Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SD87 posted:

The music was the biggest disappointment for me.

Care to elaborate on that? The old pop hits are a huge part of what makes the movie work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Tommy 2.0 posted:

So, it took me a minute to realize what bothered me about this one and it hit me...it didn't feel like it moved the whole MARVEL story. At all. It was a bunch of amazing little scenes, one after another, that didn't really feel like they connected in the big picture.

This is a good thing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

I just want to know why nobody knows who David Hasselhoff is but they know what scotch tape and tasers are.

In the MCU, scotch tape was invented by aliens so it's an item used throughout the galaxy.

I imagine every culture has some sort of taser like device.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Huh, how about that.

Oh I don't know. I made it up because it sounded plausible.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Just as a reminder (to myself as well as I just had to look it up) Peter was abducted in 1988. I thought it was early 80's for some reason but I haven't seen the first movie since it landed on blu. Reason for that I was trying to understand when Knight Rider came out and PacMan.

Knight Rider - 1982
PacMan - 1980

I am sure they all checked their references just to be safe that it came out no later than 1988.

How old are you? I'm guessing Gunn had no problem remembering those were both early 80's things.

:corsair:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It was vital. Ego was trying to use the lyrics to explain to Quill why he had to leave and also why Quill himself wasn't really meant for Earth, etc...It was all part of his plan to get Quill on his side.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

I was pretry disappointed there was no Lloud Kaufman cameo in Vol. 2

There was. It's was a blink and you'll miss it thing.

I'm gonna have to see it again because according to the internet his cameo was cut. I swear I saw his face real quick during the sequence where Yondu kills all those pirates with is arrow.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 11, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not sure why, but the battle inside of Ego really gave me Star Trek 5 vibes. Not in a "wow this is terrible" way, but the face of Ego when Mantis puts him to sleep made me think of the parts of that movie where the entity at the center of the galaxy decided to jack Laurence Luckinbill's face and scream a lot.

I thought the same thing. STV was definitely an influence on that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

They explicitly show it breaking and falling off his face.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'd have to go back and watch it, but I know stretched the truth a bit (They never felt a thing), and he did tell some lies of omission, but I don't think he ever stated something false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I was wondering if they did a music video for that song.

• Locked thread