Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

My Lovely Horse posted:

I actually recommended Legion to anyone who's jonesing for a David Lynch fix earlier in the thread, and I'd like to take this opportunity to uphold the recommendation! Still have to finish S2, though.

The trouble with the concept of Lynch adapting comics is that few comics worth adapting (purely in an economical sense here) seem to correspond to his themes and style.

I'm sorry, I can't remember things like that :(

We watched the last 9 episodes in a row and it made so much more sense than what the Legion thread experienced on a weekly basis. You're doing it right is what I'm saying :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I actually recommended Legion to anyone who's jonesing for a David Lynch fix earlier in the thread, and I'd like to take this opportunity to uphold the recommendation! Still have to finish S2, though.

The trouble with the concept of Lynch adapting comics is that few comics worth adapting (purely in an economical sense here) seem to correspond to his themes and style.

Flex Mentallo adapted by David Lynch would be great except that it’s already great without being a movie, and I’d rather see original ideas in Lynch movie.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Morrison/Moore would actually be done justice by Lynch imo

I haven’t finished reading it but a Lynchian From Hell would be ~my fuckin jam~

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

See on the one hand yes but on the other a lot of Morrison's stuff is too manic and over the top for a director who likes coffee and cigarettes and diners and smalltown Americana.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Kilometers Davis posted:

Morrison/Moore would actually be done justice by Lynch imo

I haven’t finished reading it but a Lynchian From Hell would be ~my fuckin jam~

Terry Gilliam wanted to do a Watchmen Tv Show at some point, and Moore talked him out of it.

How about some Jodorowsky comics like Incal or the Bouncer?

edit: I’ve recently watched The Straight Story. It might just be the most Lynchian film he’s ever made. Just an insanely old man driving slowly on a road to meet his equally old brother.

And More fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 31, 2018

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't really see Morrison and Lynch being all that compatible. Lynch and Moore though...

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I feel like Lynch works better with a contrast than he does with complimentary material. I don't want to see him doing already Lynchian material, I would rather see him do something more mainstream and do it to it. David Lynch's Batman for instance.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I desperately want Lynch to direct an episode of Star Trek.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

HD DAD posted:

I desperately want Lynch to direct an episode of Star Trek.

Disney should give him a Star War to make up for him turning down ROTJ

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Disney should give him a Star War to make up for him turning down ROTJ

Porkins: A Star Wars Story

Cut to: Store after closing time. Porkins sweeps the floor, camera stays on him for 27 seconds exactly. His elbow bumps into a shelf and he turns around to see that he has knocked a Power Converter off the shelf. As he bends down to touch it, Yoda appears as if a dream and the Canteena Band plays their theme music, but backwards.

Deus Ex Macklemore fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 31, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Really I just want an hour long video of Lynch and Moore sitting down and talking about magic and life and art. My nerd hype would be disgusting.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
i want lynch to do one of the comedies he keeps writing scripts for that never get made

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
I feel like an Incal adaptation by American media would wind up exactly like the live action Aeon Flux movie and kill anything interesting about the setting. Lynch directing it with a solid budget woild be amazing, but it would more likely be given to JJ Abrams and come out bland as hell.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Your Parents posted:

i want lynch to do one of the comedies he keeps writing scripts for that never get made

Watch “on the air” and report back.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I just want to see Lynch do more original movies and/or shows before he gets too old and can't anymore.
(Also season 4)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's really powerful the show ended this way. Just rewatching clips of the Missing Pieces really reinforces the idea that the entire point of Twin Peaks is for Laura Palmer to reconcile herself with the violence and abuse that she suffered during her life.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Subjective reality is poo poo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I hadn’t seen the final scene in a while and I think it’s interesting how much the scream feels like a forceful outward “attack” vs a reaction to everything happening. I’m sure I could word that better.

I guess it always was like that but :shrug:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I wanna see Lynch adapt 100 Bullets for TV

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

jit bull transpile posted:

I wanna see Lynch adapt 100 Bullets for TV

Isn't this the premise of the mulhholand dr?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I love synthwave and I love Twin Peaks so I have no idea how I never heard about this before but

https://retropromenade.bandcamp.com/album/the-next-peak-vol-i-twin-peaks-tribute
https://retropromenade.bandcamp.com/album/the-next-peak-vol-ii-twin-peaks-tribute
https://retropromenade.bandcamp.com/album/the-next-peak-vol-iii-twin-peaks-tribute

This might be old news though

Basticle fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 9, 2018

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018
Is there a midget in the new twin peaks? Trying to figure out if it's worth watching.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

jerk irl posted:

Is there a midget in the new twin peaks? Trying to figure out if it's worth watching.

Yes there is.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

jerk irl posted:

Turns out the old one was schizophrenic or something, but the new one is pretty cool.

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018
bah. I liked the old one.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

This is awesome and I had totally missed it so cheers

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
there’s a new one in a couple of shots of episode 1 but yeah the old one is a tree now

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

It's really powerful the show ended this way. Just rewatching clips of the Missing Pieces really reinforces the idea that the entire point of Twin Peaks is for Laura Palmer to reconcile herself with the violence and abuse that she suffered during her life.

I think Season 3 also makes that final scene in Fire Walk With Me retroactively even more soul crushing than it was before. Before the new season I know it was common for people to have a more bittersweet reading of that scene, that Laura had been "saved" and she was crying tears of joy because she could finally move on from the Black Lodge.

I never read it that way. I think she's laughing because her life was absurd, and there's nothing for it but to laugh. What kind of caring universe could possibly allow such things to happen to an innocent girl? And Cooper knows he has nothing to offer to make it better, all he can do is be there with her.

I think we now know from Season 3 that Laura has not been able to move on, she is still stuck. The wrongness that has festered in Twin Peaks and ruined her life has not yet been exorcised.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Man, that is a lot different than what I thought happened. The white light and beautific music made me think she was transcending to heaven.

Which makes Cooper ripping her away into his nether world even more sad.

But good read!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

Man, that is a lot different than what I thought happened. The white light and beautific music made me think she was transcending to heaven.

Yea that was definitely a popular reading at the time, but I can't really reconcile that with what we saw of Laura in Season 3.

I think the truth might be a bit of both actually. Like, she IS happy because Cooper is there, she sees him as like her guardian angel. But it's ultimately hollow because what can he really do? And he knows it, he has an utterly defeated look on his face but I guess he just hasn't embraced the absurdity of it the way Laura has.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 9, 2018

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

there’s a new one in a couple of shots of episode 1 but yeah the old one is a tree now

This guy forgot about Ike the spike.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh poo poo. I’m legitimately embarrassed :(

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Protector 101 - Night Owls (The Pink Room Remix) on vol2 is some good poo poo holy moly

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

fullroundaction posted:

Protector 101 - Night Owls (The Pink Room Remix) on vol2 is some good poo poo holy moly

20SIX Hundred feat. Lucy Black - Into the Night is far and away my favorite, but yeah that ones good too. Theres more than a few which are kinda meh but overall I love the collection.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
David Lynch could make a really great adaptation of the classic arcade game ALTERED BEAST.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Basebf555 posted:

I never read it that way. I think she's laughing because her life was absurd, and there's nothing for it but to laugh. What kind of caring universe could possibly allow such things to happen to an innocent girl? And Cooper knows he has nothing to offer to make it better, all he can do is be there with her.

I thought she was crying because she saw the protecting angel that disappeared from her painting and was simply struck by its beauty. But the whole thing was just a bit of conjuring for her benefit. It's like a moment of incredible beauty in darkness and it moves her.

I don't think it was supposed to be super dark, just sad.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Malcolm Excellent posted:

David Lynch could make a really great adaptation of the classic arcade game ALTERED BEAST.

See now you say this http://www.thecityofabsurdity.com/midway.html but do you want this

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I was at the local Barnes and Noble today and saw the Secret History in the Cheap Books section for $7. If anyone is interested.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I mean, it's still $7 if you AREN'T interested. The price is not dependent on your interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Holy poo poo that is awesome.
Wow. What a show.