Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The best Earle moment is the horse costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I guess it's not so much that all these plots are dumb as such, but that most of the characters in them were previously involved in other plots that were a lot more engaging, and it all comes down to resolving Laura's murder and removing the show's central mystery again.

This is probably gonna show a lack of attention on my part, but who shot Cooper at the end of S1, anyway? I must have missed where they come back to that. Which, uh, they did, right?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Josie shot Cooper. IIRC she was worried that he would catch on to the shenanigans with the Sawmill.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Raxivace posted:

Josie shot Cooper. IIRC she was worried that he would catch on to the shenanigans with the Sawmill.

The biggest twist of all being no one gave a poo poo about the sawmill. Neither the characters nor the audience.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

The original Earle dialogue in the script for the final episode is so drat awful. It came close to being the ultimate wet fart ending to a show that had fallen completely apart. Thank god Lynch came back and threw most of that poo poo out.

Is the script easily available anywhere?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Elias_Maluco posted:

The mayor and his brother plot is so irrelevant I had completely forgotten about it, had to look it up now

The Mayor's brother is one of the most important characters in all of Twin Peaks.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
According to the book that came out 25 years after the series.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Flyinglemur posted:

According to the book that came out 25 years after the series.

When I was reading the book, I kept wondering who this guy was and when I looked it up I was like “I....vaguely remember this?” But hey, it means another rewatch so win win.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

The Senator Giroux posted:

When I was reading the book, I kept wondering who this guy was and when I looked it up I was like “I....vaguely remember this?” But hey, it means another rewatch so win win.

I had the same reaction. Luckily one of my buddies was watching through for the first time and we watched a couple episodes together and it clicked.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Windom Earle has a mind like a diamond.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Yeah I picked a good time to ask, right before watching the episode where they pick that back up. :v:

And you know what, it's a really good one. In fact, it's kinda turned me around on this phase of season 2 - it's totally worth it sitting through the B-plots just to see Diane Keaton, of all people, come in and turn the goofiness up to 11 to wrap them all up. She really gets it, and I wish she'd directed more episodes, cause this is one of the best in the show.

In a way, season 2 is like having three seasons the length of season 1. Season 2.1 is 9 episodes on wrapping up the mystery of Laura's murder, for better or worse, 2.2 is 6 episodes of fairly aimless rambling with a pretty great wrapup, and now there's 2.3, with 7 more episodes about... I can't even remember, to be honest. But I sure remember how it ends.

So what's with the mayor's brother? I'm not really interested in getting into the books.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In The Secret History at least, he was basically Fox Mulder as a World War II veteran. He even gets tangled up in the Roswell, New Mexico shenanigans and eventually ends up as a part of Project Blue Book. He worked under Nixon for a while and is retired by time the TV show begins.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

happy twin peaks day everyone. I will be celebrating by rewatching the entire show + movie front to back in a single sitting. or well maybe I'll just watch the pilot or something

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Everyone from twin peaks is in wild at heart, and it rules. Wild at heart is a great fuckin movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

hawowanlawow posted:

Everyone from twin peaks is in wild at heart, and it rules. Wild at heart is a great fuckin movie.
What if Nic Cage had played Cooper?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan...90%7Ctwterm%5E2

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Windom Earle has a mind like a diamond.

Inanimate carbon?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Is the script easily available anywhere?

Yeah.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

-

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 25, 2018

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Elias_Maluco posted:

Jamie side plot is at the same time dumb, serious, annoying and way too long. By far the worst of all, imho

James' storyline is abysmal and yet still only the second worst. Y'all forgot about Little Nicky.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

regulargonzalez posted:

James' storyline is abysmal and yet still only the second worst. Y'all forgot about Little Nicky.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

was making this for fun then finished it when I realised it was MacLachlan's birthday and Twin Peaks day this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DStzx3hptWc&hd=1

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

regulargonzalez posted:

Yeah, exactly. I completely forgot about Little Nicky just as I had forgotten all about the mayor brother plot. They are bad, but forgettable

Jamie' plot with the wife is so bad and made me so mad I just cant forget about it, I remember it all, all the little details, all the boredom and annoyance I felt

Im was so happy that in The Return Jamie is a total loser and is only there to introduce us to the awesome glove kid

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Little Nicky is awful but Andy and Dick rule so that plot's ok.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

handsome only face posted:

was making this for fun then finished it when I realised it was MacLachlan's birthday and Twin Peaks day this week.

This is goddamn high art

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

S2E16: I think I want the goofy storylines back.

e: at E17 and I might seriously skip to the finale here. Earle's disguises are dumb and John Justice Wheeler is dumb and the pine weasel is dumb.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 26, 2018

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My Lovely Horse posted:

S2E16: I think I want the goofy storylines back.

e: at E17 and I might seriously skip to the finale here. Earle's disguises are dumb and John Justice Wheeler is dumb and the pine weasel is dumb.

The pine weasel is a creature of love and joy.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

handsome only face posted:

This is really pretty great. Great song (had never heard this cover before but it suits this material to a T) and it... really evoked season 3 for me in a meaningful way. That is to say, watching this gave me a visceral reaction; the part with the mirror was especially good as was the beginning with all the sitting postures of Maclachlan shot from different angles and as different characters edited together.

A good original music video like this should evoke the original content (Twin Peaks S3 here) and make you want to watch it again, while staying within the spirit of that content and not cheapening it or turning it into something else. Plus a certain level of professionalism and skill on display.

Normally I never watch these kinds of things because they pretty much never live up to those standards... but yours did :stare: I'm honestly a bit awed.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 27, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

E18: Show's going all Indiana Jones on me all of a sudden. I believe this the first official occurrence of the symbol on the green ring. Briefly wondered why Hawk tells the sheriff "you don't ever want to know about that" in S3 when they were both right there in the cave, then remembered that wasn't Harry, which I guess speaks for Robert Forster?

Storylines are getting weirdly tolerable, maybe I'm just getting desensitized, but compared to the intrigue of season 1 and early season 2, every familiar character still feels like they're being wasted. James did good to get out of there. I keep expecting Windom Earle to tie one of those girls to the railroad tracks. Was he at least a mysterious charismatic villain in the context of the early 90s or did he pretty much fail to live up to expectations then already?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

My Lovely Horse posted:

E18: Show's going all Indiana Jones on me all of a sudden. I believe this the first official occurrence of the symbol on the green ring. Briefly wondered why Hawk tells the sheriff "you don't ever want to know about that" in S3 when they were both right there in the cave, then remembered that wasn't Harry, which I guess speaks for Robert Forster?

Storylines are getting weirdly tolerable, maybe I'm just getting desensitized, but compared to the intrigue of season 1 and early season 2, every familiar character still feels like they're being wasted. James did good to get out of there. I keep expecting Windom Earle to tie one of those girls to the railroad tracks. Was he at least a mysterious charismatic villain in the context of the early 90s or did he pretty much fail to live up to expectations then already?

Mostly the latter

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Figures.

One thing I do enjoy is Donna's consistent gimmick of a late-bloomer teen detective who keeps finding out stuff that she really should have left alone. They should have involved her in the lodge investigations as a capstone.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Chrysta Bell did a Q&A and as a result of it removed a paywall temporarily on this blog post about Miguel Ferrer
https://chrystabell.com/how-working-with-miguel-ferrer-made-me-a-better-actor/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That brought up a lot of emotions for me, some about Miguel but also just reminding how good The Return was, and the sacrifices people made to be in it, and how it completely paid off.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

That brought up a lot of emotions for me, some about Miguel but also just reminding how good The Return was, and the sacrifices people made to be in it, and how it completely paid off.

I totally feel the same way.

It reminded just how incredibly... special that entire season truly was. The fact that it exists at all in the first place, for one. The fact that it was one of those incredibly rare things where it did feel cosmically aligned. It was 25 years later in the show, 25 years later (more or less) in real life, and all the returning actors were still perfect for their characters, and because Lynch directed everything there was a sort of internal rhyrhm to the episodes; a narrative promise from Lynch, because we knew he was going to wrap up certain things and maybe resolve or introduce some unexpected things, but we didn't know how. I liked how the end us brought us back to the beginning/the center of the story and then moved beyond that in episode 18.

I have to say that I've yet to do a full rewatch yet. I want to gain about a year's distance from the material because when I do a rewatch it will have to be a FULL rewatch - seasons 1-2 and FWWM + missing pieces and then Season 3. I'm almost frightened though, because season 3 evoked so many intensely felt emotions and feelings within me that were linked to FWWM.

It was actually very odd in a way... Season 3 did not really, truly deal as explicitly or directly as FWWM did with the *core* of the series in my opinion, that core being the abuse inflicted upon Laura both by others and by herself. You know, to me FWWM was like a lens that transformed all the great parts of Twin Peaks that came before it, and cast it in this deeply human and tragic light that, to me, is a huge reason why the Pilot and the original series (up to *that point* and plus the finale...) always remained so poignant and timeless.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

E19 which means I'm coming up on the gold set's last DVD (with episodes), feeling the lure of the finale, and I'm honestly not sure what the two episodes before could add to the plotlines. Feels like all the pieces are on the board already.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well, I made one final push, and I'm through. Was a bit rough going towards the end, I don't mind telling you. I strongly disliked the goofy mid-S2 storylines while they were going on, but in retrospect and in light of their wrapup, I'd much rather have them than 6 episodes of pageant setup. Lynch's finale was obviously great, but special mention has to go to Sarah Palmer giving Major Briggs a message from out of the Lodge. Did that gain a new layer of meaning or what.

e: oh and also, when Coop's doppelgänger wakes up at the end, we only see him for a minute or two, but even then MacLachlan gives him exactly the same cold stoic demeanor he does in The Return.

I don't have any big end-of-project statements to make, I did that all over the course of the past few weeks, and anyway it's Twin Peaks, we all know how it goes. I'm also not gonna jump right into The Return and I don't think I'll post much about it when I do because again, I did that along with everyone else when it was going on last year.

But there is one thing left. I've never actually seen Fire Walk With Me.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 4, 2018

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

But there is one thing left. I've never actually seen Fire Walk With Me.

oh my god watch it immediately

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
You don't know Laura until you watch fwwm

You don't know Bob until you watch fwwm

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Also, be sure to watch Missing Pieces after FWWM too (since I'm assuming you haven't seen that either).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I think I've finally gotten to a point where I don't think about the S3 ending every single day.