Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
So I think i've pieced a few things together. It's starting to become obvious that the Season 3 story arc is (maybe loosely) linked to Phish's classic song "Cavern" which was officially released on A Picture of Nectar in 1992 but had been played out extensively before then. Whether it influenced the original series or not is up in the air, but I think it was clearly inspiration for season 3.
The line that keyed me in, obviously, is the focal point at the climax, "Whatever you do/take care of your shoes". Good Cooper lost his shoes traveling back to this world and they seem to be the one thing that he's missing to make him whole again. But I'll start at the beginning and go line by line.

Your time is near, the mission's clear
It's later than we think

This is pretty obvious, it's the Black Lodge folks talking to Coop and acknowledging that he's been held up by Bad Coop's schemes.

Before you slip into the night
You'll want something to drink

Coffee, duh.

Steal away before the dawn, and
Bring us back good news

Re-statement of purpose.

But if you've tread in primal soup
Please wipe it from your shoes

The black goop from Glastonberry Grove, maybe?

Just then a porthole pirate
Scourged the evening with his cry
And sanctuary bugs deprived
The monkey of its thigh
A dust arose and clogged my nose
Before I could blink twice
Despite the stuff that bubbled up
I gave some last advice:

I think this is all stuff we haven't seen yet, but it could also be the confrontations with the hitmen?

The flesh from Satan's dogs
Will make the rudiments of gruel

I think this is talking about garmonbozia.

Deduct the carrots from your pay
You worthless swampy fool

This probably has to do with Dougie's boss at the insurance agency. Seems like something he'd say.

Exploding then through fields and fen
And swimming in the mire
The septic maiden's gargoyle tooth
Demented me with fire

Think that last line is important.

I drifted where the current chose
Afloat upon my back
And if perchance a newt slimed by
I'd stuff it in my sack

Sounds a lot like Good Coop's travels through space and stuff. Not sure what the newt refers to.

The next few verses are all stuff that hasn't happened in S3 yet, but I'm sure it will make sense soon. I'll skip to the chorus at the end.

Give the director a serpent deflector
I think Dougie Coop is going to give Gordon Cole something important that will save him from a serpent, or maybe just a slippery villain. Remember Bad Coop's snakeskin shirt???

a mudrat detector, a ribbon reflector
Not sure.

a cushion convector, a picture of nectar
Again, not sure, but there have been lots of pictures so far in the season.

a virile dissector,a hormone collector
Not sure.

Whatever you do take care of your shoes
When Coop gets his shoes back I think he'll be back to normal.

This might seem far fetched but it's really not. The ties between Lynch and Phish are pretty well documented over the years, and they definitely have a mutual respect thing going on. (Phish named their 1997 summer festival after a line from FWWM, Mike Gordon directly attributes his aggressive hairstyle to David Lynch, on Lynch's side he's said that he went to over 300 shows in the 90's before the hiatus and he's been seen in LA driving a Suburu Outback with a GUYUTE license plate).

I'll keep posting as things fall into place but I'm sure this is the key to understanding the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

Let me just say there's no loving way David Lynch (or Mark Frost) listens to Phish.

Sorry to bust your bubble.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

They are vocal fans of the guy, doesn't mean he listens to them, let alone him going to over 300 shows.

He also directed commercials for Playstation, doesn't mean he's ever played one.

edit: Show me a video interview with Lynch saying something like "I love the band, Phish, been to a lot of shows. Love the noodling! Stash is my jam." or something, and I'll concede.

That's David Lynch front row at a spin doctors show at the wetlands. It's a pretty famous picture I thought. He's really into jam bands.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

FSFunky posted:

I haven't seen FWWM in a while, but doesn't Laura enter the red room through the door she sees in her painting (the convencience store realm)

It happens in a dream but basically yes.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

kaworu posted:

At the top of that, he opens a door that leads outside (and to what seems to be the paved ground floor of a seedy motel, which seems odd. I got the implication that this seedy motel was not accessible through any normal means, and the backwards-speaking person who unlocks the door to Room 8 would seem to confirm that this is a plane like where the Giant is, or where The Red Room. I think. It was notable that Jeffries spoke normally, and also sounded nothing like the person Bad Coop talked to in episode 2 who said "You're going back in tomorrow, and Bob will be with me." Still curious as to who that may have been.

I think it's the same motel that Leland went to meet Theresa Banks at, where he saw Laura and Ronette and ran away. I thought the woman was Ronette, but it's a different actor.

The Walrus posted:

Another question, why did Evil Coop only show up at the store now? He's been waiting to speak to Jeffries for a while, if he knew how to do so why did he wait? Is it as simple as he's just been busy until now?

I figured that Ray's coordinates took him there.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

tap my mountain posted:

Nah, Coop hasn't met her. Plus she's a bit strange for her to have "found something"

I'm really buying into the Judy is Garland theory, he's the only one that fits both criteria.

Judy Garland

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JazzFlight posted:

After people pointed out that Sarah Palmer's face was edited into that flash of The Jumping Man's face in ep 15, I think there's more evidence to this connection that a redditor found:

What is that supposed to be? I don't get it

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

tap my mountain posted:

The insect has a little poker thing on it's face

You have better eyes than me.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
And carrying a baby to term and delivering while in a coma is dedication.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

kaworu posted:

After a lot of typical rough peripheral noisy and scratchy sound effects that terrify me, we get yet another great song: The Platters recording of the old standard My Prayer, which of course returns during the sex scene we see between Coop and Diane... It's one of the things that makes me wonder just a little about what year it is on the night when they rent that motel

There's gotta be a gearhead out there that can ID what year the Lincoln they drove into the first motel is from.

I loved the last episode. The only regret is that we didn't get one more scene with grace zabriskie, cause her performance all season long was so incredible. I don't know that it would have wrapped up the season any better, I just wanted to see her on screen one more time. Instead we got sheryl lee kinda fumbling through her new character. She wasn't bad, but just not electric like she was in FWWM.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I read the free preview of Secret History on kindle and that was all I had to read. Seemed extremely dumb.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

moist turtleneck posted:

I didn't give a poo poo about Laura Palmer until I watched FWWM

Her acting in that is top notch

Agreed. Really strong performance by her and Ray Wise. Otherwise, sort of a so-so movie, but Sheryl Lee carries it.

Actually, the Deer Meadow stuff is good too, there's just not enough of it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

As awesome as Sheryl Lee was, I wish that movie was just 100% Chet Desmond fist fighting his way through the Teresa Banks murder investigation with his hapless buddy Sam. Did Chris Isaac ever act again? He was great in that.

He wasn't that good, but I would have watched a whole movie of that stuff, and I guess a whole movie about Laura, although its kinda the right amount of Laura stuff. You're ready for it to be over by the end.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cromulent posted:

I wasn't the biggest fan of the "unresolved" storylines from S3, but I always see people mention Shelly/Becky/Red and such, but I feel they're the the ones that didn't need a resolution, because there is none (as much as I would have liked to see more of Red). It was to show the cycle of dysfunction, and how it happens time and time again. It was spelled out pretty Lynch-clearly after Shelly ran off with Red, when Bobby sees the gun kid and his dad wearing camo. This poo poo just repeats itself generation after generation. There is no "end" and just because we didn't get a shot of Shelly getting news about her daughter being dead doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I agree with this. That whole plot line ended up being very straight forward at the end.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

OscarDiggs posted:

My main problem is, there are bits that I find interesting and thought provoking and so on and so on. But then... those bit's go on and on and on. To the point where what was interesting becomes boring. Like the nuclear scene, for the first 5 minutes, I was on the edge of my seat. The music, the visuals, it was fantastic! For about 5 minutes... and then after it kept on happening I settled back, bored and getting distracted by petty stuff. Then I started fast forwarding. Like... like I think it needs a good editor to maybe, cut it down to a third of the size? There's good bits, then there's fantastic bits... and after those bit's I can get up, make a drink and come back again safe in the knowledge that it's going to have kept on happening in all that time, so I won't have missed anything.

Have you tried Ritalin?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Elias_Maluco posted:

Major Briggs stationed in TP even before Cooper shows up there, and Cooper met him there, iirc. It cant have happened before that

To be sincere, I still cant figure when this conversation is supposed to have happened. If it was before Cooper getting stuck at the black lodge, Bad Cooper would know all about it (and it doenst seems to be the case). And Cooper didnt seem to have any plan other than rescuing Annie when he enters the black lodge at the end of S2

If it was after, Bad Cooper would be the one who made the plan with Cole and the Major

Unless it was Briggs and Cooper talking in the lodge and Briggs could leave but Cooper couldn't.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think I saw Briggs and Leland too

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Flyinglemur posted:

Been waiting since I saw Last Jedi in theaters to do this (I just remembered it this morning though)

It was worth the wait.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

jerk irl posted:

Is there a midget in the new twin peaks? Trying to figure out if it's worth watching.

Yes there is.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

there’s a new one in a couple of shots of episode 1 but yeah the old one is a tree now

This guy forgot about Ike the spike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I wanna watch twin peaks again.