Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
You can see them on any given day in the comments section for articles on medicine or vaccinations; it's always "big pharma poisons you", "use natural cures" or "it gives you autism!"

These people are some of the scummiest on the internet as their propaganda can lead to deaths.

My working theory is that these people are severely mentally ill, perhaps schizophrenic -- or they may just be ignorant as gently caress.

Why are these anti-vaxx morons so crazy?

I want to hear it from you, GBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
somebody is telling them what to do with their child

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
same thing that inspires creationists

and climate change deniers

and just about everyone who disagrees with basic observable reality

they're just loving smacktards hth

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

OhsH posted:

somebody smarter than them is telling them what to do with their child

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
same thing if somebody dumber than them tells them what to do

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Their kid has autism or is retarded and they need a reason other than their own garbage genes.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
box wine

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Regressing autism is like the scariest possible thing that can happen to a kid and happens around the same time doctors are injecting things into the kid and people don't like "your kid forgetting who you are and turning into a weird screaming animal monster that will never love you or feel anything but pain bad enough that they will spend their whole life screaming in terror and pain is just a weird thing that happens sometimes" is unsatisfying so people make connections that aren't there because they don't have a better more correct answer.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i was vaccinated and now i post on the something awful forums

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
everything else that in their minds chips away at the credibility of actual science and medicine
every time someone refers to a chiropractor or osteopath as though those are a practitioners of medicine they lend credibility to this bullshit
tied ever closely to criticism of higher education and religious rejection of science

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
You can make up literally anything you want and if you write it down people will believe it. eg: http://nymag.com/selectall/2016/12/how-mike-cernovich-is-pizzagating-his-latest-victim.html

You just need to get people to read it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ironically, vaccines cause anti vax behavior in some people

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
They once saw a picture of a needle going into a baby and it looked scary.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Fear and not wanting to take responsibility for their own bad genetics. Also, if there were more visible and publicised cases of polio, or measles outbreaks, or meningitis, there would be vaccinations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
They must learn it and other weird health conspiracy theories in nursing school bevause most of its most vocal adherents I have known were almost all nurses.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Getting measles is worse than autism imo

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Its anti-intellectualism.

There has been a coordinated campaign against education and knowledge for a long time. When you yell about the liberal elite and they're ivory towers, because things like global warming are inconvenient for you, then half the country refuse to believe what smart people say to them. Science, peer review, and actual smart people that learned things are NOT authorities to these people.

So idiots choose "invented by a mom" over "all medical knowledge achieved by humanity"

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
Moon men. It's moon men. Always has been, always will be.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
people like to feel clever, like they know something special most don't. unfortunately most people are too dumb to actually discover something new so they make poo poo up

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bombadilillo posted:

Its anti-intellectualism.

There has been a coordinated campaign against education and knowledge for a long time. When you yell about the liberal elite and they're ivory towers, because things like global warming are inconvenient for you, then half the country refuse to believe what smart people say to them. Science, peer review, and actual smart people that learned things are NOT authorities to these people.

So idiots choose "invented by a mom" over "all medical knowledge achieved by humanity"

global warming actually is bullshit though.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I still wonder what is going to happen when the same percentage of these people have autistic children as the rest of the population. I guess they will realize it was "actually" caused by ... hmm ... sunlight? Exercise? Miscegenation?

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Stupid people decided that this loving idiot knows more than doctors.

FlimFlam Imam fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 9, 2017

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Rush Limbaugh tells people that education is liberal indoctrination.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

I still wonder what is going to happen when the same percentage of these people have autistic children as the rest of the population. I guess they will realize it was "actually" caused by ... hmm ... sunlight? Exercise? Miscegenation?

chemtrails

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Man made = bad, duh

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

people like to feel clever, like they know something special most don't. unfortunately most people are too dumb to actually discover something new so they make poo poo up

Rutibex posted:

global warming actually is bullshit though.

:ironicat:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I think :thejoke:
I really hope :thejoke:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My partner's sister is an anti-vaxxer because her first kid has pretty bad autism. He once got dangerously close to implying he was sympathetic towards her decision and I smacked that right down. No honey, you sister is crazy and I will not abide by this foolishness.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's really scary to wonder what's causing autism to become hugely more common with each generation though

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Fluoride

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

shovelbum posted:

It's really scary to wonder what's causing autism to become hugely more common with each generation though

it's not becoming more common, we just get better at diagnosing it

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

shovelbum posted:

Wider recognition, an expanded definition, and more proper diagnoses.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So 1 in 50 kids or whatever just screamed and rocked since the beginning of time

Edit I guess there have been cold spergy dudes in huge numbers and that's part of autism now though that's probably a ton of it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

shovelbum posted:

So 1 in 50 kids or whatever just screamed and rocked since the beginning of time?

Autism is a spectrum and includes your average Wikipedia editor and adtrw poster

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

shovelbum posted:

So 1 in 50 kids or whatever just screamed and rocked since the beginning of time

Edit I guess there have been cold spergy dudes in huge numbers and that's part of autism now though that's probably a ton of it

For most history they just died.

Then they were called slow.

Then they were called assburgers.

Then they were recognized properly.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shovelbum posted:

So 1 in 50 kids or whatever just screamed and rocked since the beginning of time?

I'm pretty sure back in the day when you had an autistic kid they frequently got into an "accident", you got a shovel and no one asked any questions.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

shovelbum posted:

Probably, but it was more acceptable back then to snuff your autist baby by dropping it down a well or something. Now we keep them.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
My girlfriends science teacher had them do a scientific analysis on this in terms of correlation and causation. It was a good lesson and the professor is a good person swimming against the tide of stupid.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo like even in the seventies and eighties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It's really a weird cocktail of several issues op.

1) General rise of anti-science mentality in the US.
2) The fact that many pharmaceutical companies really are profiteering dickheads (but they don't give your children autism).
3) The comical belief that "mother knows best" applies to things which require a medical degree to even properly understand.
4) The deplorable state of the US healthcare industry.

#4 is a big stealth issue that is starting to rear it's head in the US imo. It's like a small scale version of what happened in China after Mao's revolution led to the death or expulsion of most of China's doctors. The void was filled by quacks who knew nothing and charged for placebo treatments. Public trust in the medical profession was destroyed, and the "Traditional Chinese Medicine" industry which peddles ridiculous, ineffective, and occasional harmful treatments, exploded into being. To this day many Chinese trust TCM practitioners as much or more than actual physicians practicing sound medical procedure.

In the US we have a similar but less dramatic issue. Our doctors were not exiled or killed, but for many American citizens they may as well have been. Medical costs are ruinous for any serious issue, and our supply of qualified medical professionals falls well short of our needs. Medicine has a strong profit motive, and our people know it. For many Americans seeing a doctor is an adversarial exchange, mainly due to a huge conflict of interest: liability versus affordability. Medical liability is a big problem in the US, and doctors are routinely sued over nonsense. As a result US doctors are prone to over-testing patients. They order huge numbers of tests and procedures that are either redundant or covering against extremely unlikely edge cases. Close scrutiny of any hospital bill will reveal of wealth of barely necessary or justifiable tests and procedures. This has only a very marginal effect on curing patients but a huge effect on costs. Patients interpret this over-providing of unnecessary care as profiteering off their sickness, and it erodes trust in doctors.

This is where we are at. The American people are beginning to lose trust in the medical profession. Whether it's because poverty denies them access to a doctor entirely or because of negative perceptions of the doctors they do see. The result is the same: trust is declining. When trust in medicine declines, belief in things which are not scientifically sound (like anti-vaxxing) are inevitable.

And that's why anti-vaxxing is on the rise.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 9, 2017

• Locked thread