Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Evidently there had been a bureaucratic mixup somewhere. Instead of being posted to the Sector Administration Section (which Maru had been assured was such a hotbed of intrigue this season), the shugenja had instead been rapidly reassigned to nine different positions in four days. Thankfully that number was not instead ten, as the exasperated commander of the local station had then thrown up her hands and forcibly acquired the ear of some senior Miya bureaucrat before any more complications could come up. So after two more days of waiting, schmoozing, predicting all that waiting and schmoozing, and sending email updates to her adoptive parents about the waiting/schmoozing/predicting, Maru found herself on a shuttle to some dowager of a battleship. Doubtless this didn't necessarily play into the immediate designs of the Scorpion, but they could still make something of it.

Benten's Touch, TN 15: 5d10o10k3! 18

Regardless of who her superior was, or of his reputation on wheedling out concessions from the clans while keeping the choicest bits for the Imperial Families, it did not hurt to make a good impression with Seppun Zakuro. And the same could be said (differently) for her new colleagues, who seemed to be a strange joke on the part of Shimura (Fortune of Chance, or of Probability in more scholarly circles). So a quick prayer to the local kami wouldn't be much of a bother, would it?

But Hiruma-san here was an unexpected variable, displaying the stereotypical Crab...candor. If Seppun-sama carried a knife behind his back, then his companion certainly had hers in the front. Best not to have either of them draw. "You summoned us, Seppun-sama? I should hope that we're not interrupting your prior meeting or anything of the sort. Or might you in fact be our contact, Hiruma-sama?" Hopefully this was indeed the case, for Maru hadn't predicted yet another bureaucratic mixup (or other bad outcome) for herself.

Benten's Blessing is up for the next while, for +1k1 + 3 to Social Skill rolls. Also I figured I'd run with the change in premise and make something of it. :v:

pre:
Tako Maru

Tako Shugenja 2

Insight 157	Honor 4.5	Status 1	Glory 2		Exp 70/70

Earth   2	Stamina		2	Willpower	2
Air     3	Reflexes	3	Awareness	3
Water   3	Strength	3	Perception	3
Fire    3	Agility		3	Intelligence	3
Void    2
Total Spent: 48

Techniques/Masteries
Guided by Fate Expend spell slots to gain +1k0 to one Social Skill Roll as Free Actions,
to a maximum of School Rank. Gain Free Raise on any spell with the Divination keyword.
Courtier Mastery 3: +3 to Insight.
Etiquette Mastery 3: +3 to Insight.

Skills:		Rank	Trait	Emphasis	Rolls
*Acting         1	Awa			4k3
Athletics       1	Str			4k3
*Calligraphy    1	Int			4k3
Commerce        2	Awa			6k3
*Courtier       3	Awa			6k3
*Divination     2	Int	Astrology	5k3
*Etiquette      3	Awa			6k3
Firearms        1	Ref			4k3
Investigation   1	Per			5k3
Kenjutsu        1	Agi			4k3
Lore (Any)      0	Int			4k3
Meditation      1	Voi			4k3
Programming     2	Awa			6k3
*Sincerity      1	Awa			4k3
*Spellcraft     1	Int			4k3
Total Spent: 23
*School Skills

Advantages			Disadvantages
Sage				Dark Secret (Peasant-born)
Reincarnated			Idealistic
				Wrath of the Kami (Earth)
Total: 9			Total: 10
Total Spent: -1

Reincarnated Skills
Commerce
Investigation
Programming

Spells
Air (5k3): Benten's Touch, Tempest of Air, Voice of the Wind
Earth (3k2): -
Fire (5k3): Fire Kami's Blessing, Tail of the Fire Dragon
Water (6k3): Path to Inner Peace, Reflections of Pan Ku, Reflective Pool, Visions of the Future
Universal: Sense, Summon, Commune

Combat
TN-to-be-hit:		20
Initiative:		5k3
Attack:			3k3 (unarmed) or 4k3 (wakizashi)
Damage:			3k1 (unarmed) or 5k2 (wakizashi)
Reduction:		0

Outfit: Robes, Wakizashi, Knife, Scroll Satchel, Travelling Pack, 3 koku

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

"We shall find what there is to find, Seppun-sama. But I must first consult the stars and the kami." Maru bowed, then left with her colleagues once business was concluded. Evidently several of them had projects to work on related to the task, but in Maru's case her talents were of a somewhat abstract nature. Still, it wouldn't hurt to try. After all, the saying went that Acceptable Risk was not the same thing as No Risk. And so after the group split up to prepare, Maru headed back to her cabin and opened the viewport. Even with today's advanced computer technology to detail numerous stellar positions and velocities at once, astrological divinations were still notoriously imprecise. (This had been, centuries earlier, found to be a consequence of the chaotic nature of the n-body problem. Nowadays an unscrupulous diviner might spout mathematical nonsense to an unsuspecting patron in addition to the usual cold reading.)

Divination (Astrology), TN 15: 5d10ro1o10k3! 24

Excellent - she had an omen on which to base more concrete findings. With more time Maru might be able to use a pond or other natural body of water to importune for Visions of the Future; such was traditional. But in the modern space-faring society of the Empire, one had to make do with what was on hand. Like plugging up the shower drain and leaving the faucet on for a minute.

Visions of the Future, TN 15 (-5 for Free Raise): 6d10o10k3! 16

Maru was not quite so skilled as her sensei (who could make such speculations in a small teacup), but regardless the shower stall was workable. Though the local water kami were a bit miffed of the indignity. Now how to break the news?

Air Spells: 2/3
Water Spells: 2/3
Otherwise I'm fishing for information, as befits a diviner. :v: Also if anyone is interested in making use of :banjo: Voice of the Wind (bonus to Perform, lesser Social bonus), :words: Benten's Blessing (Social bonus), or :eng101: Fire Kami's Blessing (bonus to Int-based High or Merchant skills) in the future, just ask here or on Discord. I'll probably be fine with it - after all, what's the use of taking such buffs if they can't go to use?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Generally it was better to have an abundance of options rather than a dearth of them, even if in this case "options" meant "potentially seedy leads in a contractual investigation". There were the Crane and the Scorpion to check in with, the primary Crab facilities to tour (with the exact proper amount of deference - no more, no less), the prison to examine and keep one eye on, and finally the larger ecosystem (with Chikushudo influence, naturally). Plus Maru had more personal concerns with the Scorpion, who was hopefully sober right now. Hopefully.

But if Darano was collecting data, then it would be good to help him out. "During our prior downtime I made sure to importune for glimpses of the future with the local kami. Unfortunately, any given kami's perception of time and causality will be decidedly different from that of humanity, so I must give you the standard disclaimer that all such visions will be oblique at best. But these things I have seen are nonetheless true, just...tangled." Maru laid out her visions at best she could with appropriate description and passable artistry. (Nothing that would impress Doji-sama, of course.)
  • The first vision of ogre-as-Moto seemed as of yet unconnected to their surroundings. But perhaps some Unicorn expedition was on its way? It would be good to check the records for scheduled arrivals.
  • The second vision seemed to have a straightforward connection to the local prison, perhaps of an impending prison riot or of bad blood between gangs.
  • The third vision likely had to do with favors with hidden strings attached. Most likely involving the Scorpion, given the many-legged creature she'd seen. Or perhaps the legendary Spider clan of centuries past?
After finishing with the technical bits of discussion, Maru recomposed herself. "Regardless, we can still make ourselves known with cursory inquiries. One cannot sift through small details without examining the large ones, after all. Thus, given Jiro-san's assertiveness, I shall consult with their counterpart, Shosuro-sama. Hopefully they will be...receiving guests...at this time." Maru made a bottle-swigging gesture with hand and neck; it was impolite, but among colleagues and no one else she could loosen up a bit. "Finally, if you'll forgive any impertinence I should like to have a closer look at the workings of your drones, Darano-san. I have limited expertise with the hardware side of things, but in contrast I do have some skill with software. Perhaps we might have such discussions after dinner, with your allowance?"

Basically, Darano is good for Engineering while Maru is good for Programming. Plus Fire Kami's Blessing is a useful thing.

Other than that, visiting Shosuro-san who's probably drunk and reapplying Benten's Blessing in preparation for that.
Benten's Blessing again: 5d10ro1o10k3! 17 So that's another success, but this time I'm using a Void slot because I've got a few to spare and I don't have Ishiken-Do.
Air Spells: 2/3
Water Spells: 2/3
Void Spells: 1/2

• Locked thread