Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Loved the movie for what it was considering it's limitations. Definitely agree that making Killy function on low power was pretty lame but I can see why they did it to add tension. Cibo, GBE, Sanakan, and the Safeguard were all very well done and looked awesome. My biggest gripe about the whole thing was that super cheesy wind instrument theme that plays whenever Killy is on screen. It felt like an attempt to make him seem like some silent Sasuke badass instead of an ancient half functional computer program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Yeah that's the one. I dunno, I guess our tastes are different. The loud gong at the start with the flutes and then the piano melody sounds really cheesy to me. Like something from your typical anime fighting game

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Bought the master edition volumes by Vertical. Reading these over the scans on kissmanga is a world of difference in terms of figuring out whats going on/what people are saying.

1 question though, who was the Silicon Life cyborg that Maeve fuses with before the climax of Toha Industries? I know that Killy beat the poo poo out of it (her?) during his gravity furnace adventures but not much other info is given apart from Cibo stating that it/she was the newest model of Silicon Life and that she had the ability to regenerate which was something that the Silicon Life in the present timeline were unable to do.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Baronjutter posted:

It was from some parallel universe and not really explained.
The whole Toha Industries bit is probably my least favourite section. It just got a little too weird but in a way that felt lazy and making-it-up-as-you-go, which is my biggest complaint with his post-blame! work. Biomega started quite interesting but then went right off the rails and it felt like Lost or Battlestar Galactica where the illusion of a weird mystery or that the writers know where they're going was dashed. Sometimes I think he needs to partner up with a good scifi writer to keep him on track. I'm fine with crazy weird poo poo, just weave it into some sort of consistent plot.

A lot of his weirder shorts are fine because they are shorts, they don't have time for the plot to go off the rails. I also prefer his nearly emotionless cyborgs to his "human" characters because I have zero tolerance for the personality or dialog tropes found in manga/anime.

yeah Toha was pretty confusing to follow initially. I had to read forums and wikis to find out what was actually going on, especially with lovely scanslations. Even after making sense of all it, the time jumping does seem pretty random. I do like the concept of an ancient business corporation acting autonomously from the city but the double Cibo gravity furnace part was pretty random.

I actually like the way he draws his characters now. Faces are definitely less derpy and you can tell what emotions are being displayed. But for something like Blame! I prefer the original art. The fisheye look kind of fits the setting and sort of emphasizes how non-human Cibo and Killy are.

With his new style Killy and Tanikaze look really similar though

• Locked thread