Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

sounds like Jezebel but for black people instead of rich white feminists

that is exactly what it is and each features a link to the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Filthy Hans posted:

My sister was a Navy Master-At-Arms in Bahrain in the mid-aughts and some of what she told me made my head spin. A couple of times her relief simply didn't show up and she had to pull double shifts at base checkpoints. There was one dude she worked with who would just sit down and go to sleep, M4 by his side where anyone could grab it. She reported him and nothing was done, and when she confronted him he cursed her out and kept loafing, so one day she just took his gun and checked it in at the armory, thinking it would get him bounced out because that's supposed to be a huge offense; they made him an officer's driver instead.

the real lesson when an organization allows that kind of stuff to happen is that you too can not show up/sleep on the job/fail upwards and if your attitude toward that behavior is to tattle well then i guess

Agnostalgia posted:

your sister's a narc

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

that has nothing to do with correct terminology.

which no one but gun nuts care about either way

it speaks to exactly the same problem they have with reaching anyone not in their bubble which is they not only have no idea what's outside of their bubble but they also dont care and dont even bother pretending as though they do

they cannot imagine why their condescension doesnt result in acceptance of their superiority

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hackbunny posted:

If I remember my ancient history right, though, by then they had been lying in the coffin for a long time

They had been but Cerebral Bore is essentially correct. They had been trading land and citizenship to the Goths in return for military service until they decided they were going to go backsies and the Goths didn't take kindly.

Once they lost north Africa to the Vandals they were on borrowed time but they ended up collapsing on their own and Rome probably could've waited them out had they not hosed over the Goths.

They were doomed no matter what though due to climate change and plague coming within the century following collapse.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

that sounds like a Norm Macdonald bit and therefore I approve

e: this was in response to the terf post

honestly this

sounds like a steven wright joke

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and that they generally come from broken hosed up backgrounds

it's not particularly spicy to say that comedians are almost always profoundly damaged people

If you listen to the first 100 episodes of Marc Maron's WTF podcast where it was only comedians doing a friend a solid, it becomes quickly apparent that this abundantly true. Standup comedy self-selects for broken people and pretty much the only exceptions are modern ones who came up not through standup but through collaborative improv where you actually have to be able to work with others toward a common goal. Every decent human you can think of in comedy, like Colbert or Hartman, came up this way and it's not coincidence.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lol at the username/post combo

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Weird how Russiagate isn't on there

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I got my headboard from Wayfair am I a lizard person or how does this work?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Giga Gaia posted:

did you pay 10 grand for it and, more importantly, did it you expect it to be a child and not a headboard?

I paid about $200 and expected it to be sturdier. Now that I've read about it, it looks like I can count that as a win because if I was out a shitload of money AND some kid shows up, it's like what am I going to do? You know they won't take the kid back and refund my money and I still don't have a headboard, I'd have really been screwed then.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I just found out that guy is 26. It’s a lovely house, but imagine owning a house at 26.

I don't have to imagine, op

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

little munchkin posted:

yea there was a reason i chose the phrase "offer nothing" and not "don't talk to them".

You say democrats offer nothing but Hillary offered to take away their jobs and said it to their faces

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FFT posted:

hell even if i did i'd make sure the camera wasn't connected

and i'd use a completely different device if, as some suspect, the video was meant to be seen by someone else

basic compartmentalization, drat

It's hard to compartmentalize when you don't have boundaries

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

exmachina posted:

Communism requires an industrialized economy and is not that good at transitioning from a mostly agricultural economy.

This is certainly true.

Now please excuse me while I take a huge sip of coffee while reading about which country is the manufacturing center of the world and who it was who industrialized it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I was going to say I don't think we should ban cyclists from roads but we should allow cars to hit them without consequence and then I realized that's literally exactly the way it is.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Party Boat posted:

Yeah in the UK there's multiple instances of cyclists being killed by drivers who admitted to not paying attention and the worst they get is a minor fine and a brief driving ban. I assume the US is even worse.

It's the same except no driving ban and no fine. The punishment is that driver of the vehicle has to pay for his own repairs and clean the blood off since the cyclist is also usually uninsured.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I like that this is only a hot take if you take the perspective of a democrat who cannot conceive of a party that nominates people representative of its constituents

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

To be fair to Matt here, they couldn't be worse

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

if there was simultaneous primary, only the super well funded candidates like Bloomberg could afford to have organization and ads in every state. starting with smaller cheaper states like Iowa and New Hampshire is a huge advantage to insurgent candidates like bernie. they can be taken seriously after winning an early state

if every state had voted at the same time the 2008 nominee would have been Clinton and it wouldn’t have been close because she had more institutional support across the country

What I like about this post is that, like all the posts before it claiming the system doesn't work, it still relies on the correct belief that any system which allows Hillary Clinton to be the nominee is inherently broken.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

what does this post mean

Argument for primaries over months: This allows for nonestablishment candidates to build momentum and win, as it did when Obama beat Hillary in 2008.

Argument against: It allows time for the establishment to gently caress over candidates as it did when Hillary did to Bernie in 2016.

For both arguments the condition being strived toward is the prevention of a Hillary candidacy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yes, it's a hot take and yes, upon further review it might turn out to contain some "factual errors" but this line right here is maybe one of the funniest things I've ever read:

quote:

Asked why he did not cite any Korean sources in the paper, Ramseyer said he is “very upfront” about the fact that he does not read Korean.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What did they accomplish?

Using connections to circumvent democracy which is peak liberal

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

it's something I think most people realize happens but ... rubbing that poo poo in the faces of the people you explicitly hosed over in the process of the last vote, maybe that's not a great strategy for winning the next vote or any future ones idk

I think the point may be that if you're just going to do what you want regardless of the vote, you can poo poo all over the voters with impunity. Morons spend their time campaigning and electioneering, winners spend their time fixing elections and crafting tweets making fun of anyone still dumb enough to believe in democracy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah this works in primaries but not so great in the general elections, and that's spelled out pretty clearly in the tweet even though the author doesn't seem to realize it.

On the one hand you're right but on the other, the point is to laugh at leftists trying to achieve progressive change and let's face facts, no one the left can support will ever make it to the general election.

All of that having been said I'm not sure Harris has any real support anywhere outside of their bubble. Even they note that she failed to win any delegates and I can't imagine the suburban "light republicans" that dems have been courting find her any more appealing than the democratic primary voters who soundly rejected her. What makes it a hot take is acting like what was essentially an appointment is analogous to winning an election and that acting like a rigged primary is an indicator of popularity. Some serious HillaryIs44 energy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maybe it's just my constitution but today's takes are just too hot for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Public education is literally built around training children for factory jobs that they can't even access anymore

Exactly, but when republicans talk about dismantling public education everyone gets upset. You just can't win with some people!