Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I actually picked up a book by Norman Finkelstein over the weekend that's pertinent to that hot take: "A Nation On Trial: The Goldhagen Thesis and Historical Truth", which he co-wrote with Ruth Bettina Birn in 1998. It was a rebuttal of Daniel Jonah Goldhagen's book, "Hitler's Willing Executioners", which posited that Germans and Germany were all possessed of some kind of elemental antisemitism that suffused their entire culture, such that they were always fated to commit the Holocaust. Of course, this idea that antisemitism was the base and prime motivator of Nazis and Nazi Germany is wrong in a lot of ways.

If nothing else, it's a fantastic showcase of Finkenstein's ability to debate - to examine someone's arguments and counter them, point by point, with strong logical reasoning and well-sourced historical background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

The other 37% wanted to own the libtards

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I kinda love it when liberals discover something for the first time that leftists have known for ages. The naivete is almost cute.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol he apparently writes for Jacobin

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I kinda love it when liberals discover something for the first time that leftists have known for ages. The naivete is almost cute.
I'm feeling really loving dense today, can you or someone else explain what the point is they are making? I feel like I'm almost there but missing something.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ommin posted:

I'm feeling really loving dense today, can you or someone else explain what the point is they are making? I feel like I'm almost there but missing something.

The overwhelming media narrative in the US at least is that antisemitism was the sole driver of nazi oppression, with maybe depending on the audience lip service to queer people and Roma and the disabled. Which is not to minimize what was done to these groups, but the truncated view means that an educated professional is astounded to learn this fact

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

HashtagGirlboss posted:

The overwhelming media narrative in the US at least is that antisemitism was the sole driver of nazi oppression, with maybe depending on the audience lip service to queer people and Roma and the disabled. Which is not to minimize what was done to these groups, but the truncated view means that an educated professional is astounded to learn this fact

yeah it's funny to see a supposed academic shocked at a basic fact about the nazis, because their conception of "judeo bolshevism" as the enemy is ideologically shortened in american education/media to a base antisemitism that seemingly springs out of the earth. which is fine, it's not like there's a huge segment of reactionaries now who claim jewish communists are destroying western civilization with degenerate gays, trans, immigrants, etc.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
And this narrowing of focus both erases the histories of these other groups, all of whom are still persecuted by the state both in America and Germany, but also casts the Holocaust as a singular evil that can not happen again and is therefore used to deny modern day genocides. The fact that Hitler was inspired by America's treatment of the native peoples says a great deal about how this country was made, and being unaware of these fundamental facts about fascism and how it functions has allowed for it to return in large numbers.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
Thank you all. That must have been why I was missing the "hot take" because it seemed pretty obvious. Also, I hate it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

yeah it's funny to see a supposed academic shocked at a basic fact about the nazis, because their conception of "judeo bolshevism" as the enemy is ideologically shortened in american education/media to a base antisemitism that seemingly springs out of the earth. which is fine, it's not like there's a huge segment of reactionaries now who claim jewish communists are destroying western civilization with degenerate gays, trans, immigrants, etc.

It's one of those things where we really shouldn't mock someone for learning things like this because you really don't learn much about it in schools. You might get a reference to them also killing a bunch of communists (sometimes just Russian POWs) if you're doing decent coverage of the Holocaust.

Unless you're a Poli-Sci professor who claims to be an expert on the modern right wing and wrote a whole rear end book described as "McManus presents an intellectual history of the conservative and reactionary tradition, stretching from Aristotle and Filmer to Alexander Dugin and Patrick Deneen" and somehow didn't hear or grasp the Nazis and Judeo-Bolshevism.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The first concentration camps opened in 1933 though these were labour camps and not really comparable to the later death camps. They were primarily used to imprison political dissidents, mostly communists, but also homosexuals and other "antisocial" people.

A major turn for Germany was the November Revolution in 1918 when the Spartacus League, The KPD and other Communists revolted and tried to overthrow the newly formed Weimar Republic . The revolution was brutally put down by the Freikorps, far-right militias formed by soldiers coming home from WW1.

Later the Stab in the Back myth formed where the idea was that Germany didn't really lose the war and would've won if it hadn't been for the Communists, Jews, pacifists, gays, and other "deviants" who undermined the war effort. This myth was central to Nazi ideology.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
If the jews get an ethnostate because they were victims in the holocaust then queer people should also get a state.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

LuxuryLarva posted:

If the jews get an ethnostate because they were victims in the holocaust then queer people should also get a state.

also the romani

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
and communists :mmmsmug:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

tokin opposition posted:

and communists :mmmsmug:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Banish all Bavarians to Madagascar or something and make Bavaria a Gay Free State.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Does madagascar really deserve that sort of shabby treatment

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also it's important to note that the Freikorps were working for the SPD government because Social Democrats, being spineless centrists, will always betray the working class and work against any actually meaningful change.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also it's important to note that the Freikorps were working for the SPD government because Social Democrats, being spineless centrists, will always betray the working class and work against any actually meaningful change.

it's important not to be hasty with things

selec
Sep 6, 2003

https://x.com/YourOldDroog/status/1773160299551425006?s=20

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I dunno man, that seems about right

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe
Scarface is Carlito's Way for teenage boys

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

I dunno man, that seems about right

content is correct, venue is what makes it sizzle

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Spergin Morlock posted:

Scarface is Carlito's Way for teenage boys

carlito's way is king of new york for the yao ming of ray charleses

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

selec posted:

:hmmyes:

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://x.com/whstancil/status/1736403013856645171?s=20

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

selec posted:

King of New York is Guys and Dolls for heterosexuals

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

drat i remember listening to this guy like ten years ago. anyway tweets gone what was it.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

drat i remember listening to this guy like ten years ago. anyway tweets gone what was it.

he said joe biden probably smells really nice

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

LuxuryLarva posted:

They have a proto-state, it's called the EBU.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

StashAugustine posted:

also the romani

Uhhh ever heard of Romania

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/VerminusM/status/1773021303525544146?t=nN8MTWD10d4wE-coveuNxw&s=19

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

lol. No I dont have some weird religious justification for what I’m doing. I just like to steal land from people

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

HashtagGirlboss posted:

lol. No I dont have some weird religious justification for what I’m doing. I just like to steal land from people
Netanyahy made Isekai anime real.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Some settlers do it for religious reasons, others do it to escape pedophilia charges in their home countries. It's very nuanced

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

I support colonization and genocide, but not in a weird way

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

lobster shirt posted:

Taxi Driver is Scarface for incels

— YOD (@YourOldDroog) March 28, 2024

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Jokes on them because I'm not Jewish

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/AshaLogos/status/1768761161787588687?t=m_G2j8rXli0r0tztVuHkgQ&s=19

Nobody joining the US military is going to have read the loving Iliad prior to signing up

Hell, they might not be able to read.

Ths dude did tho, and he'd totally mouth off to a DI, 100%

Dudes built different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Not quite a hot take (except in the veerrry literal sense) but I had to share this somewhere

https://twitter.com/john_macgowan/status/1773619502351089776?t=H7TYJULx9V1EpvyNe3QJpA&s=19