Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
I'd be wary of someone who liked James Joyce. I just can't support that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Platystemon posted:

There’s also the opposite approach, where you imagine a largish number of doors, say twenty. Month Hall opens eighteen of them to reveal goats. How can a person still believe that the odds that they correctly picked the car and should not switch are one in two?

It's just very difficult to get over the hurdle of 2 doors = 1/2 chance. People ignore the amount of starting doors (actually, that's what the guy in the tweet does). Can't really blame them.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Related, there's a guy who's been raging against the conservation of angular momentum for about 30 years now. Link to a reddit thread he made and his website.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rational_skeptic/comments/n3179x/i_have_discovered_that_angular_momentum_is_not/

http://www.baur-research.com/Physics

He's a mite mentally ill, but you think Isaac Newton wasn't?

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Shageletic posted:

The PA Supreme Court recently ruled that the cops promising that someone who is promised by thr cops that they wouldnr be prosecuted could have their ensuing testimony allowed even if a lawyer wasnt present.

Guess the diff btw this dude and Cosby

cosby's black?

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

imagining the reaction of someone with clear Ebola symptoms walking into a restaurant and demanding service

christmas boots posted:

Getting real sick of all those people with Ebola that keeping going to Applebee's.

Ha ha! Fast food, am I right?! Fast in fast out!

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

indigi posted:

am I the only one who thinks if the Marines wanted to put a football team together they could dominate the NFL?

if we got all the goons together, we could probably take over an island like madagascar, or new zealand, or the phillipines

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

beautiful.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

oh yeah the most important thing for the proleteriat is a million executions. they cant wait for mass death.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Book of Eugenesis

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Serf posted:

pf2e suffers from having too many cooks. the player materials for orcs are pretty decent, but the monster manual poo poo is still the same old savage monsters who only respect strength (but fear magic for some reason) poo poo that they've always done.

also the entry for kobolds describes them as chill anarchists until something stronger than then shows up, at which point they abandon all that for worshipping power

kobolds own

esp. wow kobolds. candle!!

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

He's right. Haters and betas can't understand.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

I'd ask him what his real name is, and then I would say it backwards.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

The Rock just sweats any dirt away constantly. People like you and I just can’t do that

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The eras I studied the most for my degree were medieval Reconquista-era Aragon

this mf studied lord of the rings for his history degree

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

A truck of laundry? Is there dropshipping for clothes cleaning?

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

ty for laundry details, makes perfect sense. obviously it has to travel to be distributed lol

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

... interesting tweets there. could get to some really racist conclusions from them if you wanted to.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

lollin, thats great

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

radical hillary. shes got my vote. so long as she keeps the cattle rustlers out still

queen

Quotey has issued a correction as of 14:16 on Jan 15, 2022

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

https://twitter.com/altnoaa/status/1489521052988420099?s=21

Found the new thread title I guess

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Violence owns. Thank you Mr Verhoeven.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

other than the holocaust centers of course

this is like the third checkie to tweet that this month wtf

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

You can read the paper. It doesn’t talk about carbon emissions, just energy usage.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

just heard a huge amount of glass smashing coming from this thread

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

when National Geographic starts running big winks to straight nazi propaganda I'll probably complain about it here, yes.

I'll hold you to that.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

holy poo poo, lmao

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Chamale posted:

The Mongol conquests killed 40 to 60 million people. The British Raj killed somewhere between 600 million and 1.8 billion people.

Where are you getting those kind of numbers from? They seem uh, slightly high.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

It's an interesting perspective, but I wouldn't take it as gospel. The 45T number is kind of... made up.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Assuming similar birthrates for the period 1700-1950, India is missing about 31 billion person-years over that 250 year period. With a life expectancy of around 25 for most of that period, that is equal to 1.25 billion additional deaths compared to China. Or I guess, equal to 1.25 billion people dying 25 years earlier than they would have under a rule similar to China's.

Turns out the truth truly was in the middle.

Yeah this seems more reasonable once you think about it, if you're fine with calculating things that way. The number just hit that "way too high" trigger. The mongolian one always did too, but I've never looked into it. It seems like a lot of murder over 100 years, but maybe it's using the same methodology?

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

I bet if you really stretch it in stupid ways and look at the population growth of Irish disaporas you could have a billion out of Ireland

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Civilized Fishbot posted:

You're trying to convince me of the thing I keep saying?

it's insanely funny. some sort of drive to be the most right and maligned

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

“Y’all”?! More like the great localisation movement.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

The Leck posted:

Last year I was walking by a house with one of those 12 foot skeletons in the front yard. I overheard a kid in the family behind me excitedly yelling out “Skeleton!” and then the father sarcastically saying “Don’t tell Joyce Carol Oates” while sounding like he was rolling his eyes. Definitely one of the stranger moments I’ve had of online and real life intersecting

lmfao

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

This

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

oh yeah, pour all your cringe microplastics into the earth. very noble. i'm using seven thousand pounds of rocket fuel to send myself to the andromeda galaxy to minimise pollution.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

This lady must be in the top 3 all time worst columnists ever, alongside Friedman and Malcom Gladwell. You have to admire it

dont know about that lady, but megan mcardle is absolutely in the top 3. don't think gladwell is TBH

(72 dead, published before half had even been counted)

see https://theoutline.com/post/2303/megan-mcardle-has-a-lot-of-bad-ideas. all of the claims have links

quote:

McArdle made her entrée into media in 2001, when she started the blog Asymmetrical Information under the pseudonym Jane Galt (a reference, of course, to Ayn Rand’s arch-capitalist manifesto Atlas Shrugged). Her commentary, which included her scoffing at claims that the Iraq War would end up costing trillions (it’s estimated that the total cost of the war will exceed $6 trillion) and fantasizing about anti-war protesters being clubbed with two-by-fours, impressed the dullards at The Economist enough that they hired her to write for their website in 2003. In 2007, she moved to The Atlantic, where her very first column, titled “Don’t Panic,” downplayed fears of the recession that was to commence five months later. “So while I wouldn't say you should be exactly sanguine about the mess in the markets, it's not time to panic yet. Save that for the Yankees' pitching lineup,”

" Even with a fudge factor of 50%, that's $90b over the next six months, $180b a year. At that rate, assuming you do absolutely no discounting at all, it would take us over 10 years to get to $2t, thus meeting the "trillions" criteria. Which is madness.
"

well she got the cost roughly right at least.

and you know how much money she makes a year for writing absolute shite? i don't and i don't want to.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

we used the sink bowl/basin, which i suppose means the vomit was transferred to everything forever

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

bob cratchett was a frog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

CILST