Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

It’s not what the front of your brain wants that keeps you playing. It’s what the tiny spot in the lower middle of your brain wants. Sadly, this is true for many things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I KNOW THE SKINNER BOX IS A SKINNER BOX he yelled as he pushed the button for the nine thousandth time.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

did u no there are unique blue gears for doing the planet adventures

I used the smg you get for doing a specific nessus adventure until I got an atalanta back in vanilla

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Blind Rasputin posted:

It’s not what the front of your brain wants that keeps you playing. It’s what the tiny spot in the lower middle of your brain wants. Sadly, this is true for many things.

I'm in it for the gun feel and aesthetics, which is my pve time, and the fun of killing people in pvp. I care about drops only so far as needed to satisfy gun feel and aesthetics, as well as making myself useful in whatever I'm playing. And as I know how to play the game and can do so mindlessly, it's also a thing I've aimlessly done tons of just to be doing something as my actual attentions are on other stuff.

Surely the sunken cost of it all factors in, but my playing is quite deliberate. There was an insane compulsion when I first started D1 which was a combo of making up ground with my character and my arsenal, but more so that I was on the shelf with a shoulder injury and I suddenly had an embarrassment of time on my hands and so I applied to the game the same crazy focus and discipline as I do my other pursuits so I wouldn't lose my mind while recovering and rehabbing.

Some claws are in and to varying depths, but it's really not a big thing being mentally above the mind trickery of videogame nerds. I have to imagine most are.

Orv posted:

I KNOW THE SKINNER BOX IS A SKINNER BOX he yelled as he pushed the button for the nine thousandth time.

I'm like 80/20 right now on quitting the game forever come Shadowkeep. It's exhausting to care about and keep playing. Terrific fun at times, yes, but that's a very easily replaced sensation in life.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Just do what I do and really only play on one character. I'll play the new pve stuff when it comes out, but otherwise just shoot mans and listen to music. As long as you're enjoying yourself playing then keep doing it. If not take a break and do something else.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean honestly if you're already considering it at that level, at least from what I've learned about how I play video games over the years, you're already out. It might just take a while for you to flame out completely, like it does for me. If you still want to play the game at some later date, or an eventual D3, I'd quit now and just chill with the good memories and wait until the spark strikes again.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Pretty sure blues are in the game to clutter your mailbox and add /timeplayed when you dismantle them one by one.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Orv posted:

I mean honestly if you're already considering it at that level, at least from what I've learned about how I play video games over the years, you're already out. It might just take a while for you to flame out completely, like it does for me. If you still want to play the game at some later date, or an eventual D3, I'd quit now and just chill with the good memories and wait until the spark strikes again.

I've gone through Destiny slumps before, and prior to content drops, which is why I've been giving this some time to marinate. This time feels different though and I'm probably outtie per your wisdom. :rip:

D3 could intrigue me back but truth told, Luke Smith's idiot write-up actually took the wind out of my sails looking forward. His admissions made me realize the game has hit a wall, that it's too hard for developers to maintain the systems of gameplay they re-implemented so the game wouldn't literally die, and from that it seems so obvious that Shadowkeep is just re-contextualizing things as a distraction from everything being redlined. Half life has been reached. And that's not a complaint that we don't get stronger faster still while the enemy stays the same, it's that super + guns + grenade + melee working together now, it's as good as it's ever can be. Maybe it can be wilder and more exciting come D3 as permitted by better, stronger technologies but as of now, I can't assert that at all. The only thing I have to go on is that the developers have it oh so hard and the reins need a firm pull back at basically all times. Unintended consequence of his ramblings, me gaining these thoughts, but having admitted he hasn't had to clearly communicate that many words and ideas in a very long time- the man in charge of Destiny at large hasn't had to cogently express a lot of ideas in full in such a long time that a blog post pointedly put a spotlight on that fact- I'm forced into assurance that Destiny itself is ready to flame out completely. It might take a while, but :shrug: it seems a done deal.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Bungie has very clearly had no goddamn idea what they want Destiny to be for the last five years or at least not had a cohesive, studio-wide vision except arguably the release state of D1 which was Extremely Bad, and it hasn't bitten them yet. I don't disagree that the potential now exists, given Bungie's size and their newly independent status, for it to all very quickly go tits up but I think they have cornered a very stable piece of market. I do however agree that Destiny's general feel/doings will likely not change from what it is now and if you're tired of the game as it has become D2 will likely never do anything to draw you back in. D3 might.

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 25, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They want it to be a FPS RPG MMO, they've been pretty clear about that from the start.

Obviously they've hosed a lot of stuff up but from a distance it's actually been pretty interesting to watch them flail around and reinvent the game every year trying to settle on something that's fun. That willingness to throw poo poo at a wall and see what sticks is pretty interesting.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

xzzy posted:

They want it to be a FPS RPG MMO, they've been pretty clear about that from the start.

Obviously they've hosed a lot of stuff up but from a distance it's actually been pretty interesting to watch them flail around and reinvent the game every year trying to settle on something that's fun. That willingness to throw poo poo at a wall and see what sticks is pretty interesting.

The willingness isn't at the top of the chain though, it's more that the powers that be know they're hosed if they don't right the ship

Orv
May 4, 2011

xzzy posted:

They have but how they want you to interact with that structure is what they are continually refining (you might argue less refinement and more slapdash slinging of ideas) and generally failing to get right in one or more significant ways. They seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding between how people want to play their game and how they want us to play it. Maybe that gets fixed eventually but it doesn't seem to have harmed retention except in the cases where the gap is so large as to be less of a misunderstanding and more of an intentional finger ie. D2Y1.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
You don't have to put much thought, if any, into whether you're gonna keep playing. Just stop, or keep going! You can even change your mind, any time, and it's OK too!

I didn't play from June 2018 to October 2018 because I was crushing some single player jRPGs on the ol Nintendo 3ds

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What is the worst strike and why is it the corrupted

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Calaveron posted:

it’s the fanatic one and it’s because the waves of scorn during the boss fight don’t count for any sort of weapon/quest/bounty progress and it’s horseshit

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You don't have to put much thought, if any, into whether you're gonna keep playing. Just stop, or keep going! You can even change your mind, any time, and it's OK too!

In fact they're specifically making changes to the game to support playing/not playing whenever you want! Just buy the DLC you want!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Calaveron posted:

It's exodus crash for too many reasons to list

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

haveblue posted:

It's exodus crash particularly for that one Nessus quest where you have to solo it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Exodus crash is at least short
Corrupted is so long, with hideously lovely platforming and firefights and a miserable boss with a lovely gimmick

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Calaveron posted:

a miserable boss with a lovely gimmick

Celestial Goldie kills her from full health. Strike is good.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Corrupted would be the best strike in the game if they (Strikes) were implemented differently. But unfortunately all the rewards tied to Strikes are just "get them done" and so only lake of shadows is good.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Corrupted would be the best strike in the game if they (Strikes) were implemented differently. But unfortunately all the rewards tied to Strikes are just "get them done" and so only lake of shadows is good.

That’s the one in edz with the taken cabal boss right? I’ve only gotten that one once since I started replaying the game back in June and it’s still the best in how you can breeze through it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

cvnvcnv posted:

Celestial Goldie kills her from full health. Strike is good.

It takes you 19 minutes to get to the boss. Strike is bad.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

haveblue posted:

lol blackout thaviks

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Bungie accidentally made Destiny, and every time they make changes to the game are failures to implement their "vision".

I am sure their vision would be a cool 40$ game that people would play for a week and then uninstall.

What we have is the result of their failures mixed with what people want. And is kind of a fun game.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
If it's anything like their "vision" imagined in the lore, it'd play like a FPS version of "2001: A Space Odyssey" with mandated "Tolkien Syndrome" blobs of text to read in between running twenty matches of Gambit Supreme that is a product tie in with Pizza Hut and there's a song by Paul McCartney about eating pizza.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Calaveron posted:

It is the corrupted but also Broodhold is bad because I'm so tired of bosses who scream all the time.
At least Spider is in it and he's lovely.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

goblin week posted:

It is the corrupted but also Broodhold is bad because I'm so tired of bosses who scream all the time.
At least Spider is in it and he's lovely.

Oh god I hate that slobbering fucker
And yeah god I’m sick of shrieking hive bosses and it sucks that the next expansion will be nothing but them again

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I didn't play from June 2018 to October 2018 because I was crushing some single player jRPGs on the ol Nintendo 3ds

That is without a doubt the weirdest name for a man

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

There is a bug in the corrupted that I’ve gotten many times where if you die at the first encounter where you have to throw the ball at the techiun (in the area with three floating platforms and tons of ads) and aren’t revived, the game revives you back at the top of the long plunge through the ascendant plane you have to take..far far back in the level. So you revive, immediately get the “go back” timer and die 4 seconds later. This lasts... literally as long as it takes for your team to get to the end encounter. It’s so bad it’s hilarious.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bust Rodd posted:

It takes you 19 minutes to get to the boss. Strike is bad.

You can get there in about 8 minutes at Nightfall difficulty, aside from the elevator and killing the ogres most fights can just be skipped.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Strikes where you can sequence break the boss and burn it down in 0.69 seconds: good.

Strikes with hard hitpoint checks where you can't burn them down: bad.

Then there's the mid tier where you can burn them down if you get all three people to really unload on the boss, like infinite forest cabal guy and savathun's strike boss.

Strikes should get more trivial the more powerful we get, and poo poo like Nokris or screechy taken lady can gently caress off.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Strikes where you can burn the boss down to 32% health and have him go on a headless, boundary-defying spiteful rampage: BEST

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The mindbender strike boss loving sucks because she goes into her splitting animation where she is immune while still attacking which is just cheap

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Calaveron posted:

The mindbender strike boss loving sucks because she goes into her splitting animation where she is immune while still attacking which is just cheap

That's Broodhold, the Hollowed Lair boss is bad for other reasons.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

There’s a fun glitch with the Pyramidion boss where if you don’t kill him right away and blow his head off, he doesn’t stay behind the barrier. He chases after you and can’t be damaged until you take the barrier down. I love watching pubbies keep shooting him and doing nothing.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Why’d they make it so that huge crowd of ads in the tangled shore strike don’t count towards anything? It’s such a weird choice when the green room exists and continues to exist.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Blind Rasputin posted:

Why’d they make it so that huge crowd of ads in the tangled shore strike don’t count towards anything? It’s such a weird choice when the green room exists and continues to exist.

If I understand correctly, only ads that are specifically placed by the developer, or are otherwise specifically accounted for (like blockers in Gambit), count for objective progress. Things that spawn infinitely, or that spawn from other enemies, like taken psion clones, don't seem to count.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Strikes where you can burn the boss down to 32% health and have him go on a headless, boundary-defying spiteful rampage: BEST

I'm not finding any lies here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

How the gently caress did I miss that?