Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
steak that has a crusty sear on the outside but is cool and raw on the inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
living in montreal was a dream for walking. It's such a compact city, and public transit is really good in comparison to other places I've lived.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

my hot take is I think Marie Kondo is a new front for Aleph

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
NBA Jam was a very formative experience for some of us okay

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

as always krang asks the important question:

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1103689251089248256

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
what is it about these weirdo media types who hate children and raising children

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Get Rid Of Slimy girlS

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

christmas boots posted:

I mean, you could extend some level of culpability to every catholic who tithes to the Church, but I see your point

do you want to hold all poor americans responsible for america's endless litany of war crimes? If you want to say yes, fair enough,otherwise I think a bit of discretion is warranted.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
yeah, an approach like someone writing Cerci instead of wanting to cancel the Odyssey is best imo

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Plutonis posted:

Hitler said the Japanese are honorary whites and hell, is there a bigger authority on that?

the whole Japanese conceptualization of what jewish people were pre ww2 was amazing

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
ive been offline a lot recently but the juxtaposition between people wringing their hands over perceived antisemite comments and the poo poo that jewish worker tweet got in response is stark

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

What in the sam hell?

nazbol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I think it depends on which country you're in. Some have legally protected "dietician" and some "nutritionist". Can't remember which.

in hospital in Canada the people I talked to were dieticians, but I always think of nutritionists being the non-quacks for some reason.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
rasputin is the bernie madoff of tsarist russia

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

love it when they assume "heritable" is always genetic.

i've become convinced that the flimsy justification for modern day race science pretty much hinges entirely on that particular definition of heritable, in spite of the entire field of biology operating with a different definition

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the expanse does politics better than got or any similar show.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Spergin Morlock posted:

that movie was odd. i was stoned when i watched it and did not understand anything at all

the movie was really good but man the parasites under the skin bothered the hell out of me

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
no. robert, hammer of the thots, has decided that poor people are stupid and inferior

there's something to be said for taking the actual selection of the party candidate back to the convention floor instead of using it as a space for a coronation but "internal party analytics" is a technocratic fever dream

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i can't imagine the hot takes from this if mainstream conservative media catch on to this: https://www.ravelry.com/content/no-trump

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

get that OUT of my face posted:

but in another sense, oppression isn't a game where you can claim the least amount of privilege, and that tweet feeds into class-blind idpol thought

the accusations of class-only analysis gets thrown around at anything remotely left-wing but I can't honestly remember the last time anyone's only engaged in class-based analysis that ignores other social dynamics and identities at work. I guess if it worked in the 60s when marxist theory was all the rage in academia, it'll work now when no one wants to think about class because then they'd have to acknowledge their own privilege and you can't do that in this game.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

why are people trying to kill mr. peanut

he's nuts

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Tulip posted:

I'm perfectly ok with people studying humour as a part of anthropology but it is 100% the least funny thing to study.

stewart lee's radio documentary about the Pueblo clowns is a better meditation on transgressive humour in different cultural contexts than anything these dumbasses could come up with

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
horse girls are truly terrifying

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Serf posted:

people want to appear lefty but also not give up anything to do so

the problem with revolutionary leftism in general

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Atrocious Joe posted:

the worst thing about twitter is that it encourages the most confrontational sort of interactions. there is a valid critique to be made of the song ignoring colonialism. but within the context of guthrie's career it seems like a bad faith interpretation to say that's the intent of the song rather than a probably unforeseen implication. it was written in the context of millions of people being displaced from the great plains and mass consolidation of farmland, so even for white people the myth of all that free land was pretty thoroughly killed at that point, as a bunch of the settler families were now just poor migrant workers.

if guthrie was alive today, or even still around for AIM's activities at Wounded Knee or Alcatraz, he'd probably add in something about the theft of the land originally.

the pro-slavery part is bullshit tho

twitter is the death of context

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The disconnect between the tech people who work on a platform and their understanding of the social consequences of their platform is always funny, although sometimes terrifying.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Dreddout posted:

There was a futurist movement in the ussr, but it deviated significantly from Italy's. In practice, soviet futurists tended to align itself with closer to constructivism. Less focused on machines and war, Soviet futurists opted to center dynamism of movement.

The good news. This meant that none of the soviet futurists, to my knowledge, were publicly fascists.

The bad news. Turns out to get the futurism we know and love requires a core of violent insanity. Which the soviets lacked. You don't get hot takes, such as "abolish musuems", "eating pasta is effete", or "kill everyone over 30" from people who center their worldview in materialism. Unfortunately

I'm too dumb and unfamiliar with futurism to make a really coherent point here but I feel there's some kind of irony in futurism emerging in previous generations and seemingly not the current one, unless you count silicon valley's techno-fetish libertarianism. "Easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism" etc.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kindest Forums User posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with liberals

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
it's pretty simple. much like how the memory of resistance in the second world war france would have us believe that every single French person was in the resistance, we've papered over the history of antisemtism in 20th century europe such that everyone thinks that jews as a whole were targeted from the start and not just those jews who had radical politics.

it's no coincidence that the perpetrator of the largest incident of antisemetic violence in the US in recent memory targeted a synagogue because of its politics

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 22:20 on Jul 30, 2019

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

He talks about goodfellas but not how a lot of that book is lifted directly, or nearly, from Wiseguys, a large portion of which is transcripts of Henry Hill the real person talking about his life

Like the entire last act, from his last day in the mob to the closing monologue, is lifted almost verbatim from the book, especially the voiceover

So yeah, it is about being seduced by power and violence. Because that's what happened to Henry Hill

sounds like a v. problematic oral history

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

why would you sign your death warrant like this

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the 'worst' ending of the game is also one of the better endings i've seen to a video game. also the 'best' ending. only dumb nerds like the ciri witcher ending.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
honestly his cowardice is kind of impressive, most people try to pretend they aren't cowards

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the singularity begins at home

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
blue collar social media posting all day

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
rural hatred is a time-honoured tradition in CanPol threads

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Tulip posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the conservative interpretation of "American Freedom, American Slavery"

It's been over a decade since I read that book but I remember it being extremely dry social history for 90% of it then a really great conclusion.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Tulip posted:

James Rice has a really good critique from a Native American history lens but it's a pretty great piece of American history even with that. I can't comment on how dry because I found the mortality charts riveting, I am not to be trusted on that front.

I was a 3rd year undergrad, if I re-read it after having gone through phd comps I'd probably also find it riveting. I should re-read it, honestly.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Hodgepodge posted:

joe rogan... good?

he's the only idw guy who will actually talk to demsocs and left-wingers and give them a huge platform so... yeah occasionally

when the only spectrum you can think of are autism and gender and you can't say the latter one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I've got to imagine that there's at least a few historical examples of prominent jewish capitalists agreeing with the idea that Bolshevism and Jewishness are inherently tied together or any of that nazi propaganda crap