Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I finally decided to start reading Stackpoles thing that comes with the game, just finished the first novella, and, hey, its actually not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Skippy McPants posted:

Those were the Unseen, mechs from very early in BT's lifespan when all the designs were stolen from anime. You probably had the Battletech 3rd Edition boxed set, which came with about a dozen plastic minis.

They weren't stolen, their likeness was licensed from a toy company that turned out to not have sub licensing rights. :goonsay:

Or something like that. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Maybe they should have waited another month?

Well that's only advanced options do we hopefully can change resolution and bare minimum stuff like that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

No Grasshoper in beta :emo:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Current list of Beta Mechs (With Points/C-Bill cost included)

Assault 'Mechs
AS7-D Atlas ($11.4)
BLR-1G Battlemaster ($9.9)
VTR-9S Victor ($8.3)
VTR-9B Victor ($8.2)
AWS-8T Awesome ($8.2)
AWS-8Q Awesome ($7.7)

Heavy 'Mechs
ON1-V Orion ($8.0)
ON1-K Orion ($7.9)
CPLT-C1 Catapult ($7.1)
QKD-5A Quickdraw ($6.8)
QKD-4G Quickdraw ($6.7)
JM6-A Jagermech ($6.7)

Medium 'Mechs
KTO-18 Kintaro ($6.1)
GRF-1S Griffin ($5.6)
HBK-4P Hunchback ($5.6)
SHD-2H Shadowhawk ($5.4)
TBT-5N Trebuchet ($5.3)
GRF-1N Griffin ($5.2)
SHD-2D Shadowhawk ($5.2)
CN9-AL Centurion ($5.0)
CN9-A Centurion ($4.8)
HBK-4G Hunchback ($4.6)
VND-1R Vindicator ($4.2)

Light 'Mechs
JR7-D Jenner ($3.9)
PNT-9R Panther ($3.0)
COM-2D Commando ($2.5)
COM-1B Commando ($2.1)
LCT-1S Locust ($2.1)
LCT-1M Locust ($2.1)
UM-R60 Urbanmech ($2.1)
LCT-1V Locust ($1.8)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Rygar201 posted:

Isildur, do you know if there are/plans to add animations for mechs falling forward too?

Unless it rolled onto its back while falling forward people would complain they can't shoot the back armor when a mech face planted.

Actually can you back shoot a fallen mech from behind while they're on the ground?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

No, the Argo isn't atmospheric cabable. It comes with two Leopard dropships that shuttle things planetside.

Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't just make the Argo a jumpship. Then again, maybe that is getting a bit too Mary Sue Merc Company.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Jump ships typically don't go anywhere near planets though, because they're usually busy spending days recharging their jump drives via extremely fragile solar sails.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Zaodai posted:

Wait, that guy is a goon? :staredog: Who is he in the discord?

I'm guessing Skoll means the "official" Battletechgame discord. (Probably not official)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Phrosphor posted:

peep the 8k post count on a year and a bit old forum for a game that only just hit a limited beta.

That really is crazy, I mean, I've got 19,000 posts in 8 years of SA and I think *I* post too much.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, but we unfortunately don't live in a perfect world.

The official forums being full of crazy is not surprising, remember what the MWO forums were like? Here are some of my favorite reminders!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, its what I get for posting in the XIV thread. I'll change it eventually.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Harmony Gold drama takes another twist.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It appears to be HG suing Tatsunoko.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Judging by a few screens they showed and their comments, I'm pretty sure that mission is basically one of the tutorial/prologue missions. You're apparently still "slumming" it in a single Leopard at that point.*

* Nevermind just owning a Leopard probably makes you above average as far as no-name merc outfits go.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Flaggy posted:

How limited? Single player only?

Multiplayer only

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Q_res posted:

That's not true at all. There's a singleplayer Skirmish mode as well as Opt-In multiplayer.

Right, sorry, forgot about the skirmish since it was pretty limited and the AI very dumb when I tried it when it first came out

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Just like Free Traders in Traveller huh? "We made it so you can't just stay in the black doing boring fedex work to force you to go on adventures"

Well, that explains why Sumire is pissed. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'm sad I could never find the video where we read off a bunch of choice forum quotes in overwrought nerd voices.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 21, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeaaah... I'm not feeling it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Just in case anyone hasn't already seen it, Phrosphor is kludging together a mercenary campaign game using the HBS Beta and Mercenary management tools meant for the tabletop game.

Its pretty cool so far, and just makes me even hungrier for this game to come out!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Phrosphor posted:

My other favorite part of the stream:

"Will there be a Star League Cache you can uncover in the campaign"

All three look directly at the camera, "No!"

Mike can't help but smirk.

So... yes?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Decided tonight I'd name my mercenary company the Fortune Hunters after the signature Pirate Gang of another FASA great, Crimson Skies. Then I got bored and decided to make a Battletech version of their logo:

Not sure I'm completely satisfied with the Lovers card art, but it was a decent way to kill an evening. And AMechwarrior pointed out that being able to use custom logos is probably going to be a thing in the Single Player based on Beta, so that is cool!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

isildur posted:

Salvage is also Not Easy: I've been trying to get this Wolverine WVR-6K built for days, but every place I look has only one part, and it's for a -6R. Because some rear end in a top hat (me) decided that a Kurita variant should be really uncommon in the rimward Periphery. So I'm stuck just taking missions and hoping I spot another one on the field so I can salvage it for the final bit I need.

I just want to say, I appreciate logic like this. Even if I may hate it once I'm playing the game. :v:

[edit] Don't forget Steiner variants are probably similarly uncommon! :D

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 17, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

TheParadigm posted:

If I recall your previous post right, a wrecked meck is worth 1 salvage bit, and you need 3 to fabricate a fresh one?

I suppose my question is: for mostly pristine mechs, how is salvage handled? You know, mechs killed by headshots, pilot death.

If you kick off legs, but everything else is intact, is that two salvage bits, or just one still?

Can you sometimes snag the whole mech, or does it force you to go through the 3 piece method?

I believe it was mentioned that a salvage mech is worth 1-3 components depending on how trashed it was when it was "Destroyed". So a mech that takes no damage except an AC/20 round to the cockpit might be worth 2 or even 3 components in salvage.

Speaking of Salvage, I hope we get more info on that soon. As the salvage system laid out in the Q&A is something I have severe issues/doubt with, but I'm hoping I misunderstood the nature of the pick system.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, thats the way I read it. You pick a few things then X number of other things are randomly given to you, and I hate that. Being given a small laser or machinegun counts as an item the same as being given a Top-End PPC or mech chassis component. So my salvage earnings could be either big (from the high end PPC) or bupkiss (the machinegun) and I have almost no control over it other than negotiating more picks beforehand. The randomness annoys me, but I can deal with it, but I greatly dislike the idea that an item is an item regardless of value.

I'd much rather it be a more traditional system where it totals up the value of all the salvage in C-bills and you are awarded a percentage (negotiated during the contract offer) of this value that you then basically "shop" for salvage by picking what you want (or what your employer is willing to give) until you run out of salvage pay and/or cash out the remaining value (or are just outright paid in cash for all the salvage, which the employer keeps). On its face it doesn't seem that complicated (and I know they've been simplifying/cutting stuff a lot) and systems like this have been the way of TT Battletech merc campaigns for years (Phros is using variants of it in his LP for example).

I guess this is one of the few areas where I'll go hardcore BTech Grog about. If an employer tried to offer me a salvage clause like that in a tabletop campaign, I'd throw the papers in his face. Sure the salvage you give me will be totally "random" and unbiased. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 18, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, which is why there usually was a stipulation in the salvage clauses where the employer gets first dibs on X% value of the salvage (assuming they were letting you "buy" some of it instead of just paying out cash), the % of the salvage you get is crap, and the salvage total value is usually lowballed by the employer.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Thanks. I want to do something else for the Lovers card, but I have no idea what I could that matches the simplistic, minimal detail/colors style of the others.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Drake_263 posted:

I'm tempted to steal that Atlas skull and crossed wrenches as an avatar, I've been using something a little like it on Discord for ages.

feel free, I got it from elsewhere myself, though I modified the atlas skull to remove some of the panel lines since it ended up looking a bit cluttered.

[edit]

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

DatonKallandor posted:

Based on the original lovers being a random woman, make the Lovers card Natasha Kerensky.

I had thought of that, but I lack the skill to make such a thing. All the existing art of her doesn't fit the simplistic style.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is that really a slip? I thought signs were pointing to April for a couple months?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Phrosphor posted:

Crossposting this from Discord, I think the ShadowHawk looks weird. I can't see the SRM2 for one thing.

It might just be a third party commissioned art piece or something.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

gently caress that gimmie a Batlletech gacha.

SSR Nastacha Kerensky waifu. Hope you also roll the rare Warhammer to put her in.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That last one is Phros. :ssh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Skoll posted:

See where I said it's from Phros above the quote?

Hah, that's what I get for skimming and posting at work.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Or are so cramped they have a habit of killing ejecting pilots due to the ejection system striking other parts of the cockpit.

Doubt the game will be modeling that for the Vindicator though. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Phrosphor posted:

People are absolutely desperate to see the mechlab in action. Show everything up to opening it and then cut to something else.

Or, if you're gonna show off more. Build the worst custom mech ever.

drastically Underarmored, totally clashing weapons, far too many heatsinks, less jump jets than the max, cram nothing but ammo in one(both) side torsos. Just whatever will make a Btech min/maxer recoil in horror.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

School Nickname posted:

I preordered on steam, forgetting that I was a backer way back. Oh well, can't wait! :toot:

If you haven't redeemed your backer code yet, give it to a friend.

Then crush them in the multiplayer.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Alchenar posted:

]=Also I bet the plot involves collecting 5 memory cores from across the periphery to supercharge the propotype Atlas II and your player character uses it to single handedly defeat the Directorate.

I.. I had successfully FORGOTTEN THAT you Jerk. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I actually really enjoyed that game but good golly the plot/writing :suicide:

Link the LP please, I missed that, I'd like to see if the game holds up to my memories. :v: