Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
we should all have solar ovens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
really the only ethical choice is to stop eating, your farts and poop produce greenhouse gases

THS
Sep 15, 2017

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

electric coil stoves are significantly more energy inefficient than gas and are more expensive to operate as a result (this still isn't v much money). matt has his analogy backwards

they're also shittier to cook on - they take longer to heat up and tend to heat unevenly

however gas does have the problem with indoor air pollution, so make sure to always run your vent hood when it's on and you'll be fine

my vent hood vents the smoke into my apartment

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

THS posted:

my vent hood vents the smoke into my apartment

fuckign owned

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

funny american housing/construction trivia: most american stove "vent hoods" don't actually route the duct anywhere, it's just closed off and doesn't do anything whatsoever
e: get a load of these $1500+ ~ductless range hoods~
https://futurofuturo.com/style/ductless-range-hoods/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
matt bruenig is ahuge twitter troll you idiots

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Flesh Forge posted:

funny american housing/construction trivia: most american stove "vent hoods" don't actually route the duct anywhere, it's just closed off and doesn't do anything whatsoever
e: get a load of these $1500+ ~ductless range hoods~
https://futurofuturo.com/style/ductless-range-hoods/

ductless is a thing, but they're frequently against local building codes

typically state and local code specifies that cooking exhaust equipment must discharge outdoors, however here's the relevant portion of the IMC that specifically grants an exception for ductless, so your local codes could be all over the place depending on how closely they follow it. america is a fun patchwork nightmare like that

fwiw california requires kitchen exhaust systems and specifies their capacity and stuff, so any ductless systems here tend to be found in older houses that haven't been renovated or anything in decades

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Jose posted:

matt bruenig is ahuge twitter troll you idiots

oh no we think the ugly idiot is an ugly idiot boy oh boy he really got us. we’ve been fooled

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i'm gonna compromise by building a charcoal fire on top of my induction range

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Literally the "joke's on u I'm just pretending" cartoon

THS
Sep 15, 2017

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ductless is a thing, but they're frequently against local building codes

typically state and local code specifies that cooking exhaust equipment must discharge outdoors, however here's the relevant portion of the IMC that specifically grants an exception for ductless, so your local codes could be all over the place depending on how closely they follow it. america is a fun patchwork nightmare like that

fwiw california requires kitchen exhaust systems and specifies their capacity and stuff, so any ductless systems here tend to be found in older houses that haven't been renovated or anything in decades

i have probably lived in 10 different apartments in texas, nebraska, and delaware and not a single one had a vent hood that went to the outside. i dont recall this being common for anyone i knew either. building codes??? to be fair i have an unparalleled track record for living in the worst states and cities in america

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i've actually done this:

when the power went out in the middle of cooking during the recent texas storms, since i only needed a few more minutes of heat

i have since purchased a CO alarm in case i ever need to do it again

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

People in Texas died doing that

dimhue
Mar 5, 2017

THS posted:

i have probably lived in 10 different apartments in texas, nebraska, and delaware and not a single one had a vent hood that went to the outside. i dont recall this being common for anyone i knew either. building codes??? to be fair i have an unparalleled track record for living in the worst states and cities in america

Every place I've lived in with gas stoves had a vent outside. Hell, my current house doesn't even have a gas connection and the stove still has a vented hood.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Flesh Forge posted:

People in Texas died doing that

between giving up my lunch and risking death from carbon monoxide poisoning, the choice was clear

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Dustcat posted:

i've actually done this:

when the power went out in the middle of cooking during the recent texas storms, since i only needed a few more minutes of heat

is that a single chicken breast covered in tumeric

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dustcat posted:

between giving up my lunch and risking death from carbon monoxide poisoning, the choice was clear

I mean, people in Texas also died from freezing to death so I can't blame a person for being cold :shrug:
e: you know how Texas famously has a low cost of living and low housing cost, it turns out there's reasons for that

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cooking with a camp stove indoors is obviously not best practice, but it’s usually burning fuel to heat the room that gets people. That’s a lot more sustained burning, and they can’t open a window because that just lets the cold air in.

Plenty of poor folk cook indoors with unvented butane stoves every day because they don’t have better options.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Platystemon posted:

Cooking with a camp stove indoors is obviously not best practice, but it’s usually burning fuel to heat the room that gets people. That’s a lot more sustained burning, and they can’t open a window because that just lets the cold air in.

Plenty of poor folk cook indoors with unvented butane stoves every day because they don’t have better options.

yeah

the CO alarm is really mostly in case we ever need to use the fireplace for a prolonged period again, because some smoke was definitely getting back in the house by the smell

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Vasukhani posted:

is that a single chicken breast covered in tumeric

curry powder

when it was done, i took it off, boiled angel hair pasta in the pot, made a gorgonzola alfredo in the pan to toss it in, then put the breast on top of that

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

real survival situation yeah

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Dustcat posted:

i've actually done this:

every time there's a hurricane there's always a few people that die doing this

or from dragging their generator inside and running it in the living room

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
gasoline and propane have dramatically different carbon monoxide exhaust quantity differences

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

well that's just the risks you take, living in ~the richest nation on earth~

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

every time there's a hurricane there's always a few people that die doing this

or from dragging their generator inside and running it in the living room

i'm pretty sure literally nobody ever has dragged their generator inside and run it in the living room my good goon

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
there is no death dumb enough that it has not happened

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Tiler Kiwi posted:

there is no death dumb enough that it has not happened

i feel like there's an easy mathematical proof that this statement is false because you can always add sharks and bitcoin to anything that happened in real life and make it just that much dumber

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dustcat posted:

i'm pretty sure literally nobody ever has dragged their generator inside and run it in the living room my good goon

you must not live in hurricane country then, because it's quite a regular occurrence during them

doing exactly that killed 8 people during hurricane laura last year

people will even bring their charcoal grills inside during storms, it's insane

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Jose posted:

nobody in cspam is using a wok in such a way they have to have gas lol

yeah

I use an outdoor wok burner that shoots out a foot long jet of flame it fuckin rules

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you must not live in hurricane country then, because it's quite a regular occurrence during them

doing exactly that killed 8 people during hurricane laura last year

people will even bring their charcoal grills inside during storms, it's insane

imagine for a second what a generator running inside your living room would be like

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Wait, how are fake hoods or no hoods/ducts a thing in America?
I'm less than a block away from a gecekondu district and I'm half sure my building doesn't legally exist and they still bothered to put in a real duct over my stove-thing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

you ever heard of this thing called CAPITALISMS buddy, well that's why

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The "fume hood" over my lovely GE apartment stove is literally just a fan that takes the air from above the stove and pumps it back out in a different spot that is also above the stove but a little bit higher up

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

vyelkin posted:

The "fume hood" over my lovely GE apartment stove is literally just a fan that takes the air from above the stove and pumps it back out in a different spot that is also above the stove but a little bit higher up

According to the public understanding of airflow demonstrated by the present pandemic, this ought to work.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
this thread's reaction to matt bruenig's most obvious trolls shows that SA hasn't changed since they permabanned getfiscal

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

this thread's reaction to matt bruenig's most obvious trolls shows that SA hasn't changed since they permabanned getfiscal

hey man you're a corny as hell QCS freak, gently caress yourself. how's pick doing ;)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/1374823345783463942

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

the real problem with gas stoves is that they blast horrible fumes into your lungs and pollute your entire house. the gas industry is sinister with this poo poo

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2021/02/how-the-fossil-fuel-industry-convinced-americans-to-love-gas-stoves/

quote:

Shelly Miller, a University of Colorado, Boulder, environmental engineer who has studied indoor air quality for decades, explains that household gas combustion is essentially the same as in a car. “Cooking,” she adds, “is the number one way you’re polluting your home. It is causing respiratory and cardiovascular health problems; it can exacerbate flu and asthma and COPD [chronic obstructive pulmonary disease] in children.” Without ventilation, “you’re basically living in this toxic soup.”

Over the last century, the gas industry has worked wonders to convince Americans that cooking with a gas flame is superior to using electric heat. Gas companies have urged us not to think too hard—if at all—about what it means to combust a fossil fuel in our homes.

and the gas industry pays influencers to advertise this poo poo

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2020/06/gas-industry-influencers-stoves/

in conclusion, gently caress gas.

Bullfrog has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Mar 28, 2021

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

the 2016 lover posted:

hey man you're a corny as hell QCS freak, gently caress yourself. how's pick doing ;)

stop sending strings of PMs to women who piss you off online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the 2016 lover posted:

ahahahahaaaa