Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Lord Bude posted:

I don't think you understand. There are 6 months of the year where you wake up drench with sweat. Where your pyjamas are roughly as wet as they are when you pull them out of the washing machine. There are nights when the overnight temperature drops to a low of 30c (86F) and the humidity is high.

From what I've heard, there's something desperately wrong with construction companies in Australia and homes are apparently built entirely without insulation.

For anyone who doesn't live in Australia, Venus, or Hell, the hamper in the bedroom is just fine.

This is a couple pages back, but:

The Dave posted:

The coolest frames we own are the ones I made myself with wood I found on the side of the road. You just need a miter saw, wood glue, something internal or external to join the pieces, and then you can get custom glass cut at lowes.

If you're framing anything remotely valuable or difficult to replace, plexiglass, not glass. Otherwise, if something happens and it falls off the wall, gets dropped in a move, or someone knocks into it the glass will shred the paper/canvas/whatever.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Blue Footed Booby posted:

From what I've heard, there's something desperately wrong with construction companies in Australia and homes are apparently built entirely without insulation.

This is mostly the case yes. It’s a cost thing I think. Also you generally don’t see central heating or cooling.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Lord Bude posted:

This is mostly the case yes. It’s a cost thing I think. Also you generally don’t see central heating or cooling.

Interesting. Seems crazy in such a hot country. If I lived there my house would get insulated to gently caress, particularly with no AC.

It's Switzerland so obviously a different climate, but my apartment in the city just sits around 22-24 deg C even when it's 35 outside.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I love learning about the way other countries do things. Scandanavia has boot rooms, America has laundry rooms, Australia has no effing AC.
50pc of British houses have none of the above and also have toilets by the kitchen. Worst county ever.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Why don't you either build your homes for passive cooling or put an AC unit in there?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I don't think it's weird to only wear PJs once but I have certain secretions to worry about. They get filed under knickers and socks (wear once). Also, not a hot country.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah British housing is an absolute joke, particularly new build. When I got a new job I rented a room in a newly built house in Oxfordshire for a year, construction quality was terrible and the thing was basically falling apart. Overheated and cold at the same time.

Have any of you guys whose clothes are rotting on your bodies considered you might be undead? Sorry you had to find out this way.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Sloth Life posted:

I love learning about the way other countries do things. Scandanavia has boot rooms, America has laundry rooms, Australia has no effing AC.
50pc of British houses have none of the above and also have toilets by the kitchen. Worst county ever.

I mean; people do install split system AC units If they own the house - the sort with a box that sits on the outside wall connected to an AC unit on the inside; but those only really do one room; have only been affordable to most people for the past 15-20 years and are still pretty expensive so you usually see people with just the living room and maybe one bedroom done. And power is very expensive here so people have a mindset that the AC is for emergency use only.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Nessus posted:

Why don't you build your homes for passive cooling

This was a thing before WW2 then It kinda faded away.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Because when you take clothes off to discard them most of the time you will be in your bathroom about to have a shower.

The hell I am?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

latinotwink1997 posted:

No wonder Australia suffers from extreme droughts!

Every part of that situation seems very wasteful to me.

Not to mention the extra electricity demand. For a country with the worst CO2 emissions per capita.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

The Lord Bude posted:

2. Infestation is a gross exaggeration, as is the notion in another post that they spontaneously generate themselves. I have no idea if this is a regional thing or not, but little moths that eat through cotton/wool (wool in particular) are a very real thing, and I'd say I'd notice several of them in my bedroom a month. They are drawn to the scents left on clothing by wearing them, and can be warded off by having nice clean clothing, and using a detergent with Eucalyptus or lavender oils.

No, you get rid of them with pheromone traps. Here is a local retailer, hopefully this stops all your clothes being eaten: https://www.easypestsupplies.com.au/pest/moths/traps

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

drgitlin posted:

No, you get rid of them with pheromone traps. Here is a local retailer, hopefully this stops all your clothes being eaten: https://www.easypestsupplies.com.au/pest/moths/traps

ooh. Not really local to me but a nice idea and I'll try and find them locally. Still not going to put dirty clothes in the wardrobe with clean stuff though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Lord Bude posted:

This was a thing before WW2 then It kinda faded away.
Ah, no doubt the terms of the surrender to the Emus.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The amazing technology of window screens can also stop bugs from wandering in constantly

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

ooh. Not really local to me but a nice idea and I'll try and find them locally. Still not going to put dirty clothes in the wardrobe with clean stuff though.

Coles and Woolies carry them too. Same shelf as cockroach poison, fly spray, etc. If that fails try Bunnings.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Wait are moth balls not a thing in Australia?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

Depends how sweaty you are.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Youth Decay posted:

Was going to suggest a cedar hamper or something too, doesn't that naturally help somehow?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Okay fine I didn't want to effortpost but I will if forced. I knit, which means I have a ton of yarn, mostly wool, and if anything eats any of it, I'll scream and die.

When it comes to clothes moths, eucalyptus and lavender don't do much, if anything. Cedar isn't terribly effective unless maybe you put a ton of effort into it. Mothballs only work in an airtight environment. Pheromone traps are useful primarily for detecting infestations rather than controlling them.

What works best is simply keeping the moths away from the clothes. You aren't going to store your clothes how I store my yarn, but you can at least use window screens.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Is Austrailia one of those weird countries with no screens (but with huge death spiders?)

Here in mosquitoville I cannot fathom this.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I just moved into a new apartment and want to put up curtains in the living room. Will I need to remove the blinds and mount my own curtain rod, or is there another way? I couldn’t find a tension rod that’s long enough. It’s not a big deal to remove the existing blinds but finding somewhere to store there is kind of annoying.

Ignore the tires, they’ll be moved shortly.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

No we have screens on every door and window; and a very strict ‘you immediately step through the door and then shut it again right away’ policy. It doesn’t keep insects out perfectly. Very old house; they manage to get in. I don’t have an infestation; I just see one every now and then and I have an abundance of caution. Naphthalene (the active ingredient in mothballs) is quite toxic - mothballs are actually Banned in the EU and China. My grandparents made extensive use of them once upon a time but my dad and I got rid of them years ago and banned them from the house.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Just reiterating that your bathroom is really nice.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Aye, and a full 4 times bigger than any of mine.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Thank you! The lustre wears off a bit if you look closely - The Toilet and shower door were replaced in 2011; the sink, taps - both sink and bathtub - and the different tiles immediately surrounding the sink were put in about 30 years ago; but the remainder of the bathroom including the main floor tiles and wall tiles date back to the 1950s; and they're really showing their age. Even the newer taps the gold colour has mostly worn away. There is a window on the right hand wall, and the mirror is also blocking up what was once originally a window - from the outside the window is still there. It isn't properly sealed and debris and crap blows into the bathroom from behind the mirror. Between that and the fact that a pair of extremely hirsute Greek dudes occupy it; we end up sweeping up a full dustpan's worth of dust and pubes a couple times a week.

Fun fact - when my Grandparents bought the place in the late 50s, there was no internal toilet, only an outhouse in the back yard. The outhouse is still there and has a fully functioning toilet, until a few years ago an old school model with an overhead cistern. This was the norm in Australia until the 60s or so - most even inner city neighbourhoods didn't have sewers built until the 50s and 60s.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 24, 2020

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Is there a write up about custom frame jobs, archival and what to look for and average pricing? I want to get my 50/60s era travel posters linen backed and framed.

Or even a DIY write up for after I get them linen backed to make my own frame. It seems like the non-standard oversized glass is my biggest expense.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 24, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Why would you wear pajamas if it's hot af

Unless you just mean 'the shorts I wore to sleep' when you use that word

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Sleeping naked is the only way esp in summer

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
One thing I liked about Holland was the toilet was separate from the shower and laundry. Works so well when living with another person. Never having to wait for the loo or smell another persons poo poo when taking a shower. Plus more room for luxury shower experience. They were also set up more like a wet room than a bathroom.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Why would you wear pajamas if it's hot af

Unless you just mean 'the shorts I wore to sleep' when you use that word

In winter I wear pyjamas with long sleeves and long pant legs. In summer I wear trunks and a singlet. In between I wear a short sleeve pyjama shirt.

Also worth noting that my sleep schedule generally has me waking up at midday which exacerbates the heat situation.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

snoo posted:

maybe 99% of those issues stem from living in subtropical austraila and aren't the norm in the US and maybe even europe? just a thought

If anyone thinks that it's the "subtropical" part I'd have to assume they do not know what a subtropical climate is.

It's more the "Australian" part: homes not being insulated or climate controlled to modern standards yet somehow not constructed in a way that "modern-ish" pre-AC homes were constructed in subtropical areas (for passive cooling and relatively efficient heating) in basically every other part of the world. It's a baffling set of decisions.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Is there a write up about custom frame jobs, archival and what to look for and average pricing? I want to get my 50/60s era travel posters linen backed and framed.

Or even a DIY write up for after I get them linen backed to make my own frame. It seems like the non-standard oversized glass is my biggest expense.

Ages ago I photographed my process of framing a woodblock print using mulberry paper hinges thinking I'd make an effort how-to post. When I get home later I might try to find those or at least pass along some resources.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

The Lord Bude posted:

No we have screens on every door and window; and a very strict ‘you immediately step through the door and then shut it again right away’ policy. It doesn’t keep insects out perfectly. Very old house; they manage to get in. I don’t have an infestation; I just see one every now and then and I have an abundance of caution. Naphthalene (the active ingredient in mothballs) is quite toxic - mothballs are actually Banned in the EU and China. My grandparents made extensive use of them once upon a time but my dad and I got rid of them years ago and banned them from the house.
I had a job once where we had to clean up a hoarder situation, after the occupant had died of his habit of napthalene huffing. The house absolutely reeked of moth balls, which while unpleasant, did make it marginally better than the average hoarder job.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Instead of a chair, I have a bench at the foot of my bed that I can sit on to put on socks and helps the dog jump down because he's old. It's also where I throw my dirty laundry until I get around to washing it. Lastly, my bedroom doesn't have to look like anything because it's where I sleep so unless we're going to gently caress, you're not going to see the inside of it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I randomly have these vases. I thought it would be interesting to use them as light sources on either side of my TV on a super long media console by putting a light bulb or some cheap light fixture from IKEA inside which I could hook up to my spare Alexa-enabled smart outlet. The problem is I wonder if the lighting effect only makes sense with something like an LED candle, but that would require me to constantly replace the battery.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 24, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Those look pretty opaque. Are you trying to project a circle onto your ceiling? Because that's probably all they'll do.

Hold one upside down over a lamp and see if you can see the light through it.

To answer your question, as long as they aren't tempered, it should be POSSIBLE to drill a small hole in them with the right tools. https://www.familyhandyman.com/tools/drills/how-to-drill-a-hole-in-glass/

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 24, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

KillHour posted:

Those look pretty opaque. Are you trying to project a circle onto your ceiling? Because that's probably all they'll do.

Hold one upside down over a lamp and see if you can see the light through it.

To answer your question, as long as they aren't tempered, it should be POSSIBLE to drill a small hole in them with the right tools. https://www.familyhandyman.com/tools/drills/how-to-drill-a-hole-in-glass/
I’m not looking to use them as a source of bright light, just maybe interesting mood/ambient lighting.

Really, I’m just trying to figure out some interesting way to use them and right now it looks like I’m gonna have tons of space on either side of my TV.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is gonna sound weird but maybe put flowers in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Any good trick to hiding the plunger etc. ? don't want to put it in a cupboard and smell that whole thing up.

also I forgot to share a few funny things, one from yesterday and one from a while back:

1) yesterday I was telling my mom about minimalism. In my laundry closet there was an upper shelf that I've literally never used, and had extra shelving on it I never used, so I took it off and tossed it. This is that super cheap rubbermaid white poo poo. mom: "but when you sell your house it's good to have extra shelving!!!"

2) when I sold my lovely ikea bed, the guy who picked it up literally KNOCKED on it and said "yeah that's good quality." It's loving fiberboard. I would have burst out laughing right there but it might have cost me the sale.