Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

But you can make up for that with Gunnery, right?

Not only that, but you can also get the passive benefits of tactics if you grab whatever capstones you prefer first. Sensor lock is poop in comparison to getting +1 evade while moving or half damage when standing still. Granted, the second capstone in Tactics is the beesknees, but requiring Sensor Lock makes it so much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Eej posted:

If you're thinking of using a Panther as a scout you might as well just use a Tactics 2 Shadow Hawk cause it's way faster.

You should probably just grab a jump medium tbh. If someone has Master Tactician(and if someone has Sensor Lock they better loving have Master Tactician to make up for picking Sensor Lock), parking them in a light is a complete waste. Yay, you get to go before other lights! Or you could put them in a medium and pop Lights like whoa. Plus, going deep into tactics makes LRMs hellagood, so not using LRMs on it would be a waste, just not quite as much of one as putting the tactician into a light.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

GruntyThrst posted:

Only if I'm bad for wanting to restart to change my skill selection

This is really not worth it as you want 4 in all the trees relatively early.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
loving noble lady just headbutted a downed Jaeger to death on the prison mission. A downed Jaeger with a twice injured pilot and both torso sides left. Urghhhhh.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I didn't either, so it might have been a bug of some sort (or maybe he alpha'd in a surprise round, then alpha'd again without moving?). It was funny as hell, though.

He Jumpjets in.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Drone posted:

So if the goal is to capture a mech, is it better/easier to go for destroying both legs instead of going for hard-to-hit headshots?

I'm currently running a hunting team dedicated to bringing in all those delicious heavy pieces and knockdowns are your friend. 2 LRM platforms, 1 SRM platform and an AC20 Called Shot master to pop right and left torsos. Sandpapering with missiles is the best way to knock someone down without blowing out their center and has the benefit of frequently hitting the head thanks to the volume of missiles shat out. If you accidentally core a heavy you want and run into it again, go for the legs instead of trying to get all 3 pieces of salvage again. The difference between 3 and 4 pieces is minimal, while the difference between 2 and 3 is huge.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

How do I upgrade a second mech bay?

Do story missions until you get the argo.

Also, protip if you want to guarantee getting more mech salvage is to destroy as many components as possible. If you are getting 14 pieces of salvage and there are 14 or less pieces of total salvage, you get all of it, even if it is all high value mech pieces.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Gobblecoque posted:

So I finally got around to starting this and right after the tutorial it just goes to a screen with a ship and planet in the background and uh, nothing happens. Is it loading something? There's no loading icon. Is the game just broke? What do?

Change your res. You're missing a next button i think.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
I mean I like the game, but poo poo like waiting for sound effects and vocals to finish during an action before giving you control again is obviously not supposed to be that way. It is especially noticeable when you down mechs and the game decides to play certain sounds. It doesn't happen all that often to me, but every time I have to wait 5 seconds after a mech has fallen down before I can take another action pulls me out of the experience and is super loving annoying on many levels.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

rt4 posted:

Someone mentioned the Grasshopper earlier as a good choice for melee attacks. What are some other good punchbots?

I like my Dragon, and until you hit heavies, the Shadowhawk is the right combo of speedy and beefy to tide you over.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Eej posted:

Oh dang, what the heck. That's perfect for a PPC Sniper but if you're going like 10 deep into Tactics you might as well LRM boat.

Hard choices.

Going max tactics means your PPCs and LRMs have lower minimum range, which makes for hilarious responses to light flankers sometime. Plus combining PPCs and LRMs isn't that bad of a combo, just make sure the guy has both gunnery abilities so you can toss LRMs at dudes to strip defenses while PPCing targets that are low defense,

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

cheesetriangles posted:

Found a +2 damage LRM 20 :eyepop:

That thing shits out 120 damage now instead of 80.

Ayupp. +damage on LRMs is insane. 50% increase you say. +stab damage is more hilarious though, especially with split fire, so you can have 2 LRM boats capsize three mechs a turn.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Hello beautiful!

Finished the final mission with my King Crab and collection of 3 different highlanders(There can be only one ... letter difference in designations). Fun game, can't wait for whatever they put out next.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Ragingsheep posted:

Know which one? I need something that can carry a gauss rifle and at least 50 LRMs.

The last one.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I know, the optimal combo is Gunnery major Guts minor, but I like being able to scoot after shooting.

Major Tactics is probably the best ability in the game and by a huge margin. Not only is it better as you level, because called shot mastery is the single biggest increase in your ability to core you can get from any source, but once you start trucking around with 4x Heavies or Assault, being able to shed stability damage without using an action is huge. If I was redoing my run, I'd have Master Tactician on all my pilots, and Minor Gunnery on LRM pilots and Bulwark on frontliners. As you hit mid to late game, relying on evasion for damage mitigation is silly. And Bulwark has the advantage of protecting you against having your head shot out by a lucky AC20 hit. And this doesn't even get into how huge +1 initiative is at all weights.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Xae posted:

Major tactics is an OK skill.

But being able bypassing Bulwark and other DR status effects is huge.

You worry a lot less about stability when you just popp'ed off an AC20s into two different targets, by passing their 50% DR and killing them.

The amount of times I need to shoot into someone with 50% DR is minimal, as LRMs remove bracing just fine thanks to knockdowns and lets me use called shot mastery to core even assaults with dual AC20s, instead of doing 120 to two different targets, which often ends up hitting a location I don't care about.

Edit: KPC_Mammon knows whats up.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Wizard Styles posted:

I'm close to restarting because I made Glitch Gunnery 2/Guts 1 instead of Gunnery 1/Tactics 2 and I feel like I have failed her.

Luckily the game isn't really hard enough to warrant worrying over only having good instead of optimal skills, but still...

Yeah, my Glitch was Gunnery 1/Piloting 2 and I still used her the entire game. I wished she had Tactics 2 all the god drat time, but it still wasn't enough to get me to switch her out. My Commander also had the same skill setup because that combo is super good before you get into heavies and start rocking called shot mastery, but c'est la vie.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

This seems to play more like MWO than tabletop. The main tricks are use of terrain cover to block line of sight, so your whole lance is focus firing one enemy at a time, and then use of inspiration abilities to make sure you always have Guarded and Entrenched and to focus-fire enemy specific hit locations with called shots.

Bear in mind that called shots are pretty unreliable until you start getting up the tactics tree to improve them. When you do though, the combination of called shots and heavy firepower means most mechs below armored heavies die to a single salvo of called shots to the center.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
The pose on the Atlas :swoon:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

RabidWeasel posted:

I have two King Crabs with exactly zero AC20s between them :smug:

It's like a bike without wheels. Abominations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Honestly, I could do without the main questline in this game. I had way more fun doing mercenary stuff and hunting for mechs than I did on the scripted missions. In the future, I hope for more improvements to that aspect instead of another relatively uninteresting questline to follow. Give each faction some scripted missions for when you hit a breakpoint in relationship, positive or negative, and focus on making the freeform part of the game even better.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Tarezax posted:

There weren't any procedurally generated missions in MW4: Mercs either. All missions were part of a mini-campaign on each planet, often with a story branch depending on which contract you chose next. For example, on Styk, you get a choice between honor guard for peace talks between the locals and the Capellans or sabotaging the peace talks by assassinating the local delegates (of course at the behest of House Liao)

I've never actually played MW:4. Is it worth a play?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I gave the gauss an honest try guys; ran 7 missions with it on a Called Shot Master. Didn't ding a single head the entire time. The dice don't favor headshots for me, so I just can't justify building around a headshot weapon.

You use it because its heat to stab damage ratio is absurd. I don't think I've ever used it to fish for headshots. 2xAC20 mechs are what I use for that. The gauss goes onto a LRM boat, as my LRM pilots all have split fire.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Sonderval posted:

Have they mentioned anything about adding additional skills or edge to the game? I have my best mechwarriors maxed out with 150k+ XP built up and nothing to spend it on.

I just want maxed out pilots to stop racking up XP so dude stops telling me to go to the barracks every time something happens.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/153

Monthly Morale Reset. Every pay cycle, your crew morale resets back to a base value + Argo improvement bonuses, and events only provide monthly bonuses that expire.

Eh, this won't solve the problem of lances running 4x+3 Morale per turn. The issue with morale isn't your starting number, but how easy it is to use it twice a turn, every turn, forever.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

DiHK posted:

So make it optional for the cry babies, like optional in the same way that all mods are? It just brings back value to LL and ML.

The ML does not need value, good lord. And you'd have to make ammo management some awful poo poo to make the LL appealing in its current state.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

And Tyler Too! posted:

Parks and Mech

Parks and Mechreation

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

And Tyler Too! posted:

Jumpjets on everything, if it can't jump it's junk I say.

More like junkjets

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Alchenar posted:

Juggernaut should have turned into a passive that makes melee attacks called shots and causes you to brace on using them.

Don't even need the called shot aspect tbh. Just getting brace after wading in would do wonders.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
They need to decide if they want to balance the game around custom or stock mechs. Can't do both. Anything doable with stocks is easier with customs and anything that is difficult to handle with custom mechs is that much harder with stocks. If they decide to balance the game around everyone using good custom builds, they really need to improve on the customization tutorial.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

RBA Starblade posted:

Dekker vs A Deck

Dekker got decked

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Just stop maxed out pilots from gaining XP, but let the overall amount of XP given for a mission stay the same, so levelling a rookie in the endgame goes 4 times faster.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Big Urbie in little China.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Just bury the hatchet guys.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Skippy McPants posted:

It's okay, the life of a Jumpship captain would be boring anyway. They spend all their time lounging around LaGrange points waiting to give cooler people rides to more interesting places. They are the Uber drivers of the 31st century.

If I had a low gravity pool in my car, I'd also contemplate becoming an uber driver.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Unormal posted:

Ya'll reallllly need to play roguetech.

Really no trouble, you just run the all-in-one installer: https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/79?tab=files

You can switch back to vanilla at whim by just renaming the Mods folder so it doesn't get picked up.

I wish there was an all-in-one installer for Roguetech without the aggravating stuff. I want cool new poo poo to play around with, not turn it into Mech Manager 2018.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
The whole idea of not allowing anyone to create a mod pack with a mod is such a poo poo show. The majority of players just want to download a single installer, install it and go. But no, gotta gatekeep that poo poo for no reason beyond making poo poo aggravating for as many people as possible.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
I was ambivalent about Roguetech until they started gating off mods, so no one else can build off of some of the mods included the way Roguetech itself did when it first started.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Amechwarrior posted:

The new stuff coming out now is amazing. They have matured the process down to an art. The older ones blazed the trait and thus primitive, but are getting redone too. I'm actually debating with the texture guy about if it's safe/sane to release a "Macross" skin on the new WHM-Redux. I mean, I'd ride that poo poo every time, but I don't want HBS to get in trouble.

A company can't be held responsible for something they haven't produced or distributed. Otherwise Bethesda would have been sued to the ground for the various licenses that have cropped up in mods for their games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Companies. Suing companies. That sure sounds applicable when discussing modding.

Not to mention that the City of Heroes lawsuit went nowhere and got settled out of court without anything changing for CoH.