Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Greed Waste-ings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Even if it’s bad or loses money, it’s guaranteed to be culturally significant in a way that has to have some kind of estimable dollar valuation.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, gently caress Netflix for depriving us of another David Lynch show. I'm glad he's still enjoying his artwork and music, though. It's good for him to have creative outlets, whatever they may be.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Netflix what the ACTUAL gently caress

They finally saw the crap that was season 3 (the nuke explosion was cool tho) and noped out.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

CatHorse posted:

They finally saw the crap that was season 3 (the nuke explosion was cool tho) and noped out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6NC0rKLZuU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

CatHorse posted:

:getout:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CatHorse posted:

die

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CatHorse posted:

lol what is this poo poo

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
wtf...

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CatHorse posted:

lol okay buddy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The algorithm told the Netflix Execs,"I reviewed David Lynch's pitch and I have no idea what it's about or what is going on or what it all means" so they passed on it, and then the algorithm said,"Why did you pass on the David Lynch thing? I told you it sounded excellent!"

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CatHorse posted:

Michael J. Anderson alt spotted.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
i know lynch became a homebody for a couple of years when covid hit (dude’s got emphysema), so i doubt it was just netflix’s decision

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

wa27 posted:

Michael J. Anderson alt spotted.

I liked The Secret History of Twin Peaks, so Mark Frost alt

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

alternatively: fix your heart

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Project Wisteria, The Happy Worker, Snootworld, Unrecorded Night. The next 15 years are going to be an endless cycle of David Lynch announcing projects that get scrapped followed by new announced projects. This will continue until he dies or we do

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I think it was discussed earlier in this thread, but the Nextlander podcast did a bunch of episodes on seasons 1 and 2 of Twin Peaks. Then they took a break, but they just released an episode on Fire Walk With Me and they're supposed to be watching/doing episodes on The Return soon.

e: They also put out a bonus episode on The Missing Pieces!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 6, 2024

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I didn't think Netflix ever said no to a show. Might cancel after 1 season, but usually fund it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They filmed an entire season of an adaptation of Matt Wagner’s comic Grendel and then refused to show it and either shelved or destroyed it for the tax gains. No idea if it was good or bad.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
About a page late but my take on the ending was less that it was about Coop's own tragic flaw, and more, well.
There's a line in season 2 from one of the crummy Windom Earle bits that actually always stuck with me and is fantastic. When he's torturing Briggs, Earle asks him what most scares him in the world. "The possibility that love is not enough."

Love was not enough. The world is so rotten and awful that even Coop, very nearly a love elemental, is ultimately incapable of truly defeating Judy or saving everyone. We've broken the world with our bad behavior, and now it is too late to put the pieces back together.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Twin Peaks was about the friends we made along the way.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

twin peaks was about television

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m still haunted by the way David Bowie says, “we live inside a dream,” 30 years later. What more could I want? Making sense can’t top that, which isn’t to say that there aren’t ideas or claims about the world and life in Twin Peaks.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

About a page late but my take on the ending was less that it was about Coop's own tragic flaw, and more, well.
There's a line in season 2 from one of the crummy Windom Earle bits that actually always stuck with me and is fantastic. When he's torturing Briggs, Earle asks him what most scares him in the world. "The possibility that love is not enough."

Love was not enough. The world is so rotten and awful that even Coop, very nearly a love elemental, is ultimately incapable of truly defeating Judy or saving everyone. We've broken the world with our bad behavior, and now it is too late to put the pieces back together.

Anybody got that clip handy, the one where Lynch says too many people fixate on the hole and forget about the donut?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Owl at Home posted:

too many people fixate on the hole and forget about the donut

:nsfw: mods?

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.
….is it about the bunny?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

franks posted:

….is it about the Rabbit?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

franks posted:

….is it about the bunny?

It's not about the bunny!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Levin posted:

Twin Peaks was about the friends we made along the way.

Unironically, yes. Part of why the network's insistence that Lynch reveal who killed Laura Palmer was so ill-conceived. The mystery was the excuse to introduce the characters and their soap opera nonsense which was the real meat of the show and what won over audiences.

They failed to realize that the real White Lodge was the fictional characters we met along the way.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pattonesque posted:

look man coop is trying his best against unfathomable cosmic horrors alright. you try entering the lodge with perfect courage

ive done it. its not that hard

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Part of why the network's insistence that Lynch reveal who killed Laura Palmer was so ill-conceived. The mystery was the excuse to introduce the characters and their soap opera nonsense which was the real meat of the show and what won over audiences.

It's wild because actual soap operas on the same networks would get literal decades out of plot points that were way less interesting than Twin Peaks' macguffin. At least that's what I assume from background watching my mother's/grandmother's "stories" growing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It is kinda funny because the solution was extremely well done but they just were not ready to churn out another dozen episodes