Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Having the codes inside a dude just makes that dude a security liability because someone else can kill that dude too and then what, do you surgically implant another dude or are there backups? At what point does the president say "too many dudes are being killed, doctor, give me the code"

Like who authorizes the doctor that's tattooing these codes anyway? Just loving abscond with his surgical USB drives, wala

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I could imagine security through obscurity where there are like three different dudes on the president's body detail over the course of a week that are all "murder to nuke" flagged but our current president would absolutely out them on national TV/Twitter

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I know it's a reference but I don't remember to what, help

It's got to be the warriors but I don't remember it well enough

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

it is a reference to the warriors

Thanks

I felt out of touch for a minute there

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Area 51?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

In the comics he was trying to impress Death, who was a big titty skeleton lady.

They couldn't include that because Fox still owned Deadpool

See, Thanos tried to impress Death, but She found Deadpool to be more interesting.

So Thanos somehow cursed Deadpool to never die? It's odd at best.

stringless has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Sep 7, 2019

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Ah sorry I was confusing Titan with Gamora's home planet. I think that's the one Thanos said became healthy and good after he killed half the people (though admittedly you kinda have to take him at his word on that).

This might have already been covered in-thread but according to the human alien police in Guardians 1 she was the last of her species.

Plenty of fan-theories around as to why but it's more likely an oversight.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It's just rationalization, of course, since there are many gods to choose from and it might be worse to choose the wrong one than to abstain.

Hardly anyone considers Pascal's Wager 3D

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Diderot pointed this out, but I don't know of any religions other than (some forms of) Christianity that specifically stipulate that all non-believers go to hell. Obviously Zeus and Allah and Ahura Mazda would prefer you believed in them and played by their rules, but those faiths don't have ironclad rules that all-nonbelievers go to hell.

what if the texts weren't clear about that part because it wouldn't be a fair choice if you were pressured?

what if believing in the wrong god makes your heart heavier than a feather regardless of your morality?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Then, of course, you're hosed. To be clear, Pascal was a mathematician and philosopher, not a priest - he wasn't trying to actually get people to believe in God, he was using a radical example to both introduce and undermine a new way to think about how we make choices. He was aware that this is a strange, silly way to think about belief - that's the point

"What if God is in a box and may or may not be dead when you observe It" is a bit hilarious

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

quote:

The real problem with our time's capitalism right now is oligarchy. Oligarchs influence governments around the world to hinder the growth of those protections. And as I personally see it, there's a 50/50 chance it may become worse, or less severe in the next 100 years.
Wow, really getting risky on that bet.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

little munchkin posted:

standing on top of cubes to "trigger" my political enemies

do an image search for "holocaust memorial berlin"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

basically they're saying that if standing on the stone blocks is disrespectful, then so is... standing on top of American flags painted onto a pair of slippers
yeah, it's this

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The Asiatic soul: known for being inherently peaceful

No wars within Asia, nope

Two even lengths of wood: "perfected through aeons"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Read a different helicopter

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Pomp posted:

No living human has used hobo in the original meaning sincerely

sure they have. i've met several people that described their time doing just that as that.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

wow

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I enjoyed Aquaman.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

According to the cover (#21) it's Darick.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Checked further, Robertson has the illustrator credit on the credits page, no mention of Braun.

Cover by Robertson and Aviña, colorist I guess?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Well duh, PBR is the most blue collar beer.

Full disclosure: halfway through a pint of it

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I was feeling pretty good about my chances until #3 was a factor out of my control

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I guess he technically can't be a Republican if he's dead? Not sure how tense became an issue

Did I need to preface what I wrote with "As I was reading this," so as not to offend?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

if this is literally what someone believes, that would mean jewish people had a system of writing before discovering fire

among other dizzying implications

They usually go with Moses as writer of the Torah (despite the complications there) and Genesis 15:17 would at least imply the discovery of fire prior to Moses.

Fire hot, a bad snipe

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

lol yes, Sanders, notable for complete inactivity regarding anti-racism

Spicy

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

that first sentence isn't wrong but hot drat that's the best i've seen from Corridor Digital yet

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Let's just confiscate podcast subscribers above 10,000.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Goon Danton posted:

It's genuinely incredible how much his popular image changed after he started giving piles of money to every major media outlet.

A week or two ago I walked in on my roommate watching some new Bill Gates fluff piece and at the time I had choice things to bring up about how he's not great and on top of that he'd clearly paid for it to make him look good

And it wasn't even the association with Epstein but I don't remember what I brought up because there's too much now in general

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

what they always told us in sunday school was 6 million jews/6 million gentiles

perfectly balanced

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

what's the hot take besides the presumption of the existence of a left of center billionaire?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

yes, the assumption of the existence of a "left-of-center billionaire" is a hot take

even if one existed, you don't/can't/shouldn't form a theory of political power, or even just the field of mass media content creation, that revolves around the idea of a "benevolent billionaire" to control it, because A. that's still undemocratic, and B. the profit-motive ensures that whatever "good" you can squeeze out from your billionaire patron is going to turn on you when the chips are down

Maybe, but that clearly has already occurred and it's just a question of who defines "good"

Just calling it lukewarm

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

He's quoted in more than one WaPo article

quote:

In what New York magazine’s Jonathan Chait described as a “deranged, quasi-legal rant,” Cipollone ludicrously said the House inquiry “lacks any legitimate constitutional foundation.”

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Well based on the plot of Metal Gear Solid 5,

There was straight up an engineered "sinovirus" in some Clancy novel lol

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/bethlynch2020/status/1208142720419684355?s=21

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

so brave

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

they see "estrogen" in "phytoestrogen" and something snaps

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

They're right, I can't think of any hostile pieces about Trump, the Kochs, or the Bushes whatsoever!

Never heard of this Icahn guy though

"In February 2018, Icahn avoided a $6 million loss by selling down his holdings in a steel-price sensitive stock just days before the Trump administration announced a new 25% tariff to be imposed on steel imports."

Ah, there it is.

That $6 million loss would have represented about a 0.036% drop in his net worth from the year before.

stringless has issued a correction as of 08:40 on Jan 7, 2020

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Is "PMC" a reference to "politico-media complex"? That's the only thing I found that makes sense

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Its Chocolate posted:

the actual QoL sustainable with Earth's biocapacity (by taking the average global income and dividing that by how much we're overshooting) is the equivalent of an American making about $1500 per year. not per month, per year
hell of a thread to toss that one out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Also if you just average out gross world product per capita it breaks $17k/year so that's bad math at best

In fact the monthly GWP per capita is about $1500 so lol well done, idiot