Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

This is the one in the OP (though you need to click through to it from the google doc)

https://drunkardshade.com/2017/05/27/tekken-7-top-15-moves-for-all-characters/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

This helped we with some of the back dash cancelling fundamentals, especially with the earlier parts of the tutorial.

http://shoryuken.com/2017/02/17/this-is-the-year-you-will-learn-how-to-perform-tekkens-korean-backdash/

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Don't get an xbox 360 controller, the dpad is one of the worst for playing fighting games. Smug has somehow adapted to using it but I don't think it's worth the hassle. The XBone controller has a much better dpad, but for that price the hori FC is a better way to go.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Just played some matches on opposite coasts, at 3 bars, and it felt pretty decent. The load times are annoying though. Slightly worse than sfv because rematch still takes forever. Since it's day 0 ill give them the benefit of the doubt on improving soon.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

boxcarhobo posted:

before, you had to break left hand throws (1+3) with 1 and right hand throws (2+4) with 2. Now you can break them with 1 OR 2, both work. However, if its a command throw, you have to guess the correct hand still.

I thought with command throws the break needs to be 1+2? Or am I wrong. Most command throws seem not to come from either side but with both hands at once.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Is there a way to make the dummy take one hit and then guard for the rest of the string, like in other training modes?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

I think they want the dummy to take the first hit and then go into block mode, so you can test to see if combo strings are actually combos and work on timing or whatever.

I'd like to know this too if it's not obvious, didn't get much time to gently caress around in the lab. Probably gonna main Shaheen or pick Bryan up again since my mains (Lei, Dr. B) aren't in the game lol

I figured it out, if you set CPU action 2 to something, it will do that action after the first hit or block. So action 1 stand, action 2 guard all is what I was looking for. It seems like a pretty good training mode.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Otakufag posted:

If you get this on PC I advice deactivating chromatic aberration and film grain filters, unless you like your games to look blurry and dirty. Users/*user*/AppData/Local/TekkenGame/Saved/Config/WindowsNoEditor/ and open up ‘Scalability.ini’. In the blank file paste:
[PostProcessQuality@2]
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization=0

[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization=0

save and set file to read only.

I highly recommend doing this, some stages really crank up the CA and it makes things look really low res in my opinion. If you want a preview of how turning it off looks you can look at the infinite azure stage and compare to others.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Luna Was Here posted:

since this is just editing a .ini file for graphics settings this shouldn't cause any harm online, like getting people banned (does Namco even do this idk) will it

No you aren't changing any of the game code, it's just a finer control over graphics options that already exist.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

ROFL Octopus posted:

Story mode is good because I can fire off like 50 EWeGFs in a row without being some kind of transcendent execution god.

What is the deal with EWGF? Is there a one frame window to getting it or anything like that?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

the only problem with tournaments is you can't set the matches to best of 3, its stuck on best of 1

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

PC, graphics are better and you have a better controller.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Are all the soundtracks from previous Tekkens available to substitute in or able to be put into a custom playlist on the PC version or is that a PS only feature?

ps4 only

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Your Computer posted:

Too bad there's no shortcut to doing the shoryuken motion. As someone who has never played a Street Fighter, it just seems unreasonably awkward to move my thumb in that pattern. It's like a quarter-circle motion with a typo. It's a shame too because she's one of the characters I wanted to try out, and I can't even perform half of her moves in training mode :sigh:

SRK seems tough at first, but will become natural as you practice. If you work to get the motion precisely, I guarantee you will improve and then be proud that you can get the motion.

e: and you will also be able to own all your friends in street fighter games with a shoto

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 3, 2017

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Your Computer posted:

Maybe it's more difficult because I'm playing on a Wii U gamepad (I'm too cheap to buy another controller)? I reckon most people here are using a DS4 and the dpad is like twice the size of the Wii U one in addition to having separate buttons. I'm trying to find a way to make it more precise than "roll thumb over dpad and hope it inputs correctly" but other than holding the controller super weird and using multiple fingers I just can't do it.

I have both the wii u and ps4 controller and the dpads are basically the same. The key to this is that you tap forward and "let it go to neutral" before the d/f,f , which doesn't feel like much, but its important. Turn the inputs on in training to see what your inputs register as.

Earlier I was trying heihachi on pad and got like 80% EWGF so im confident you can do this

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Your Computer posted:

:confused: okay so maybe I exaggerated a little

I appreciate all the advice though, I really do! If you're confident I can do it, I'll try my best! :3: It would be fun to at least get good enough with this character that I can input the moves.

The size of the dpad doesn't matter as much as how responsive it is. Trust me, the wii u pad is good enough to consistently do mario maker 1 frame shell jumps.

Practice slow while looking at the input record. Slow down to like 1 motion per sec until you can do that consistently!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm pretty sure this unlock I just got means I need to play King

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

This would be good to put in the OP imo, basic punishes for each character along with demonstration video

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2016/3/24/nobis-beginner-guide-videos-for-tekken-7.html

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If this is true I think this might be the first game in a long while where I buy the season pass

it is true, according to pc hackers

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

everyone unlock this video if you haven't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rib7ao8ULUM

TEKCAN TEKCAN TEKCAN TEKCAN

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

inthesto posted:

Every day, even if I only play for 30 minutes and watch Knee for a match or two, I feel like another piece of the puzzle is revealed to me. Maybe I don't know where it fits yet, but just even knowing it's there is like a revelation. I remember the first time I watched Aris's video on how to create a strategy by linking moves together with movement, and suddenly watching Korean Tekken videos took on a whole new level. Once someone explained just how brutal Leo's 50/50s and CHs are, I realized I was focusing far too much on fishing for launches and not bullying my opponent into giving me launches. It's like I'm decoding the matrix, one glowy green letter at a time.

What I'm trying to say here is that I loving love this game.

good post right here <3

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Dezinus posted:

I like fighting cpus because they never break throws, so I feel like a real cool guy.

At least in treasure battle they seem to never block rage arts, like they are programmed not to or something.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The Gorp posted:

Special fights are all fine, except turbo battle which shouldn't be a thing.
The gravity isn't sped up so combos drop during them and it makes me mad.

on the other hand,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fIEGs7OIBE

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, I appreciate the sentiment of "getting your rear end kicked is the first step to learning" but Tekken is a drat hard game and I like I said earlier I feel that if the player you're fighting is much better than you (aka. big skill difference) then it becomes really hard to learn anything. There's so much going on in a match of Tekken at once, and when my opponent is just completely wiping the floor with me I just feel like "what's even going on anymore." Not knowing frame data or match-ups also make things more difficult, like I fought a Lee who seemingly attacked forever and I couldn't even get in a sidestep, duck or jab and then I was dead. I just had no idea what he was doing or how to counter it.

Likewise, if you're getting your rear end kicked by this One Weird Asuka Mix-Up you can go into practice mode and use the record function to practice on it.... but sometimes it's hard (at least for me) to even know what moves the opponent used because it just felt like one long 100-0 combo and I wouldn't be able to replicate it in practice mode :v:

What you're saying is true of any fighting game. If you're getting beat by one thing, go to practice mode and figure out that thing they are beating you with. Before consoles they didn't even have practice mode.

So, man up

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Dias posted:

"just figure it out"

"but it's hard to even know HOW to figure it out"

"gently caress you you scrub suck my dick"

I said how to figure it out. Look at what beats you, and try it in training mode.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I will say though that this game would be much better if it had a replay feature. That's really useful in learning about your own matches.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I did read it

quote:

if the player you're fighting is much better than you (aka. big skill difference) then it becomes really hard to learn anything. There's so much going on in a match of Tekken at once, and when my opponent is just completely wiping the floor with me I just feel like "what's even going on anymore." Not knowing frame data or match-ups also make things more difficult, like I fought a Lee who seemingly attacked forever and I couldn't even get in a sidestep, duck or jab and then I was dead. I just had no idea what he was doing or how to counter it.

You have to figure out "what's even going on anymore." This is tough without replays! But it's how you have to learn.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Your Computer posted:

Didn't Dark Ressurection do this? You input the move from the movelist and it says "ding" and you get a little checkmark. I expected to see that when I started inputting stuff in the movelist in T7, so it was pretty unsatisfying when nothing happened :(

You said

and my entire point was about situations where you're not being beaten by one thing. I even gave an example! If you're being beaten by one thing (like in my example, an Asuka mix-up) then it's easy to go into practice mode and practice it.

But my point was that a lot of the time, for a total beginner like me, I'm getting stomped and I don't even know what moves the enemy is using. To take another example, let's say I go up against a Nina and she wrecks me completely. In that fight, she might've used 30 different moves. I wasn't being wrecked by "one thing", I was wrecked by everything. Especially without a replay (and even with) it's hard to pinpoint what exactly it was that murdered me, because it was all a blur of arms and legs and then I was dead. I can't very well go into practice mode and input that entire fight into the record feature so what am I supposed to do?

And heck, even if the skill levels were more equal a match can last for 5 rounds. There's a lot of moves you can get owned by in that amount of time and trying to remember all of that while also fighting and then finding all the inputs later in practice mode and practicing on it is hella hard! :shobon:

The more knowledge of everyone's movesets, frame data and whatnot you have the easier this becomes (since you can keep an eye out for "that one thing" that fucks you up) but please understand that to a beginner who probably hasn't even seen half of the moves in the game this might be impossible/less useful.

So you're getting mixed up. That's normal. My advice still applies. There's no magical way you can avoid being mixed up rather than learning the individual moves.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

interrodactyl posted:

I have some advice to make it less overwhelming. Focus on accomplishing one thing at a time. Don't judge your progress by wins.

Let's say you keep getting launched. Try to play every match without getting launched. Even if you lose, as long as you didn't get launched, count that as a win in your book.

If you got launched, pay attention to what caused that. Take that specific scenario and practice against it in training mode. Play a bunch more matches and don't get launched. Did you stop getting launched for the next 5 matches? Congrats. Pick another thing that caused you to lose in those matches even when you didn't get launched.

Maybe next it's to block and punish a specific low move from a character that keeps blowing you up. Grind it out in training mode, and then ask for matches from people who play that character.

This will seem like a very slow way to learn, but it's about teaching yourself the mindset of how to get your rear end beat while learning how to get better.

You can use this method to identify why you lose, develop a plan to stop losing to that, and then execute a practice plan that lets you stop losing to whatever it is.

As you get better, you will be able to do this faster and faster, to the point that you can adapt quickly within matches. This will help you develop a combination of familiarity with situations from playing, having the understanding of how to learn within a match situation, and the execution to pull it off.

This should be in the OP of every fg thread

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

i have the movements of the kbd down, but my timing is definitely off. which input should i being holding the longest? its clearly not d/b but that's what i hold now

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Savage For The Winjun posted:

I have been practicing in the hyperbolic time chamber. Three bar connection in practice mode, then I go online where most people are 4 or above and convert even the most unexpected hits into wallsplats.

Is there a way to reset back to the top of the temple stage without going back to stage select?

You can reset everything with Select + A/X. You can also change this in settings about where you and your opponent show up (at the wall, BT, etc)

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Savage For The Winjun posted:

Resetting from the basement of the temple keeps you in the basement

that's weird, it seemed like level 2 went back to level 1.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Mondian posted:

Is Hwoarang known for luring in bad players or did I just get lucky facing three different lovely Hwo's that bailed mid match to preserve their precious win streak today?

Sorta surprised at how many people don't rematch after they've lost too. I love it when some guy annihilates me and always try again. Especially if I lost 3-0, how else am I going to learn?

play vs. brosnan

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

it's kind of amazing that some people are okay with the steep learning curve of something like DOTA, with hundreds of items whose stats you need to "memorize", and a fighting game where the misleading poo poo your opponent is doing is just a few strings.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Dias posted:

I think it's because memorization in FGs is something you need to be able to call upon in literal fractions of seconds. Tekken is even harsher because the visual shorthand for what is safe or a combo is a lot more confusing than the one in traditional fighters (although I've started to realize there's way more "shortcuts" than it might look like at first).

its maybe fractions of a second, but the game is reduced down to you and one other person. i dont think fg knowledge is any harder than in a moba being able to use your skills on more difficult character. in mobas you just have your team mates to bail you out or blame

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Mondian posted:

For basic 1+3 and 2+4 throws the break is 1 or 2, respectively. You need to watch which of their arms is forward to tell which one to hit <- This is a thing everybody says, but in practice I find you need goddamn ridiculous reflexes to actually do that so maybe just guess.

In Tekken 7 you can break both of these with 1 or 2, no need to watch the arm. Command grabs still need to be broken with 1+2.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Crocoswine posted:

sure but as someone who had never played Tekken before it was really clear that the auto-combos handicapped you super hard. The proper way to do baby-mode is to just make the AI super dumb or give you more health or something. As opposed to, y'know, making you unable to use grabs.

I just want to bop on some barely sentient punching bags while I figure out what all these buttons do!

Treasure mode is good for that

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

yo mamma a Horus posted:

you should go into training mode and turn on input display, the game will show you why you are fuckin up. Sounds like it is habitual, so it'll take you a little bit to fix it.

you're probably doing d,f+button or df,f+button without realizing it. or maybe the half circle is helping you time your button press, if you're doing that too early or late on a quarter circle

Also if your inputs display perfect in training mode but it's only working some of the time, you may be starting the qcf too soon while still in the recovery animation of the last move. It seems like you can't buffer more than one direction output, so if you input qcf too fast the down input can get eaten up and you'll get a WS, or d,d/b get eaten and you get a standing move. It took me a while to realize this is what was happening.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MK2TKFFtQA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

CRISPYBABY posted:

Why remember options when you can just b+1,4, over and over and over again, mixing up between the 4 low followup and the 3,4 launcher?

I seem to always use this move at the wrong time and get blown up while in startup. Not saying it's bad or anything but somehow I can't exploit it like people talk about doing.