Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Played some games yesterday with a friend, and some people from said friend's workplace. They were all big into Overwatch and wanted the free loot, so they were trying HOTS for the first time ever.

Even though some of them were utterly hopeless (like a person playing Uther and spending 90% of their time auto attacking people and only remembering to heal people when they specifically asked for it, and sometimes not even then) everyone had a great time. All the newbies who came in with the attitude of "I'll just play my five games and GTFO" said they wanted to play more. Honestly it was also kinda fun to carry hard as hell with Varian and Ragnaros.

It was also kinda funny to see people who literally installed the game yesterday looting the same Maraudin' Muradin skin I paid close to 30 euros for as a Christmas present to myself :v:

So far 2.0 is a massive triumph in my eyes, the new loot system is cool and good and people are discovering that HOTS is a fun game.

HelixFox posted:

Wilfred Fizzlebang should be a hero. His trait is being permanently killed at the start of the match and replaced with Jaraxxus, Eredar Lord of the Burning Legion.

And then this plays nonstop for the entire match, like Natural Born Killers played during New Jack's matches in ECW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkeC9WVVsQ4

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SirSamVimes posted:

Also friendly PSA that God-King Leoric is only 100 shards.

I got Leoric's Space King Motorcycle from a chest, then a few chests later I got his Space King skin. I should really play more Leoric since that skin owns so hard.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Why is that the only thing keeping you in the mech though? That seems like wasting a lot of D.Va's potential, because you're not slowing or disrupting people as a pilot.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

p-hop posted:

I have Brightwing announcer, Gazlowe is the next one I should get right? Are there any other announcers on the same tier as them?

ETC is good if you like his personality, which I do. "Check it out, a dead guy" never fails to crack me up.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Gustav posted:

5-stacks in QM are very rarely actually coordinated teams, it's usually just some guy and a bunch of people he picked up in a chatroom for the xp bonus

Yep. I've been playing a bunch with a friend recently and we've come up against 5 stacks several times. I think once they were actually a well coordinated team who utterly annihilated us, but the rest of the times they haven't been any better than five generic pubbies.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh Snapple! posted:

Ah, there's the GG, WP nerf everyone probably should have been expecting.

Yep. I just have to say I'm still really not happy with their philosophy of "this talent gets picked more often than the three pieces of poo poo it shares a level with... let's nerf this talent!"

God damnit make the alternatives useful instead of nerfing everything into the ground.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I quite like Probius, but he could do with some quality of life tweaks. Pylons just seem like a burden because of their relatively long cooldown and how easy they are to destroy, when they are absolutely essential to Probius. Alao, the level 20 Pylon talent seems to be bugged.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I love enemy Sylvanas players who think they can just solo push a lane all game long because they're free kills every minute or so.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I love Nazeebo. He's got a slow ramp up but if you take the 2% mana and HP return on Voodoo Ritual kills talent he can lane infinitely, and he starts to steamroll as you approach 20. When you complete the "200% Voodoo Ritual plus it affects heroes" quest (which should be immediately upon hitting 20 if you've been living right) you become death himself.

I especially love pubbies who take ults or skills which require them to channel, giving me ample time to surround them with gingerbread men and dunk spiders on them. Thanks for the free kills, Gul'dan!

Nazeebo's been my favourite character since I started playing and he's in such a good place right now.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yukari posted:

Got to try out spiders Nazeebo for a few games. How do you stack up voodoo ritual fast without running OOM?

Here's the Nazeebo build I've been running recently and having great success with:

https://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent-calculator/nazeebo#oqF-

Blood Ritual basically means you never, ever run out of mana and can just lane indefinitely. If the enemy team has a comp where you getting dived and obliterated isn't a huge deal, you can swap Thing of the Deep for Widowmakers on level 1.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Like I said earlier, Nazeebo has been my favourite hero since I started playing and he's in a great place right now IMO.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Haha, god drat.

I had stockpiled some chests for Wednesday in hopes of getting Malthael out of one. I didn't. I did get one legendary, but it was a duplicate Uther's Judgment mount. Oh well, no big loss! I bought some gems to round out my wallet and bought Malthael with gems.

Today I got maybe my third chest since Wednesday. It had a legendary in it. Of course that legendary was Malthael. On the upside I can now get a bunch of fun skins :)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Toshimo posted:

When does the giveaway start actually handing stuff out? Tuesday?

Giveaway? Do you mean the physical loot chest thing or is there an in game one too?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

In general these "event" chests have been a MASSIVE disappointment. I don't think I've received a single event item from chest drops so far, and I've been opening 2-3 every day.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Radish posted:

There's no point complaining that these players are jerks when the problem is from the top. The response to this should be Hanamura removed until they can rework it into a functional map

And now it hopefully will be. Issues, even issues which seem large from the outside, will creep in unseen. That's inevitable.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

What position are people even finding themselves in where Stealth heroes are just running at them out in the open and they just can't react? On the rare occasion I play one, I still use bushes and terrain to flank until the last possible moment because you're not really invisible.

"HMM I have no idea where Zeratul is, but I'm gonna go stand next to the enemy gate and melee the tower WTF I GOT GANKED THANKS rear end in a top hat TEAM FOR NOTHING loving BLIZZARD NERF STEALTH"

Or alternatively

"Hmm I have no idea where half the team is but I'm gonna chase this low HP hero into the jungle WTF I'M DEAD EAT poo poo ENJOY YOUR LOSS rear end in a top hat TEAM loving NERF STEALTH BLIZZARD!"

One of the best pieces of advice I ever picked up from one of these threads when I was starting was that if you can't see the enemy, assume they're about to gank your rear end and play accordingly. It made me pay a lot more attention to my positioning and try to be safe instead of doing stupid poo poo.

E:

Mierenneuker posted:

Edit: There originally was a more zoomed out version, but here is the close-up. It was just still images.

I can see a Pit Lord's face in the clouds looking to the left a bit. A large mouth, a protruding chin / lower lip and a horn in the forehead. So my guess would be something like Mannoroth or Brutallus.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 20, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Semper Fudge posted:

A lot of insanely bad opinions about my boy Garrosh going on right now

Day 1 purchase for me. I want to smash some fools!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I really hope Garrosh has Execute as an Ult and it somehow bypasses Protected because gently caress Medivh/Varian/Genji

That'd be a fun mechanic, if he built up rage like a WoW warrior and could then spend extra to boost his rage spenders. Or maybe it wouldn't!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

These loot boxes were utterly hosed for me. I received precisely zero (0) event loot items from the ones I opened during the event (E: and I opened at least one chest a day, every day), EXCEPT for the five bonus chests I got from the Sun's Out, Guns Out raffle. I actually got some kind of event item from each of those, including Bikini Stitches.

If it didn't seem so far fetched, I'd almost suspect that the normal "level up and get a chest" chests were bugged and weren't actually event chests for me, but I guess I'm just an extremely outlier of bad luck.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Paranoid Peanut posted:

I'm still kinda bummed that Garrosh doesn't have a rage mechanic built in.

Yeah literally nothing about his kit or mechanics say "WoW Warrior" but maybe he'll be fun to play anyway.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Garrosh seems cool but very tricky to play. I think he'll be pretty great in organized groups and pro matches where he can pull off some loving sick nasty combos with people who are aware of what's happening around them.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I mean I understand that it'd be too cumbersome to have to pick a target and the landing spot for throws, but right now the auto target mechanism seems kinda sorta really clunky. In my last game I tried to throw a minion onto some enemies to slow them down and save a Stitches who was trying to get away from them. The targeting mechanism picked Stitches and I ended up flinging a 5% HP Stitches back into the enemy team where he was promptly murdered.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Olaf The Stout posted:

Garrosh reminds me of DVA in their ability to sow chaos, but garrosh can really do some amazing things with the right comps. Flinging enemy varians over a wall is hilarious during a cluch teamfight. Throwing your friends to safety and the enemy into a punisher stun right off is super fun.

I murdered the poo poo out of a Zagara who was trying to go nuts on our wall. Pulled her in with my Q, then chucked her over the wall for the towers to finish. It's like everything I liked about Diablo's jerk-rear end combo amped to 11.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I'll be buying Alex and KT so hard when they come out ! I really hope that health bar switch gimmick is true, as a basic ability with a high cooldown even. It would really set her apart from the more traditional supports.

The what now?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I reaaaaaaaalllllly wish they'd fix the daily quests. Thanks to their "preferential" quest algorithm I've been stuck in a loop of nothing but loving Starcraft / Warrior / Play 8 Games quests for weeks. And of course, every time I complete those quests, the algorithm thinks I want to play nothing but Starcraft warriors and gives me more of the same.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Man, the updated AI is a lot better than it used to be. Played a couple of games with Adept AI yesterday (I'm teaching a friend the ins and outs of the game and they are still very much in the "learning basic mechanics" phase) and normally I could just pretty much solo Adept AI games all by myself, but yesterday I was getting focused down and combo'd to pieces by the AI several times.

It's a lot more punishing towards too aggressive play, knows how to chain CC and is brutally good at hitting skill shots, even at lower difficulties. They move around as groups, set up ambushes and generally play a lot smarter, so well done to the Blizzard AI team!

Today I was testing the new Veteran AI and jumped into a game where a group of four players decided the best way to play would be to all push one lane like this was some god drat Beginner AI game. I think the kills were 2-13 to the enemy after a couple of minutes because the three AI on the top lane just kept dunking and dunking on them.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BrianBoitano posted:

e2: also, there's some poo poo about losing control of D.Va. If that happens to you, hit "hold attack" button, by default H, and that fixes it. Not sure how to personally recreate the bug and :effort:

For me it happened when I charged into one of the control points on Volskaya. I think I clipped into one of the standards that had landed there when our team took control of it or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=594fG9DJEiQ

Couldn't move, couldn't hearth, anything. Extremely frustrating bug, luckily for me the match ended quickly and I didn't get kicked for inactivity.

E: also similar thing happened to a Tassadar in the brawl. He got stuck in the forcefield leading out from our base, but when he disconnected, the AI could move out of there normally.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 29, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I have a bunch of halloween chests I haven't opened yet because I have very little gold. Will they stay as halloween chests after the patch or turn into normal chests?

Also, did anyone else who is a Twitch Prime subscriber not get their 5 free chests?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I am v. jazzed for the Firebat hero that is coming in "January".

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fried Watermelon posted:

Blaze's textures look a bit lower res than other heroes to me which gives credence to the possibly unfinished theory

I noticed the same thing. He looks kinda sorta real crappy.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

God drat, the Brawl is loving BRUTAL with pubbies.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Impossible. Raynor’s trait informs me that he shoots farther than other heroes.

Hanzo isn't a hero, he's a human piece of poo poo.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

fool_of_sound posted:

Man I was prepared to drop like 20-30 bucks on skins, not 50 per pack. I guess I’ll just grind chests and hope for the best.

Yeeeap, and it's not going well. I'm getting duplicates and just common trash over and over again.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Macaluso posted:

HOTS' monetization situation sucks rear end lmao

Yep, and it loving BLOWS that there's no Overwatch-type protection against getting the same poo poo over and over again. Because I'm a huge dumb idiot I bought 12 chests today. I got some epics and a bunch of rares, but of course literally NONE of them were event related. No, just give me loving Raynors and Li-Lis all day long, game. It's not like I've had them for half a loving decade.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

No Wave posted:

I wish. OW removed duplicates from lootboxes, something hots is long overdue in implementing.

Meanwhile my 12 RARE NEXOMANIA loot boxes did indeed contain some rares and epics, all duplicates of old heroes or skins I'd had for bloody ages. All the actual event-specific drops I got from my 12 chests were loving player icons and sprays. And because the new skins I want are mostly legendaries and cost 2400 in game moneys, it's not like the couple hundred tokens I got actually even get me close to any of them.

It's scammy as gently caress and I'm honestly a bit upset, both at myself for being dumb enough to buy the chests and for Blizzard for making them this lovely.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 24, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

WOW! A legendary from my loot box! Oh, the demon skin for Junkrat? Rad!

Oh WOW! A SECOND LEGENDARY? Oh, it's a recolour of the skin I just got 2 seconds ago? Rad...?

Something's hosed up with Blizzard's RNG. There was a string where I pulled the same ugly-rear end Muradin skin, the same two portrait icons and the same spray several times from either direct chests or rerolls.

Erdricks posted:

Hanzo had a poo poo wr before they nerfed him. I can't imagine what its like now. I could see taking down his range a touch, but now he seems in the greymane graveyard.

I mean I kinda get it that if pro players are picking a character constantly and just absolutely clowning on motherfuckers with it, there's probably something wrong with the character. But at the same time, if you balance around pros and pro premade teams, you'll probably ruin a lot of heroes for people who are not pros, nor get to play on premade teams.

This is more in general, because it seems Blizzard frequently reacts to poo poo that happens on the pro circuit even if a character is OK / underperforming in pub games.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 31, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

I only had Probius for a while and I was not using that. Finally got Tyrael!

I'm using my Carbot Brightwing and it's pretty pretty pretty good.

Fake edit: I also have the Carbot Murky. Hard choices.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Holy poo poo playing Chromie against the AI is a good way to get a rage-induced aneurysm. You can dump a close range sand blast into a group of five enemies and they will perfectly fan out and open a nice little corridor for the sand blast to go through. A sieged up Hammer will still last second dodge Dragon Breaths 99% of the time etc.

God drat that was awful.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm watching the HGC open tournament, and when one team picked Greymane, this very Hellboy-esque skin popped up. Never seen this before!

https://clips.twitch.tv/WealthyCrypticSandstormPeoplesChamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

New Raynor is real fun.

Bought the skin pack, the skins are real cool.

Welp that's my HOTS story!