to just ship building.

If it's any help to the decision-making process, the 3rd of May is literally the only Wednesday I'm unavailable on for the foreseeable future. I have tickets to a premiere double feature of Guardians of the Galaxy and Vol. 2. By the way, is there a specific Discord channel for this game, or is it just the main Acolyte channel?