Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

This semi-random, but I was looking through stuff to watch on my 7 free days of HBO coverage on my Amazon account, and I stumbled across Tarsem Singh's flick, The Cell. You probably know about this director mostly from being the guy who did the music video for REM's Losing My Religion (which is to date one of my all-time favorite music videos and i think one of the consensus best ones ever made by most everyone). I remember The Cell as something I caught bits and pieces of us when I was a kid in the early 00's when I still lived with my parents and having digital cable with many HBO channels was a super-awesome thing. It was like this crazy bizarre horror movie about J-Lo diving into a scary serial killers mind (D'onofrio of course) and it being full of these incredibly vivid tablaeu-like dream sequences. Moving paintings. Much more vibrant and vivid and er... less obvious than Lynch's,

If Lynch has a tendency to evoke or even outright ape Edward Hopper at times, then Tarsem Singh is doing the same thing in this movie with Giger and like Hirst and lots of other postmodern sickos (I use the tern lovingly). The TV show Hannibal definitely gets the prize for most blatantly ripping off Damien Hirst (if you get this then you get this) but I have to think he collaborated with them for that, or something.

Anyway, the really funny thing was, I sat down to watch The Cell just now, and the dead girl's body is found wrapped in plastic!! in the EXACT same manner as Laura Palmer was, and washed up on the bank of a river of course. I thought this may have been a coincidence, but then ;ole 10 minutes later the serial killer was aimlessly singing "mairzy doats" to himself in the bath, and I was like "okay break out the drat good coffee and the deer head already!" I knew the movie was gonna be similar to Lynch in style but I just am finding all the direct references/easter eggs (woolen ones) concerning Twin Peaks to be unnervingly great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That dude made The Fall, which is insanely good

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That dude made The Fall, which is insanely good

Agree, vehemently.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Cromulent posted:

Yes and I remember when he scratched his face with a trowel which had raspberry jam on the tip.

Yeah, I don't know if it's visible in SD but on the blu ray, you can see the "blood" on the tines way before he scratches himself.

People always talk about how Evelyn is a worthless character, but what about John Justice Wheeler? Every time I get to the point where he sings to Audrey I want to punch him in his stupid face.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
Billy Zane and Heather Graham suck rear end.

I love this show but late season two sucks rear end.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Fall is a fantastic, underrated movie. People always talk up the amazing visuals and say the story's poo poo but I love both, even if some parts are a bit too silly.

WATCH THE FALL

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Murderist posted:

Billy Zane owns. John Justice Wheeler does not.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
Hmm, you're probably right.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Heather Graham owns, sorry.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Heather Graham owns but I wish Coop had known her for more than 3 days before deciding he was willing to give up his soul to evil spirits for her

edit: Like I'm cool with him making that decision because hey it's your soul do it if you want but drat man slow down.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Murderist posted:

Late season 2 owns. It's mid season 2 that sucks.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I'm up to episode 18, the Richard/Linda note seems to have tear marks along one side. Is it the final missing page of Laura's diary? What even would be the implications if that's the case?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CJacobs posted:

Heather Graham owns but I wish Coop had known her for more than 3 days before deciding he was willing to give up his soul to evil spirits for her

edit: Like I'm cool with him making that decision because hey it's your soul do it if you want but drat man slow down.

The whole show had this weird time compression thing where the whole thing takes place in like a week but a lot of the events occur more as though the time it took between airings passed rather than the amount written into the story.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

cis autodrag posted:

The whole show had this weird time compression thing where the whole thing takes place in like a week but a lot of the events occur more as though the time it took between airings passed rather than the amount written into the story.

In the first episode that features Flannel Coop there's a throwaway line where Harry talks about how a whole lot has happened in two weeks or something like that and I do a double take every time.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

CJacobs posted:

In the first episode that features Flannel Coop there's a throwaway line where Harry talks about how a whole lot has happened in two weeks or something like that and I do a double take every time.

It's hilarious and I laugh my rear end off every time. I think the original series is basically a day per episode

...!
Oct 5, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Did he even save her? I don't recall her even being mentioned after "How's Annie? How's Annie?"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Doc Hayward says she's in critical condition in the hospital before doppelcoop gets up to ram his head into a mirror brush his teeth, and I don't think she's mentioned in S3 even once, so who knows.

edit: The last time she's seen is in Fire Walk With Me, but only in The Missing Pieces:

quote:

Later Annie was taken to the hospital wearing the ring that Laura Palmer and Teresa Banks were wearing on the nights they were killed. Her physical wounds were treated, but she was still in a trance. She repeated her message for Laura to the nurse attending to her (this time reversing the order of the names to "Laura and Dale"), though it was not clear if she knew who she was talking to. The nurse proceeded to steal Annie's ring, unaware of its importance.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Does Billy Zane own, though? Has he been in anything good other than Twin Peaks? Based off of Twin Peaks I'd say he sucks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Billy Zane was fantastically punchable in Titanic.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Billy Zane is the main villain of the first Kingdom Hearts game of all things and its amazing.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
He's great in Demon Knight.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I like him in Bowie's All the Madmen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb7Xdu7STx8&t=260s

and of course in Buddha of Suburbia

quote:

Day after, day after day, day after
Zane, Zane, Zane, Ouvre le chien
Day after day, day after
Zane, Zane, Zane, Ouvre le chien
Day after

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Just getting around to finishing up season 2 of Twin Peaks. I didn't realize Gordon Cole being incredibly horny was a thing that has been worked into the show since the 90s.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

kaworu posted:

Excuse me that's "magick" not "magic". We're talkin' bout Alestier Crowley and Jack Parsons kinda poo poo. And I wish we didn't have to go down this road but I wasn't the one who made Diane look like a dead ringer for The Scarlet Woman in Anger's Pleasure Dome. That's pretty goddamn direct, especially considering how much Lynch (rightfully) loves and respects Anger's films and (probably) cites him as one of his most absolute influential directors.

I mean, like, not to knock Lynch because he definitely refined a lot of Anger's ideas and placed a lot of his own experimental/symbolic imagery in the context of a more conventional narrative, particularly in his breakthrough film (Eraserhead obviously). But still, it's pretty significant that Anger was making incredible work in the freaking 1940s and '50s that was insanely ahead of its time. It is not unreasonable to call him the father of both independent cinema and gay cinema in America. But it's unfair to limit his significance to just one country, given that Truffaut and Godard probably wouldn't have made the films they did if it weren't for Kenneth Anger, who was friends with both of them.

The thing about Anger is that, when I finally sat down and watched some of his work (which is admittedly something I would recommend to people who are already used to experimental films) I found myself extremely engaged, and also... Really, really disconcerted. That's the biggest thing that Lynch picked up from Anger's films, if you ask me - this ability to truly unnerve the viewer in one manner or another.

Anger was a part of that whole crazy loving occultist scene in LA back then, too. God knows the kinda scary poo poo someone like him has actually seen in his life over the last 70+ years. He's like 90 now and still very much alive and lucid.

I think the biggest contribution Anger made was making experimental films that were incredibly well-made. Even Fireworks, something he made over a weekend, has some incredible lighting and camera work - not just for being the work of a teenager. That probably made an impact on Lynch, since part of his style is making every single shot look amazing. Consider that so many other films made in the 70s for about the same cost of Eraserhead look like complete dogshit.

But yeah... I'd recommend watching Scorpio Rising and Blue Velvet back-to-back.

As for other influences, anyone who's a fan of this season of Twin Peaks should see the Jacques Tati film Playtime.

(Also, The Fall is awesome and worth seeing.)

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Thank you, thread, for making me educate myself on Kenneth Anger.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Egbert Souse posted:

As for other influences, anyone who's a fan of this season of Twin Peaks should see the Jacques Tati film Playtime.

(Also, The Fall is awesome and worth seeing.)

Yeah, Dougie is basically in a Tati film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS6pwQqSY70

(The Fall is awesome. A simple story told well, and it's so utterly gorgeous.)

While looking for answers, I also decided to make a thing. Editing is not my strong suit. You have been warned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IMukacpYho

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

Judy is a both metaphorical and literal manifestation of the violence descending from Sarah's knowledge of Leland/Laura in the same way that Bob is a both literal and metaphorical manifestation of sexual abuse and all the cycles implicit right? Sarah created Judy the same way Leland's past abuse created Bob but they also existed before that and outside of that because It's all self beggeting. Linear time not mattering and all

Sounds good to me. I'm glad I solved it, hell

You joke but you just displayed a greater understanding of the underlying metaphysics than most of the thread.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

:thunk:

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Regarde Aduck posted:

You joke but you just displayed a greater understanding of the underlying metaphysics than most of the thread.

It is only a joke syntactically

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

WATCH THE FALL

For reals. Watching it on a whim was a most pleasant surprise.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Regarde Aduck posted:

The big issue with that reading is that somehow Sarah is ultimately responsible for what Leland did because Judy birthed Bob. I'm not down with that for a number of obvious reasons I can unpack if anyone really doesn't see it.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Big grey thing birthed Bob, I dunno, ain't no nametag on it

What I mean is people aren't providing evidence that Judy and the mother are actually the same, or that Judy has any direct representation within the show that isn't based on supposition, and are eager to jump to conclusions to straighten everything into a cohesive narrative rather than one of emotive impulse which plays themes

Gambit from the X-Men fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 25, 2017

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Judy was the ceiling fan.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Malcolm Excellent posted:

It was a v. ominous spinning.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Can you guys PLEASE stop talking about creepy ceiling fans?

I'm about to move into a new apartment on the other side of town and it is PERFECT everything about it is great - location, price, etc. I move in literally in like 9 days which is freaking me out a bit.

Anyway it's only a 1-bedroom with two main rooms (living room/bedroom) besides the kitchen and bathroom, and that's well and good. But centered on the ceiling in both the bedroom and the living room are goddamn CEILING FANS :psyduck:

Normally this would be a great thing especially since I'm the sort of person who lives in northern New England and still runs his air conditioner continuously all night from April through October and rarely if ever turns the heat on in the winter, so air circulation is way cool! And it could be worse, I guess. But it's the ONE thing that really unnerves and I'm going to be REALLY grateful for the presence of my faithful kitty cat when I spend my first night alone there - somehow it fee=els impossible to feel truly frightened or scared with a cat at one's side. And first nights alone in a new place are always a little creepy!

Ceiling fans. Why'd it have to be ceiling fans?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

Big grey thing birthed Bob, I dunno, ain't no nametag on it

What I mean is people aren't providing evidence that Judy and the mother are actually the same, or that Judy has any direct representation within the show that isn't based on supposition, and are eager to jump to conclusions to straighten everything into a cohesive narrative rather than one of emotive impulse which plays themes

I think the show couldn't be more explicit about it without directly telling us.

There is a thing that the doppelganger wants, and it looks like the mother. The Fireman tells Cooper "It is in our house now." The thing we see escape from a glass box looks a lot like the mother. Further indications that the mother has an influence on the world is the repeated depiction of vomiting. Billy comes into some girl's home and pukes blood into her sink. A girl is sick, and starts barfing like she's Linda Blair.

Later, the Fireman adds: “It all cannot be said aloud now”. Over the course of the show we are presented with a world that's out of control. People attempt to solve their problems, but they don't really understand what's going wrong. I've never seen a show in which so many people constantly announce how confused they are. The thing these people are looking for is Jowday aka

Vikar Jerome posted:

or rather jiāo dài, the chinese meaning for "to explain" and "to make clear"

When Hawk is asked what the mother symbol means he says: "You don't ever want to know about that." Understanding Judy means losing yourself. Look what happened to Phillip Jeffries. When Cooper finally arrives in Twin Peaks, he straight up ignores Bobby when he asks for an explanation. Knowing about Judy endangers you, and therefore it cannot be said aloud anymore.

kaworu posted:

Ceiling fans. Why'd it have to be ceiling fans?

When it comes to ceiling fans, I'm a big fan.

edit: Thinking about it some more, Mr. C actually does seem to know that Judy is the thing on the playing card. He asks Phillip Jeffries "Who is Judy?", but I think he means "Who is possessed by Judy?", which would be Sarah Palmer. Surely, he knows that the mother has escaped, seeing as it was his box. Note also that he is at first intended to end up at Sarah's house, before the Fireman changes his destination. Phillip is the only one who gives him the correct coordinates because he genuinely confuses him with Cooper.

And More fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 25, 2017

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Showing the original series to a friend of my girlfriend and picturing Sarah as the Big Bad doesn't really work. Why would she be upset if Laura were dead since Laura could "defeat" Judy?

Also it feels kind of sloppy that the season 1 and 2 main bad guy, the season 3 oh this is the real evil *and* the savior are all the same family in the same house even though the murders and such had been happening long before Laura was even born.

Though in general I know Lynch never wanted the killed revealed, so I wonder how much of early season 1 really is just us reading in to things too much.

Also had coincidentally seen West Side Story during the same visit. It has both Russ Tamblyn (Dr. Jacoby/Dr. Amp / Riff) *and* Richard Beymer (Benjamin Horne / Tony). I knew about the former, but not the latter.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think anyone thinks that Sarah is literally Judy, only that Judy has inhabited her in much the same way that Bob inhabited Leland. The Palmer house is clearly some kind of nexus for dark spirits, so it makes sense that all of the inhabitants would be tormented and used by them. The fact that Leland is the killer was always kind of a red herring, since the real killer (Bob) was revealed in a dream in the second episode.

I did a complete series and FWWM rewatch before season 3, and as soon as it ended, I did another complete series + FWWM + season 3 rewatch and found it to be quite cohesive, especially if you only look at the Lynch-directed episodes. The other episodes are still great of course, but the Lynch episodes and season 3 have a much more abstract sub-narrative portrayed through sound and imagery, on top of the direct narrative.

I mentioned it before, but if you watch Cooper's first dream in episode 2 of season 1 (directed by Lynch), you see and hear many things that FWWM and season 3 bring to the forefront: It's 25 years later and Cooper is old, we hear a slowed-down clip of Sarah yelling "Laura" repeatedly as the Arm vibrates, then we see her running down the stairs under the ceiling fan (with the pulsing sound of the ceiling fan in the background), with flashes of electricity, and then Mike starts talking about living above a convenience store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guwl1w0yFGk&t=20s

I was also watching the ending of the original pilot, where there's a conclusive end to the Bob narrative, and noticed that the hum makes an appearance in the scene with Bob in the basement of the hospital. As soon as the hum starts up, Bob notices it and says "Mike, can you hear me?" Not exactly canon, but it's a pretty explicit indicator of what Lynch intended to represent with the hum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLrwVk7ywqo&t=325s

Volte fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ceiling fans own unless you're a tall person prone to extravagant hand gestures