Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Needs more Badalamenti. A lot more. My only complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I hope there was some unused footage of Frank Silva that can be worked into this.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I laughed harder at that Cera scene than anything from the original series.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
When Bobby saw Laura's picture and started crying with that music swell, it really felt like old Twin Peaks again.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm missing Badalamenti and bored, so for fun I wanted to see if a scene without music would work with music, and I think it does. Maybe the music will return when Coop does.

Duel posted:

Wally is a unique character but still fits in really good in the location of Twin Peaks.

Yeah, it's pretty understood that there's something not right with him, like his parents and everybody else in the whole drat town.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Rhino announced that there will be 2 music releases for this in September. One is the score, and the other is songs from the different artists featured in the show.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I agree with some of the complaints about the fx, but I understand why they look the way they do. Lynch has always dabbled in physical media, and his transition to digital has been less than smooth. He decided to shoot Inland Empire on a pd150 dvcam, which was considered way outdated in 2005 (it was cutting edge when von Trier used the same camera for certain scenes in "Dancer in the Dark" when he shot it in 1999, and even then he used custom lenses to improve the image), so it looks very cheap and home video. Lynch loved the look, and compared it to the graininess of old 1920s film stock, but most people see it and say 'wow, that looks bad'. He started doing his own digital art around the same time he launched his website, as well as designing the posters for Inland Empire and the release of the Twin Peaks vol. 2 soundtrack, which look pretty amateurish and not at all professionally 'designed'. Some of the shorts he did for the website or promotions featured fx which looked non-professional, like this short for Cannes in '07, which I love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GavrZa7LDaQ

In the mid 2000s, he released The Air is On Fire art book that featured some of his photoshop work, or 'digital paintings', and they are very crude but very Lynch. It's hard to find many of these online (it own it and might post some examples later if anyone's interested), but this is the idea:

When I see the fx for the new series, they very much remind me of this stuff, and I wouldn't be surprised if Lynch handled some of these fx himself. Sometimes it works, like the body in the bed looking obviously fake. It's very reminiscent of his crude photoshops and I'm fine with that. But when Dougie's body disappears and is replaced by a rock (?), that digital stretch-morph effect is some babbys first flash video level stuff. But like it or not, the reason the effects look the way they do isn't because of a lack of money, but rather because Lynch likes this look for reasons that are probably baffling to most people.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Blockhouse posted:

he tried to sell a TRUMP/PENCE bumper sticker in the twin peaks font

Hahah, Jesus Christ

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Pedro De Heredia posted:

1) The first act is bad.
2) Of the David Lynch movies I've seen, it's the one that feels closest to what people accuse him of: putting random weird imagery onscreen.

Good thing you haven't seen Inland Empire.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Hell I always felt bad for James. He was in love with someone who had problems way beyond his comprehension. He's dumb as hell and easily manipulated but he seems like a good dude otherwise.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
When Sarah Palmer is watching the lions eat the wildebeest, it reminded me of when BOB kills Maddy. The sounds, and especially when the lion is clamped down on its face.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The amount of Twin Peaks tattoos out there is staggering.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm on my 5th or 6th rewatch of the original series since it aired and I'm always amazed at how much I forget. A lot of it is convoluted as hell, or just boring. It's crazy how obvious it is when you're watching a Lynch-directed episode, the mood is so different, more absurd and horrific. That's the mood I always associate in my mind with Twin Peaks, but a lot of the actual show is very much not like this. FWWM really nailed it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The missing pieces is worth watching regardless. There's cool stuff in there.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Kulkasha posted:

So what are everyone's opinions on the Leland-BOB continuum? Was every crime all BOB (per the TV series) or did BOB simply catalyze Leland's desires (as is implied in FWWM)?
I'm of the opinion that it's more the latter than the former.

I like the latter much better, and felt that the shows tendency to make BOB a literal other-demon that possesses people like pazuzu to be a mark against it. It feels less about "the evil that men do" and more like a lame sci-fi plot.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The best Twin Peaks video game was that Black Lodge game somebody made in the style of Atari2600.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I knew I recognized that shot of BOB in the morph..

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It would be pretty funny if Coop doesn't regain his senses until the finale.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That scene with a high Amanda Seyfried reminded me of this Lynch "classic" for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5SHjEdJ87g

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

G-III posted:

Hmmm I wonder if there is a connection here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZL5pHmpCG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdAvEOt-l_I

Seems like the man has always had his way with shovels

Ok, holy poo poo, young Tamblyn's got some moves. That's impressive.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I really want to try cheddar on pie now.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's funnier if it's Billy Zane's kid from the first and only time they had sex.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

King Vidiot posted:

The problem is that they seem to have literally hired that person instead of getting a real actor to play somebody like that person.

Yeah, that had to be a producer's mom or something.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Wait, that was Candy Clark. Crazy.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Skip James (heh), skip Catherine/Josie, skip Lucy/Andy/Dick, skip Nadine, skip Billy Zane. It's alllll garb.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Ep 10 through whenever the Josie plot concludes is really the worst of it, the show picks back up after that.

Also, I'm fine with Chrysta Bell :shrug:.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

After this, she became Lynch's muse and sang on some songs in Inland Empire and Lynch's own albums.

I always liked this track from the record they did together. Simple and haunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pffDL25zLg

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Or having David Lynch by your bed as you're giving birth to his son? Yelling PUSH, YOU'RE DOING SO WELL in that Gordon Cole voice.

I imagine he would just keep repeating "beautiful! beautiful!" while he throws a side of beef at a canvas.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is there a place online that is keeping this plot straight, I'm losing the multiple threads in my brain. I need a chart.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Lynch is in a pretty rare place where even if he gets a legitimately dogshit performance out of his actors, people will assume it was deliberate.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just noticed that the intersection where the kid gets hit is the same intersection where Laura and Leland are getting screamed at by the one armed man in FWWM.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I thought Dougie's scribbles were literal depictions of how each insurance case was faked.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Actually revealing who Diane is feels like a very un-Lynch thing to do, and I'm not sure what I think about it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Hey Ed got jobbed. Jacque spiked his drink.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Leo is great and awful because he's supposed to be this hyper manly, dangerous redneck drug dealer husband, but Eric DaRae is the most non-intimidating looking/sounding dude on the planet. He's like Steven Seagal's softer, whiny little brother, which is hilarious given his character.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Lynch has been namedropping Au Revoir Simone in interviews for over a decade. He mentioned them when I saw him during the Inland Empire screening tour. Dude just really likes the music.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I hope in the middle of an episode it cuts to an anthropomorphized tree in the lodge taking a dump on the dead husk of Windom Earle.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
With the way Richard turned out, I get the feeling Audrey is going to be a strung out wino now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Rebekah del Rio sang that song on her last record (it was written by Lynch/Neff in '01), and it isn't blatantly autotuned there. Seems very intentional in the version on the show, since she can still belt out those notes as of last year during that Lynch concert. Lynch used some heavy autotune w Chrysta Bell on some tracks too, even though she's pretty awesome without it. It's just a thing he likes sometimes *shrug*