Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

LOST and Twin Peaks both had very good fitting finales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Escobarbarian posted:

I can’t wait for the eventual thinkpiece on how Last Jedi and The Return arguably have very similar themes in some ways ”gently caress your nostalgia”, basically

Semi spoilers ahead I guess but not really.

I’m still amazed at how well that theme was handled. It was like someone you trust holding your hand walking you into deeper and deeper terror. By the end you’re in shock but realize you had the best person possible along with you. It wasn’t some cocky rear end in a top hat Lynch trick of HEY gently caress YOU FANS, it was completely in story and theme. It’s just in the case of Frost the desire to actually go places in the plot overrode the desire to tiptoe around fan service and give everyone their nice little cherry pie. We were given the fun cute things but taken to where the story was always going in the first place. Our memory and nostalgia was faced with reality. We went deeper just like we wanted to do in the original seasons. I suppose we didn’t realize what those depths really were.

Thinking about The Return still gives me a weird good feeling. I can’t wait to rewatch it. Not gonna pretend like I’m not a Lynch fanboy but god drat there’s nothing like it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Watching you new people go through The Return for the first time is so great. Please keep posting your feelings about it. There’s nothing like that first time through and I’m jealous I can’t do it again :3: dead serious my approach to creation, art and media shifted after the series ended.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

eSporks posted:

Ep 18 legitimately caused me to confront my depression and seek positive life changes.
It sounds really stupid and cliche, but it changed my life.

The entire thing changed the way I look at how I create art and the nature of identity in what we put into the world. I really, really don’t like to gush over heroes and idols and all that but Lynch has taught me so much about life and art. It’s a little crazy.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Alan_Shore posted:

I think, not matter your opinion on Twin Peaks and how it handled continuity or the finale or anything like that, we can all agree that watching it every week... there was nothing else like it. And there never will be.

It’s crazy how true this is for me. It was such an unreal experience. I’ve never had the same feeling watching anything.

I don’t really care how much of a fanboy I am being here. Lynch has influenced my approach to life and art in a way I don’t normally feel comfortable with in terms of idols/heroes. I’m fine with it though. I’ve gotten so much out of his presence that it would be dishonest to hide it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I only watched FWWM last year and instantly fell in love with it as one of my favorite movies. Still baffled by the fact that so many people hate it. I found every scene fascinating.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Lynch just wrote to clarify this whole dumb thing.

"Dear Mr. President,

This is David Lynch writing. I saw that you re-tweeted the Breitbart article with the heading – Director David Lynch: Trump ‘Could Go Down as One of the Greatest Presidents in History.’ I wish you and I could sit down and have a talk. This quote which has traveled around was taken a bit out of context and would need some explaining.

Unfortunately, if you continue as you have been, you will not have a chance to go down in history as a great president. This would be very sad it seems for you – and for the country. You are causing suffering and division.

It’s not too late to turn the ship around. Point our ship toward a bright future for all. You can unite the country. Your soul will sing. Under great loving leadership, no one loses – everybody wins. It’s something I hope you think about and take to heart. All you need to do is treat all the people as you would like to be treated.

Sincerely,

David Lynch"

I know I’m a fanboy but for as much abstract weirdness Lynch likes to get into, when he speaks directly and honesty he has such a genuinely kind nature to his words. I’ve noticed this in interviews a bunch. He seems to value other people in a unique way. I strive to handle myself like that more often.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Lynch + Frost letting magic/occult flow into primetime tv is one of my favorite things about Twin Peaks.

I really have to read Frost’s two books. I have them and haven’t opened one yet. I suck.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Escobarbarian posted:

I genuinely don’t understand your reaction at all here lol

You’re fine buddy! I’m from the US and have only heard it called military time but it’s reasonable to not get that if your country handles it differently.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I got The Final Dossier on my Kindle for my birthday a few weeks ago but have yet to read it :ohdear:

It's only 100 something pages, isn't it? I'm sure once I start it, I'll blow through it rather quickly.

Seems much bigger than 100 pages but I know it’s not a traditional novel or anything like that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Morrison/Moore would actually be done justice by Lynch imo

I haven’t finished reading it but a Lynchian From Hell would be ~my fuckin jam~

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Really I just want an hour long video of Lynch and Moore sitting down and talking about magic and life and art. My nerd hype would be disgusting.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I hadn’t seen the final scene in a while and I think it’s interesting how much the scream feels like a forceful outward “attack” vs a reaction to everything happening. I’m sure I could word that better.

I guess it always was like that but :shrug:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

kaworu posted:

David Lynch is the only filmmaker who can truly make me feel physically ill from watching certain films and things, and most artists don't even approach that level of deep, visceral reaction. I watch and look at art for that feeling.

You know that feeling when sometimes you're standing in art gallery looking at a painting and it just makes the hair on your back of your neck stand up and you get cold little shocks of adrenaline going through your body because it's so affecting... Lynch is probably one of these three filmmakers who can give me that sensation..

:same:

It’s a really special thing. It captures the way a lot of mundane situations in real life can go a little weird and then your brain proceeds to take you to the strangest places. It’s much more intense when you’re terrified on an instinctual level.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I need to watch Wild At Heart. I love everything Elvis related and that + Lynch sounds loving brilliant.

e: I just realized Cage’s jacket is also Goro Majima’s and now I’m imagining a combination of Yakuza and Nick Cage and oh god I’m close I’m close I’m cu

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Skipping anything in media/entertainment/whatever seems insane to me but it is what it is.

Thanks for hyping me on Wild at Heart & Dune my friends. Watching both soon!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

SeANMcBAY posted:

Season 2 isn’t even that bad. I expected way worse going through it last year by how people talk about it. The James plot with the woman is definitely the low point.

I watched it for the first time last year before season 3 dropped and genuinely liked it. There were very dumb parts but they were worth it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Capntastic posted:

People who waddle up to me leaking their broken hearted thoughts about how they love Twin Peaks except for most-of-the-episodes need to address their inability to accept that life is about taking the good with the bad and appreciating both.

This.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

He doesn’t deserve to exist in this thread.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If you read into how Lynch approaches life, art and spirituality in general then Twin Peaks becomes much more clear.

tl;dr Accept what you get out of it. Don’t overthink it. Have fun exploring everything about the series. Don’t make absolutes out of the abstract. Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How can one man be so amazing. I don’t understand.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The weird sfx are Lynch leaning heavily into the digital medium vs film. All of the effects and editing play around with the the way digital gear can get weird and glitch and appear surreal in its own counterpart to the way film/analog gear does the same. I think there was a good YouTube video about this but I can’t remember anything about it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

hawowanlawow posted:

honestly Jim Belushi was great in s3, and I don't like that guy

:same:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Don’t skip anything ever.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pinterest Mom posted:

I haven't seen most of S2 and I have zero regrets.

Rocco posted:

The Nadine stuff is boring as gently caress

Fix your hearts or die.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Episode 8 is the greatest episode of television ever and the fact that it's so divisive only reinforces that.

:yeah:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The ending is seriously the most powerful director to audience lesson that I’ve ever experienced. Any other director would end up making it cynical and dismissive to the audience. Lynch threw us a completely Twin Peaks style gut punch in the form of reminding us what the show was always about. Then entire third season was a bit of a lesson/statement though wasn’t it?

Ugh I loving love Twin Peaks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

eSporks posted:

https://25yearslatersite.com/2019/03/29/surrealist-objects-in-twin-peaks/

I really liked this article and the comparisons it makes to other surrealist metaphor. At the end of the day the correct way to experience Lynch is to feel it and allow the meaning to be vague.

This is my take yeah. That’s why I rarely dip into Lynch analysis. His art is basically backing up a dump truck to your conscious and subconscious mind and giving you years of stuff to work through.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How much of Lynch’s filmography is on the criterion channel app now?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Breadallelogram posted:

I just read secret history and final dossier over the course of like 4 days. Mark Frost really knows how to grab my attention.

Lynch & Frost compliment each other’s strengths and approaches in the coolest ways. They’re a wonderful duo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fire Walk With Memes is a quality fb page

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Raxivace posted:

All that Lost theorizing really caused a lot of people to miss the forest for the trees though and get mad when the finale didn't give them "answers". Hell I was one of them.

Like I remember dozens of people swearing up and down that Lost wasn't a character drama- despite a third of most episodes being spent on pure character backstory.

This is the key I think. When the goal is “solving” a work of art or trying to convert others to your theory, the entire situation kinda sucks. If it’s just a thought/creativity experiment then awesome. There are infinite layers to everything, some intentional and some not. Exploring them is great. Staking claim to ones you create or mold in an effort to stroke your ego alongside the creator is when it all loses value. Every film or show or album or art piece doesn’t have to be a puzzle but every single one can be a wonderful place to explore and discover things in.

HD DAD posted:

Lost was literally “it was about the friends we made along the way”.

(I was over here in the minority calling the finale absolutely perfect. And I still do.)

I agree!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thinking about finally doing my S3 second viewing now that I have my weed card and all. Only makes sense. The season exploded and forever altered my creative philosophy and I’m ready to see what comes from another round with it.

I’m real fuckin’ happy that I live in the same era as David Lynch.

What’s the best way, Blu-ray I assume?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rageaholic posted:

Yeah. When the season first aired on Showtime, the quality was nowhere near as good as the Blu-Rays.

Speaking of which, I need to do a rewatch of my Blu-Rays too.

Yeah the quality was really weird. It worked for it but also seeing everything with the deep blacks and rich colors etc etc of blu-ray sounds amazing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

kaworu posted:

It makes me really happy to hear that I wasn't the only one who felt that there was something kinda magical/special about watching and discussing Twin Peaks, that summer. It definitely was a memorable experience for me, and I hadn't felt that involved or passionate about anything media or pop-culture related in a VERY long time. In some ways it actually made me feek young, which was really the opposite of what I expected.

Something that I love more and more and more and more every time I watch them are the phone scenes between Michael Horse (Hawk) and Catherine Coulson (Margaret "Log-Lady" Lanterman) on the phone. Those just... It's clear that the phone calls became increasingly more about the pain Margaret/Catherine was in at the time, and it's impossible to NOT hear her struggling with each and every single breath. Hawk's side feels somewhat disconnected from her, but it kind of works due to the vague weirdness that permeates the use of telephones (especially cellular ones) through the series' course. It seems significant that both Hawk and Margaret are using land-lines. But anyway, the last couples scenes with those two on the phone just gets more and more devastating. "There's some fear in letting go. My log is turning gold. The wind is moaning. I'm dying... Good night, Hawk."

It''s the knowledge that she was truly dying, and really speaking to Lynch as he was the only other person in the room at the time, I think. It's very emotionally direct and intense for Lynch - reminds me of the deeply empathetic, grounded Lynch who is more in touch with the concrete realities of what it means to live a life of suffering and unfulfilled desires; basically, I'm referring to the Lynch who directed The Elephant Man and The Straight Story. Someone in this thread once made a great point about The Return, and I will try not to totally butcher it in paraphrasing it - they said that it was kind of like Lynch's final big "thesis statement" or final product at the end of his career, that have him a chance to utilize and flesh out a lot of the kinda stuff he's been doing in various media - frog moths, musical acts in nearly every episode, etc etc. There was something a little indulgent about some of the scenes, but Lynch's indulgences tend to also be my indulgences - like Cera doing an a perfectly loquacious "Wild One"-era Brando.

You just brought out so many feelings in me :D

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://mobile.twitter.com/duganamanda/status/1141700246277431297?s=21

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

kaworu posted:

Aww, thank you guys :glomp: I love you all too! It feels really really nice to hear that those posts mean something to other people, because I *do* put effort into them. I'm pretty bad at being insincere and a troll, so it's good to know my sometimes painfully sincere posts work out sometimes :)

Your posts are everything I wish the internet could be. Seriously it’s appreciated and a breath of fresh air from the strangely insincere and mean spirited way so many people interact online.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

zelah posted:

Yeah, don’t skip anything. If you’re gonna watch twin peaks, watch twin peaks. It’s all twin peaks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My second viewing of FWWM is the correct way to break in my Criterion Channel trial, right? :clint:

HD DAD posted:

Lynch most likely operates almost purely on dream logic, with his imagery hinting at a feeling he’s trying to evoke. Any detailed granular analysis is probably going to be complete nonsense.

Trying to “solve” Twin Peaks is like trying to find out why the clocks are melting in Dali’s Persistence of Memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

disaster pastor posted:

I figured there was a thread!

I won't be reading it yet, because I'm watching it with a friend and we're still early on (episodes 2–3 of season 2 tonight), but man, I'm obsessed. This show is exactly my poo poo and I can't believe I didn't watch it sooner.

Welcome!