Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

Good God the blood in Lawler/MacDonald :stare:

Hell of a fight

It's so insanely good that I put it next to other Fight of the Year winners and say "not in the same league."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_Fight_Night:_Bigfoot_vs._Mir

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Work Friend Keven posted:

Is it better to circle the wrong way or to only move directly forwards and backwards.

Predictable circling is safer than a predictable linear retreat.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gay Horney posted:

I don't think he's been working with parillo for that long relatively speaking either. Pretty much all the people who hosed bisping up since 2010 have been on hella roids

And before any of you idiots talk poo poo look at rockholds jawline pre and post usada.

pics or it didn't horney

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jennifer Maia, Vanessa Porto, Valerie Letourneau, Roxanne Modiferri, and Andrea Lee are five off the top of my head. I can think of the faces but not the names of four more. Shannon Sinn is a 125er but she's not very good - I only remember her because she has a recognizable name and weird eyes. Jessica Eye will probably go to 125, as will Jojo. Jessica Andrade could end up there, too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

"Back in early 2004, I was impersonating Wes Sims for a few months as part of a bet" is probably the weirdest sentence in MMA.

Why would anyone impersonate Wes Sims? For those who don't know, Wes Sims is a tall gangly goofball heavyweight who scored one of the most blatant DQs in UFC history against Frank Mir (two-handed cage grab + face stomp), and then lost brutally in a rematch. He was on TUF 10 where he lost in the first round to Justin Wren. Not long after that a midwestern athletic commission declared him unfit to fight Tim Sylvia.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's redirecting me to the Canadian site and I can't see it. Please provide a summary or screenshot or something.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rigel posted:

This seems like a very odd thing for a fight promoter to say

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/860464220261023744

They're setting up a Vince vs Steve Austin thing here, with the Diaz brothers in the Steve Austin role.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

a) Dude stays down longer than plausible from that straight right.

b) Buddy doesn't get out of the car to help his friend until his friend is unconscious; rushes the guy who just KOed his bro with a single shot.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

manyak posted:

Theyre doing that except instead of huge dudes its small dudes and theyre hitting at like 30% power

Yeah that looks like training to fire back while getting hit

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chillanese posted:

Is this called milling? I saw some army guys milling and I had no idea what I was seeing, but it looked like this.

Milling is rolling the hands around a bit before throwing a punch as a way of getting the opponent to overreact and produce an opening. What you're seeing is called "face punching."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

McGregor does some milling with his left before the uppercuts in this gif

e. heh. Ok. I guess they're calling that milling.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The solution to this is to have fights in international waters.

RIP Boat Fights

RIP Dada 5000.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Not at all fair to say that Maia did nothing with that back mount. Putting a fighter on 100% defensive for 3.5 minutes is something. To ride back mount like that while constantly digging for a choke should probably score about the same as controlling the striking and winning exchanges without landing much in the way of major strikes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

attackmole posted:

Yes.

I mean yeah he could get knocked out but it's totally a winnable fight for him I think.

Winnable enough for Maia and cool enough in the event of Maia win to be worth watching.

Actually, as I can't see Woodley winning a decision, a Woodley win would likely be cool too. It'll be either a savage KO, a savage submission, or a humiliating smothering. All three outcomes are good.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The short version too is that "funk" in "funk wrestling" is basically "it stinks" - i.e. it's wrestling that isn't pretty, traditional technique, usually more looking like random spastic sprawling, but it works and it's more technical and deliberate than seeming at first glance.

That merkel that the grappling thread got into a month ago is "a funk."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's the combination of overconfidence and more blind angles

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm just recalling what the "AIBA ditching headgear" articles were saying when they made the change. The research showed that fighters in headgear feel as if they can take bigger punches while having it on, and the peripheral vision is impaired a little, but enough to make a difference.

Admittedly I'm recalling from two years ago. I'm 100% sure on point #1, and like 60% on point #2.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Being Angela Magana is a worse fate than being punched by Cyborg imo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bubba Smith posted:

not at all, but UFC and Demetrious Johnson aren't going to do any better putting the Ray Brog fight on FOX in front of 1.34 million viewers again. TJ has headlined a few PPVs before and has been on some successful free TV cards, so I do think he is a bigger draw than Demetrious Johnson. TJ Dillashaw should honestly be the guy demanding more money to fight Mighty Mouse.

Ray Brog should fight Giblert.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What are the worst TUF coach records so far? Rampage went 1-7 vs Evans. Joanna went 1-7 vs Claudia, and Melendez went 1-7 vs Pettis. Any others?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DeimosRising posted:

I was gonna say one group might be "people who want to watch competitive fights" but as a non boxing person my understanding is Pacqiao was pretty washed by the time they fought so maybe that doesn't matter

"People who want to watch competitive fights" is the smallest fight-buying demographic for a big thing like this. That's the hard core. Name recognition, spectacle, anticipation, a story, and tribalist fans who make an event of the event are what sell big fights. Our big PPV sellers in fight sports always have more than one of those things - GSP has Quebec, Pacquiao has the Philippines, and Conor has Ireland. Floyd has spectacle and name recognition, as did Tyson.

The ultra-violence of something like a GGG or a Kovalev fight appeals to the hardcore fans, but that's not what motivates the 3.75 million people who didn't buy Kovalev-Ward but who did buy Floyd-Manny to tune in.

And the hardcore fans will buy anything, so it doesn't really pay for the promoters to appeal to them.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Courtney Casey tested positive for elevated testosterone in competition.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Skip My Posts posted:

Max did way better against Conor

And Max has 10 wins since then. Max today would beat Conor.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EmmyOk posted:

They've both fought a lot and improved a lot since then so that's a pretty big claim. There's a lot of stuff about how they match up with each other that won't change though for example their comparative sizes to the rest of the division etc.

Imo Max has improved more of the two.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rigel posted:

There is no way in heaven, earth, or hell that Khabib is a free agent

I dunno... that account is UFCInsider. They have inside information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

UFC June - Double XP!

• Locked thread