Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
:siren::siren:Release date: May 30th:siren::siren:
Steam link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/418460 Currently $22.49
gmg link: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/rising-storm-2-vietnam-digital-deluxe-edition/ Price went up, now $26.99
Mumble: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796734
Discord: ??? I don't use discord so if you know of/run one of the million, suggest it and I'll add it.

Gameplay vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajAQXiMiDuw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDIGghMNa8&t=1s The first 8 minutes of this is his opinions and info about the game, but the intro is pretty badass so I thought I'd include it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm2SrJIjDBI Some Cobra pilot & gunner gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BYOSENcVFE Flamethrower gameplay. The best god drat weapon in the game.

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam follows on the heel of the standalone expansion from Red Orchestra 2, but thankfully developed by Antimatter Games and only published by Tripwire. Developed on the Unreal Engine, it brings the right amount of jankiness we all love, pitching two teams of up to 32 players, including a commander, in three ...

Game modes:
Skirmish: 16v16, players start with an initial time limit of two minutes to capture and hold three objectives. During the first two minutes respawns are unlimited, but after the two minute mark death is permanent. A team can extend and refresh their respawns for 40 seconds by capturing an objective. After 5 minutes, there is no possibility to extend respawn timers in a sudden death mode. No commander, no vehicles and no squad spawning mechanics.
Territories: 32v32 attack/defend; attackers must push defenders out of their objectives along a path of moving objectives. Includes vehicles, squad spawning, and commanders. Both teams have spawn tickets that can be depleted.
Supremacy: 32v32 linked objectives; teams must capture objectives and maintain the link between captured objectives and homebase to gain points. First team to the point limit or highest score at time wins, or the first team that runs out of tickets usually loses. Includes vehicles, squad spawning, and commanders.

Pre-order Bonus!
No one cares, they're cosmestics and pre-order bonuses are for scrubs. But if you must know, pre-purchase the digital deluxe and get...
Oh, before that, you unlock cosmestics as you level. There is a green helmet that the NVA get that looks exactly like the American helmets and causes plenty of teamkills, it's great. Other than that, it's all cosmetic. Onto the "bonuses"!:

and some Killing Floor 2 skins

Some basic QA stuff:

quote:

Q: Does the game feature a modding SDK? What can you do with it?
A: Yes the game features a full SDK. Modders can do anything from new maps and weapons to full total conversions if they wish. It is most similar to UE3/UDK with game specific unreal script extensions and middleware additions.

Q: What Factions Are Available in Game?
A: United States Army, USMC, Northern Liberation Front (Vietcong) and the People's Army of Vietnam (North Vietnamese Army).

:siren:Q: What Anti Cheat System Does The Game Use:siren:
A: The game features both Valve Anti Cheat (VAC) and Easy Anti Cheat (EAC)

Commanders
The commander is a unique kinda guy. He has the ability to use a radio to call in air support, recon/scout planes to spot enemies on the map, call anti-air support, and to force faster reinforcements if half the team got killed by a friendly arty strike. The commander can also run around and help attacking/defending and either return to a radio outpost to call in support, or to use a radioman if one is nearby.

Support calls by commander
Coordinate markings for squad leaders (US & PAVN/NLF)
Artillery barrage (US & PAVN/NLF) - Up to 5 volleys per barrage; Cooldown ~7 minutes.
Napalm strike (US) - Up to two tanks per strike; Cooldown ~7 minutes. This thing has a huge kill radius due to sheer heat.
AC-47 Spooky Gun Barrage (US) - Gunship blankets an area in fire, enemy and friendly in the area will die. Cooldown ~8 minutes.
Recon plane (US) - Scout plane that circles the map for 30-45 seconds, spots enemies that move or fire on the map. Cooldown ~2 minutes.
Scout report (PAVN/NLF) - Scout report, reports all movements/shots fired by the enemy for 30-45 seconds. Cooldown ~2 minutes.
Reinforcements (US) - Force all spawns at the main base; useful if half the team is dead. Cooldown ~4 minutes.
Ambush (PAVN/NLF) - Forces all dead team members to spawn on the commander; useful if commander is active and is in the fight. Cooldown ~4 minutes.
Anti-air SAM (PAVN/NLF) - Anti-air will take out any support craft active, including recon and AC-47, and any helicopters above 75 meters. Cooldown ~3 minutes.

Squads

quote:

You can form and be in a squad of up to 6 people. Squad leaders can set markers with binocs for commander support calls. You can also rename your squad because why not.
US Squad leaders act as mobile spawn points in Territories and Supremacy game modes.
PAVN/NLF Squad leaders can build spawn tunnels for their squad, as long as it is in dirt and not within 25 meters of an objective.

Classes with corrections by Dvsilverwing

quote:

American:
Grunt: The bulk of the force, carries M14 or M16, two grenades.
Pointman: Standard infantry, but with an SMG or shotgun; spots explosives and traps. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Machinegunner: M60 life. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Marksman: M40 or M21; weapon type may be limited by faction. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Grenadier: M79 GL. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Combat Engineer: The only weapon that matters; the flamethrower Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Commander: One per team, calls in support assets.
Pilot: Pilots spawn at a separate base far from combat, and act as either pilot, gunner for the Cobra, or co-pilots. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Radioman: Has a radio for the commander; needs to stay with the commander.

PAVN/NLF
Rifleman: (PAVN) Standard infantry class, AKM/Type 56/Type 56-1 or SKS-45.
Guerrilla: (NLF) AKM/Type 56/Type 56-1 and SKS-45, with the option of unscoped Mosin Nagant.
Machine Gunner: RPD or DP-28. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
RPG: IZH-43 hunting shotgun or SKS (possibly, will update). The RPG backblast is one of the most satisfying kills. Also: get lot of tks with backblast. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Sapper: PPSh or SKS-45, plants mines in tunnels or other highly-trafficked areas. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Scout: MAT-49 or IZH-43. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Sniper: (PAVN) SVD or Mosin. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Sniper: (NLF) Mosin Nagant. Limited slots depending on map team limits.
Commander: One per team, calls in support assets.
Radioman: Radio operators get the same loadouts as the default class, but carries a radio for mobile support calls; needs to stay with commander if the commander is mobile.

Weapons seen in the open beta and free weekend:

quote:

US Weapons
C4 Explosive
M14
M16A1
M18 Claymore Mine
M18 Signal Smoke
M1911-A1
M34 White Phosphorus Grenade
M37 Ithica
M3A1
M40
M60
M61 Grenade
M79 Greande Launcher
M8 Smoke Grenade
M9 Flamethrower

PAVN/NLF Weapons
DP-28
DShk
IZH-43
MAT-49
MD-82 Mine
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Mosin Nagant 91/30 PU
Pickaxe Mattock
PPSH-41
Punji Trap
RDG-1 Smoke Grenade
RPD
RPG-7 Rocket Launcher
SKS-45
SVD
Tripwire Trap
TT-33
Type 56
Type 67 Grenade

Vehicles
There are three helicopters available to the US Army and USMC:
AH-1 Cobra, OH-6 Loach and the UH-1 Huey for troop transport. All three fit a pilot and co-pilot, and can be brought down by sufficient small arms fire or PAVN/NLF anti-air support called in by the commannder.

THIS GAME IS LOUD
Especially when there is an artillery strike on or near you. It is loud, you will not be able to hear poo poo during an arty strike.

I may be missing things and it's possible some things may change last minute; if you have suggestions I'll add them.

automaticswim fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
~just in case~

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

The game is good, buy it. Still under $20 on GMG.

Some minor corrections:

NVA faction gets Rifleman as their standard class, it has the AKM/Type 56/Type 56-1 available alongside the SKS. The VC get Guerilla as their standard class, which offers the same AKM/Type 56/Type 56-1 and SKS as the Rifleman, however also offers the option of an unscoped Mosin Nagant 91/30.

The RPG class gets the SKS(?) or IZH-43 as a primary in addition to the RPG.

Sapper offers both the PPSH as well as the SKS.

Scout gives the Vietnamese and French MAT-49 variants as well as the IZH-43.

NVA Sniper can use the Mosin or SVD. VC can only use the Mosin.

Radio operators get the same loadouts as the default class, they simply offer the benefit of being a mobile radio for the TL.

US Marksman either has the option for M40 OR M21 or ONLY the M40. I'm not sure which loadout is which for Army or Marines.

It's also worth noting that some weapons have different ammunition options:

The US shotguns allow either 00 Buck or #4 Buck, with the exception of the Duckbill modified shotgun which only allows for #4.

The Vietnamese shotgun allows for 00 Buck, Slugs, or a 50/50 mix of the two.

The M79 allows for either HE or Buckshot rounds, or a 50/50 mix of the two.

The PPSH allows for 5 30-round stick magazines or 2 75-round drums.

The M60 allows for a single 200(?) round belt or two(?) 100(?) round belts.

The Mat-49 is weird because it's sort of the same way, but also not really... there are two variants, French and Vietnamese, the French fires 9mm which holds its damage better at range and does more damage, while the Vietnamese fires 7.62x25 which loses damage faster at range and does less damage but has more penetration. Also worth nothing the Vietnamese has a longer barrel and groups tighter when tap-firing and also has a significantly higher ROF.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 23, 2017

Hornet
Nov 13, 2007
Gamer
The grenade launcher is secretly the best shotgun. Those buckshot rounds are great.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Buying it because i'm easily influenced.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I had credit on GMG so I got this.

I hope you bitch-niggaz are still playing it in 3 weeks.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I hate tripwire but this was really cheap and fun so yeah.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I had credit on GMG so I got this.

I hope you bitch-niggaz are still playing it in 3 weeks.

Personally I can pick up RO2 or RS1, even Darkest Hour, and still enjoy them. I doubt the game will die out population-wise anytime in the near future.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The biggest problem I saw in the open beta is that really bad chopper pilots in supremacy will have a huge part in losing the fights for the US side. The Vietnamese just need an okay squad leader who remembers to dig his hole, but if the US gets transport pilots that don't know how to land they will have up to six players wobbling around in the air for minutes at a time. The bad pilots take so much time landing (and have a high chance of killing everyone they're carrying through various means) that the US would be better off just having their players walk, and those walking guys would reach the objective a minute or two before the bad chopper pilot would.

The loach and the cobra are completely necessary to busting tunnels too. If you have a good pair of loach and cobra pilots you can keep the VC from backcapping points or even mounting a good offensive, but bad ones will spend the whole game crashing, getting shot down by SAMs, and generally will maybe achieve one kill throughout the entire play period.

Game is otherwise pretty well balanced despite being asymmetrical, it's just that when you have garbage babies in important roles that don't reach the skill floor for basic functionality you end up with huge team disparities. Having 12/32 players being kidnapped by transport pilots and spending 2-3 minutes out of the fight sucks.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Honestly the strongest use for transports that I saw was being dropped off at a middle/back point when the enemy had you almost all-capped in order to force them to fall back to the point or stop gaining points due to a broken link, as well as to combat/recapture against the same tactic.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Dvsilverwing posted:

Honestly the strongest use for transports that I saw was being dropped off at a middle/back point when the enemy had you almost all-capped in order to force them to fall back to the point or stop gaining points due to a broken link, as well as to combat/recapture against the same tactic.

Yeah, but no matter how they're used if you have guys stuck in a helicopter for 2-3 minutes because of bad pilots then you're going to be getting hosed up.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dvsilverwing posted:

The game is good, buy it. Still under $20 on GMG.

The game is currently $15 on cdkeys and $11.5 on Kinguin.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Don't worry, Woop and I are experienced pilots who will carry all of you swiftly to your deaths.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
im a fighter ace not a sky bus driver

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Commoners posted:

but bad ones will spend the whole game crashing, getting shot down by SAMs, and generally will maybe achieve one kill throughout the entire play period.

my favorites were the cobra pilots that would do gun runs that always ended in them crashing into their targets after their volley :downs:

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Joined the beta late and didn't get to play a ton, but really enjoyed my short time playing. It's nice to see a Vietnam FPS, I love the setting. The Vietnamese were so much fun to play with the tunnels, traps etc. Brought me back to BF:Vietnam, I can see myself playing a lot of this.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Heads up to everyone who is interested in this game but doesn't know if they want to buy yet (or anyone with common sense, really): Rising Storm GOTY is free on Humble Bundle for the next 1 day 20 hours and 23 minutes.

The gameplay is similar and it's still quite active. You even get to enjoy the same stereotypical slurs from both sides of the fight!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I bought this, played the beta looking forward to crashing helicopters.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
4 days is still a long time for this garbage

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Remember, always affix your bayonets: https://clips.twitch.tv/KnottyBashfulSaladImGlitch

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
wait you can do that? i always ran around buttstroking

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

automaticswim posted:

wait you can do that? i always ran around buttstroking

Yup, just hit c with most rifles (if it doesn't attach a bayo it usually has some other function like folding the stock or bipod). Apparently having the bayonet on increases sway but I've never noticed a difference.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
This game is cool and good but people really seem to enjoy speaking in terrible accents over VC radio.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Game is good and fun and I will play with you all.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm excited to die in a fire

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

caedwalla posted:

This game is cool and good but people really seem to enjoy speaking in terrible accents over VC radio.

Yeah, it was the same for Rising Storm 1 with the JPA until the playerbase died off and all that were left were the serious players. It's not funny, stop doing it.

Here's another neat fact: when you play as the NLF, their rifleman class can take an unscoped mosin, and their MG gunner can take a DP-28. It's too bad you can't try them in the firing range.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I completely missed out on everything leading up to this game, to the point that I didn't know a sequel to Rising Storm was being made until last Thursday. I impulsively bought it because of how much fun I had with Rising Storm. How was the beta?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Loved the beta for this, despite having all the Red Orchestra and Rising Storm games in my Steam library and having never played a minute of all of them.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Pesticide20 posted:

I completely missed out on everything leading up to this game, to the point that I didn't know a sequel to Rising Storm was being made until last Thursday. I impulsively bought it because of how much fun I had with Rising Storm. How was the beta?

It was good, apart from some grass pop in for me, it ran well and felt like a Rising Storm game.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Pesticide20 posted:

I thought RO2 was a huge letdown/waste of potential and I wasn't all that impressed with Rising Storm 1 but I had a blast with this during the beta. Also helps that it's <$20.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I was playing RO2/RS1 up until last year and took advantage of the 25% off pre-order for this. I didn't get round to trying the Beta but have heard good things.

Can't wait to get back into it. :flame:

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Not sure how I learned of this game only a couple of days ago despite playing plenty of RO1 and 2 back in the day, but it looks really fun so I went ahead and pre-ordered.

Happy to see the PPSh is back. :getin:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Not sure how I learned of this game only a couple of days ago despite playing plenty of RO1 and 2 back in the day, but it looks really fun so I went ahead and pre-ordered.

Happy to see the PPSh is back. :getin:

PPSh only exists on VC scouts though.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Party Plane Jones posted:

Oh I don't mind that they're keeping it somewhat rare. All the guns I've seen in gameplay videos look fun and deadly anyway.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
Blind buying on the promise of squatting in a bush with an SKS

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Some prime listening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtuueqJkgjA

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

An error occurred when updated Rising Storm 2: Vietnam (missing executable)

See the Steam support site for more information.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

An error occurred when updated Rising Storm 2: Vietnam (missing executable)

See the Steam support site for more information.

Restart steam.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I'm so drat excited to get home from work and shoot some baddies (for whichever side I'm on, usually americans actually as I much prefer squad tunnels to Leader spawns, not to mention the loving PPSH!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Party Plane Jones posted:

Sappers too!

• Locked thread