Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrE9PHsbCXA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
David. What happened to the woodpeckers?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

eSporks posted:

His biography doesn't mention it at all, he was a pretty dork in highschool and wore suit jackets all the time. In college he was in a relationship and pretty much stayed in one (different ones) for the rest of his life. I don't really get the sense from his book that he was that type, but I dunno.

Room to Dream makes him look like a real ladies man. There is an enire passage devoted to his fascination with wild, erotic women or something like that. During the Eraserhead shoot the mother of his wife comes to visit and reports: "All the girls on set are in love with David." He also cheats on one of his wives with some actress whose name I forgot, and later drops her when he gets bored.

By the way, Sherilyn Fenn starred in a movie called Meridian: Kiss of the Beast alongside an actress named Charlie. In this movie, she and Charlie are raped by two twin magicians who turn into werewolves. Charlie later played an extra in the third episode of Twin Peaks. Probably a coincidence.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

And More posted:

Room to Dream makes him look like a real ladies man. There is an enire passage devoted to his fascination with wild, erotic women or something like that. During the Eraserhead shoot the mother of his wife comes to visit and reports: "All the girls on set are in love with David." He also cheats on one of his wives with some actress whose name I forgot, and later drops her when he gets bored.
Yeah, he kinda comes across as a poo poo husband and a poo poo father, but a good friend.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Yeah, he kinda comes across as a poo poo husband and a poo poo father, but a good friend.

This is honestly kind of true of a lot of brilliant artists - it's sort of one of those things. Many of them can be good people and they are certainly brilliant, but they often are not the sort of people whom you'd want in your immediate family...

My uncle is a conceptual artist (Dan Graham - there's a much higher likelihood of someone knowing who he is in this thread) and while he is absolutely brilliant and I always enjoy seeing him he's also led a somewhat piecemeal and difficult and lonely life when it comes to personal affairs. He was good friends with Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth fame in the '70s though, and was actually the first person to get her to perform in a rock band as a favor to him in one of his projects. As I recall she was his downstairs neighbor (in SoHo I think) and they became friends, and Dan was pretty hosed up with his depression/bipolar disorder which is severe and couldn't take care of himself, so Kim Gordon more or less cooked and cleaned and shopped for him and stuff for a while back then. This was before Sonic Youth existed bear in mind and Dan was a fairly established artist already in NYC.

It's almost a bit odd that 'The Sonic Youth' wasn't one of the bands who performed at the Road House in Season 3 - they're the kinda group I'd expect to see rockin' out there, and Kim Gordon is Lynch's kind of lady I'd think. I can only imagine that their music would go pretty drat well with Twin Peaks imagery/Lynchian imagery in general. They seem to have some sort of common ethos.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

kaworu posted:

It's almost a bit odd that 'The Sonic Youth' wasn't one of the bands who performed at the Road House in Season 3 - they're the kinda group I'd expect to see rockin' out there, and Kim Gordon is Lynch's kind of lady I'd think. I can only imagine that their music would go pretty drat well with Twin Peaks imagery/Lynchian imagery in general. They seem to have some sort of common ethos.

Sonic Youth broke up when Kim and Thurston split.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

And More posted:

I was speaking more about the "wayward youth banging older chicks" James trope.
Other than the one affair, the book only mentions him in long term relationships, although they could be leaving things out.

I get the sense he was a huge dorky teenager and young adult that grew up to be a charismatic and interesting person later in life.

IIRC all his relationships mentioned in the book were people younger than him. If James is any kind of self insertion (it's not) I'd say it's more the type of person a dorky teenager with sexual fantasies was jealous of.

He definitely had lots of attention from girls, but it all seemed to come later in life, not in the "wayward youth" sense.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

The only band that should have performed at the roadhouse in s3 was The Residents.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Though I think Sonic Youth playing "Antenna" would have fit really well conceptually.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Hey, anybody want to buy Laura Palmer's coffin?

https://us.propstoreauction.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/146/

Midway down. There are a couple of Great Northern signs too, along with a bunch of other non-Lynch TV and movie stuff.

If I win that coffin, can one of you come over when I die and jump on top of it at the funeral for me?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I could buy the coffin but I have no idea where I'd put it or what I'd do with it. I guess I could put it in storage and be buried in it myself when the time comes... Honestly the price isn't bad for a coffin especially this coffin. Coffins are ridiculously expensive.

bruckner
Sep 11, 2010
Twin Peaks S3 as a feel good movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4o7N7xEvVg

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I finished all of Twin Peaks. It was really great but what the gently caress happened in the last two episodes season?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It got better

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Eat The Rich posted:

I finished all of Twin Peaks. It was really great but what the gently caress happened in the last two episodes season?

Dale Cooper uncovered fraud and malfeasance in the insurance industry.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
People were under a lot of stress.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Cooper boneheadedly collapsed the space-time continuum. That's our Coop!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Coop hosed up and died, guns got deep fried, Not Laura Palmer cried

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Imagine owning yourself so hard that you accidentally clip through the universe into a glitch world that subsequently crashes

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Hey, anybody want to buy Laura Palmer's coffin?

https://us.propstoreauction.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/146/

Midway down. There are a couple of Great Northern signs too, along with a bunch of other non-Lynch TV and movie stuff.

If I win that coffin, can one of you come over when I die and jump on top of it at the funeral for me?
No, but I'll be waiting at the diner and explaining to the patrons what a shitshow your funeral was.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Harrumph... Sorry about your taste in boyfriends.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like the idea that anyone who fucks with the black lodge is doomed, no matter how good or strong they are

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

hawowanlawow posted:

I like the idea that anyone who fucks with the black lodge is doomed, no matter how good or strong they are

The way Hawk describes it, yea 99.9% of people who encounter the Black Lodge would be "annihilated", but that if you're able to confront your shadow self with perfect courage, it's possible to come away unharmed. Maybe that has something to do with Briggs' demeanor, the zen quality that he has. Maybe he's one of the rare people who was able to pass through the Black Lodge and then into the White Lodge, and therefore is considered to have "perfect courage".

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

The way Hawk describes it, yea 99.9% of people who encounter the Black Lodge would be "annihilated", but that if you're able to confront your shadow self with perfect courage, it's possible to come away unharmed. Maybe that has something to do with Briggs' demeanor, the zen quality that he has. Maybe he's one of the rare people who was able to pass through the Black Lodge and then into the White Lodge, and therefore is considered to have "perfect courage".

*cough* Andy *cough*

edit: Wait, can we say that Briggs succeeded? He seems to be stuck as a disembodied head floating in space.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
His self-sacrifice is probably good evidence of his perfect courage.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Even more than the first Audrey scene my least favourite part of The Return was definitely the shot in episode 17 with Evil Coop being transported to in front of the sheriff’s station that’s literally just a bunch of jpgs being tweened around including Major Briggs head

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

edit: Wait, can we say that Briggs succeeded? He seems to be stuck as a disembodied head floating in space.

From what he says in Season 2, it seems that he's already been to the White Lodge at least once as a result of his work with Project Bluebook. That, along with the way he acts implies to me that he successfully faced down his shadow self.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The white lodge is a spruce goose and that's why the colonel looks so dapper when he comes back home

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Escobarbarian posted:

Even more than the first Audrey scene my least favourite part of The Return was definitely the shot in episode 17 with Evil Coop being transported to in front of the sheriff’s station that’s literally just a bunch of jpgs being tweened around including Major Briggs head

I loved those shots because I could picture Lynch standing being some animator giving orders to make it look like that.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I loved those shots because I could picture Lynch standing being some animator giving orders to make it look like that.

I'm sure that's exactly what happened. His effects have looked the same since the 70s. It's just the medium that has changed and with CGI it ends up looking pretty crappy a lot of the time. I don't mind them as much knowing that it's probably more because that's exactly how he envisioned it rather than just cheaping out on CGI.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Lynch def did those effects himself.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

Lynch def did those effects himself.

Yeah. Ya'll should take a look at Dumbland.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I like them. It gives more of a sense of “what the gently caress” unreality than proper CGI probably could have done. I can totally see why people could think it’s poo poo though

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

The only effects I didn't like were the Red Room itself. It didn't feel as real as it used to. Were the chevron floors cg or something?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Awesome vids and most of Lynch's scripts here, including some unproduced stuff:

https://indiefilmhustle.com/david-lynchs-screenplay-download-pdf/

EDIT - To be clear, this is all stuff that's been around before, but not necessarily in a one-stop location.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 13, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

antidote posted:

The only effects I didn't like were the Red Room itself. It didn't feel as real as it used to. Were the chevron floors cg or something?

Nah that was all real, even the shaking floor.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Major Briggs was a seeker, much like Agent Cooper, and possibly the only person to encounter the Black Lodge and avoid corruption. 2nd-best character on Twin Peaks.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Nah that was all real, even the shaking floor.

NON EX IS TENT

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The weird sfx are Lynch leaning heavily into the digital medium vs film. All of the effects and editing play around with the the way digital gear can get weird and glitch and appear surreal in its own counterpart to the way film/analog gear does the same. I think there was a good YouTube video about this but I can’t remember anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

antidote posted:

Those floors look really good shot on fuzzy old film. With new equipment the whole room just has a slightly different aesthetic - clearer, sharper, more realistic, but less warm and less romantic.