Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Soma Water is bad with money. linking to the comments because the guys site is down due to high load
https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/68lkhq/soma_water_filters_are_worthless_how_i_used_r_to/

tldr: guy does a blinded test and shows Soma Waters are doing poo poo all. Tursn out they're astroturfing the poo poo out of amazon reviews:
http://fakespot.com/product/soma-sustainable-pitcher-and-plant-based-water-filter

quote:

Our engine has profiled the reviewer patterns and has determined that there is high deception involved.

$30 for a water bottle, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Eat less avocados on toast and don't buy four coffees a day says a super wealthy fucker who got 34k from his grandparents to start a gym 20 years ago:

quote:

He started out by taking over a lease on a suburban gym as a 19-year-old, using $34,000 given to him by his grandfather. He sold the business a year later to a competitor and went into property development, riding the boom in Melbourne and Brisbane.

“When I was buying my first home, I wasn’t buying smashed avocado for 19 bucks and four coffees at $4 each,” he told 60 Minutes in a segment exploring Australia’s housing affordability crisis.
http://www.news.com.au/finance/work...3982ac0a73df3c9

It's kinda interesting to see someone around my age give similar terrible advice to people a lot older than us. For those that don't know, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne went through an awesome housing boom, that as far as I know hasn't stopped. If you got in at the start, you get a massive boost up. Of course going from humble beginnings to being worth half a billion takes work and dedication but blaming eating out as the sole reason you haven;t bought a home is delusional.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 16, 2017

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Zo posted:

uhh nowhere did he say or imply that eating out is the sole reason of anything, did you even read the article?

and he's completely right that lots of people are bad with money blowing it on stupid poo poo, hence why we have this thread
Yeah me too, I never said it was the sole reason he gave. He may be right that a lot of people blow their money on stupid poo poo, but he's is still giving terrible advice. He's also generalising to the max. The number of people you think are dumb and blowing money away, there's probably an equal amount which are good with money and yet can't afford housing or have trouble.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

A guy I work with had a seizure at work, due to some medical condition that I cant remember. I only live about a block away from him so I've been giving him rides to and from work and it's an entire commute filled with BWM stories but this has been my favorite so far:

About 5 minutes into a drive the other day he lets out an exasperated sigh and says "Well I couldn't get those concert tickets I wanted last week, I ended up having to buy another ferret".
This makes no loving sense, why is "having to buy" in that sentence. It is like "I can't get what I want, so I will get something else that I don't need but want to meet my addition".

edit: just read this part:

BaseballPCHiker posted:

According to him the reason he "HAD TO" buy another ferret is that his first ferret didnt properly bond to him or something. And that he thought since they were social creatures, the current ferret was just stressed being a loner and that if he got another one both ferrets would be in better moods and then they would both bond completely to him. That was his reasoning at least. Like I said the guy was such a swirling vortex of BWM that sometimes I had trouble keeping it all straight.

He also would eat out for lunch every single day. Not somewhere cheap and lovely like McDonalds either. He'd always go to some food trucks that were parked on our street and drop like $10-15. Then he'd go out to eat or order delivery every single night for dinner. I asked him about cooking and he just threw his hands up and said it was impossible for him to do because he didnt have the money for the equipment.
Ok that's odd logic but whatever.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 18, 2017

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
jesus gently caress imagine that fucker on a plane going off non stop while you're trying to sleep.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Some people on reddit are saying the university (UMD) does not have valedictorian status.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UMD/comments/6cj20e/valedictorian_gio_is_a_fraud_there_are_no/
https://www.reddit.com/r/UMD/comments/6cis39/the_valedictorian_who_dropped_out_2_weeks_before/

https://imgur.com/EihJUBv

one guy on reddit:

quote:

This kid is all bullshit, trying to turn his excuse as to why he failed out of school into a publicity stunt. I had several classes with him and believe me, he did not pass because he was smart or taught everything to himself.
He passed because he freeloaded off of others who gave a poo poo. Hate group projects, man.

This guy sums it up nicely:

quote:

... this is one of the biggest pieces of self aggrandizing schlock written by someone who was drunk and reading too many self help and inspirational poster websites.

Whether it's real or fake, it's one big hype for sure.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Scudworth posted:

The good people of the city have taken pity on them - https://www.gofundme.com/help-this-brave-gentrifier-family
preeetty sure that's satire.

quote:

If successful, I will personally have my chauffeur drive me to their Parkdale home and turn the money over in the form of a giant novelty cheque.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I don't think anybody says "the good people of" unironically anymore. Pretty sure Scudworth's on the trolley
So many levels of satire it is confusing me. Yes, I see it now. Thanks for pointing it out.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
This is from, ~10 pages ago, but can you seriously purchase a filter on snapchat so every single picture has an overlay on it in a specific location?

Does this mean that I can buy a geofilter for a business I hate so everytime someone takes a picture in the vicinity it shows up?!?

Oh
my
god

I am about to go bad with money very very soon.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Enfys posted:

A lot of the social ideas we have about gift giving are created or at least heavily influenced by consumer driven industries who profit off convincing people at regular intervals that they are obligated to buy stuff for people for social acceptability.

Gift giving can be a wonderful way to express care for someone or for other social interaction, but a lot of "holiday gift expectations" are set by industries that profit off them, so there is merit in thinking about how much of the gifts we give others are just wasted money. Everyone is familiar with getting gifts they don't really like but now feel obligated to keep, or feeling obligated to buy something for someone because it's a specific day and not really knowing what to get so buying whatever.
Jesus gently caress, gifts. There's a BWM. A slight derail but here goes:

A friend from work was leaving and moving to a different cities. As customary, all of her friends organised a card and a gift. We knew she needed the money, we know she didn't need more crap to have to relocate THREE THOUSAND KILOMETRES as the crow flies. But the bosses weren't happy when we shared our idea of giving her cash and a card, they were fairy insistent that it wouldn't be proper to give her cash but a gift. gently caress. What to do.

We ended up giving her a $30 wallet that looked a bit expensive and an empty prepaid visa card with cash hidden in the wallet.

She used the money to buy a new car.

annnd... some content:

quote:

Hello! I am 23 y/o male and I recently started a life insurance policy. I'm paying about $100 a month for this. I felt pressured by the sales guy to do this, and he did a pretty good job of talking me into it, but is this something I really need? I'm a healthy guy with no pressing medical conditions.
Also, how easy is it to terminate a life insurance plan?
Let me know if I need more info in this description!

quote:

Do you have dependents? No? You do not need life insurance.

quote:

I didn't think about it like that... what about the money I've already put into it?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Moving to Perth, was she?
Yeah something along those lines, but Australia.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Crikey. The office whip-round for people leaving at my workplaces would result in enough for a nice dinner, not a new car. Where do you work, Goldman Sachs?
Haha, sorry I should have written "using the money towards a car". It was ~$250 all up.

Doc Hawkins posted:

IIRC Blue Story was also an accountant.

"Please help my baby is dying."

Spend less on Star Wars toys.

"No."
Blue Story also thought she and her extremely neglectful partner had superior genes, thus it was vitally important for her to breed with him because the combination was awesome for the gene pool.

That was the point when I realised she was extremely delusional and just wanted attention. I miss BS :(

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 11, 2017

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The part that jumps out at me is this guy's 60-something contractor FiL building a house by himself on the weekends, while presumably working full-time as a contractor. Like, I'm not sure if that's even physically possible.

OP says this about his FIL:

quote:

He also doesn't really work at all, he is on social security and does work when he wants extra income.

You're probably right about the way in over my head. My father in law has been general contractor for over 40 years. He has a small group (mostly family) who will do the work for us at no charge (they have already volunteered their time. I don't know about the heavy equipment, that's his area of expertise, but he has given us estimates for the house built from land to move in ready.

Also someone asked about this student loans:

quote:

Started with $40,000 last year, down to $20,000 now.
This guy is leeching off his in-laws so hard it's GWM. My brother did something similar, free food, free rent, free everything all with a kid and wife.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Is it humblebrag if I talk about my brother/family? Please dont probate me :(

Sic Semper Goon posted:

How'd he score that?
Middle eastern family. I was the only child to leave home without first marrying, which is a big deal considering I wasn't allowed to leave home without first getting married. At the time he was didn't have steady job and they were trying to save money for... something. Not sure what considering loans are a big no (absolutely haram.jpg).

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I know profit-and-loss-sharing arrangements exist, are there similar things for large purchases like houses or as demi-investment vehicles? I'm not super familiar with Islamic financial tradition beyond having sat through a single seminar that mentioned the existence of workarounds one time a few years back.

There are a few companies that cater specifically to religious people in the islamic community. How these loans work and still stay "halal" is a mystery to me. From what I remember/understood, it is in the fine print. Religiously, the issue is usury (super high interest rates) and associated risk but not the loan itself. So what these companies do is something like write an agreement where you are paying rent (interest) + loan repayment to the "interest free" loan. Or something very similar along those lines: you aren't paying interest, you are paying us management fees or rent or etc etc.

There is one company I know of called MCCA that my parents used. I was reading their product sheets and was very confused to see terms such as "variable rate" and "fixed rate" which classic interest loan terms. At the time, my parents variable rate was 12% (insane!). The other big banks were around 8%. My father was livid when the reserve bank would drop interest rates but MCCA wouldn't budge from 12%. So he changed banks, got a normal mortgage and paid the house off (with our help, another story) off in about 10 years instead of never.

My father is generally BWM and BWReligion but this one time he was GWM.

P.S For a more recent comparison: ~MCCA 4.7% other banks: ~3.7%. It's even funnier when you read into it and they utilise loans from unknown sources, acting as an intermediary.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 20, 2017

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

pig slut lisa posted:

e: I would love to see some sort of breakdown on how many racehorse owners are net positive vs net negative over the course of their hobby. I'm sure the negatives outweigh the positives, but by how much?
IMO the whole system is probably in the positives but probably because of a few individuals that are whoring out their animals for breeding. It's similar to MLMs I guess, a few are making a killing while the rest look up and pray they can get lucky. But there are some numbers from Australia:

https://cuffelinks.com.au/economic-reality-breeding-owning-racehorses/

quote:

In 2013/14, of the 30,000 race starters:

4,200 did not earn any prize money
15,000 earned $1,000 to $10,000
10,200 earned $10,000 to $100,000
700 earned $100,000 to $500,000
50 earned greater than $500,000.

The whole article is fascinating and goes into further detail about post-racing profits of horses (breeding). Steady money seems to be in breeding, especially studs:

quote:

Once the stallion’s progeny start racing, fees will quickly skew materially as results start to flow, to upwards of $100,000 or drift back to $10,000 to $20,000 as experience and new sexier entrants emerge. With 150 to 220 matings possible in a domestic season and a possible northern hemisphere season as well, a successful stallion’s career can extend until they are over 20 years old, and be highly profitable to the owners.
Holy poo poo.

Source of all data is from here: http://www.racingaustralia.horse/Aboutus/factBook.aspx

I can't believe the breeding of animals for the sole purpose of beating them repeated for 2 minute stretches once in a while for the enjoyment of others is so insane and expensive. I don't mean that sarcastically, all of this to ride them senseless. insanity.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
It bounced right back.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/ethereum-price-flash-crash-2017-6?r=US&IR=T

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

therobit posted:

Why on earth would you ever trust a leasing agent?
This.... WTF!

I thought you call up, ask to cancel or move to a new property. The other tenant calls up and says I am moving into such and such place. They take care of the transfer and nobody has to go without electricity.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

quote:

This doesn't even get into the insanity of the 9-hour roundtrip commute for a $12/hr job, which is some AAA++++++++ WOULD READ AGAIN level BWM all by itself.

I assumed this was 4.5h return. No, no. This is 4.5h ONE WAY. Holy poo poo

quote:

It was 4.5 each way...and there are no year round jobs around which you need to be able to rent, seasonal only. 4.5 hrs was to the closest 12$ /hr job. So yea, it was pretty dismal.
How is this possible though? Maybe his job gave him accommodation for the work he was doing and he drove back on the weekend...

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

KingSlime posted:

The thing about staying "neutral" or playing peacekeeper is that it isn't often done in consideration of the involved parties and their well-being. It's just to avoid or minimize discomfort on the part of the person who needs to weight the situation and make a decision based on this.

It's kind of ironic because it's a pretty selfish move that people can play off as being noble or virtuous because "I don't want conflict."
What screams out at me is the OP clearly favored one parent over the other. The true neutral peacekeeper would have requested both parties not bring their new partners to their wedding or if both are ok with it, both bring their new partners to the wedding. It's pretty clear he didn't give a gently caress about his mom because she made it clear how uncomfortable she is with the situation. I love the crap he spews: "very hard for my family to deal with" this is what I would say if my father died because he's a dick.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Basically. You pay something like 10% of your income once you make over a lower-middle-class amount of money. The loan balance does accrue interest but it's pretty modest, I think just covers inflation pretty much.

You've got a couple things wrong. The highest repayment percentage is 8% for people earning >$101,900 . You can find the table here:
http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/payingbackmyloan/loan-repayment/pages/loan-repayment

Lower middle class is... about 60k in Australia. Repayment percentage would be 4% for income over 54k.

There is no interest, it's indexed to CPI.

It's a great system IMO. only complaint is it doesn't factor in household income into the equation.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Devian666 posted:

There's a lot of people getting sick of their jobs and I've found those earning that money tend to get sick of their work pretty drat quickly. Most of the engineers I know are wanting to retire once they've hit their 50's. Yet no one has retired, they just can't afford to. The real BWM, with respect to Harvard woman, is not saving a high percentage of a good professional income.

Like in Australia 23% of people do not believe they will retire before 70. Of course there's probably another 23% who don't realise they'll need to.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/workplace-relations/too-poor-to-retire-more-australians-than-ever-will-work-past-70-20160408-go1ubf.html
I think I fall within that 23%, even though I'm ~30. The retirement age will continue to go up and up, by the time I am 70, it will probably be 80.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Factor Mystic posted:

Does this count
Owner of a glue factory or a dog food factory. lol

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Either this is a troll or the guy is insanely dense.

https://www.reddit.com/user/workdiscrimination
OP is an idiot, she has posted this:

quote:

No, it's correct. I was scared and unsure about whether I had any right to be upset about the way the company handled my employment. I'm sorry to have been deceptive. I know the story would be biased because I honestly can't imagine the reason she decided to terminate me constructively.
She assured me in our meeting that it was fine, that I was a great worker with great energy, and that the company was willing to be flexible - even if it meant only taking one shift every fortnight. She reiterated this in her email, but when I responded to say I wanted to work 2-3 days a week, she completely ignored me. She didn't respond to my text, my emails, didn't pick up my calls or attempt to call back.
Then a month and a half after this, she broke her silence to uninvite me from the ball. My coworker told me there was plenty of room, so the excuse the manager gave me was bullshit. None of the other coworkers I worked with realised what was happening, and they too couldn't see why because I was a good coworker to them.
I emailed HR today as a last chance type of thing, but it seems as though they've chosen to ignore me. Maybe they're hoping I'll go away and leave them alone.
So yes, the OP is posting as if they are the manager when in reality they are the employee. Some choice remarks:

quote:

My legal advice is 1: go dance in front of the 86 tram, you absolute prick. You're lucky you're using a throwaway.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Tomfoolery posted:

Some self-help guru called Loy Machado had a super weird response to the softball Quora question of, "What made you smile today?"
https://www.quora.com/What-made-you-smile-today/answer/Loy-Machedo?share=a1bbfa8c&srid=pBib

His "super simple wifey" whom he "accidentally found" on a Thai marriage website lived her entire life on a farm, is half his age, and super naive (meanwhile, he's some sort of self-help scammer). She won a "Very Rare Original Chanel French Designer Ladies Bag" and asked him for $3 for shipping it from "France". He tried to tell her that it was fake, but she got sad and so he gave her the $3. When it arrived she showed him the "Chanel" tag that means it's real.

If you like, you can hire him as a self help trainer. Here's his quora profile:
https://www.quora.com/profile/Loy-Machedo

He's SUPER FAMOUS:

You can pay him $19 for "email solutions" to your problems - total of 1,000 words. Or pay $25k for the "Legacy Package" for personal branding:

Or just make a donation of $50 for "someone who cannot afford my services".

What the gently caress is going on at his website:
http://www.whoisloymachedo.com/#accomplishment

quote:

How Expensive I Am In Comparison To My Competition?: 99 %
How Much Discount I Offer If You Are Poor, Suffering Or Unemployed?: 0 %
How Happy Am I With My Sex Life?: 49 %
I will undercut the competitor. I do not give a poo poo about poor people. I am ambivalent about my sex life. :psyduck:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
To be fair on the guy:

quote:

Sylvia was rather emotional and became obsessed with the relationship, tracking me down, even causing various scenes with my parents and friends.
If you trust what he is saying, she's bonkers and may have tracked him down just to fire him. hahaha

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Noctone posted:

A) What kind of beep-boop :spergin: poo poo is this?
B) Yeah I totally trust the guy who ghosted his SO of three years (and domestic partner of two years) and ran away to a foreign country.
Yes, that's why I said IF.

GamingHyena posted:

According to him they lived together for two years (dated for 3), he didn't tell her he even had a job opportunity in another country. I think calling her bonkers because she tried to find out what happened to her missing boyfriend is a bit much.

"Huh, my live in boyfriend of two years just disappeared one day with no warning. Don't want to be a bitch and find out if he's dead or not so I won't ask any of his friends/family what happened to him ."
-A normal girlfriend, apparently

Papa John Misty posted:

To be fair to her, her live-in boyfriend of 3 years disappeared while she was out of town so maybe freaking out and trying to find him is reasonable
Traveling to another country to work at the same institute as your ex is bonkers. Her trying to get closure from contacting his friends and family isn't bonkers.

Of course this could all be coincidence, he could be exaggerating her reaction/contact attempts.

FYI because I think you've misunderstood what I'm saying: I'm laughing at him and how the world conspired to pay him back for being an rear end in a top hat but also suggesting that maybe she tracked him down and took the job just to get back at him. Who knows?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I make 225k a year and have 500k in liquid assests, yet I seek the advice of random internet people after I sign the lovely deal. This guy is great. Also is there any reason to not instantly pay off both the car and the house? I'm sure the car loan is better paid off sooner rather than later.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Great good job the tag is now POLITICS.

Krispy Kareem posted:

It’s a really good article. All the old trucks had to be retired for environmental reasons and the shipping companies thought they could pass those costs onto their drivers.

And I guess they did, since many of them didn’t speak English and didn’t know they were being screwed. Any driver who did take his dispute to the labor board won their case. Like 100% of all decisions have broken for the drivers. I’m going to guess there are no shortages of labor attorneys hanging out by the docks now.

This it?
https://www.usatoday.com/pages/interactives/news/rigged-forced-into-debt-worked-past-exhaustion-left-with-nothing/

quote:

He rarely went home to his family. At night, he crawled into the back of his cab and slept in the company parking lot.

For all of that, he took home as little as 67 cents a week.
:stare:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
it is literally the same tactics the truck operators use in LA. See the article I posted a few pages back. In that article, the boss of one of the companies that got sued (and lost) was quoted as being very upset that his efforts to "help" people had been repaid by lawsuits. How dare they sue!

I can't believe there are people out there that actually think like this :(

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
BWM Aussie version

quote:

Hopefully will be brief: my wife and I have recently moved from Melbourne to a regional city, ostensibly to be closer to family for help with raising our 2yo, and also for a change of pace. Of course, this has brought with it significant financial instability, as I'm the sole earner, and have gone from a full-time permanent role at $96k to casual work. Just been offered a contract for two months at $88k fte, with a vague suggestion of permanency after the contract ends.
We find ourselves in a tricky position, because my wife is also starting up a new business, which requires some small capital investment ($20k) that we don't have, and can't borrow. We currently have a mortgage on our previous family home, owing $370k on a property worth conservatively $1.4mil. Our repayments are $1900pm, and income from rental is $3600pm. However, we are finding that in spite of this our credit card is continuing to climb, and even with a strict budget, we know our outgoings outpace our earnings.
We are wondering if it's worthwhile selling, even though we know that our property is in a desirable area and will (assuming the bottom doesn't fall out of the market) continue to appreciate. Or, should we just be treading water, hoping that our financial situation changes with me either being made permanent in this new job, or my wife's business takes off.
And if we were to sell, and we're left with a large amount of cash, should we be putting it right back into property, or is there something else that we should consider? Thanks in advance to anyone who makes the time to read!
https://www.reddit.com/r/AusFinance/comments/6y5z5g/were_36m_34f_wealthy_on_paper_but_cant_afford_to/

it's not the worst BWM out there but it is special. They're essentially millionaires, with a rental property that actually makes them money. But they both have no stable jobs and the wife wants to start a business. He's unsure what to do.....

"Get stable employment".

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Volmarias posted:

A friend of mine, recently separated, told me that his ex's family all go to a tax preparer who gets them an absolute ton back in rebates. He does this by dramatically increasing their withholding. They love the guy for it and don't understand why my friend thinks that it's dumb, because LOOK AT ALL THE MONEY THEY'RE GETTING FROM THE GOVERNMENT!

It's like the people who hear "$1000 Cash Back" in an ad and think "why, they're practically paying ME for the car!"
hahaha wat.

Your friend is better without their partner.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Hey Hey, it's our scammer blogger with survived brain cancer:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-28/disgraced-wellness-blogger-belle-gibson-fined/8995500

quote:

Fake wellness blogger Belle Gibson has been ordered to pay a fine of $410,000 after being found guilty of misleading and deceptive conduct earlier this year.

The fine includes:

$90,000 for failing to donate proceeds from the sale of The Whole Pantry app, as publicly advertised
$50,000 for failing to donate proceeds from the launch of The Whole Pantry app
$30,000 for failing to donate proceeds from a 2014 Mothers Day event
$90,000 for failing to donate other company profits
$150,000 for failing to donate 100 per cent of one week's app sales to the family of Joshua Schwarz, a boy who had an inoperable brain tumour
What a scumbag. Guess it's BWM being a lying sack of poo poo and using a dying kid for profit.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Jesus christ, this thread hates anything equine. I love it.

In regards to the TGSR thread, I agree it's not relevant to this thread at all but if not I would have never seen it. Attempting to help another person out of a rut is not bad with money.

I remember E/N had a guy who was homeless and at breaking point. Goons came together and supported him (her?), with advice, money, emotional support. He got a job at a museum in the end. It was the best $75 I've ever given even if the story was bullshit.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
The reason large companies have the transport rule of taking separate flights is because executives fly a lot, while the chance of an airplane crashing is very low, the cumulative risk can be relatively high.

But if you're flying twice, the risks are super low. I wonder if the wife is equally crazy about driving together? Considering the chance of dying in a car crash is 10x more likely. Sounds like she's having separation anxiety and her friend is an idiot.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

quote:

By early 2014, the author, seen here behind the bar, was running a successful restaurant, but he’d had to sell his house to keep the business afloat.

Then one morning, after talking briefly to my lawyer, I learned the worst news of all: my incorporation could not protect me from Revenue Canada.

I lost my house at the worst time in Toronto—real estate prices took a maddening uptick, leaving me completely priced out of my own neighbourhood.
gently caress. BWM to the max. But this bit I don't really understand:

quote:

So I brought in a guy from the neighbourhood named Helder who had tons of restaurant experience and had pinch-hit in our kitchen a couple of times. We decided that he would run the place, draw a paycheque and begin the process of buying into the business, which would free me up to get a day job and start catching up on my debts. But I was so far behind on my rent that Jameson ultimately arranged for the restaurant chattels and licence to be taken over piecemeal by Helder’s corporation in a sort of amicable exchange. Any other landlord would have simply locked me out. This arrangement would allow the restaurant to stay open, the name to live on and the staff to be paid. With the final paperwork complete, Helder was no longer my partner, but the sole proprietor of the restaurant that I built.
It honestly reads like he got swindled.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
The guy is BWM even in his early days

quote:

In 2011, I applied to operate a booth at the Toronto Underground Food Market, a short-lived festival, known as TUM, where home cooks could sell their culinary creations to the public. I served mini-panko-crusted codfish cakes with green pea pesto, gourmet pork belly sandwiches, and wild mushroom and black pudding hash. I slogged through each step of thrice-cooked English chips, my fingers cramping so severely from peeling 100 pounds of potatoes that I almost called 911. In the end, I fed 400 people, and they liked my food. Several local bloggers wrote about my dishes. It was an adrenalin rush like no other. I lost money, but I didn’t care. My dream was gnawing at my insides.
How the gently caress do you feed 400 people and NOT make a profit at a food market?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Zo posted:

looking back im not sure what the guy actually did. he seems contagious to doing any actual work, and just hired people to do everything, like dropping thousands on a lawyer for a simple incorporation. he had a great chance to get hands on restauranteur experience working at his friend's place but treated it as a formality and did the bare minimum of hours. instead of real work he focused on DREAMS and uh drinking a lot i guess??

it's hard not to root for somebody like that to fail.
Here you go:
https://ca.linkedin.com/in/robert-maxwell-8b166712

Visit in chrome incognito mode if the annoying as hell linkedin lightbox comes up. He is a marketing analyst by the sounds of it. His description for the restaurant is kinda interesting:

quote:

Proprietor, operator, designer, menu developer and sometimes cook at the Beech Tree Restaurant and Bar in Toronto Ontario: a highly acclaimed neighborhood restaurant and bar. Including - all social media oversight, copy writing, marketing and promotions, maintaining and authoring the company promotional blog, food photography and styling, web site design and maintenance. As well as, book keeping, costumer relations, human resources and building maintenance.

The site has a blog:
https://baronmag.ca/2014/12/office-tale-of-robert-maxwell-ownerproprietor-of-the-beech-tree-restaurant-and-bar/

quote:

Do you have a way to organize your day to maximize your work ?
I am not the most organized person...admittedly. I suffer a sort of bureaucratic bohemianism when it comes to the operational side of things. I definitely lean on my floor manager and book keeper to sort out the minutiae of day-to-day paperwork. This frees me up so that I can focus on the creative side of things: social media, marketing, menu development, the latest cooking techniques and sourcing the best local and seasonal ingredients.
haha, hires a book keeper, says he did book keeping.

quote:

What is the best advice anyone has given you ?
Before I considered leaving my job as a broadcast analyst to become a restauranteur, a very close colleague of mine said, "if you are passionate enough about something, you will find a way to make money doing it." It was all I needed to hear; I made a complete and abrupt change in my career at the age of forty. And a very risky one to boot.
:downsbravo:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
This guy over at reddit/PF is recommending people join the army for "re-setting your life financially and professionally."

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7cwi2s/i_would_strongly_recommend_the_military_for/

quote:

You have little say where you go. This can be incredibly hard on families.
You aren't making fantastic money, and you can still easily fall prey to financial difficulties
There is a real risk you could be injured/maimed/killed.

Holy hell. I know this is a symptom of a hosed up situation USA has it's citiziens in, but still. I can't believe someone is recommending joining the army to reset your life.

Such a sad state of fairs.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Tales of Cheap fucks thread on GBS is still paying dividends if anyones interested
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817963
[quote]

Panfilo posted:

-Father-in-law insists on doing a roof repair on his home instead of hiring someone.
-The process takes much longer because he decides to do it all himself and he's not a professional roofer.
-At one point, falls off roof, shattering his arm rendering him unable to work in his very physically intensive job. Might be unable to return to work due to extensive damage to his shoulder.
-My wife points out to him that the lost income from his injury far exceeded the cost of just hiring people to do the repairs.
-Six months after being back to work, his nephew tells him he's having the same problem with his own roof, any chance FiL could help?
-Father-in-law falls off nephew's roof, fucks up the same goddamn arm, can't work for six months :negative:
What a lovely combo: BWM and BWL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
403 - Forbidden fruit :(

Looks to be alternative link
http://thehillnews.net/news/From-Trust-Fund-Kid-to-Average-Joe:-What-Blowing-a-$250K-Inheritance-Taught-Me

quote:

With my back up against the wall, I reminded him of the $10,000 I'd given him a few years earlier. He owed me. This line of reasoning was successful in prompting him to hand over the cash — but quickly marred whatever relationship we had left. Nasty words were exchanged, which led to several years of not speaking to one another.
At least the guy seems to be self-aware of his dumb actions.

quote:

Despite this setback, I graduated college in 2003 and began working as a financial aid adviser for an online college.
WHY DO PEOPLE, WHO ARE OBJECTIVELY BAD WITH MONEY, BECOME FINANCIAL ADVISORS???

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 15, 2017