Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Soon there will be too many people on not enough jobs...then what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
communes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
burn the excess people for fuel to power the robots

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

star trek

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i work in automation. ask me about being a class traitor

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
redeem yourself by coding secret instructions that will allow the proletariat to commander the robots and overthrow the rich

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

burn the excess people for fuel to power the robots

Suspicious posted:

redeem yourself by coding secret instructions that will allow the proletariat to commander the robots and overthrow the rich

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
a new and exciting future career for the surplus labor as reactor shielding.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
if robots are so good at jobs just tell the robots their new job is to make like free food and houses and stuff for unemployed people

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

robots are free market capitalists and insist on covering their electricity expenses

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
I wouldn't wish those jobs on my worst enemy.

Stacking pallets, loading machine tools, and welding non-stop all day would suuuuuuck.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

angry_keebler posted:

if robots are so good at jobs just tell the robots their new job is to make like free food and houses and stuff for unemployed people

yeah player piano wasn't vonneguts best but it was still good

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Just disguise yourself as a robot?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

wish op manufactured a better thread

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
do you pronounce it ro - bot or ro - butt?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
we will all have one day a year of robot maintenance duty. the rest of the time it's unlimited drugs and pizza

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I automated half of my last job and taught interns how to do the other half

then I got fired

pram
Jun 10, 2001
good

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk
robots replace factory workers. online shopping replaces retail workers. self checkout replaces grocery store workers. pretty much all these places can be run at half the staff they used to so there's a competition for poo poo jobs now.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
But who will manufacture the robots?

Really though, it'll open up a bunch of other options for people. Someone has to fix the constantly breaking lowest-bidder installed robots.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I only buy products made by American robots.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Soon there will be too many people on not enough jobs...then what

then my stocks go up

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

the robot economy

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

https://tinyurl.com/j2p7b8f

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i worked in a plastic thermalforming plant one summer. they made things like red party cups for costco and dairy creamer cups. they still had some factory lines that were mostly manual and newer ones with robots and the difference between the robots and manual was staggering. one line you had to have someone doing qa and keeping the machines running, someone stacking and packing cups and four people packing the cups into boxes. another line had a robot that cut out the stacking and packing step and only needed 2 packers while the newest line only needed someone to monitor/maintain the machine and one person to tape up and stack boxes.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
tractors and mechanical harvesters put millions of farmers out of work. they also made food super cheap and increased yields significantly. automated manufacturing such as welding robots, pick-and-place machines, and large scale integration fabs have resulted in low cost, high quality consumer products made in huge volume.

the notion that there was a person whose job it was to stand on an assembly line and do the same repetitive task thousands of times every day will seem absurd in 50 years.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

ShadowHawk posted:

do you pronounce it ro - bot or ro - butt?

See title

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

the notion that there was a person whose job it was to stand on an assembly line and do the same repetitive task thousands of times every day will seem absurd in 50 years.

lol if you think humanity is gonna make it 50 years more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

mishaq posted:

lol if you think humanity is gonna make it 50 years more

every generation of human beings has thought that they were the ones privileged to see the end of it all

not with a bang but a whimperetc etc.

• Locked thread