Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

fromsinkingsands posted:

I know, right? We could totally use two more episodes of Cooper trying to function in society.
You're right, I'd much rather have another two seasons of dumb boring high school drama bullshit shoehorned in to satisfy network TV audiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

Whahhh? I loved the ghost slice-face death scene and the (ep 4)photo was totally messed up because it made their necks look like bloody pink stumps, like they weren't even human bodies anymore. It was hosed up.
I don't scare easily but I watched this blazing weed in the dark and I was scared shitless by this scene.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Section 9 posted:

Michael Anderson: "I want nothing to do with this and I am crazy now!"
Twin Peaks: "We are replacing you with a weird tree."
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Twin Peaks Revival 2017: We are replacing you with a weird tree.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I'm taking the day off work tomorrow for my birthday and I'm finally gonna sit down and watch. Is it good pals?
I went in with low expectations and was blown away. I think it's better than the original to be honest, and the original is one of my favorite shows.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

kaworu posted:

Instead we're getting so much more, and it's just... so much better than expected. It is *so* rare that I actually get to say that about television. The last time I got this feeling from watching a television series was maybe... season 1 of True Detective, at times.
I hadn't thought of this comparison but it definitely makes sense.

The Kubrick influence is evident throughout, especially in the Coop through Space scenes. But I think the way in which it most echoes Kubrick is in the way it seems to pull you into another dimension entirely, breaking through the screen like the face-eating box ghost. We are to the show as the characters are to the Black Lodge. There were brief flashes of this in S1 True Detective, but the new Twin Peaks does it so utterly and completely, and almost effortlessly, like Lynch is putting on an old favorite jacket. I am not a fan of much of Lynch's other work, but this is him at absolute peak form. Its awesome to watch and I feel really lucky that Twin Peaks just happened to be the subject.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I remember someone mentioning that there was a fan created version of FWWM with Missing Pieces stitched in. Anyone know what thats called?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have to admit this was a weaker episode even though it had its moments. Definitely getting tired of the "watch Dougie try to function" plot.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGiqck8X3EA

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

He's also the younger brother from Get Out.
He seems to be playing almost exactly the same character and for a little bit I imagined that Get Out was in the same universe.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I thought of this when Coop's shoes come off when he goes through the outlet.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

cjg posted:

So this was on my feed today, posted by an SJW who earlier said "You know, the new Twin Peaks just isn't doing it for me":

https://thebaffler.com/bread-and-circuses/it-is-happening-again-orr

"To borrow Showtime’s catchphrase for the new Twin Peaks, “It is happening again.” In this case, the “it” is the stereotypical rendering of black people."
The Baffler specializes in hot takes. Sometimes they are really good. Sometimes they miss the mark.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm gonna go ahead and quote this

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So are we certain that was actually the White Lodge? It seems a little different from Major Briggs' description from his vision.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Section 9 posted:

So, that is settled, for whatever it means.
This sums up the show pretty well

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

:gonk:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Flyinglemur posted:

Just got caught up on the thread. The only person I know in real life that watches this is my wife and she is uh....not super thrilled about this season (she's in the "Hurry up, Coop" camp but I love her anyway).

I sat up and said "AUDREY!" when Coop saw the red shoes. I know it wasn't Audrey, but it was just one more visual clue for the old Coop. Anyway, love the show and love the discussion here. What a time to be alive.
New shoes

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i thought this was one of the best episodes actually
I found it really disappointing. Didn't further the plot much. The Dougie subplot is getting really tiring. At this point we are more than halfway through the show and Cooper hasn't showed up yet.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

TheMaestroso posted:

You could describe a whole lot of this season this way, and that's not a bad thing.

Unless you need every show to be a continuous stream of plot beats fashioned around the weekly hour framework.
Thats actually my biggest criticism of this episode, that it follows the plot-beats prestige TV formula a little too closely without contributing much of substance. And I am loving sick of the Dougie subplot, it is really boring and a waste of valuable time on this show.

It's not a question of attention span. The atom bomb episode was my favorite, for instance. It's just that last week's episode kind of lies there, doing nothing. Dougie while his wife rides him is the perfect personification of that episode. Some episodes this show wows me, and others I am left waiting for something that never comes.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Dougie literally is unable to give consent so it is literally categorically rape. What that means towards your opinion of the show is up to you, but saying it's not rape because it was played for comedy is idiotic.

I wasn't a fan of that scene, though Dougie's arms did get me pretty good.

And More posted:

There is no way he would have consented.
I am glad we are discussing the key points of this fictional television show here, like whether it qualifies as rape if you can't consent because your soul is split between reality and an alternate dimension and a copy of you, possessed by a killer demon, is preventing you from returning to this world.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Can we talk about David Lynch's creepy cult and the fake charity he runs to prop it up?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I mean the David Lynch Foundation is exactly the same thing as Scientology's "philanthropic" work, i.e. is really about getting more followers for the cult.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Zmej posted:

It's not a bad thing, but I think it promises more than it should.
Diverting funds and time from efforts to genuinely help those people instead of inducting them into a cult is, in fact, a bad thing

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Most of the official merch is gross and kitschy, but a few things are amazing.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

RBX posted:

The FBI call scene is top 5 funniest things I've seen.
I laughed harder at this than anything I can remember.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

I too can only picture David Lynch talking like Gordon Cole
This post is important

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Turdfuzz posted:

the suffering of upset fans is my garmonbozia

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Cooper is Rick Sanchez.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Can i get all these ending theories in a tweetable infographic by 5pm today. Thanks

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The Blu-Rays of the original series/FWWM look loving exceptional for being shot 25 years ago, if you haven't watched those already.
A Criterion restoration is coming in November. I haven't seen FWWM so am waiting for that.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Imagine if Ep. 17 really were the finale.

Right now we would all be kvetching about how silly and cartoonish the "Freddie punches Mega Man miniboss BOBORB into hell with his Home Depot gardening glove that we first found out about third-hand like four episodes ago" resolution to this whole epic story is. I think once it had settled in a little bit it would seem like that ending was even more of a Lynch gently caress-you to the fans than Ep. 18 was.
I think this is the point Lynch is making with the dual endings.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The annoying part of this is that we spent 15 hours watching a lost Cooper, as Dougie, slowly finding himself.
On the whole I think this is my only persistent criticism of the show. I get that "I don't care about the viewer, here's a long cocktease" is Extremely David Lynch, but it went beyond frustrating – it really did diminish the quality of the overall work.

Despite this I think it is on equal footing with The Wire for greatest TV ever.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I found the Dougie stuff deeply boring and irrelevant to anything. I think there were myriad ways for him to wake up much earlier in the show and still keep the plot going for that many episodes.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I agree that it oozes with care, but it's not for the viewer. One reason I think the notion of "jiao dai" as explanation, or "handing over," is an accurate interpretation is because most of the time when Lynch is breaking medium conventions in this season it is in order to deny explanation. Character arcs are never completed and mysteries are never solved because Lynch doesn't feel the need to engage the viewer in a dialogue about the plot that way, because he doesn't care what you think you want. That's a primary reason the show is so successful, though.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

paint dry posted:

I don't think any of The Return was intentionally written as a "cocktease" to annoy viewers. This is just the story that Frost and Lynch wanted to tell.
Either way, that's what the Dougie plot amounts to.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

:thunk:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Baloogan posted:

I really miss not having Twin Peaks to watch.
time and time again

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Pop and Zauberberg are straight-up masterpieces.

Fit very well with the Lynch aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

insider posted:

Had a thought today. If you were going to get a Twin Peaks mural painted in a home theater what you would get it of (either one wall or entire theater)? The red curtains and white and black floor seem obvious but curious if anyone has any other cool ideas?
Major Briggs making Bobby cry in the RR