Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Freak: -1 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +3 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Bird's Nest Cafe (Mood Music)

This is so awesome.

If you had told me a few months ago that I'd actually be a part of an actual superhero team, I'd very politely tell you to stop raising my hopes up, and yet, here I am, in a group with an awesome mystical shadow ninja, en elf princess who's also my best friend, and a super badass girl who can control flames! And they made me their leader! Er, sorta. Cinder didn't really care all that much, but Lauren and Kouzai seem to have enough faith in me! We even have our own base! Kinda! It's cool that my dad let's us use the cafe's basement as a temporary base until we find a better one, and it's even cooler of him to give us free drinks and snacks when we meet up. Dad makes the best coffee.

Still, just because I'm the leader now doesn't mean I get to slack off. I need to train even harder now so I don't fall behind. I like to keep myself constantly active, which is why I involve myself in as many school activities as I can, and just today I signed up me and Kouzai for the martial arts club so we can spar at school, too. I'm sure he won't mind me signing him up without telling him.

I take a sip of my coffee as I watch the news unfold. Wow, talk about the perfect opportunity! If we can take out The Hunter and his men, and save those hostages, then that'll be the boost we need to our reputation, and maybe I can impress Kouzai, too! He's just so cool, and he's way more of a hero than I am, if I'm being honest. I still remember how shocked I was when he voted me as team leader. I thought for sure that he'd be the one leading us, but he declined. I hope I don't let him down.

I listen to what he has to say about The Hunter, and nod, "Focusing on getting the hostages out first is a good idea. I think you, with your whole shadow magic thing, and me, with my phasing thing, can sneak in and help them get out." I tap a finger on my chin as I work out the rest of the plan in my head, "It might help if one of causes a distraction, and take their focus away from the hostages, but that might be a little tricky." I look at the rest of my team, "Thoughts?"

Steelheart, The Beacon posted:

Hero Name: Steelheart
Mask: Beacon
Look: woman, white, tough face, simple clothing, flashy costume

Abilities
Martial Arts - Audrey has a black belt in Aikido, and is able to use the techniques she learned in combat… most of the time.
Phasing - The closest thing she has to a superpower. Steelheart can make her body intangible, letting her pass through physical matter. She can make any object or person she comes in contact with intangible as well.

Labels
Freak -1
Danger -1
Savior +3
Superior +0
Mundane +2

Moves
❑❑ Suck it, Domitian: When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll + Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.

❑❑ Won’t let you down: When you help a teammate, you can spend 2 out of the Team pool to add +2 to their roll.

Moment of Truth
This is the moment when you show them exactly why you belong here. You do any one thing, take out any one enemy, no matter how insane, no matter how ridiculous, because that’s you. Their jaws are gonna drop when you’re done. Of course, pulling off a stunt like this tends to bring unwanted attention and a dangerous reputation...

Drives
- make out with a teammate
- take down a threat all on your own
- reject someone who tells you “you shouldn’t be here"
- pull off a ridiculous stunt

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they’re awesome and add a Team to the pool. If they tell you how you’re awesome in return, add another Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice.

When our team first came together…
We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?

Relationships
Sunbow is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.
You’ve got to prove yourself to Nightblade before you feel like a real hero.

Influence
You are so excited to be here. Give Influence over you to three of your teammates.

Background

• How did you gain your skills?
Training. Lots and lots of training. I spent years getting myself into shape, and honing my hand-to-hand skills. I might not have much in the way of powers, but that never stopped me from working as hard as I possibly can.

As for the whole phasing thing? I’ve been able to do that for as long as I can remember. When I was younger, my body would react to danger by turning intangible, and I’ve never been able to control when my body phases until a few years ago, when I finally managed, after months of trying, to gain control of my powers.

• When did you first put on your costume?
Oh! Do you like my costume!? Oh man, I spent months working on it, and you wouldn’t believe how hard (and how EXPENSIVE) it was to make! I had to look all over the internet to find the right materials, and I spent like, all of my allowance on new sewing equipment, but it was SO worth it! I love making costumes, and this was my first attempt at making an original one that wasn’t just cosplay, so I’m glad it turned out as well as it did!

...Sorry, I know it’s probably weird to get all excited about a costume, but I worked so hard on it, and when I put it on for the first time, I- well, I felt like I could actually do it. I felt like I could actually be a real hero.

• Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn’t be a superhero?
My older sister, Cassie Steel, aka Blink. Sis was born with super speed, and she’s been in the hero business longer than I have. I admire my sister for all that she’s done for the city, but I really wish she would stop treating me like a child. She’s constantly trying to discourage me from being a hero, telling me it’s “too dangerous,” and how "someone like me” won’t be able to handle the bigger threats.

I know how dangerous it is, and I know my sister is just worried about me, but I’ve worked too hard over the years to give up now! I’ll show my sister, and everybody else who’s ever doubted me, that I can be just as much of a hero as she is, and I won’t need fancy powers to do it!

• Why do you try to be a hero?
I’ve always admired superheroes. I admire their strong sense of justice, and how they’re always willing to do the right thing, and I remember how much I wanted to be like them. I wanted to make a real difference in the world, like they do, so I trained. I trained as hard as I possibly can to be like the heroes I admire so much.

Being a hero has been my lifelong dream, and, after years of hard work, I’ve finally managed to achieve that dream. I’m a hero now, and I did it through years of hard work and dedication!

• Why do you care about the team?
They’re my friends, and they’re all so amazing! I’m lucky to be with a team that considers me an equal, despite my lack of powers, and I just love spending time with them! Each and every one of my teammates are special to me, and I’m confident we’ll be able to accomplish great things together as a team!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Bird's Nest Cafe (Mood Music)

Oh my gosh! They actually agree with my plan! I wasn't sure if it was any good or not, but they all seem to think that it's a good idea. "Sure, that'd be great!" I say to Lauren when she mentions flying me there.

"Alright, Youngbloods!" I stand, looking as determined as I possibly can, and pump my fist, "Let's go save that unicorn and those people, and kick some supervillain butt!"

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: The Zoo

Alright, here we are. I'm a little nervous, but that's normal. As long as we stick to the plan, things should turn out well... hopefully.

I pull out my phone, and start typing in the group chat I've created for us. We, uh, couldn't exactly afford actual communicators, so this is the closest thing we've got for now. I just hope Lauren remembers how to use her phone...

The Youngbloods! posted:

Steelheart: alright gang. you all remember the plan?

Steelheart: nightblade will use his shadow powers to get us in unnoticed

Steelheart: once we're in, sunbow and cinder will create a distraction

Steelheart: we'll try to get the hostages out fast while they're distracted

Steelheart: if anything goes wrong (and hopefully it doesn't), we'll switch focus on taking out the bad guys as fast as possible

Steelheart: remember; the safety of the civilians come first

Steelheart: that should be it

Steelheart: good luck, team!!!!

I close my phone, and turn my head to look at Nightblade, "Alright, ready to go?"

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 30, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Ah!" I close my eyes, and hang on to Nightblade as he takes me with him through the shadows. I try my best to ignore the voices, but it's... hard. I hear a soft, elderly voice call out to me. Granny? But I thought you passed away? What was that? You want me to join you for coffee? But granny, I'm on an important mission. I'm a hero now, just like you and Cassie! It'll just be for a few minutes? Well, in that case, I suppose I could- NO! That is NOT my granny's voice! Granny would never tell me to stray away from the path! I don't care how much you sound like her, you're not my granny! You're not- Huh? Is someone touching my hand?

I cautiously open one eye up, and that's when I've noticed two things: One, we're not in the shadow realms anymore (Thank God), and two, I... am clinging on very tightly to Nightblade. My head is practically buried in his chest. His... incredibly well-toned, chiseled chest...

"U-um!" I quickly let go of him. My face is incredibly flushed right now. Alright, Steelheart, get your head back in the game. Things might've gotten a little awkward, sure, but you've got a mission to do, and a team to lead! Stop thinking about Nightblade's abs, and focus on what you came here to do!

I pull out my phone again, and send Cinder and Sunbow the signal.

The Youngbloods posted:

Steelheart: we're in!

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Nightblade!" I rush to him as fast as I can when I see Bullet shooting at him. I grab his arm, and phase the both of us, causing the bullets to go through our intangible bodies. Phew, that was way too close.

...Oh! Right! The hostages! I was so focused on helping Nightblade that I almost forgot about them! I quickly let go of his nice, strong arm, and say, "Well, I guess we know where he is now. Do you think you can handle him while I try to get the hostages out of here?"

quote:

<Hugzilla> Steelheart is going to defend Nightblade! (+1 from influence)
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+4
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 11+4 = 15

Adding a team to the pool!

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Bullet's mocking words cause me to go silent. I wish I could say his words didn't affect me, but they do, a little.

I've been told, time and time again, by so many different people, that I'm not a "real" hero. I'm just a regular girl pretending to be one. I have powers, sure, but they're so small and limited, and a little useless when it comes to an actual fight. I've been told I should give up on this "silly" dream of mine, and let the "actual" heroes do the "real" work. All I'm ever going to do is get in the way. After all, what could a "normie" like me do?

Heck with that!

Sure, I might not have any fancy powers, but that doesn't make me any less of a hero! It's about heart, and having a strong sense of justice! And right now, my justice is telling me to take this two-bit thug down!

"...Nightblade, there's going to be a slight change of plans," I let go of his arm, and stand in between him and Bullet, "You go get the hostages out of here," I go into my fighting stance, and narrow my eyes at bullet, "I'm going to show this punk how much a hero with a "vaguely useful power" can do."

quote:

<Hugzilla> Rejecting Bullet's influence!
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 8 = 8

Cancelling his influence, and taking +1 forward against Bullet.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Beat-down city!

I nod at Nightblade. He's right; my justice is not so easily shaken. If it was, then there's no point in me being a hero in the first place. I became one so I can help people, and so I can stop people like him. People who trample all over the weak. People who only care about their own selfish gains. He's nothing but a big bully that needs to be taken down.

"My name is Steelheart!" I loudly declare, "The hero with a heart of steel! And I-" I point at him, "Will be the one who will bring you to justice!"

I charge forward, phasing through his bullets, and once I get close to him, I bring my arm back, "Ha!" and deliver a palm strike to his chest. I put enough force into the strike so he'd still feel it under all that armor. I don't stop there, I continue hitting him with a flurry of kicks and punches, and not giving him a chance to use those guns of his. He tries to get a punch in, but I dodge it, and hit him with an upwards palm strike, causing that helmet of his to rattle a little.

"What's wrong? I thought you said this wouldn't be "that much of a challenge?" Don't tell me you're actually having trouble fighting a "weak" hero like me?" I can't help but give a self-satisfied smirk. He goes in for another punch, but instead of dodging, I grab his arm, and use his momentum against him to toss him onto his back.

"There's no way you're winning this fight. I'd give up now, if I were you."

quote:

<Hugzilla> Steelheart is going to Directly Engage Bullet! (+1 forward)
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+4
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 7+4 = 11

• resist or avoid their blows
• impress, surprise, or frighten the opposition

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None! | Location: Beat-down city!

"Ah!" Phew! It's a good thing I managed to phase through the explosion in time! Did he really have to set the whole place on fire!?

I need to finish this, fast, before the whole place burns down, but how? My knuckles are pretty bruised from punching his armor (Seriously, why did I think it was a good idea to punch a man in metal armor?), so I can't keep doing that. I need to take his armor away from him, somehow, but how? It's not like I could just phase him out of it, and I can't punch through it, either.

...Wait, his helmet! That's it! I just need to get rid of that helmet of his!

"I'm not letting you get away that easily!" I rush at Bullet again, making it look like I'm going to start punching him again, but instead, I phase right through him, and end up right behind him, catching him off-guard. I take advantage of the situation, and grab his helmet, and say "I don't think you'll be needing this anymore!" before I pull it out, taking his helmet away from him. Now I have something I can actually punch without breaking my hands!

quote:

<Hugzilla> Steelheart is going to engage bullet! Again!
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 5+3 = 8

Taking his helmet away from him!

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Afraid, Insecure | Location: In over her head

"Guh!" Okay, so, while it's a good thing that I've bullet-proofed my costume, it doesn't make the impact of the bullet hurt any less. I'm knocked right off my feet, and sent sprawling on the ground.

My whole body is in a great amount of pain, and I'm pretty sure I have a few cracked ribs now, but I can't- I can't let that stop me! I just... I just need to move. I need to get back up, and get myself back into the fight! I just need to stand up again, and... and...

...Why won't my body move?

...Am I... am I scared...?

...No! I can't let myself be afraid now! Not after all that! Not after all my big hero talk! I'm supposed to be a hero, darnit! I've worked so hard to be where I am now! I can't let all those years of training be for nothing! I can't! Come on, move! MOVE!

Through sheer force of will alone, I manage to stand up again, but barely. My legs are shaking, like they could collapse at any moment, my vision is getting blurry, my breathing is getting heavier, I'm exhausted, and I could feel the heat getting to me. "N-not yet!" A bit of blood starts pouring out of my mouth, "Not yet! This fight... It's not over!"

I don't know how long I can keep standing, but I can't- I can't give up! I need to keep fighting! I need to prove to them that I'm not some sort of joke! I'm a hero, just like them! I can do this! I can... I can... I can...

...Oh God...

...I can't do this...

quote:

9:35 AM <HugzillaPhone> Steelheart takes a powerful blow
9:35 AM <Krysmbot> HugzillaPhone, 11 = 11

Marking Afraid and Insecure, and choosing to give Bullet an opportunity.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Afraid, Insecure | Location: BFF Beatdown!

"Lauren?" I look up, and see Lauren yelling angrily at Bullet, and when I bring attention back to him, I see him aiming a gun at Lauren. "Don't you dare hurt my friend!" And just like that, all my hesitation was gone, and my body was finally able to move again. I run, ignoring all the pain I'm in, and hit Bullet with a shoulder tackle. I don't know if I got there in time to stop him from hurting Lauren, but I do manage to send him stumbling back, right into the direction of her arrow!

Defending Sunbow! (+1 from influence): 2d6+2 8
Going to remove Afraid, and choosing to expose myself to danger

Nevermind! Looks like I can't defend until we've resolved Bullet getting an opportunity on me.

I'm also using 2 Team to boost Sunbow's roll by +2, making it a success!

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Afraid, Insecure | Location: BFF Beatdown!

Oh, no! Lauren got hurt, and it's... it's all my fault. If only I didn't try to take on Bullet, one-on-one, none of this would have ever happened. Why did I ever think that I could take him on by myself?

....Agggghhh! No! This is no time to start doubting myself! Bullet's getting away, and he's too dangerous for us to let him go! I follow behind Lauren, and see her draw her sword. "Uh, Lauren? What are you planning on doing with tha- ah!" I jump back in surprise when she slices through the door, "You- ah- you know I could've just... phased us through it, right? ...Ah, nevermind."

I make my way outside, and rush after Bullet. "Woo! Way to go, Laur- I mean, Sunbow!" I cheer, after she traps him in a barrier of light. Hm, now that he's trapped, maybe I can convince him to stand down? I'll need to choose my next few words very carefully, though.

quote:

<Hugzilla> Piercing Bullet's mask
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 6+2 = 8

How could I convince you to join our side?

• Locked thread