Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Samovar posted:

The only good kickstarter NPC I've seen is Muffet in Undertale.

At least none of the backer characters in this game (that I've seen so far,anyway) are offensively bad like most backer characters. I honestly still don't get why devs do that-the backer characters are inevitably some anime garbage (that ninja guy from Shovel Knight) some creepy fetish thing (So Sorry from Undertale) or "quirky" like our weevil friend.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mr hat from shovel knight kicks so much rear end tho

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Chimera-gui posted:

It's amateur entomology time again and like Stag AKA the taxi, Willoh is actually a real life insect called the giraffe weevil (Trachelophorus giraffa):

:3: An excellent bug

Gosh the little bits of voice-acting in this game are so charming, I really like the idea of having just a couple fake-words to give a sense of their voice and language

Knorth fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 22, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Giraffe weevil looks pretty lovely, in its own way.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
An easy way to do hardmode(That would probably be possible to do with memory editing even) without bloating, would just have the enemy ai always think you're healing, thus be more agressive.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Nalesh posted:

An easy way to do hardmode(That would probably be possible to do with memory editing even) without bloating, would just have the enemy ai always think you're healing, thus be more agressive.

I feel like that would cause issues seen in stuff like Dark Souls 3 where enemies would aggro from way beyond sight and ruin your day.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

At least none of the backer characters in this game (that I've seen so far,anyway) are offensively bad like most backer characters. I honestly still don't get why devs do that-the backer characters are inevitably some anime garbage (that ninja guy from Shovel Knight) some creepy fetish thing (So Sorry from Undertale) or "quirky" like our weevil friend.

The kickstarter backer characters from Divekick all feel more or less at-home. (I won't say 'not anime bullshit' or 'quirky' or whatever, but because of Divekick's nature as a parody of its entire genre that's all to the good.)

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 5: Fungal Wastes

Fungal Wastes is a neat level imo, mainly because of how it leads up to technically the first fork in the game. We also get a boon in our possible equipment with the charm salesman in this zone; his stuff can definitely speed the game up through offering attack damage or way more Geo, but you better not die while wearing his stuff. A majority of the area though requires some back-tracking, so we haven't quite seen all of it yet.

Also, if you haven't done so already, Be sure to vote on where we go next.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Leg-Eater looks like some kind of Mantis.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm not sure this is the fan-comic you were talking about, but I found something.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I'm not sure this is the fan-comic you were talking about, but I found something.

That's exactly it, thanks

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I love how those gasbag things are blatantly Pikmin monsters.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah, as amazing as the melee range boosts are I keep going without them just to avoid loving with my muscle memory whenever I use something else. ESPECIALLY when trying to pogo stick off strings of moving enemies and spikes, which I’m already bad enough at without multiple versions of range to remember. You are not alone in shelving the dashmaster badge in shame

Note to self, get back to this game now that I know my save file has been salvaged. Holy poo poo you can cover a lot of ground and get a lot of mileage without progressing the plot much in this game, but I’d have hated to start without the most basic of upgrades again…

Now I’m feeling some hindsight guilt for my optional upgrades vote, because it didn’t quite click that "get upgrades first!" meant putting off the weapon upgrades.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I didn't even know you could dash upwards with that charm. I thought it was all down-dash dodge.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The fungis you and Travis were thinking of is called the cordyceps.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I like this game because it heavily rewards knowing certain tricks on multiple playthroughs.

Like being able to sword bounce off of ANY spiked surface, including vertical ones.

Also while it may seem counterintuitive, certain bosses are extremely vulnerable to being damage raced, and the thorny revenge trinket actually can significantly add to your dps if you're trying that.

Also, finally, Leg Eater's strength up just increases your nail damage by 50%. After other potential modifiers.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 29, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i absolutely loved hollow knight and took about 45 hours to fully 100% it. the funny thing is, though, that i forgot to go back to where salubra is after getting the dash and didn't have access to the charm shop for...a solid chunk of the game

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I didn't even know you could dash upwards with that charm. I thought it was all down-dash dodge.

The LP convinced me to buy the game, so I went and got the Dashmaster charm, and I tested this. Unless the up-dash input is some bizarre 623+jump input or something, there is no up-dash, just a down dash.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
It says that it's only a down dash in the description too

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, there's absolutely no upwards dodge. i'm pretty sure that would also break more than a few ability-gated jumps and the like

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
It is indeed a down-dash only. I had a lapse of memory when I recorded that commentary, which will be corrected next vid.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dashmaster isnt even that great until later.
Though, with some skill, you can get to that later incredibly early.

When your dash gets i-frames. :getin:
And the badge that makes your i frames do damage :getin::getin:

Oh and I got the game and relentlessly played it to 100% after video 2.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 31, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really love the image of coming up to a cheerful sign that says "well done, you're almost there" just short of a collapsed bridge over a deadly chasm.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 6: Highwang Dies in Acid

Today's episode is a distinct reason why this LP by democracy method I'm utilizing can be a bit of a hassle. I am super rusty.

But yeah, Mantis Village is super neat. For one we get the walljump here, which opens up way more platforming challenges in the future. The big gimmick though is that the 2nd half of Mantis Village is entirely optional. Its the most obvious path to an area we have to go to later in the game, but its walled off by an admittedly difficult boss for first-time players. The boss' issues also highlight the poor checkpoint placement in this level, with the next closest one only unlocked AFTER you beat them. I enjoy the fight however, its honestly the best way to handle multi-boss fights in general compared to the Souls series where AI just piggy-backs attacks through each other with no logical pattern.

The area beyond Mantis Village is how the game intends you to enter for the first time, but there are multiple entrances actually as demonstrated in the 2nd half of the video. Its a place I don't want to go to right now because I'm under-geared but more importantly I don't have a key upgrade that lets me advance the segment of plot that exists here. I figure stopping by is good enough however since its a great mood-changer compared to the rest of the game.

And since I hope to record things a bit sooner, Vote for where I start going after episode 7!

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
You don't miss out on the bestiary for anything permanently, because there are certain objects you can interact with to get bestiary entries. And one appears in that room much later.

As for those hollow log tube things,
You can interact with them for lore after a certain event. I think that event is actually talking to the moss prophet. Or it's when the lore-thing appears later.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 5, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I believe the term Wang was looking for is patriarchal which is what a society run by men is called.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Also, apparently the cannibalistic tendencies of mantises is apparently only observed in captivity? Or is it under directly stressful situations - apparently it's not that common.

Edit: I demand the entirety of the fanfiction of the lady-bug.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 5, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I believe female mantids only eat the males when they're stressed, like when they're in captivity being studied. It's the same sort of narritive-shaping study error that leads to that extremely aggressive alpha wolf pack structure that gets co-opted by douchebags to justify their douchebaggery.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Yeah, basically the mantids were half-starved and it was a desperation move by the female. Not typical at all.

Also vote for the sewers, it'll let me post the second part to that "leg eater" comic Highwang loves.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
I would have gone with Fun. Wastes for that abbreviation.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Deepnest can go eat a dick. I understand why they went with this particular style and design elements (because there are some things you just have to have in a game about bugs) but... Ugh. And we haven't even seen the really creepy parts yet.

Probably explains why I had no idea the Moss Prophet existed.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

How does anyone hate Brenna? :3:

The Mantis Lords are pretty rough without a weapon upgrade, so nice job there.

Tough choices on where to go next, so my vote isn't for the area itself but who we meet there :allears:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Highwang posted:

The boss' issues also highlight the poor checkpoint placement in this level, with the next closest one only unlocked AFTER you beat them.
To be fair, getting the respect you deserve feels drat good, and taking a rest after that fight is the perfect way to end a playing session. I have no idea whether it was intentional design or not, but it worked for me.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
On my first playthrough of this game, I went to deepnest immediately after beating the mantis lords.

I would not recommend it. The part shown is one of the less difficult areas.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The mantis lords are one of those 'click' bosses.
Theyre hard when you start but when you see through the pattern it just clicks into place and you can just wreck em.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I think you missed a couple of "beefed it" moments in your tracker.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for some reason i'd been under the impression that the mantis lords were a required boss to get into deepnest, but looking back they really obviously weren't. that said, i got tunnelvision when i got to that part and beat them without any nail or damage upgrades at all for some dumb reason. it got to the point where i could dodge everything easily but it took forever to beat any of them.

deepnest is definitely a pain in the rear end but it's definitely by design

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

azren posted:

I think you missed a couple of "beefed it" moments in your tracker.

When you edit videos at 4am you aren't exactly firing on all cylinders. Oh well.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Way, way more people need to know about this game and how good it is. Get it and play it to 100 percent as soon as you can, world, and then weep into your hands because you have to wait for the upcoming content packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I think I went to 'the best area in the game' instead of going to the Mantis Lords (I took one look at the hole in Mantis Village's floor and went NOPE), and yeah, that place is loving gorgeous.

Also, I think you can make Quirrel (spelling?) appear on the little airdash-requiring platform above the acid pit right in front of Mantis Village proper - I left to touch a bench before going in and found him there while going back. I don't know what the trigger is for it, though, since you obviously didn't get him to show!

Also, you might have thought of Ruin Sentinels, but I thought of Skeleton Lords, which I think is a much better designed (if easier) boss fight. I admit that's probably just due to the name, though; the Mantis Lords don't summon adds.

vdate fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 6, 2017

• Locked thread