Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should go #1 overall?
This poll is closed.
Nolan Patrick 7 12.50%
Nico Hischier 8 14.29%
Someone Else 2 3.57%
Edmonton Oilers 39 69.64%
Total: 56 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

T-Bone posted:

I think it's suspect at best to rate guys like Puljujarvi, Dubois, and Juolevi over Hischier or Patrick. Clearly neither is Matthews/Laine level but they're in the next tier.

I dunno how much it's changed, but a little while ago someone ran a pretty detailed comparison between Dubois and Patrick, and the verdict was that they were very close comparisons except Patrick was slightly worse and much more injured. Dubois was ranked 4th going into the draft last year, so "a slightly worse Dubois" lands fifth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I wanna add that after the Leafs decided to theme last year's draft on "large overagers," I'm not all too enthusiastic with what they'll do with their draft this year. At least they've been reliably good with their first pick, even during the dark years (except for Biggs gently caress that).

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

corn on the cop posted:

Pretty much. For every Gaudreau or Keller there's about a dozen more Tedenby's and Grimaldi's.

I think it depends on where in which draft you're taking someone. Yamamoto, like Grimaldi, is in a pretty not good draft, so the decision on drafting him isn't so much "is he likely to succeed" as it is "every player at this level is some sort of gamble so you might as well aim for serious upside." Like, it's usually not the small guy who scores being weighed against the big guy who scores, but more often the small guy who scores being weighed against the big guy who doesn't score.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

what the hell is going on in here?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Verviticus posted:

are mckeens the dumbasses that always rate the mega grinders in the top five or whatever

Pretty they're sure that Mike McLeod as high as #2 for a period last year.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Kilza posted:

Bob McKenzie released his final draft rankings, and he has Hischier over Patrick for 1st overall.

Bob's ranking is a poll of scouts so I think this is pretty telling.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

So, uh

http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/19689002/nhl-final-2017-mock-draft-featuring-all-31-picks-first-round

quote:

To reiterate, this is not my preference and ranking of various prospects. In fact, my opinion differs substantially on several players listed here. Rather, this is simply what I believe will happen on Friday based on discussions with scouts and executives all season.

Note that while there will be trades before and during the draft, the official mock draft rule book states that I don't include any of my own design here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This can be the draft GDT

A new thread is probably better

• Locked thread