Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It's a bit of a hassle to switch to the SSD, but the effect on menu load times is enormous. It went from a major thorn in the side to a complete non-issue (although it still doesn't like loading ships/sparrows/shader previews while you're in warp).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Paracelsus posted:

It's a bit of a hassle to switch to the SSD, but the effect on menu load times is enormous. It went from a major thorn in the side to a complete non-issue (although it still doesn't like loading ships/sparrows/shader previews while you're in warp).

You don't just plug it into the USB port and download the game to it?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I think they are talking about replacing the internal drive with an SSD. That is what I did with mine, dunno if an external SSD would be the same.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh yeah, this is where I always end up giving up, when it turns out that only an internal SSD upgrade will make any improvements and that it requires a bunch of stupid tools and bios flashing or whatever

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The swap and getting it running took like 15 minutes with a PS4, it's just downloading stuff again that takes time and you'd have to do that with an external anyway.

tools required were a philips head and a usb stick.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
External SSD is still a noticeable increase on performance on the bonx

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

It is insanely easy to swap the ps4 harddrive like they designed it to be swappable. You also dont need an internal ssd to see big benefits, mine is external.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You don't just plug it into the USB port and download the game to it?

You don't have to redownload the game. Once the usb drive is plugged in you go press the start button on Destiny, and select 'manage game'. Somewhere in that dialog will be an option to move the version already on your console to the new device.

(don't use the 'copy' option because if a copy of destiny already exists on the internal hard drive, it takes precedence over the usb attached storage).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oh yeah, this is where I always end up giving up, when it turns out that only an internal SSD upgrade will make any improvements and that it requires a bunch of stupid tools and bios flashing or whatever

This is absolutely not true, who keeps telling you this and why do you listen to them.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Yeah that's 100% false. My experience changed completely and I just have a veryyyy cheap SSD in an external enclosure plugged into one of the USB 3.0 ports on the back of my One S. I don't even have the One X.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

the only issue i had with switching the HDD on PS4 is that the link to the firmware in the instructions on the official site were for an outdated version and I had to scroll down and search for a link to the current one.

other than that you just switch out the HDD, insert a USB drive with the firmware on it, turn it on, and follow like 2 or 3 instructions.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
These are my load times on a ps4 pro with ssd.

https://youtu.be/CfC-JC8plQ0

Its pretty good. Menus are pretty quick too.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

Im trying to get a useable roll on a hard truths.

The only roll that might actually make it not poo poo is: Medium zoom scope, zen moment, tap the trigger and stability MW. And a counter balance mod.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

CheeseFactory posted:

Im trying to get a useable roll on a hard truths.

The only roll that might actually make it not poo poo is: Medium zoom scope, zen moment, tap the trigger and stability MW. And a counter balance mod.

It gets owned HARD if you miss any headshots. The magazine is unforgivably tiny too. I have actually had better luck with...

Because apparently Zen Moment only gives a 66% boost to the base stability, so it only gets a 66% boost to its native 15 stability. T-T-T gives very high stability until Under Pressure starts kicking in.

Of course both of these are about to get worse when Ricochet gets nerfed, but it'll still probably be best in slot perk for the gun.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It gets owned HARD if you miss any headshots. The magazine is unforgivably tiny too. I have actually had better luck with...

Because apparently Zen Moment only gives a 66% boost to the base stability, so it only gets a 66% boost to its native 15 stability. T-T-T gives very high stability until Under Pressure starts kicking in.

Of course both of these are about to get worse when Ricochet gets nerfed, but it'll still probably be best in slot perk for the gun.

I have the same roll as your second roll but with stability MW.

So yeah. If zen moment is poo poo then i won't even bother.

I just kinda hope they get a 10% buff and bungie are wording poo poo weird and they might actually be decent.

There are just so few good kenetic sidearms and smgs. Smugglers and Antiope really.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Should I hang on to iron boner tokens or spend them before the season ends?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

big nipples big life posted:

Should I hang on to iron boner tokens or spend them before the season ends?

If you want better rolls on the weapons or armour, I guess you could use them. (The armour can come with enhanced perks, which is nice). Otherwise you might as well wait for post-Shadowkeep, the tokens will probably still work and they should reward 2.0 armour.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Hold on to your IB tokens. IB will give enhanced perks for the armor 2.0 season starting next season. Many are hoarding tokens this IB specifically to use next season!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

hot take:

the new exotic heavy machine gun coming with shadowkeep will be top tier pvp

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

Tei posted:

hot take:

the new exotic heavy machine gun coming with shadowkeep will be top tier pvp

Might even be more broken than truth in gambit

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Not at home so I can't check, but if I already have all the expansions and season pass up to this point, how much will I pay for Shadowkeep and the season pass?

There's an option online that says $35 that includes Destiny 2, Shadowkeep, and the Season Pass but I obviously don't need Destiny 2.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
$35

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

35 just includes shadowkeep and season of the undying, for the full season pass you need the deluxe version which is 60 bucks.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
ok i know that bungies continued desire to use their own terminology can get confusing but lets be clear

year 3 of destiny 2 has four distinct season passes, and a purchase of shadowkeep comes with one of them. buying the digital deluxe edition of shadowkeep gets you four of them. there is no "full" season pass

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

before the new season pass the old season pass gave you a year of content so yeah, the way they are handling the wording of it is dumb. the season "included" with shadowkeep would have just been the expansion content under the old definitions.

basically if you just want the expansion then buy the 35 dollar one and if you want year 3 buy the 60 dollar one.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

well they called the old thing an annual pass and didnt even use the words "season pass" until the leadup to shadowkeep and y3, but yes

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Today I spent three hours with my boyfriend trying to do the Thorn flavor of Savathun’s Song. Two of those were the boss, during which I went through all five stages of grief. The few times we got the Song down to the last phase the Thorn-specific knights just pulverized us immediately.

...we gave up. There are too many loving thralls to give them all a one hit kill buff.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

this isn't a "git gud this guy can solo it" post, you can see some good positioning for the boss fight and how he deals with thralls in the vid. the galaxy brain collections move at the first dunk spot is top tier as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cswqt640EkE

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Really the first and best advice is to go in with 3 players, none of you need to be destiny gods and having two alternate targets/rescuers makes it that much easier.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

haveblue posted:

Really the first and best advice is to go in with 3 players, none of you need to be destiny gods and having two alternate targets/rescuers makes it that much easier.

Yeah we both came to that conclusion and will return to it later with someone found online.

That said, the actual strike part was pretty cool to play this way! We were dying a lot to basically anything but it made us play rly conservatively and strategically and it felt extremely satisfying when we made it through a checkpoint.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Got a Gnawing Hunger the other night right before I logged off. Haven't gotten to play with it much but it had Zen Moment and the Demolitionist perk. I stuck a Counterbalance mod on it and Arrowhead Breaks so it's a laser now. Excited to get home and try it out tonight. Also excited to see how it performs when it's buffed in Shadowkeep.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Daric posted:

Got a Gnawing Hunger the other night right before I logged off. Haven't gotten to play with it much but it had Zen Moment and the Demolitionist perk. I stuck a Counterbalance mod on it and Arrowhead Breaks so it's a laser now. Excited to get home and try it out tonight. Also excited to see how it performs when it's buffed in Shadowkeep.

Due to the silly way that recoil Direction works, your gun is actually worse with a counter balance mod in it. If you just use Arrowhead and any other mod, your Recoil will be more manageable.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Due to the silly way that recoil Direction works, your gun is actually worse with a counter balance mod in it. If you just use Arrowhead and any other mod, your Recoil will be more manageable.

Gotcha, hopefully I can find something worth throwing in there then.

The Demolitionist I think will be pretty good as I use Sentinel with Doom Fang Pauldrons. So my melee recharges my super, my grenade recharges my melee, and now my gun recharges my grenade.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Daric posted:

Gotcha, hopefully I can find something worth throwing in there then.

A targeting adjuster seldom goes amiss.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Paracelsus posted:

A targeting adjuster seldom goes amiss.

This, forever

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Targeting adjuster is the "I don't know what the gently caress else to do so I'll slap that in i guess."

+5 aim assist isn't bad but it's not game changing either.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

xzzy posted:

Targeting adjuster is the "I don't know what the gently caress else to do so I'll slap that in i guess."

+5 aim assist isn't bad but it's not game changing either.

It's sneaky good on fusions, my goddamn favorite for long range vooping

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
https://i.imgur.com/cRQnDhb.gifv

Woo, 3 tokens!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

goblin week posted:

Yeah we both came to that conclusion and will return to it later with someone found online.

That said, the actual strike part was pretty cool to play this way! We were dying a lot to basically anything but it made us play rly conservatively and strategically and it felt extremely satisfying when we made it through a checkpoint.

You're likely underleveled for it. But for clearing out a ton of enemies I would suggest using our one true God, Telesto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009
I’ve always been a Luna’s/Trust man, but I farmed up some Waking Vigils and those rip as well. Really need to get on the Spare Rations grind.