Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BSam
Nov 24, 2012

So the Matrix Siblings have made a tv show, and season 2 is about to launch on the netflick.

There are a whole bunch of characters but only eight that actually matter.

Will Gorski, a Chicago cop haunted by an unsolved murder

Riley, an Icelandic DJ with a troubled past that made her run away from her home to London

Capheus, a compassionate Matatu bus driver in Nairobi with a strong sense of justice, who is desperately trying to earn money to buy medicine for his mother dying of the AIDS virus

Sun, a Seoul businesswoman and burgeoning star in the underground kickboxing world, who becomes accused of embezzlement thanks to her brother

Lito, a famous Spaniard actor living in Mexico City who maintains in secret a same-sex relationship with a character named Hernando, out of fear of ruining his career

Kala, a Mumbai pharmacist who is also a believer of God that faces the unfortunate situation of having to marry someone she doesn't love

Wolfgang, a Berlin locksmith and safe-cracker, who has unresolved issues with his father and participates in organized crime

Nomi Marks, a San Francisco trans woman political blogger and hacker, who must have extensive brain surgery to save her life

these may not be up to date after the first season and christmas special (the christmas special was beautiful by the way) but gently caress it, watch the new season now and enjoy!

quote:

Deadpool posted:
Netflix Rules Update!

OK, here's what we're going to try as a test. Some people are not happy with the go-wild aspect of the Netflix threads so we're going to try a different approach. If you have general thoughts on the show that's fine. If you are doing specific reactions to episodes they will go into labeled spoiler tags with the episode you are on or have completed for the first 72 hours. If you haven't gotten to that episode then don't click on the spoiler. This is just a trial for Daredevil and if it doesn't work we'll just go back to the old way from now on. And now an example post:

So far the show is good. I enjoy this show so far through episode 10. It is a fine television program.

1x10
The thing that happens in this episode certainly happened. And how it tied back into what they were saying in episode 3 was definitely a cool thing. I think the villain that appeared in this episode and did the villainy thing was bad. He should be punched by the Daredevil and have to go to jail.

The 1x10 is just the episode you're up to. You can write all about episode four if you want, but if you let something slip that came out later and you forget and it maybe happened in episode six that's why you still put episode 10 and not episode 4. Get it? Hope it works. And if not sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Heck yes, I'm ready. I'll probably be done with it by tomorrow

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what are these guys, some kinda sensates?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Oh man

s2e02
That fake out where it turned out they played Matheson the exact same way, but without revealing their hand was so badass

e: loving christmas special counts as episode 1, woops. Looks like you guys made the same mistake as well. Should we go by how Netflix lists it or what?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 5, 2017

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

s2e01
it's just started, but i'm enjoying the poo poo out of this interview scene

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

S2E3
Holy poo poo there's another sensate in the Berlin crime scene

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 5, 2017

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
S2E2

Show is awesome so far. So happy to see Sun's free!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Still one of the most original and interesting Sci Fi seires ever made. Just got started on Episode 2 ( I guess it's episode 2 since they count the Christmas thing as Ep 01).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it took me a while but the Xmas special (which I only just watched, good poo poo) is now counted as s02e01 with the episodes that just released counting as s02e02-11.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Finished rewatching Christmas special, just started s2e2 and the Lito/Capheus interview sequence is amazing.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The only bad part of the Xmas special was where they casually sass evil government man instead of barely holding it together in pants making GBS threads fear.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
i saw a tity

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013
Finished it, was pretty good though holy poo poo did it need one more episode.

2x11Like they deal with the cluster finally meeting in person for the first time, capturing Whispers, and Jonah's betrayal and subsequent capture all in the last five minutes of the season it's insane.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

S2E7 I thought it was interesting in season 1 how they avoided writing Rajan as an overt rear end in a top hat just for being Wolfgang's romantic competition. But hoo boy he has a big heel turn this season.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
2x06: VOTE CAPHEUS

Man I love this show. It hasn't quite hit the highs as s1 yet but it's much more cohesive than the Christmas Special so far.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I passed out and don't know how far in i got. I'll give it another try tomorrow probably

BSam fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 6, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Ugh I am so worried that this will end on a cliff hanger.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oooooookay yeah that ending was vurry confusing.

I think more stuff technically "happened" in this season than in the first, but it also felt like there was more "padding" than the first season. There are way more scenes this time around that I think didn't quite need to happen, whereas I felt like every scene last season did have a purpose even if they sometimes messed with the pacing or whatever.

All things considered I'm going to have to end up rating this below season 1, though ultimately it's the same show that I still quite enjoy.

Sinistral posted:

Finished it, was pretty good though holy poo poo did it need one more episode.

2x11Like they deal with the cluster finally meeting in person for the first time, capturing Whispers, and Jonah's betrayal and subsequent capture all in the last five minutes of the season it's insane.
This, basically.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Just finished the season. My immediate impression right now is wow, the finale is weirdly paced. It starts extremely granular with the detailed 20-minute blow-by-blow of the Joon-Kyi sequence, then ends extremely condensed with the final 10-15 minutes containing like two episodes' worth of massive plot developments.

It would definitely have driven me nuts if they had cut it off at the obvious cliffhanger points, but the resolutions to those cliffhangers were crammed in too immediately, and it would probably have been worth trimming down some earlier material to make some breathing room. I actually had to re-watch the sequence to double-check who all had come to London (everyone plus Amanita, possibly Lito's pals too?), and whether they picked up Wolfgang in the process (nope).

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 6, 2017

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Man, as with last season, I'm really invested in every part of this show except the main story. Give me more of Capheus and that reporter, or Lito and his telenovela life, or Kala's star-crossed romance with Wolfgang! I really don't care about Doctor Sense8 or whatever his name is.

... That said, the end of 2.1 was really satisfying where they finally put a scare into him and Will is all WE'RE COMIN FOR YOU MOTHERFUCKER

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This show had to been absolute hell to edit and direct.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

Just finished the season. My immediate impression right now is wow, the finale is weirdly paced. It starts extremely granular with the detailed 20-minute blow-by-blow of the Joon-Kyi sequence, then ends extremely condensed with the final 10-15 minutes containing like two episodes' worth of massive plot developments.

It would definitely have driven me nuts if they had cut it off at the obvious cliffhanger points, but the resolutions to those cliffhangers were crammed in too immediately, and it would probably have been worth trimming down some earlier material to make some breathing room. I actually had to re-watch the sequence to double-check who all had come to London (everyone plus Amanita, possibly Lito's pals too?), and whether they picked up Wolfgang in the process (nope).

Yeah, it's not just that the last ten minutes of the final episode are weirdly paced and borderline incoherent. It's that nearly every other plot ends without any kind of resolution. Sun's brother escapes, Lito is about to be seduced (possibly literally) by the Hollywood gays, Capheus' speech is interrupted by a riot, Leela (Lila?) makes a play for Berlin, Rajan tells Kala to run away to Paris. It's like all the plots stop suddenly in the middle of their third act, completely unresolved. We never meet the Cannibal (unless that's Whispers?) and there's literally no resolution to anything at all. And we never got any resolution to that monk subplot.

It's very, very odd, like they were expecting an extra episode or two this season and didn't get it. Maybe the Christmas episode hosed up some sort of contractual thing?

That said, so so much cool stuff this season. The Sensate "google" montage that's actually an alternate version of the main credits, the Leela / Wolfgang fight, that amazing car chase. Lito doing some really bad am dram acting in that museum, the mixology montage, Nomi's sister's wedding, that bit where Kala reenacts her introductory monologue to Will but Will keeps interrupting, Dani's phonecall... it was pretty great, actually.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

BrianWilly posted:

I think more stuff technically "happened" in this season than in the first, but it also felt like there was more "padding" than the first season. There are way more scenes this time around that I think didn't quite need to happen, whereas I felt like every scene last season did have a purpose even if they sometimes messed with the pacing or whatever.
Yeah, I'm at episode 6 now, and I'd like it to be less art project and have more story motion. It's starting to irk me more than I'd like.

--edit:

Supercar Gautier posted:

...then ends extremely condensed with the final 10-15 minutes containing like two episodes' worth of massive plot developments.
Great, all that padding just to go ludicrous speed on the conclusion.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So I finished the entire Season 2 and I have to say I actually liked this one waaayyyy more than the first one.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I was expecting this show to go the way of Heroes after the Christmas special but the 2 episodes I watched today were really good! There's already been some really moving moments.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
I just finished season 2, i too enjoyed it more than the first one, because they really expanded upon this whole idea season 1 introduced. Like, retroactively, as cool as season 1 is, it kinda feels like "Homo Sensorium: A Survey Class". BUt yeah the pacing was weird in places tbh but there were a lot of fun moments, and that's what i'm all about the TV for. Thanks, TV. thanks Lana Wachowski.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
Thana Wachowski.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Whole show is kind of indictive of the nuclear family.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm on episode 8 and depressed Lito I think is my new favorite.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm on episode 8 and depressed Lito I think is my new favorite.

Depressed Lito was pretty much the best in season one too!

I just finished the season, and drat, I really love this show. Echoing some others, I care way less about the main plot than just watching the different characters interact and have their own life stories going on. At least we got a lot more movement on the main plot this time. Everyone is right that it seemed to need one more episode at the end. Having to wait a year (or more?) to see what happens with any of the characters or stories will be maddening.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What the hell was that for a conclusion?!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Episode 11 was basically Straczynski and Lana realising "gently caress, the Christmas special was two hours long, wasn't it?" and just cramming an episode's worth of plot into fifteen minutes.

That said, the Nomi stuff in Episode 9 is perfect. Absolutely perfect. "Get your hands off my daughter!" :3:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This is the best queer show since like Queer as Folk or The L Word.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif

Hollismason posted:

This is the best queer show since like Queer as Folk or The L Word.

I normally hate shows that focus on gay themes but I love this. Great season overall but the ending was a bit meh.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
It was a very good new season. I enjoyed all of the episodes, although yes the ending was abrupt and frustrating at times.

I kind of like that they went for a solid win for the cluster this time, as opposed to what happened in the first season finale, and hopefully if there's another season,
this will allow the show to focus easier to its strong parts which are the stories for the main characters, and how they help each other, and (surprisingly for me) the interaction with new sense8s from other clusters, who may or may not be lovely people.

I certainly want less of the "we are hunted by an organization for years and no one know the people in the high hierarchies and its more complicated than you think etc".

It's disappointing that they didn't resolve a few of their storylines, which they spent time building up, not satisfactorily anyway (mainly Kala's and Sun's stories, but Capheus story also stopped mid-way).

Also, what happened to Wolfgang in the end? Did they rescue him? It seems that he is not with everyone else... and the screenplay focuses to the kidnap of Whispers and not-Sayid.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Lito and Sun in the hotel. Depressed Lito is still the best.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BrianWilly posted:

I just watched the Christmas special before starting the new season proper and it felt like it was at least 1/3 feelgood padding (and orgy) montages.

Argue posted:

Man, as with last season, I'm really invested in every part of this show except the main story. Give me more of Capheus and that reporter, or Lito and his telenovela life, or Kala's star-crossed romance with Wolfgang! I really don't care about Doctor Sense8 or whatever his name is.

... That said, the end of 2.1 was really satisfying where they finally put a scare into him and Will is all WE'RE COMIN FOR YOU MOTHERFUCKER
I can't remember what the main plot is even supposed to be right now. This grey-bearded dude wants to catch 'em all I guess?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

I can't remember what the main plot is even supposed to be right now. This grey-bearded dude wants to catch 'em all I guess?

Other than what's going on in the individual character subplots, and the basic Sensate mechanics (any non-connected sensate creates a permanent unique mental connection through eye contact) that's all you really need to know. It's not a complicated show.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I forgive all the rushing at the end simply for the scene where Will beats the poo poo out of Whispers and Jonah opens his door to find an angry Sun on the other side.

I can't get over what an overall joyous show this is. The Pride scene alone had me grinning like an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Joong-Ki's "My sister is a Terminator?" in that perfectly stunned tone of voice is the quote of the season for me.

• Locked thread