Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

She fell in love with a girl, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Imagine being a historian and dumb enough to not understand that the Weimar Republic LEADS TO HITLER.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Is he like, trying to read it in modern day and going "UGH Harry Potter already did the chosen one trope!"

Also, who exactly is the Chosen One in the Lord of the Rings?

Because it sure as gently caress isn't Frodo, the guy who spends the last third of the story barely conscious and then when it comes to it can't do the one thing he was supposed to do.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Dolphin posted:

Joe Biden has lots more rapin' to do!

Hi, I'm Joe Biden and I might rape you!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Spergin Morlock posted:

europe gets to have ponies. canada has a pony. i want a pony too

Buddy...

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

When my country had a fascist government they didn’t make bread cost 10 bucks. They did steal all the food and shipped it out of the country causing mass starvation though.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Ahahah, it's exactly the argument for tasers except now it's drones.

Find a way to inflict slightly less violence in one go but also thereby make it easier and lower the threshold for inflicting violence and the net result is more violence every single loving time.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

cool dance moves posted:

So did Scalia. His dissent is one of my favorite legal opinions and everyone should read it

It's a paragraphs-long screed about how the :eek:GAY AGENDA:eek: is trying to use the legal system to enact its will without popular support. Then he tops it off by going "btw I'm not a homophobe, I just think these gays are undermining our democratic norms by asking the court to validate their rights"

Chief Justice Rehnquist and Thomas joined that dissent

Liberal darling Ginsberg was good personal friends with Scalia.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Here's a hot take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0uCrA7ePno

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Black lives are very important to the TASER business model.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Probably inspired Osama didn't he?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

More evidence that Biggie was a time traveler.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

*African states not actually sovereign, SOME RESTRICTIONS MAY APPLY

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

I think the 800s were even before Western European nobility were expected to be educated. From what I remember of the Saxon books by notable historian Bernard Cornwell, being literate isn't something every noble can do.

If you're a noble in 800 AD you probably have people to do the reading and writing for you.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Tulip posted:

It's a little bit of a smaller point but 800AD would be in the middle of the Carolignian Renaissance and if stuff like the Liber Manualis is anything to go by, literacy was pretty valued at this time and an illiterate noble would be at a significant disadvantage in terms of peer respect and political maneuvering.

Huh, I didn't know this expectation had spread to the nobles themselves by this time. Learned something.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Reminder the soldier who shot him was awarded the MVP by the other team

Decorating enemy soldiers for loving up is a pro-tier troll move tbh.

Necrothatcher posted:

have you ever been to auschwitz? it's very much not a tourist trap

TBH it very much felt like one going through the first entrance at first. That abruptly changes though, thankfully.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 07:32 on Jul 6, 2020

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

That's not the same thing though.

I'm thinking like, awarding an enemy officer an Order of Merit for leading his men into an ambush.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

He only crashed 4 US fighters, you need 5 downed to be an Ace. :pilot:

Keeping McCain captured was a tactical error by the North Vietnamese. Should've gotten him back in the air ASAP.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It has come up before that middle class white women are prone to going completely loving stir crazy and that's how we get wine moms, TERFs and Karens.

Has anyone ever speculated on why this is?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Chomsky very dearly believes that if only leftist ideals, positions and ideas could be calmly and rationally presented to people and honestly debated about then they would find widespread support and be adopted.

He also believes mass media, being capital owned, does not and can not allow this to happen. He's written at length on the mechanisms of how this is prevented from happening in practice. He correctly points out that opinion polling performed in neutral terms has long found widespread support for many leftist positions within the United States.

He believes that non-violent resistance is the only effective way forward to cause the institutions oppressing us to change, arguing that using violence is a losing proposition because those oppressive institutions have a much greater capacity for violence and can use their hold over the media to paint any usage of force by the left in the most negative possible light.

Lastly he believes freedom of speech is really the only bastion of hope the left has because it gives a chance of our ideas getting out there and spreading. If suppressing ideas we do not like becomes the norm, this will be used against us and we will be suppressed harder than we could ever suppress fascist ideas or whatever. So we should support freedom of speech on principle regardless of what it is used for.

I understand where he is coming from. I also think he is wrong. Capital is just as effective at suppressing and painting in a negative light non-violent resistance as it is violent resistance. And while capital might be more capable of violence than leftist activists or whatever the issue is that capital's use of violence is not contingent on our usage of violence. Capitals usage of violence is contingent on wanting to accumulate more capital, and having to destroy people's lives to do so. But it's the kind of violence that is contained in the stroke of a pen and which causes empty bellies and people sleeping in the street. The kind of violence that doesn't produce spectacle, which is easy to hide.

At the same time, what good is it to have freedom of speech if, through capital's effective propaganda machines, our message ultimately cannot spread anyway? While at the same time seeing this freedom be used to spread (sometimes much more effectively) just the most horrible loving bullshit? That's not to say we shouldn't have freedom of speech, but how free is speech if a billionaire can own a media conglomerate to amplify his interests? Or actually, if all media conglomerates ever are owned by billionaires sharing class interests? Basically it's all a sham, and it makes a mockery of his (admirable) principles.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Im sorry JK Rowling but you have to be disintegrated down to your base atoms. I don't want to do it, that's just what cancel culture means.

Why wouldn't you want to do it?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

What was the pre-war slave mortality rate like I wonder, while thoughtfully stroking my chin and masturbating.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Thread needs OSHA notices for scalding these last pages not going to lie.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I've known many workers who bring up Locke and Hume unprompted. Totally poo poo that happens all the time.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Ahh well, nevertheless.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Water, telco infra, government offices, skilled labour.

A list of naturally occuring resources.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The idea that people have common sense is spicy as gently caress.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Japanese racism is strictly rational, you see.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Doesn't Croft own a fuckoff huge victorian mansion with a butler? Seems pretty sus to me.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

when hillary was secretary of state we literally drone striked a teenage american citizen

Hillary personally oversaw a loving slave-house.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Goddamn his body wasn't even cold yet and they do him like this.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Labour adopted a definition of anti-semitism in which criticism of the state of Israel is anti-semitism. Straight up.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Prince Myshkin posted:

Especially funny because Downey got the second chances he did due to his Hollywood pedigree and help from his rich movie star friends to cover his insurance costs.

Also he makes poo poo movies.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Tulip posted:

what in tarnation

That is posted by a man who desperately wants to gently caress his cousin.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Plus he all but admits he's uncritical of the US, but at least that's not as bad as being uncritical of Russia and China, which the people he's talking to obviously must be, according to his idiot brain.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

Woke : the Cancelling is the new World of Darkness game

Every week one player is made to leave the game. It turns out the greatest monsters were humans all along.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Chapter 1: loving

Chapter 2: Genocide

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Marg bar the government of Amrika.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Spergin Morlock posted:

I want to open a bar and restaurant in the Los Angeles area simply called Marg Bar

I hear the bar and restaurant business is booming right now.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Well she implies Hillary worked out fine for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

loving nerds have to reach every loving conclusion the humanities have reached independently but by taking needlessly complicated detours and using computers.