Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
So yeah, aliens show up, who talks to em?

Trump?
UN? (bet you loving can't name the sec general now)
The Queen?
Putin?
NATO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
if the aliens show up and speak french at humanity basically the french would immeidately join the alien side

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

VectorSigma posted:

the spacetime warp of a planetary gravity well is negligible if you can already drive mass to relativistic speed for interstellar travel - just collect all your poop for the whole journey and release it before your deceleration impulse so millions of tons of feces impact the moon at .58c and whatever remains of the human race carries genetic memory of how much they got owned just in time for you to show up.

I'm pretty sure aliens will be tiny as gently caress, like, we're giants compared to them.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
all the rocky planets in our solar system are smaller than earth, our brain meat totally is size inefficent (computers are much smarter and smaller) smaller aliens means they can go faster (smaller space ships)

the evidence is there

im presupposing that the aliens come and visit US

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yes

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
also maintaining 0.1g indefinitely is insane

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
torchship!!!!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
it would be loving awesome if like, suddenly there were 1000s of new stars, the braking burn of a massive fleet of alien ships. we only can see their burn plooms from this far out but we know its a massive fleet. And we know exactly when they will show up based on their deceleration curves: 2190. we have almost 200 years to get ready for whatever the gently caress it is.
At night the blue glow from their engines is bright enough to see with the naked eye.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
or, another scenario

earth's neutrino detectors go nuts, receiving some sort of binary code, on off on off 01011100101110111010001010
the data is recorded even though the neutrino scientists are pissed that someone is loving up their experiments. the stream of neutrinos seem to come from the core of the milky way
scientists around the world get to work cracking the code, years go by with zero progress decoding whatever it is, the public loses interest quickly
the transmission ends
we still don't know whatever the gently caress

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i also think that there could be viruses zooming around the universe, some sort of signal that makes lifeforms want to build radio telescopes and rebroadcast the signal until the universe is singing the same hymn and whoever is running the sim gets pissed off and shuts us down

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
HMV is 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000x too prolix as gently caress

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lem is like Polish Prolixski

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
imo HMV shouldn't have had ANY useful side effects whatsoever. i thought the frogs eggs spoiled the core message of the book. if you get magic alien tech outta a alien transmission then damnit you got something useful outta it

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
HMV is also not a first contact story. its a prolix story about prolix as gently caress bureaucratzy. HMV could have been written about (prolix) hieroglyphics found deep underwater, or a new (extra prolix) technology.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im pretty sure earth is loving backwards as gently caress in the eyes of the aliens
our philosophy
our morality
is light years behind theirs
they will ask
why didn't you listen to ron paul? you only needed to listen.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

mysterious frankie posted:

Imagine Trump trying to impress aliens with various boasts about gold buildings and voter turnout. They're all like, "We traveled countless light years to sp-" and then he cuts them off to tell them about how he has a golf course in Scotland, and it's the best.

Now imagine he gets really mad at the aliens when they don't seem duly impressed by his hot daughter or whatever, so he send several aircraft carriers into space in order to send em a message. Just launches the fuckers, unmodified for space flight and fully crewed, into the void.

i think ive seen this anime

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
She did dress very science fictiony. And she can't describe why she wants to run. She has a fanatical circle of insiders. Support of the American Deep State, and the Soroses of the world.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
just finished reading it myself, shorter than I thought it would be!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

bump_fn posted:

you can read?

my recommendation for the c-spam book club was the one selected by 2 rounds of voting
of course i can read

blindsight :drac::drac::drac::drac::drac::drac::drac::drac:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
"We find that humans enslave other, lesser, species. Thus you should have no complaints that we shall now enslave you!"

• Locked thread