Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
OP on Reddit makes $28k a year for a family of three (soon to be four), has a $140 car payment, has student loan debt but is currently on a $0 monthly income based payment, and is planning to build a $200k house. His father in law will build the house and his mother in law has cosigned for a mortgage so they can totally afford it!

Sadly he deleted the post but I found it cached.

quote:

I'm fresh out of college, making $28,000 per year with a wife, a child, and a second child on the way. We currently live with my mother-in-law who helps us with childcare expenses. However, the section of the house we live in is too small for another child, so we are building a house.

We were able to buy property across the street from my mother in law's and it is paid off. My Father in law is a general contractor who has built more homes than I can count. He has offered to build a home for us and not charge labor (according to him, about 50%) the cost of a house.

I'm trying to get an idea about what size mortgage would be manageable for us. Currently we don't really have credit card debt ($200 that is being paid off by the time the house it build), and I have a car payment of $140 per month. I have student loans, but am currently on Income based Repayment for $0 due per month right now. Once the kids are in school my wife will go back to work and I will hopefully have moved into a better paying position at a new company by then.

My problem is this: Right now, our financial situation is not great, but within the next 5 years it should get quite a bit better. However, we can only benefit from the free labor offered to us if we build a house now (her father is probably retiring in the next 2 years). So what can we afford? I've struggled with doing the math knowing that the next fews years will be tight, but worth it in the long run.

One last note, We have about $12,000 in savings we were going to use for a down payment, but the mortgage officer we spoke with the other day said we could use her dad's labor as a "gift of equity". Meaning that if he builds a $200,000 house, our mortgage is roughly $100,000 since labor is not being charge, thus we have essentially made a $100,000 down payment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6c4xcp/building_a_house_on_28000_per_year/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Volmarias posted:

... and the service to go along with it too.

The phone part of it is $120/yr which sounds pretty reasonable?

No I missed that part - it's $70/month for service, $30/month for the lease, and $15/month for the Jump Plan and AppleCare

So it's actually $1380/year for the phone with service, and the contract's for 2 years to pay off the lease

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

EugeneJ posted:

No I missed that part - it's $70/month for service, $30/month for the lease, and $15/month for the Jump Plan and AppleCare

So it's actually $1380/year for the phone with service, and the contract's for 2 years to pay off the lease

The $70 sounds like a red herring. That's what I pay for my t-mobile plan for unlimited calling + unlimited data, and I'm not leasing a phone. (Yes, I'm aware that I'm paying T-mobile $70/mo, yes I'm aware of how dumb an idea this is)

$30/mo * 24 is $720, which is actually in line with the cost for a high end smart phone. The extra bit to allow upgrading to better phones really seems like a reasonable deal if you constantly need something new.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hoodwinker posted:

This sounds like you're betting against the actuaries. That's amazing.

You're actually betting with them. It's the equivalent of JG Wentworth buying an annuity for pennies on the dollar from someone, but you're doing that to their paid up whole life contract. The offer is usually a little more than the cash value, but way less than the death benefit.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Stopped by a mattress store today that was going out of business to see if we could pick up a good deal. While we were there the owner was showing me one of the luxery beds - just $52,000 (but now marked down 80% because he was going out of business)! Owner told me that when business was good he had been selling one of those at full price to techbros every 6 months. 0_o

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

Stopped by a mattress store today that was going out of business to see if we could pick up a good deal. While we were there the owner was showing me one of the luxery beds - just $52,000 (but now marked down 80% because he was going out of business)! Owner told me that when business was good he had been selling one of those at full price to techbros every 6 months. 0_o

How is this not a bog standard innerspring mattress with a thick layer of froufrou pillowy bullshit on top that may or may not hold out?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

OP on Reddit makes $28k a year for a family of three (soon to be four), has a $140 car payment, has student loan debt but is currently on a $0 monthly income based payment, and is planning to build a $200k house. His father in law will build the house and his mother in law has cosigned for a mortgage so they can totally afford it!

Sadly he deleted the post but I found it cached.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6c4xcp/building_a_house_on_28000_per_year/

The part that jumps out at me is this guy's 60-something contractor FiL building a house by himself on the weekends, while presumably working full-time as a contractor. Like, I'm not sure if that's even physically possible.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The part that jumps out at me is this guy's 60-something contractor FiL building a house by himself on the weekends, while presumably working full-time as a contractor. Like, I'm not sure if that's even physically possible.

OP says this about his FIL:

quote:

He also doesn't really work at all, he is on social security and does work when he wants extra income.

You're probably right about the way in over my head. My father in law has been general contractor for over 40 years. He has a small group (mostly family) who will do the work for us at no charge (they have already volunteered their time. I don't know about the heavy equipment, that's his area of expertise, but he has given us estimates for the house built from land to move in ready.

Also someone asked about this student loans:

quote:

Started with $40,000 last year, down to $20,000 now.
This guy is leeching off his in-laws so hard it's GWM. My brother did something similar, free food, free rent, free everything all with a kid and wife.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Suspicious Lump posted:

This guy is leeching off his in-laws so hard it's GWM. My brother did something similar, free food, free rent, free everything all with a kid and wife.

How'd he score that?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

NancyPants posted:

How is this not a bog standard innerspring mattress with a thick layer of froufrou pillowy bullshit on top that may or may not hold out?

quote:

In addition to Vicuña wool, this mattress features just about every premium comfort material in the Vispring arsenal, including Shetland wool; organic cotton; hand-opened long-strand Mooseburger horsetail; and hand-teased, Platinum Certified real Shetland wool blended with cashmere, alpaca, and silk. Each of these comfort materials is luxurious, all-natural, comfortable, and durable.

I don't know what Moosebuger horsetail is but I'm pretty sure it's Navajo for BWM.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

captkirk posted:

I don't know what Moosebuger horsetail is but I'm pretty sure it's Navajo for BWM.

Like I said, froufrou bullshit that may or may not hold out. All the other fibers are known for softness and loft but that's in garments.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

captkirk posted:

Moosebuger

great now I'm hungry again

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Solice Kirsk posted:

The life insurance part is called a viatical settlement. Basically you buy a chunk or all of the death benefit from a policy for less than the actual death benefit is worth and when they die you pocket the difference.
Yep. They're regulated by state insurance regulators.

It's a pretty gross market. "Hey, person with terminal illness and a 1 million dollar death benefit. How would you like to make us your beneficiary in exchange for, let's say, $100k?"

People with AIDS were a big target back in the day.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Seems like two intersecting themes in almost all these stories:

1. They found an "opportunity" (lot of land, new car, baby, master's, whatever) that they are convinced they just have to do, they are locked into because it's the only chance they will have to do that thing for 1,000 miles in any direction. Of course this is never actually true.

2. Family support- they're still in that childhood mode where they think they need gifts from family every month or whatever and that this is normal. Or dad just pays the car, not sure what it costs.

Any time those two converge it's just always a shitshow. Doesn't even seem to matter what the income level or credit worthiness of the person is, just run away from anyone talking about an "opportunity" while mom is paying the CC bill.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The terminally ill and at risk seniors keep the ball rolling.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Is it humblebrag if I talk about my brother/family? Please dont probate me :(

Sic Semper Goon posted:

How'd he score that?
Middle eastern family. I was the only child to leave home without first marrying, which is a big deal considering I wasn't allowed to leave home without first getting married. At the time he was didn't have steady job and they were trying to save money for... something. Not sure what considering loans are a big no (absolutely haram.jpg).

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

NancyPants posted:

Like I said, froufrou bullshit that may or may not hold out. All the other fibers are known for softness and loft but that's in garments.

I found it! It is actually 100% just tail hair from horses. I guess you have to do something with the body after the horse sees ants.

http://www.moosburger-kg.com/horsehair.html

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Repurposing your dumb money-sink animal into a $52,000 mattress to fleece the gullible rich is pretty GWM, I have to applaud that.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Horsehair is a pretty commonly utilized material for the super premium segment of mattresses. A Swedish company, Hastens, is widely considered to make the finest innerspring mattress purchasable on the market.

https://www.hastens.com/us/beds/vividus

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-02/hastens-vividus-mattress-review-price

this is a $150k mattress

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

gvibes posted:

It's a pretty gross market. "Hey, person with terminal illness and a 1 million dollar death benefit. How would you like to make us your beneficiary in exchange for, let's say, $100k?"

People with AIDS were a big target back in the day.

There was a really interesting This American Life episode about this: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/473/loopholes

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
Is taking out a loan for a bed GWM? Getting a better night sleep is proven to increase productivity, so I should be looking forward to a higher salary once I'm sleeping in this bed?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Horsehair is a pretty commonly utilized material for the super premium segment of mattresses. A Swedish company, Hastens, is widely considered to make the finest innerspring mattress purchasable on the market.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-02/hastens-vividus-mattress-review-price

this is a $150k mattress

I wonder how cheap those fancy weddings feel when they realize they only sprung 2/3 the price of a real mattress.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Good Parmesan posted:

Is taking out a loan for a bed GWM? Getting a better night sleep is proven to increase productivity, so I should be looking forward to a higher salary once I'm sleeping in this bed?

Mattress equity.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

this is a $150k mattress

There is/was a store in Toronto, and I checked out some of their mid-tier (~40K?) mattresses. They were quite comfortable, but I wouldn't say five-figures comfortable.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Motronic posted:

Mattress equinity.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Motronic posted:

Mattress equity.
They say you can't put a price on a good night's sleep but we are in fact securitizing it and there will be an ETF shortly.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

captkirk posted:

Moosebuger

Such a nice man. I'ma gonna give him the double-stitch anyway. Maybe she cost more, but she last forever! That'sa real good-with-money!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

The life insurance part is called a viatical settlement. Basically you buy a chunk or all of the death benefit from a policy for less than the actual death benefit is worth and when they die you pocket the difference.

I was actually referring to when you take these settlements, bundle them all into securities, and then sell them to other investors. :haw:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/06/business/06insurance.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1252508717-spzSimS+jh

Either way, it's disgusting.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Who cares what fabric your matress is made of since you cover it with sheets immediately anyway?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Sheets?! Who can afford sheets after making their $700 per month mattress payment?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

GWM and GWL is a hammock

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Suspicious Lump posted:

Not sure what considering loans are a big no (absolutely haram.jpg).
I know profit-and-loss-sharing arrangements exist, are there similar things for large purchases like houses or as demi-investment vehicles? I'm not super familiar with Islamic financial tradition beyond having sat through a single seminar that mentioned the existence of workarounds one time a few years back.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Single mom $70k in cc debt, $50k in student loans, $120k mortgage, <$40k income. Everything's on fire.

quote:

Hi all, this isn't a troll post. However, I post enough on this sub for some people to know this isn't my situation either. I recently had a long talk with a close friend about her financial situation, and it turned out that the poo poo has hit the fan and is now raining fecal matter everywhere.
The situation:
She lives in a house she still owes $120k on. Edit: she does have some equity, but I don't know how much - a very small amount compared to the total sum probably. The house did appreciate in value at least.
She somehow racked up roughly $70k of debt on various credit cards, much of it due to recent medical bills. Edit: changed "work" to "bills" as it gave people the wrong impression. I don't know why she paid for medical bills with a cc either.
She still has $50k in student loans for a degree that hasn't really paid off (graphic design)
She makes under $40k/year and income isn't exactly stable.
And she recently had a son with a deadbeat dad who's occasionally home but provides little to no support. And disappears for months on end.
Sooooo.... up until now she had been living on handouts from her parents (who are of the generous sort and decently loaded) but that seems to have dried up due to some recent drama (mostly over the issue of her son's father). It may be a temporary thing, but she quite literally needs the money to survive. Currently she's between paying minimums and defaulting. She had excellent credit.
I had no idea it was this bad. Whenever we hang out in our circle of friends, she's decently dressed and doesn't seem to have a problem paying for things. But then again, that's the problem isn't it?
I advised her to talk to a bankruptcy lawyer, but that'll still leave most of the student loans. Any additional advice I can relay to her?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I know profit-and-loss-sharing arrangements exist, are there similar things for large purchases like houses or as demi-investment vehicles? I'm not super familiar with Islamic financial tradition beyond having sat through a single seminar that mentioned the existence of workarounds one time a few years back.

A common way they set is up si that the bank buys the collateral, and tjen immediately issues a contract to re-sell over a certain time period to the customer for an increased price in a transaction that looks lile a mortgage in all but name.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

I've known more than a few people like this. Including, unfortunately, family. Problems in life "happen" to them, not because of lovely decisions they make.

I don't see where bankruptcy helps much at all, other than spread some of the cost among the general population. People who get themselves in binds like this really annoy the poo poo out of me.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Ixian posted:

I've known more than a few people like this. Including, unfortunately, family. Problems in life "happen" to them, not because of lovely decisions they make.

I don't see where bankruptcy helps much at all, other than spread some of the cost among the general population. People who get themselves in binds like this really annoy the poo poo out of me.

People who get sick and can't pay for it annoy the poo poo out of you?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

BarbarianElephant posted:

People who get sick and can't pay for it annoy the poo poo out of you?

70k in credit card bills, "most" of it due to medical bills, as claimed. There is a big flat screen TV in there somewhere I guarantee it. For the sake of argument though let's assume she got canceraids through no fault of her own and fell through the cracks in the lovely US healthcare system. Take the 70k in CC off the table.

Still leaves a trail of other bad decisions.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Slipping this in while Tiny Brontosaurus is still on probation. Nice move.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I mean..racking up that much student loans on a graphic design degree is pretty BWM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

GWM and GWL is a hammock

Bad With Spine if you sleep in one overnight, in my experience.