Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I agree with the guy that slavery would have ended on its own but I might be biased since I don't think the US should ever have attacked the Confederacy in the first place.
The US was pursuing the clearest case of a castle doctrine defense, the war starting over the most literal attack on a castle possible in the US, as is the right of any free man/country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Zeris posted:

Jeet wipes his butt I bet, do you wish you could forego that as well
Permanent ghost wipes is like in the top 3 of super powers, you'd be crazy not to.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The perfect electoral system would be one with inversely proportional weighted voting, with the suffrage requirement of not being a landowner.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Al! posted:

but i guess if tony blair cared about iraqis he wouldn't have joined the united states illegal war of conquest against them just so he could be seen as a big boy prime minister
While the above is obviously why a lot of "leaders" joined Bush's war, Tony has made enough statements to make it obvious that he was a true believer in the cause, a righteous Catholic crusader bringing the light of God to the the long-suffering people of Iraq.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Plutonis posted:

He should be locked inside a cell in the Hague instead of doing interviews. At least Dubya knew better and just faded away.
Definitely. At least Corbyn is really into the idea too, so the possibility remains.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Powaqoatse posted:

loving why does a political party even say anything about anything that isnt a political issue?
Everything is political.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Plutonis posted:

lol @ people thinking the slave trade was ended not because of goodness of their hearts but because of the fact the brits didn''t needed it anymore and wanted to cripple their enemies' economy
Britain invented capitalism so it could end the slave trade. Such an amazing example of the power of the market.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

freckle posted:

where is the option to embrace juche thought?
A clear example of managed democracy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Powaqoatse posted:

you do know that gay weddingcakes have hateful antiheteronormative symbols though right

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mycroft Holmes posted:

tbf I’m pretty sure black people cant shoot lasers so it’s not a 1:1 comparison
On the other hand, in the consciousness of White America, black people have immense physical strength, speed, and stamina, plus near-immunity to pain. That's kind of low-level super hero stuff right there.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Serf posted:

you literally have to be your worst self to succeed in capitalism. those who sacrifice their bottom line anything else will get gobbled up by someone willing to do anything to succeed.
Survival of the shittiest

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

C. Everett Koop posted:

why would they never not be working? :confused:
Not enough customers in the middle of the night to justify the increased wear and tear of employees mucking about.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I thought this was about Farrage until I read the story.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

All the takes about Wakanda being an alt-right wet dream are correct.
It was obvious from the trailer really, which conflates reaction and revolution.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Dems are gonna cooperate with the republicans to call a constitutional convention and be surprised when guns aren't the only thing that gets changed
In a compromise solution, the Democrats decide how many people get their 2nd Amendment rights taken away - the Republicans who.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

idk what michelles original quote was but if we really have to have so many super hero movies, there should be more black heroes & at least "Michelle Obama says it's about time black kids have a superhero" is good imo. all the rest idk but its filtered so whateveeveever
It really has gone downhill since '97-'98, when 50% of superheroes were black.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I don't think praying is what pedophiles are gonna do if they're already on top of the underage girls.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Looked it up, it was "Facebook asks: Should we allow pedophiles to pray on underage girls for sex pics" - though they've now updated the headline to prey.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

He's clearly just trying to say that Hollywood still has a major issue with rape, and sexual assault in general, it just didn't come out right.

I don't see the problem? They're just preventing journalists from making the embarrassing assumption that a conference on free speech and freedom of the press would be pro-either.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Jose posted:

london has amazing public transport and is basically the only place in england that gets any money spent on it and the fuckers still moan all the time
8-9 times the per capita spending of Yorkshire and the Humber is clearly not being respectful to the great people of London.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There is, technically, such a thing as chemtrails and it's called cloudseeding. It was way too expensive to manipulate the weather on any big scale, but the Soviets did it to make sure they had good weather for military parades in Moscow.
Now I'm imagining rich people doing it to ensure perfect vacation weather, at the cost of ruined harvests and droughts.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

"Harmony" is a typically reactionary sentiment, because anybody could define a harmonious state however they want.

"Harmony" is the left side

fake edit: Just realized the word is literally on the left side.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

iajanus posted:

as usual, the word filter that turns "political correctness" into "treating people with respect" is fairly telling
Alternatively, the statement becomes good if you consider what truly is politically correct - rather than merely called politically correct.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Trump posting in the Trump thread about Trump would be final proof that reality is breaking down around us.
He would join if someone convinced him that we were exclusive, and didn't think he was good enough for our forum.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

LGD posted:

In all honestly, his closest competition might actually be HW Bush.
I was actually thinking just that. Not American though, so I might have missed something, but you basically don't hear anything about the guy. Plus his war was pretty defensible as far as American wars go.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

VectorSigma posted:

lol not only were we like the last modern nation to abolish slavery, we didn't really abolish it, only restructured it.
What is your definition of modern here?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's incredible that they never stop to think the same logic can apply to themselves. I know that on average black guys are way more likely to be killed by the cops, but there's several cases where seemingly unarmed white guys have killed cops with a concealed weapon, or overpowered them physically. Police aren't trained to make racial exceptions. Everything is a deadly threat to them.
They might not be trained to make racial exceptions, but they're for sure trained to make racial distinctions. Sure, their training seems to be "If in doubt about your safety, unload your weapons", but the threshold for that doubt is not the same across demographics.

Anyway, just replace that guy with some white woman lifting a car off her child to justify all violence done to women as being necessary and proportional.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Is there a Russian word for when you keep repeating the same Russian word again and again because it's the only bit of your purported professional "jargon" you know
If not, I'm sure there's a German one.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

large adult son posted:

this is like something out of the west wing, it's eerie how sorkin captured that whole idiotic atmosphere
I wonder how much was there in the first place, and how much is these people modelling their culture on the show.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The bottom line here is that bravery isn't a good in itself, and while it might be technically impressive in some sense that doesn't make it worthy of praise. "Heroic" struggle is distinct from mere bravery, in that it implies they were acting towards some kind of good. You're still giving way too much credit to Nazi apologia by entertaining any notion of Nazi heroism.
Well, the dude's Greek, and the Classical Greek hero does not have to be acting towards some kind of good - he merely has to show manly abilities beyond those of regular men.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Teal posted:

basically Stalin was a god?
Finally something we can all agree on.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

the bitcoin of weed posted:

these are all the same loving thing what in the world lol
Nah, they're not the same. White supremacy is merely turning back the clock within existing borders, whereas white separatism advocates the creation of a new mono-racial white state, and white nationalism would be the idea that all white people on Earth should be unified in a single state - in much the same way that for example German nationalism advocated the unification of all Germans within a single state. America is Prussia in this scenario.

Facebook is clearly anti-American, as evidenced by censoring only the racism that seeks to work within the current state.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the white supremacists and nationalists and separatists have not put nearly this much thought into defining themselves and the facebook document admits various groups use these terms interchangeably

https://twitter.com/jason_a_w/status/1000037361273651205
That's not surprising, American racism is extremely anti-intellectual - the product of a degenerate culture - unlike the scientifically rigorous nationalism of Europe

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Men crying all the time?
Men having beards?
Men banging men to avoid women?

Guess what, we're in a new Renaissance - we're going back to the birth of Western Democracy in Classical Greece.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Smirr posted:

How the gently caress is he not getting ratio'd to hell and back lol
Because Harry Potter is the most important literary work in human history, encompassing all humanity can be, from the highest high to the lowest low.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Plutonis posted:

China had "kill someone's entire extended family" as a punishment.
Hasn't China historically lurched between this sort of extreme punishment and surprisingly modern rehabilitative justice systems, over its "5000 years of unbroken history"? Not saying they weren't in the "Kill 'em all" phase during the Spanish Inquisition, but they might have been pretty decent for the time some decades earlier or later?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Trump is as evil as any past president. He just lacks the will and skill to act on most of his vile desires.
Having vile desires and choosing not to act on them is the opposite of evil though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's not necessarily a choice.
Sure, I was just going off the claim that he lacks the will.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

"some of them even supported Barack Obama"? Is he talking about himself in the third person?? I haven't seen the speech
Barack Obama is his skinsona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

obama built the freakin jails! the family separations are all trump but "unaccompanied minors" got to live in cages under the watchful eye of barack.
He didn't build those