Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
The conference table at the sheriff's department with coffee mugs and a giant plate of donuts. The policeman's dream!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

That's loving wild.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

The thing with S3 is that, if any other show or creator had pulled the same poo poo (ie nothing makes sense, it's all a dream, what is real?), I would have been pissed. I don't know what it is about Lynch's presentation that makes it feel so much more compelling and deep but here we are. I watched S3 for the first time last fall and I still find myself chewing it over from time to time.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

The Klowner posted:

I remember reading an interview with Abrams and lindelof. it was right before the release of the final season of lost and I was incredibly hyped to finally get some answers... then in the interview they admitted they had no plan and they were just making poo poo up as they went along and got incredibly pissed lol.

Lynch is an extremely competent and confident director. Even though there's a lot of wacky poo poo in twin peaks I think it's all there for a reason. There is an internal logic to twin peaks and it's up to the viewer to come to their own conclusions.

Ngl I think Lost was the show I was unknowingly comparing Twin Peaks against when I said that. I watched the first two seasons of Lost and felt like it was SUCH a waste of time knowing that it ultimately goes nowhere.

I think you guys are right that it's the technical skill and originality that really does it. I think Lost was such a cynically produced mess that it felt inauthentic. No matter what Lynch does, you know he's in it for the artistic expression, not just to make a buck.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Shageletic posted:

Lynch doesnt try to bamboozle his audience they know exactly what they're getting into, from the first frame.

I think ppl get pissed when a filmmaker promises one thing from the beginning qnd fails at delivering it. Like a captain ineptly running into iceberg.

Lynch promises you that he'll hit that loving iceberg, because the waters of the North Sea is loving good for you.
I think about this a lot with Mulholland Drive. Very few mindfuck movies ever make good on the little in-universe fractal of mysteries that they set up. They just do weird poo poo for the sake of it. The constant cock tease of a revelation that never comes makes them sort of worthless beyond being a stoned 18 year old.

First time I watched Mulholland Drive, I almost turned it off because I didn't see how it could possibly turn into anything worthwhile. And then the whole movie post-Silencio happened. It's an absolute masterclass in storytelling.

Twin Peaks is just a bit harder to parse out after s3 because there's so much going on. It's really more like being given Lego pieces that you can fit together to make whatever final vision of the show you like. But I do agree that it's very fundamentally about light and dark in the world and the constant tug-of-war to keep a balance.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I assumed he was her therapist, she was in some weird hallucinatory state, and irl she's committed in an institution due to the various traumas she's experienced. It's actually the plot line I wish Lynch had followed a bit more after her whole dance thing.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

HD DAD posted:

I always thought of the Audrey plot as a small mirror of the overarching plot of season 3. She’s trapped in a dream state at her home, finally breaks free at the Roadhouse, and wakes up somewhere else. I thought this was pretty analogous to Cooper breaking out of Twin Peaks, saving Laura, and ending up as Richard.

Oh. Hmm. I like that interpretation. Much less disjointed than I had originally thought.

Ok. So if you have a good read on this stuff maybe clear one thing up for me.

What's up with the shovels.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I posted that jokingly then ended up spending time speculating on it, so here's my theory: Lynch wanted a happy ending for Ed and Norma where they end up together. So there needed to be some way to get Nadine to leave Ed, because he'd never leave her. So the whole shovel thing was just using the existing characters of Twin Peaks, pulling them into the modern era, and creating something that Nadine would get obsessed with to the point of giving up her marriage.

It seems naive to think Lynch would tack on a self-contained subplot purely as fan service, but that's all I got.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Maybe that's just what Lynch wants us to think.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I definitely abandoned S2 during the shittiest parts on my original watch. I only finished after hearing how strong Fire Walk With Me and S3 ended up being.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

The Klowner posted:

I would tell someone who's never seen the show before to watch every episode, and probably make my best effort not to give my own impressions of season 2 before they've had a chance to draw their own conclusions.

That being said, if it's just me or other people who've watched everything and know where it's going, yeah gently caress that poo poo lol

Yeah, I wish I had just gotten the advice to power through s2. I ended up doing it, but my viewing spanned like 2 full years because I just found it so loving annoying. It was the foreknowledge that Lynch was no longer involved, the show getting canceled, and just the sheer cringeyness of some of the scenes that made it seem pointless to follow through with. I'm glad I did ultimately though.

But I will never watch that terrible sequence with Donna, James, and Maddy singing together ever, ever, ever again.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

kaworu posted:

I don't know how any fan of Twin Peaks can hate the "Just You" scene! The song, or the scene - they kinda go together, for me. But really, that scene essentially IS Twin Peaks, as much as the shots of trees swaying in the wind or traffic lights at night. It captures something ineffable, and it stays with you.

My memory of it is pretty much fixated on how lovely the production of it was tbh. I can't say I have particular issue with the concept but the dubbing is bad and the actors look awkward performing in it. I think the other stuff you mentioned as being essentially Twin Peaks stuck better just on account of being artistically significant while also being accomplished with Lynch's typical high level of technical detail.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Kilometers Davis posted:

:yeah:

Every episode is great.

seriously if you’re new to the series please don’t ever take “skip these specific episodes, skip the rest after x, etc” seriously it’s a big crock of poo poo and deserves the shovel.

e: I feel that was a little harsh, sorry, but I’m still not sharing my fries with you during lunch ya filthy skippers
I wouldn't suggest skipping and agree it's all essential. But I would warn that S2 can be a slog and you just gotta push through. Dougie Jones awaits.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Did that ep also have the nuclear explosion? Or am I mixing that up?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

eSporks posted:

That looks downright bootleg.

lol 100%

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I think it helps somewhat to have laid down even the most minimal of Lynch film exposure before the show, even just the contemporary films. There's a lot of stuff that I can only describe as Lynchiness where you get a feel for how "normal" (if off-kilter) things can feel and how he can take you down some very strange roads from there. His movies just do it in a much shorter time span than Twin Peaks does.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Lord Krangdar posted:

I get the impression that this expectation has become a lot more prominent with the rise of "CinemaSins", and the general popularity of the attitude where the goal in consuming media is to outsmart the movie/show/book/etc. and catalogue all of the plot-holes.

Yeah the whole explosion of "exposé" type web content looking at the DARK HISTORY OF or the intense interconnected symbolism of what the gently caress ever has sort of ruined people in a lot of ways. And I think we can absolutely blame shows like Lost for setting up that expectation.

I don't think Lynch gives a poo poo about narrative depth in that way, it's all just art. The dude is almost purely about expressivity and stream of consciousness in his work.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Consummate Professional posted:

You're gonna hate parts of it. Keep watching!

I straight up took a year+ break from the show on my first viewing because I hated the middle of s2 so much. But it's all essential.

WATCH FIRE WALK WITH ME AFTER S2. DON'T SKIP IT.
IT. IS. ALL. ESSENTIAL.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

The show is about a fuckin coffee aficionado in search of the perfect cup and meeting a lot of nice people along the way. That's it. What the gently caress is wrong with all of you.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Blotto_Otter posted:

creamed corn is the opposite of coffee and donuts. coffee and donuts are a communal experience, meant to be shared with those around you, and represents finding comfort in the embrace of your fellow man. creamed corn is meant to be eaten shamefully, fearful that someone might witness you indulging in such a grotesque display
Donuts and coffee are carbs and caffeine. CC.

Creamed corn is also CC.

Same letters, same manifestation, but polar opposites. Light and dark. Black and white. Like the lodges.

Lynch knew what he was doing.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

donuts and coffee also make dc...dougie cooper??

interesting thread to tug on for the next series

AC/DC

Agent Cooper / Dale Cooper, or Dougie Cooper? The duality of man.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Throw me in with the mind blown crowd. It was all so Lynchian but also unlike anything I'd ever seen before.

I still don't think I have a clear understanding of the frog lizard, or the woodsmen, or how the bomb relates, but it all just felt so right after watching it.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Annabel Pee posted:

Season 4 : everyone is a kettle

It's a 3 hour stop motion feature of a bunch of kettles hanging out in a living room

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

David Lynch is such a treasure.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Has anyone ever seen David Byrne and David Lynch in the same room together? I'm just saying.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Dune is worth seeing at least once just to see the Lynch stable of actors in a wacky sci-fi. Also it’s unintentionally pretty funny.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard shouting a battle cry before he goes into a firefight wielding a laser blaster and a pug

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

hawowanlawow posted:

I legitimately like dune and read and enjoyed the books beforehand

I didn't enjoy it as a sci-fi film, but it's hard to really ding it when contextualized. It was certainly ambitious as hell and really tried to do right by the source material.

It was just clearly too early for it. The studio was clearly trying to make it commercially marketable at the time, and it shows. It would have been amazing if Lynch had been able to do it like Peter Jackson's did the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but the studio wanted it to be a contemporary blockbuster like Star Wars.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Origami Dali posted:

he's going through a divorce rn too, which can already take a decade off your life

Man, literally wife #4, brutal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

fullroundaction posted:

It is morally correct to fast forward through season 2 James (after your first viewing).

Been trying to convince my wife to do a rewatch with me because she’s never finished season 3. She loved S1 and S2 (all of it somehow) but hated season 3. :sever:

Unrelated: has anyone ever shown someone FWWM who hadn’t seen the show? And if so what did they think?

At least once a month we do weird movie night and I was considering throwing that on sometime but idk how the non show watchers would receive it.

imo it's not a great movie if you want a light atmosphere, it's heavy on the trauma and light on the weird. Mulholland Drive seems like a safer bet if you want a Lynch group watch.